Is it time to get competitive?!

Farthestgoose

Hi all, I've finally pulled the trigger and gone from forum lurker/podcast listener to an active member of the community after a concerted effort to up my hobby game this year.

I've been playing 40k and fantasy/AoS for over 25 years now on and off. This year (as I do most years) I decided to make a genuine effort to increase the amount I was playing and improve my mediocre painting skills. The difference this year is I've managed it. I've probably only played 10 games this year so far but it's a big improvement on previous years and, although it still takes me an age to paint stuff, I'm much happier with the quality of my painting.

The one thing I still struggle with is staying focussed on one project at a time. I'm sure the rest of you never have more than one army on the go or get distracted by new shiny things! :P

As a way of focussing my mind and hobby, and giving myself some hard deadlines to keep up my hobby motivation I've decided I should finally enter some events. I listen to a lot of the UK based podcasts and have done for many years and, although I'm not a competitive gamer at all, the tournament gamers in the UK seem a sound bunch. It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario (that one's in GHB2017 right?!). I have no painted armies so can't just jump into an event (Blood and Glory this year is way too soon for me to be confident I'll have an army finished in time) but without an event deadline my army painting lacks a little focus. My current plan is to bite the bullet with an event in early 2018 and force myself to get working.

I don't help myself as I've also just started a completely new project which I'll post up eslewhere on the forum as it grows. I fell in love with the models in the new Venom Clan box so I'm currently working towards a 2000 point pure Spiderfang Grot army. I know, I know, I'm a power gamer who is only interested in the new filth :D

Having never played competitively and having chosen such an interesting army I'm sure a few of you may bump into me on the bottom tables at next years big events but I'm not in it to win it right now, just to meet some new friends, drink a pint or twelfty and paint some decent models along the way.

See you on the scene!

Rob/Goose  

Pure Spiderfangs sound amazing.

If you've never been to an event/tournament before the non GT events held at Warhammer World are always a good starting point. They've got a much more laid back, less "gamey" atmosphere than a lot of independent events, are played on beautiful boards and very well run, with the added bonus of being able to visit Warhammer World. If you've got a mate who's interested in going too, the doubles tournaments at Warhammer World usually only require 1000 points per player and are a great way to start playing at events without neededing a full 2k force painted. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived