A Swifthawk Agents Flog (Forum Blog)

TheNotebookGM

1 hour ago, Furiyen said:

Firstly, I just want to say I find this thread overwhelmingly inspiring, and while I have devoted my own time to Order Draconis I really love what you guys are doing here. Shadow Warriors have always had a close place to my heart :)

Regarding Bolt Throwers, rather than adding them directly to the SHA list of Warscrolls, why not just have a Battalion that allows you to add a Seawarden on Foot, 2-3 Units of Spire Guard and 0-2 Bolt Throwers?..

This would then allow you to theme a Defence force lore-wise, and take a page out of the Spire of Dawn Battalion by giving all models in the Battalion the SHA keyword for Allegiance purposes?

One thing to note, is that I'm personally keen on only using GW models that GW still sells. All the Highborn units have now gone from sale, including the Bolt Throwers, and only live as rules in the High Elves Compendium. For me this speaks volumes about the Aelves as a range and their future.

Good Luck!

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for your kind words! I'm having a lot of fun workshopping this with ya'll and I'm looking forward to continuing the thread and condensing/editing the set! 

I'd have to agree with you RE: Warscrolls. I'll be saving any conversion/expansion projects until after I have a fully matched play legal army to play with. I would tend not to buy anything that I couldn't acquire on the GW store in some way. Conversions are another story since that is fun in and of itself but I'd only make my friends suffer me actually fielding something like that. Writing stuff like this is just part of the fun on my end. 

Regarding the future of the Aelves as a whole I'm sure GW will put out something for them at some point, although woe befalls any who predict the whims of game design companies. Years of D&D has taught me that. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Gecktron said:

In regards to the Bolt thrower. Im torn, on one hand, the concept of a bolt thrower fits the swifthawk agents, since nearly all SHA units are equipped with bow and arrow. On the other Hand I don't like how static they are. I don't want to dilute the armies theme of a quick force, on sky boats, horses and chariots. The Spire Guard is a issue too, but they get a pass because of the strong naval theme of the models. The bolt thrower lacks this. In addition, we already have smaller bolt throwers mounted on the Skycutter. 

I wouldn't miss Bolt Thrower or wanted Sky catamaran half as much, if Skycutter wouldn't feel so expensive for its damage output.

40 minutes ago, Budda said:

Erm in the old fluff the bolt throwers we mounted on Aelven warships. This would definitely make it fit the SHA theme.

You are right, my 6th edition army book even states that Bolt throwers are manned by members of the Lothern seaguard. 
But that doesn't mean it fits into the Swifthawk factions. We don't have any normal ships like in the world-that-was. The seas of the mortal realms are the territory of the Scourge Privateers. We only have airships, and they already have a bolt thrower variant (the sky cutter).

Its not the concept of bolt throwers itself that I don't like. Its just that the old bolt thrower model is too static to fit into the Swifthawk agents faction, in my opinion.
Setting up a immobile war machine ahead of any battle is in contrast to their quick hit-and-run play style. 
If we could just mount the bolt thrower on a more mobil platform (like a sky catamaran or a heavy chariot), the problem would be solved. 

Hmm, ok, how's about this as an idea?

Battalion: The Swift Arsenal

1 - 3 Skycutters

1 Highborn Repeater Bolt Throwers per Skycutter

Special Rules

Travel Light: Skycutters chosen in this formation may not be armed with Bolt Throwers.

Mobile Deployment: All the models in this Battalion may not deploy at the start of the battle, and instead deploy during the movement phase of your 2nd turn. Setup the Repeater Bolt Throwers anywhere on the table more than 12" from any enemy unit. Setup the Skycutter units within 12" of the Repeater Bolt Throwers, again at least 12" from any enemy unit. The units may not make a further move on this turn, but may shoot and charge as normal.

How about some disposable, mobile Repeater Bolt Throwers dropped in to the battle via Skycutter? ?

19 minutes ago, Furiyen said:

How about some disposable, mobile Repeater Bolt Throwers dropped in to the battle via Skycutter? ?

This is really fun and would be a great way to play the midfield while your spireguard march. Charge reavers in first turn and drop these guys right behind them.

I think you'd have to price it a little higher to match the pricing of other battalions in light of GHB2017, and maybe make the skycutters drop w/in three inches of the repeaters and at least 9" from the enemy. Let's you drop repeaters and move into charge range on "momentum". Maybe add a Skywarden to drop in with them in the battalion? I'd buy that for 130 points with some battleline and a Highwarden. 

11 hours ago, Furiyen said:

Hmm, ok, how's about this as an idea?

Battalion: The Swift Arsenal

1 - 3 Skycutters

1 Highborn Repeater Bolt Throwers per Skycutter

Special Rules

Travel Light: Skycutters chosen in this formation may not be armed with Bolt Throwers.

Mobile Deployment: All the models in this Battalion may not deploy at the start of the battle, and instead deploy during the movement phase of your 2nd turn. Setup the Repeater Bolt Throwers anywhere on the table more than 12" from any enemy unit. Setup the Skycutter units within 12" of the Repeater Bolt Throwers, again at least 12" from any enemy unit. The units may not make a further move on this turn, but may shoot and charge as normal.

Not bad at all. I like the idea about dropping stuff via our Skycutters! 
Ofcourse there are a few things that can be changed to be brought more inline with the rest of the rules. Making it 9" from the enemy, have the sky cutter drop closer to the Bolt throwers, just like @TheNotebookGM said.
Also, I would cost it a little higher. Im not sure but I don't think there is any battalion left that costs below 100 points.

Besides that, great idea! I thought about making a battalion with Bolt Throwers aswell.

On 13.9.2017 at 9:16 AM, Furiyen said:

Regarding Bolt Throwers, rather than adding them directly to the SHA list of Warscrolls, why not just have a Battalion that allows you to add a Seawarden on Foot, 2-3 Units of Spire Guard and 0-2 Bolt Throwers?..

This would then allow you to theme a Defence force lore-wise, and take a page out of the Spire of Dawn Battalion by giving all models in the Battalion the SHA keyword for Allegiance purposes?

Based on this post I came up with the "Guard of the Ivory Tower" Battalion

• 1 Seawarden on foot
  • 2 Units of Spire Guard
  • 2 Bolt Throwers
  • 0-1 Reavers

Special Rules:

Shield wall:  The disciplined soldiers of the Spire Guard need only one command to raise their shields as one and form a perfect shield wall.
In your Hero Phase, you may choose up to two Spire Guard units of this battalion. These units can't move, attack or pile in this turn but add 1 to their Saving rolls.

Harrasing Fire: When fighting against a Swifthawk Agents Force, a enemy has to move cautiously, unless he wishes for a quick death by a thousand white feathered arrows.
When a enemy unit was wounded by shooting attacks from two or more Units of this battalion, reduce their movement by 2" until your next Hero Phase

Point Costs: (XXX)

Thats just a quick formation I have thought about. I wanted to show that this is not a normal part of the Swifthawk Agents forces. This is a special formation, thats all about protecting a specific location and to be a anchor for the rest of the army. So the special rules are more defensiv, they need back-up by a more traditional force to defeat the enemy.

On 9/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, Gecktron said:

When a enemy unit was wounded by shooting attacks from two or more Units of this battalion, reduce their movement by 2" until your next Hero Phase

I like this. With terrain offering little difficulty and I don't know any spell that'd slow down a unit, it's a step I'd like to see.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

I like this. With terrain offering little difficulty and I don't know any spell that'd slow down a unit, it's a step I'd like to see.

The SCE Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows have a similar ability which reduces the charge distance of a enemy units when they direct all shooting attacks against the same unit.

But thats more a defense against getting charged. Where this ability should limit the enemies movement to strenghten the Swifthawks advantage (out maneuvering the enemy).

Different Topic altogether: Named Characters
I know, we should focus foremost on allegiances abilities, battalions and maybe a few point changes. Things that add to the existing faction, no mayor changes. But for me, thinking about potential new units is half the fun for me. So please excuse all the rough Ideas I throw in this thread.

Back to the point, I thought about adding one named Character. Not something mayor like a God/Demi-God like Nagash, Allarielle or the Celestant-Prime. But just a special kind of mortal, strong and unique amongst his faction but still a mortal. Something like Brokk Grungsson, Lord-Magnate of Barak-Nar.

I came up with the Grey Rider

59bc3f677f35b_2017_09.13SchleifnerAoS.png.33bf4a906452dffbbb3a389bb582d66a.png

The Grey Rider is not a single person but a title within the Swifthawk Agents. The title of Grey Rider is given to the chosen warrior who manages to track the the magical steed, known as Sulegur, deep within the Realm of Shadow and to tame it afterwards. Some believe its a part of the mysterious shadows of Ulgu that willed itself into a living thing, while others see it as one of the legendary god-beasts. 
But no matter what the true nature of this creature is, once it bonded with its rider it will be loyal to the death. Both will ride across the realms, across the lands and the seas or across the skies itself, unfazed by any obstacle. 

The Grey Rider carries a number of different weapons. His Starwood Bow that will always hit with absolut precision, a lance made from best elven steel, a swift strike short sword for close combat and a Uurga from the realm of Ghur, so that nobody will escape these warriors of order.

In rule terms: 

W: 8 M: 12" B: 8 Sv: 4+

Special Rules:

• When making a run move, add 1 D6. The Grey Rider can still shot after making a run move.
  • The Grey Rider ignores the rend of any shooting attack
  • The Grey Rider has the FLY ability
  • The Grey Rider can't be this armies warlord

Weapons:

Starwood Bow
20"/2/2+/3+/-2/D3

Lance and short sword (the same stats as similar weapons)

Uurga (Lasso pole)
Choose a enemy unit within 3", this unit can't move (including teleports but can still pile-in) as long as it is within 3" of the Grey Rider,  reduce its attacks by 1 (to a minimum of 1).
Doesn't work on models with the Keyword BEHEMOTH.

I think about adding maybe some aura or hero phase abilities but Im not sure. I will have to compare its current strength to other named characters. 

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Here a picture of the first model of my new Swifthawk agents army:

Spoiler

21754946_1504706116275815_1032173035_o.jpg.1681fb8f2a54ffa31890f18699999c2a.jpg

So, rather than lay out a bunch of chapters I thought it'd be fun if we laid out our own. Mechanically I think it is important all they add is a skybanner, although I thought adding an ally would also be cool. Personally, I think I'll end up running a mixed Order army in "Matched Play" because I really want to mix in Fyreslayers. I think the two are a natural combination, as noted before, so here is my contribution to Chapters.

"Montigeaux's Harriers"

Montigeaux was a Swifthawk of great fame, long since dust, and remains a symbol of ardor for the Swifthawk mission. His Harriers were known for their bravery, speed, and pure force of attack. Early in his career Montigeaux came to the aid to a small lodge of Fyreslayer duardin who had been displaced in the wars against Chaos, now beset again by a bleating army of Brayherd. The Harriers charged, without Montigeaux's official order so well did the Harriers know their general, into the Brayherd flank; disorganizing their ranks and overcoming their shamans in short order. Montigeaux himself smashed their mystical altar stone, carrying it high into the air and dropping it off a cliff. The duardin were impressed with these aelves. Their disregard for safety bordered on nihilism and matched the Fyreslayers own singleminded love of battle. At the feast thrown that night to celebrate their victory they even acquired a taste for the wine the aelves drank, which was deceptively potent in its fruitiness.

The Runefather thanked Montigeaux by promising him that, once they were resettled, members of his Lodge would ever supplement the ranks of the Swifthawk Agents.

In the years hence the chapter has grown, forming a privateer union of small armies, all charged with defending the grasslands they inhabit and the Orderly folk who travel them.

SKYBANNER: SWIFTHAWK AGENTS armies bearing the colors of Montigeaux's Harriers may add the following effect to their list of Skybanner abilities:

Friendly units may pile in an additional 3" this turn, and need end their movement with 1/2" of the nearest enemy unit instead of nearest enemy model. 

Montigeaux's Harriers gain Fyreslayers as allies and lose Sylvaneth and Wanderers as allies.

This is my plan for 2k

High Warden

1 Skywarden

3 Skycutters

2x10 Reavers 

30 Spire Guard

Runesmiter

20 Vulkite Beserkers

Plan here is to deep strike in the Vulkites to shake things up and force a reaction and then charge the skycutters, Skywarden, and one unit of Reavers in to bail them out while the other reavers and high warden hunt big hitters and the spire guard take objectives.

50 minutes ago, TheNotebookGM said:

This is my plan for 2k

High Warden

1 Skywarden

3 Skycutters

2x10 Reavers 

30 Spire Guard

Runesmiter

20 Vulkite Beserkers

Plan here is to deep strike in the Vulkites to shake things up and force a reaction and then charge the skycutters, Skywarden, and one unit of Reavers in to bail them out while the other reavers and high warden hunt big hitters and the spire guard take objectives.

That said, it'll take me forever to buy 4 skycutter boxes so I'll definitely be posting reports involving blobs of swordmasters and 2 high wardens in the meantime.

I plan to field a general Order army. Opponents with a good armour are a problem, what we've got is a High Warden and I'll probably use him but that's not really enough. Spireguard can tickle and perhaps whittle an enemy unit little by little, if you're fortunate enough. It'd be neat, if there would be enough solutions within the allegiance, however sadly I'll have to look for units outside of it. I think I'll go with Frosthearth Phoenix and either with Lion Rangers or Phoenix Guard. 

That said, I'm playing skirmish battles at the moment. The first two command abilities in skirmish are decently thematic for a SHA general. (Re-rolls to hit of 1 within 6" or +1 to wound within 6" of the general).

Im sorry for not contributing anything the last few days...

Anyways!

I worked on the GREY RIDER again. (This time I even used colors)

59c19fef2db44_2017_09.19SchleifnerAoScolor.png.0a9517b9b0d52ba38ec5f5a6bb6ed3bd.png

In regards to the rules, thanks to @Double Misfire, who kindly pointed out that Behemoth is not a Keyword. So of course that has to be changed to MONSTER and WAR MACHINE. I don't want this lasso to work on the Kharadron Airships either :D 
I intended it to pin heroes or smaller units. So that the Grey Rider can hold them in one place until the rest of the army arrives. 

Archived