Skaven Generals Handbook 2017

Vandrare

Question

Hi guys, I've spoken to a few of you recently about my current Skaven list and how I can make it legal for 'pitched battle plans' 

I started building a Skaven army a few months ago with absolutely no idea. Selecting models I like etc etc but still staying true to point values and fairness for my opponents but was informed on the weekend my list wouldn't be able to be used on pitched battle plans. 

What I would like to know is, what do I need to do to make it legal and take all my models I have currently got and also once this is done, what will my allegiance be? Very new to hobby and slightly confused. I have tiresly been painting and don't want to sacrifice anything if I can. Here is my list below. Look forward to hearing your answers. Thankyou 

1 Skaven warlord 

20 stormvermin 

1 Plague priest 

20 Plague monks 

1 verminlord corruptor 

3 Stormfiends 

1 warp grinder weapon team 

1 poison wind mortar team 

3 jezzails 

1 Arch-warlock 

1 hell pit abomination 

4 answers to this question

Hi @Vandrare, welcome to AoS and the forum.

You might have posted this question in the wrong forum and so a mod should probably move it to the Grand Alliance: Chaos forum.

The collection of models you've posted isn't currently a "legal" list for matched play, but is totally usable in open and narrative games, and I'm sure nobody would mind playing against for a friendly matched play game while you build up your army.  Matched play armies require battleline units, two for 1000 point games and three for 2000 point ones.

Stormvermin, Plague Monks and Stormfiends all become battleline units when your army qualifies for Verminus, Pestilens and Skyre allegiance respectively, which your current collection doesn't. Because your army contains a mix of skaven clans I wouldn't recommend sacrificing the units you've painted so far and focusing on a single clan, but instead painting three units of Clanrats, or even some other Chaos grand alliance battleline troops to make it legal for matched play. You can find out which units are battleline by looking at their matched play profiles in the latest General's Handbook (2017).

A great way to quickly build up skaven battleline is the Spire of Dawn starter box, which costs the same amount as a Start Collecting box. It contains not only two 20-rat units of quick to assemble clanrats, but a warpfire thrower, poison wind mortar, two rat ogres and three skaven characters, as well as an entire aelf army you can trade or sell to a local Order player. Probably the best value set GW currently produce!

60010299009_SpireofDawnENG01.jpg

Allegiance-wise your army currently qualifies for Chaos allegiance, as all the different skaven clans (frustratingly) form their own separate allegiances. Chaos allegiance isn't too flashy but comes with a couple of neat magic items that can help cover a few of the skaven's natural weaknesses (running away!). If you ever wanted to build up an army focused primarily on Skyre or Pestilens models, both clans now have their own boutique allegiances full of characterful and powerful abilities for their heroes and units.

Good luck with  the rats! :D 

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Hi @Vandrare, welcome to AoS and the forum.

You might have posted this question in the wrong forum and so a mod should probably move it to the Grand Alliance: Chaos forum.

The collection of models you've posted isn't currently a "legal" list for matched play, but is totally usable in open and narrative games, and I'm sure nobody would mind playing against for a friendly matched play game while you build up your army.  Matched play armies require battleline units, two for 1000 point games and three for 2000 point ones.

Stormvermin, Plague Monks and Stormfiends all become battleline units when your army qualifies for Verminus, Pestilens and Skyre allegiance respectively, which your current collection doesn't. Because your army contains a mix of skaven clans I wouldn't recommend sacrificing the units you've painted so far and focusing on a single clan, but instead painting three units of Clanrats, or even some other Chaos grand alliance battleline troops to make it legal for matched play. You can find out which units are battleline by looking at their matched play profiles in the latest General's Handbook (2017).

A great way to quickly build up skaven battleline is the Spire of Dawn starter box, which costs the same amount as a Start Collecting box. It contains not only two 20-rat units of quick to assemble clanrats, but a warpfire thrower, poison wind mortar, two rat ogres and three skaven characters, as well as an entire aelf army you can trade or sell to a local Order player. Probably the best value set GW currently produce!

60010299009_SpireofDawnENG01.jpg

Allegiance-wise your army currently qualifies for Chaos allegiance, as all the different skaven clans (frustratingly) form their own separate allegiances. Chaos allegiance isn't too flashy but comes with a couple of neat magic items that can help cover a few of the skaven's natural weaknesses (running away!). If you ever wanted to build up an army focused primarily on Skyre or Pestilens models, both clans now have their own boutique allegiances full of characterful and powerful abilities for their heroes and units.

Good luck with  the rats! :D 

Thankyou very much for going out of your way to respond mate I really appreciate that. I will do exactly what you instructed and just keep playing open play games until I've painted 60 clan rats. Then the problem will be solved. 

Thanks again for responded. Brendan 

If you do not mind getting battleline that is out of your theme, you could get away with one box of chaos warriors. That would let you split them into units of 5 and complete the battleline requirements with one box. 

If you want skaven mainly then spire of dawn is probably the best deal.

Archived