Butcher's Dozen- Realm of Shadows GA: Destruction Army

Ulf

Looking for suggestions!

I just picked up a large Destruction army, heavy on the bigger models... troggoths, ogors, etc... (not much Beastclaw, but some).

With so many cool, big models to convert & paint, I want to go very theme-y with this project; I want to theme it around one of the Mortal Realms. But I'm having trouble picking a direction and a Realm!

Should I do red skin, flame weapons, etc for Aqshy? Paint them all ghostly for Shyish? Are they all emo-goth from living in Ulgu?

I dig the idea of this army of beasts who eat everything around them, taking on the character (flavor? terrible pun) of the Realm  they live in.

Well, the Magma Dragon (https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Magma-Dragon) gets a bonus for being in the Realm of Fire, so it would be a good one to include in on your army if going fire-themed and having big monsters.  I don't know off hand of any others that get realm bonuses though.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to theme an army in a way.  It's a chance to give your army some cohesive visual element that ties everything together.  Normally that is done with basing, especially if you want to use different colors for armor and such between factions/sub-factions.  I hope to do an Ogor army themed around the Heavy Weapons Guy from Team Fortress 2 some day, once time and money allows.

So if you are asking if it's a good idea to have a themed army, I say yes!

I'm currently thinking the same for my fledgling Destruction army.  I think the key bit is to work out an overall "what's your army doing" concept initially.  Has your army grown up living in your chosen realm (maybe looking for their own territory or to expand)?  Is it off to conquer this realm to set up an Empire to rule with an ironfist?  Is it simply marauding off with the intention of smashing anything that moves?

Once you've got that you can think of an overall theme for basing and the miniatures themselves.  Part of me wants to paint my Orruks with a snowy base to tie in with their blue-tone skin, but another part wants to do something different and maybe theme them fighting in Shyish with ash-grey bases and lots and lots of skulls and bones.  One other thing to remember is that the realms are unimaginably vast, we've barely had a fraction revealed so far, so there is absolutely nothing to stop you coming up with something really random - maybe parts of Ashqy is lush grassland, but the grass is tinged red due to it's close link with the realm of fire.  Maybe within Ghur there's the ruins of a long dead civilisation?  I honestly think that providing you've a coherent scheme you can largely do something you fancy rather than being forced into a specific style :)

I'm torn between doing Realm of Fire, or Realm of Death. 

I think Fire could be awesome, with coal-black skin and flaming eyes & hair....

But then pale white Ogors with sunken eyes and sort of Death-themed tattoos could be pretty cool, too....

Originally when I picked up Gutbusters I was going to do a Realm of Fire themed army, allying in a Firebelly to further cement the theme (Although, allies didn't exist at the time). In the end, I didn't end up going ahead with that army, but I did complete a small Hinterlands Skirmish warband.

warband03.jpg.c64d1d8f3ae383265e01e4f9e6c0ee07.jpg

Wasn't sure if I was going to do all the weapons flaming (Certainly the Grots wouldn't). The uncertainty was for the metal weapons it was fine, but how to make it work with the stone weapons.

Anyway, that was just my idea. I do certainly think it's something that hasn't been hugely explored. Especially for the more generic old world armies, I think it can really add something extra to them to theme them after particular realms.

11 hours ago, Ulf said:

I'm torn between doing Realm of Fire, or Realm of Death. 

I think Fire could be awesome, with coal-black skin and flaming eyes & hair....

But then pale white Ogors with sunken eyes and sort of Death-themed tattoos could be pretty cool, too....

Both of these sound awesome!! Think I just prefer the Death one though.

@meet.the.doctor and @someone2040 - Lovely models guys (Someone; your army reminds me of an old Chaos Dwarf army I painted for WFB 6th ed).

I'd really like to do a force of Ogors & mixed Destruction that lives in the Realm of Metal. I feel like it's one of the Realms that's sort of least represented, from what I've seen.

But I don't know how a metallic-skinned Ogor would look. I'm not sure about being able to pull it off without making them look like statues.

There's a lot of opportunity to contrast cloth and wood against a metallic skin-tone, though, so it might work.

• 1 month later...

After doing a few test models, I've decided to go with Realm of Shadow. Lots of muted, soft grey-blues as the basic palette, with purple or green as accent colors.

Here's my starting point. I picked up a huge job lot of Ogor and other Destruction models that were in kind of rough shape, and I'm slowly rehabilitating them.

FB_IMG_1510736712493.jpg

FB_IMG_1510736729687.jpg

FB_IMG_1510736719271.jpg

Those look really sweet dude. 

My only comment would be that the dorf idols in their hands don't match the quality of the rest of the model at least in the pictures.

You're troggoths look absolutely fantastic, the bases look really nice and even the axe/bone club look like you've put a massive amount of work into them. On a less well painted model I think the dorf rocks would look fine unfortunately they are the A* secondary art project next to Michelangelo's The Creation of Adam. 

Seriously though, they look stunning.

2 hours ago, Ulf said:

Thanks!  I agree about the dwarf-head rocks. :)

I'm going to go back and do some more details on them. They were literally the last thing I painted on these guys. I was kind of running out of steam.

Can totally understand that, was just quite jaring and a real shame. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks. I'm doing a set of blue and purple terrain to go with this army, too. I'm not a huge fan of how these models look individually, if I'm being honest, but as a whole army, seen together, I think they look good. 

12 hours ago, Ulf said:

Settled on a color scheme for my Ogor infantry models.

Blue-grey skin, sunken eyes, black tattoos, and muted/rusty colors in the clothing & gear. 

20180224_233046.jpg

20180224_232944.jpg

20180224_232910.jpg

20180224_232847.jpg

Nice work on the colorscheme!!!! By the way, would you mind sharing the recipe of this blue skin in the ogors? This is exactly what I was aiming for...

excelent work so far, really liked the Troggoths and the purple stonehorn!

cheers

AJ

Archived