New 2000 Points Eshin Allegiance list

Kugane

Hello all!

With the new release of the General's Handbook 2017 I have been busy working on a new Eshin list. I did some calculations and I wasn't very impressed with Nightrunners, however, Gutter Runners are performing extremely well! I came with the idea of just running a full Gutter Runner focused list.

Leaders:

1x Verminlord Deceiver

2x Skaven Deathrunner

2x Skaven Assassin

1x Arch-Warlock

Battleline:

20x Gutter Runner

20x Gutter Runner

20x Gutter Runner

20x Gutter Runner

Artillery:

6x Jezzails

The Verminlord can Skitterleap the Deathrunner into position, possibly while carrying a Assassin along with him, or otherwise the Arch-Warlock can carry an assassin. My plan is to keep putting the Assassin in different units in order to confuse my gaming group and make it unpredictable who might be carrying it.

The Gutter Runners can be set up anywhere I tactically need them to be, near an objective, or just set up all of them behind enemy lines and start causing havoc with the Verminlord Deceiver.

1 of the Deathrunners can possibly be made a General, so I can use his command ability twice as long as both the images are alive, otherwise the Deceiver is great for this role, with his reroll bonus for all Eshin units.

Have you considered double deceiver? I think thats certainly what id do if i did a pure eshin list. 

The list looks awesome btw, and seems amazing to play. I love ninjas and subterfuge too, so this is just screaming cool to me. The only reason i dont do it is my next question to you...

How are you/did you get your hands on that many gutter runners!? Are you using a proxy? The ones i have (i have 6 lol) are the old metal ones, which are pretty pricey, especially for what they are. 

8 hours ago, Flood said:

Have you considered double deceiver? I think thats certainly what id do if i did a pure eshin list. 

The list looks awesome btw, and seems amazing to play. I love ninjas and subterfuge too, so this is just screaming cool to me. The only reason i dont do it is my next question to you...

How are you/did you get your hands on that many gutter runners!? Are you using a proxy? The ones i have (i have 6 lol) are the old metal ones, which are pretty pricey, especially for what they are. 

I convert Clanrats to Gutter runners/Nightrunners, I like my stuff to have a bit of a Japanese feel to it, so I prefer my gutter runners without capes and all that. I basically took the clanrats from the boxed set, take all the robed clanrats (there is about 10 of them in each box that look Eshin, with no armour and such), give them the eshin-y looking hand weapons, glue on an extra weapon in their "shield" hand or cut off the hand and replace it with a random skaven weapon hand. Pretty straight forward conversion, but it'll do for now. Originally i tried converting Island of Blood clanrats with capes hanging over cut-away shields, but it just looked messy and I opted into the boxed set rats instead.

In the future I plan to get a bit more sophisticated Gutter runners, perhaps even with some japanese weaponry like katanas and kamas. When that happens this ugly bunch will be demoted and to Nightrunners :P.

About the 2nd Deceiver... That sounds like a great idea actually. I have been thinking of an excuse to buy a 2nd one, perhaps now is the time. I can always drop 1 Deathrunner and some Gutter runners and push a 2nd Deceiver into there.

I am actually considering to drop the Jezzails, since i can be up in people's faces turn 1 anyways. If I run 2 Verminlords I could cut out the Arch-Warlock and Jezzails and get myself 3 Warpfire Stormfiends + Warpgrinder team XD. I like the idea of having a completely empty field, and then jump onto the enemy from all directions.

Thats an interesting conversion for gutter runners! Sounds like it could work well. Do you have any pictures? I may want to try that as i love gutter runners but dont have more than 6 cause they are just so expensive. 

And ya about the list. Fielding an empty field is awesome. I think that was one of the things that made gautfyre skryre so scary (well really it was the 500 d3 mortal wounds, but ya). Youre right im not sure you need the jezails as their primary role and advantage is reach, and youll have plenty of that!

So i was wondering what that second list would look like. Man including the stormfiends is a great idea! It fits quite nicely.

2x deceiver

2x death runner

2x assassin

20x gutter runner 

20x gutter runner

10 gutter runners

3x stormfiends

1x warpgrinder

Bang on 2000 points with exactly 400 allies points. 

Seems pretty sweet!

1 hour ago, Flood said:

Thats an interesting conversion for gutter runners! Sounds like it could work well. Do you have any pictures? I may want to try that as i love gutter runners but dont have more than 6 cause they are just so expensive. 

And ya about the list. Fielding an empty field is awesome. I think that was one of the things that made gautfyre skryre so scary (well really it was the 500 d3 mortal wounds, but ya). Youre right im not sure you need the jezails as their primary role and advantage is reach, and youll have plenty of that!

So i was wondering what that second list would look like. Man including the stormfiends is a great idea! It fits quite nicely.

2x deceiver

2x death runner

2x assassin

20x gutter runner 

20x gutter runner

10 gutter runners

3x stormfiends

1x warpgrinder

Bang on 2000 points with exactly 400 allies points. 

Seems pretty sweet!

There are some guides online showing how to convert them, here is a picture I saw online and used as a reference for my own conversions (not my picture obviously):

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/BobLipp/media/cGF0aDovTmlnaHRydW5uZXIzLmpwZw==/?ref=

This person clearly put more effort than I did though, I just glued blades and handles and called it a day personally haha.

The thing i am hoping to convert over the year are some of these, I think even bloodbowl minis could work for this purpose.:

gutterrunners.jpg

Looks like its time to buy another Verminlord Deceiver this week haha. 50 Gutter Runners sounds great! :D I think in this case I'll probably put my Assassins in my Gutter Runner units, to instantly cause problems for the opponent. I need to start painting all these gutter runners. I was hoping for a black colour scheme, but then I came across this yesterday, they look decent enough for tabletop standard and rediculously easy to paint:

I think this scheme has a bit of a "night attack" vibe to it, I quite like it. I may add some glowy greens in it.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:44 AM, Flood said:

If you are not running night runners I don't see any reason not to use those models as gutter runners. They have enough options to be Wysiwig as a unit. Would be fine with me :) (and also doing the same but only run one unit as support for my verminous list)

1 hour ago, Flood said:

Ya those look pretty cool! I have too many clanrats (from 8th edition when you needed many more), maybe ill convert some. I should have thought of this sooner lol. 

The new 50 Gutter runner list has actually inspired me to put in some extra conversion work for the gutter runners. I have started some relatively big conversions from various models I had still lying around that have the newer skaven sculpts. I tried sculpting some cloaks for them but I can't seem to get the cloaks to look smooth. I really love the Golden Demon winner gutter runners and I'll focus my entire army around those kind of conversions. Time to pick up some dark eldar stuff soon for weapons haha. I'll post some examples of my gutter runners sometime this week :). Also finished converting a warpfire thrower team into a warpgrinder team (thanks to the Stormvermin grinder bits).

Just look at these, they are exactly what I expect gutter runners to look like. I'm tempted to pick up a warplightning cannon just for the crew bits to make a copy of these. The Sai Weapons are from spirit hosts (nagash set) that part was easy since its described on the post of the maker of this stuff... The other parts however, I had to go with recognition: the lower legs of the bottom gutter runner is from the skaven engineer in IoB, upper body is a crew member body from warplightning cannon. I think the top one is a crew member with a hook on his tail. The hand of the upper one is the gatekeeper on the mortis engine.

Anyone else see parts I'm missing?

11-open-gold6.jpg?w=620

Dang those do look good. I especially like the one in front. He did a good job of making it look a lot less clan ratty. I was afraid i wouldn't be able to get the image of a clanrat out of my head to think of them as gutter runners, but these accomplished that! 

And ya I'm also looking forward to seeing your conversions! :)

1 hour ago, Flood said:

Dang those do look good. I especially like the one in front. He did a good job of making it look a lot less clan ratty. I was afraid i wouldn't be able to get the image of a clanrat out of my head to think of them as gutter runners, but these accomplished that! 

And ya I'm also looking forward to seeing your conversions! :)

I think if you look at these stuff from a hystorical perspective its quite easy to get the 'clanrat' idea out of your head. I'm a historical ninjutsu enthousiast, studied quite a bit of Bujinkan the past 12 years, and when it comes to Gutter Runners, or Eshin for that matter, I can't help but compare them to Ninja. Real life ninja however, didn't look as spectacular as in the movies, in fact, most ninja would enter cities dressed as lowly farmers, travelling musicians, merchants or monks, because these occupations didn't require identification to enter cities, nor look/sound suspicious to locals. That's why a lot of every day tools were modified and used as a weapon. A kunai that they often depict ninja with was actually a tool farmers used for cutting grass and digging holes. The kama, same thing. While most stories of japanese military fighting ninja using these weapons are somewhat historically traceable, one thing is certain: ninja did not want to stick out. They had a purpose, wether it were espionage, assassination, arson or manipulation, they had to stay hidden. Also, when sneaking around, which Gutter Runners pretty much do, you don't run. Clanrats, when their shield is taken away from them, look like they are slowly crouching around. I personally love that :). Thats why I personally think that the smaller clanrats would make much better contender for Gutter Runners then how Games Workshop represents them; being agile and hyper active. 

That being said.......... WE ARE GETTING NEW SKAVEN IN SHADESPIRE! They look Eshin too O.o

Shadespire-Factions-Image1jrcn.jpg

17 hours ago, Kramer said:

The middle rat even has the claw fist thingy ?

Yes! :D I'm really looking forward to them. I am really hoping they release them next month along with the other spire stuff. If so I may end up picking up lots of them for the sake of converting.

4 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

I ran them with triple deciever, worked pretty well.  Works even better now I think.  Will def be running them out at an event next year.

Awesome! Great to hear :). Would you suggest I cut allies and aim for more deceivers? Also... What did you do in terms of diversity of your deceivers? Did you convert them or something or you play them all mono-pose?

Converted, but also used a decent summoning pool.  Thats increased now.

Allegiance: Chaos
Verminlord Deceiver (320)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)

Total: 1320/2000

Something like this, then summon up plauguebearers/fleshounds/seekers plus heroes as required.

Had snitch in there as well back then, but he's gone now

2 hours ago, Kugane said:

I am really hoping they release them next month along with the other spire stuff. If so I may end up picking up lots of them for the sake of converting.

On the community page they announced the release in oktober and the first two expansions in november. So i'm guessing november

4 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Converted, but also used a decent summoning pool.  Thats increased now.

Allegiance: Chaos
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)
5 x Gutter Runners (60)

Total: 1320/2000

Something like this, then summon up plauguebearers/fleshounds/seekers plus heroes as required.

Had snitch in there as well back then, but he's gone now

Very interresting list. I wasn't even aware that it is possible to summon as Chaos (I'm quite new to Age of Sigmar), I was under the assumption that that was a GA: Death kind of thing. I'll go check the warscrolls of fleshhounds and such now! :)

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

On the community page they announced the release in oktober and the first two expansions in november. So i'm guessing november

I completely missed the part they said expansions in november. Either way, not that much of a wait at least. Really looking forward to some nice releases.

9 hours ago, Sastopher said:

What sorts of units did you have in mind for summoning?

Plaguebearers were a must for objective holding.

Then fleshounds or Slaneesh riders for speed etc.

Tzeentch heralds are great for d6 mortal wound sniping, and now pinks which you can split down to blues/brimstones are awesome.

10 hours ago, Kugane said:

Very interresting list. I wasn't even aware that it is possible to summon as Chaos (I'm quite new to Age of Sigmar), I was under the assumption that that was a GA: Death kind of thing. I'll go check the warscrolls of fleshhounds and such now! :)

Almost all daemons are summonable, if that's even a word, and as you summon them in game it doesn't break your allegiance :)  

50 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Almost all daemons are summonable, if that's even a word, and as you summon them in game it doesn't break your allegiance :)  

That's really awesome! Thanks for the info^^. Time to pick up some random units for that purpose!

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

No worries, what are you looking into?

I was considering to use some flesh hounds for screening, the plague bearers I'm uncertain about personally. Another miniature I'm sort of considering is the Warpgnaw model, but I'm uncertain about its rulings. The tunneling ability of his seems quite useful "Tunneler between Reality: When deploying your army, you may choose to place the Warpgnaw Verminlord and a single unit of Clanrats or Stormvermin to one side and say they are set up in the twisting passages of the gnawholes between reality.", but it makes me wonder if you NEED to take a unit of clanrats, or its simply a suggestion to do so.

Archived