Double Misfire

Hey, new here but just wanted t say this is a fantastic thread with some great advice.

Not sure whether you are still doing this since the last post was from a while ago, but I hope so because the insight you've given me is invaluable. I've just returned to my old Ironweld project and i've begun reorganising based on advice i've collected - alot of it from here. So thank you, and if this thread hasnt completely died i'll return with a report on how my own force performed :)

Thanks!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AdrianDrake22

Not dead, just busier with work than I expected to be!

I'd love to know how your Ironweld have performed in games. Do you have any pictures of your stuff to share? :) 

In the meantime: whoop, Lord-Ordinator! This guy's described as an engineer, I wonder if he'll come with the engineer keyword? Unlikely, but we can all dream. 9_9

Vorras.jpg

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

I think it's completely likely he's an engineer. Why would it be unlikely?

It's less him being and engineer (which the community site article already introduces him as), and more about him having the ENGINEER keword that allows Ironweld artillery to benefit if he's stood next to it. The Empire compendium's Engineer on Mechanical Steed and the Kharadon Endrin Master are both engineers based on their respective job descriptions, but don't have the ENGINEER keword. :)

18 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

@AdrianDrake22

Not dead, just busier with work than I expected to be!

I'd love to know how your Ironweld have performed in games. Do you have any pictures of your stuff to share?

Excellent!

So far the games I've played with my Ironweld are all from quite a long time ago, before the Kharadron came out. I'm currently waiting for a game with my new updated force this week so I'll let you know :) The event that sticks in my mind most clearly from the old games was Archaon reflecting a cannon ball with shield back at the cannon and killing it. Sad times :(

I'll also post up pictures as and when I finish painting things. For now here's a pic of my Cogsmith.

IMG_20180103_114024.jpg

IMG_20180103_114053.jpg

@AdrianDrake22

He looks awesome - I love the dirty white of his armour and the extra cogs you've based him with.

For the sake of keeping the thread going, here are some pictures of my converted Gunmaster I took a while ago. Pictures of the rest of my Ironweld to come when they're next not in a miniatures case and I have time to take them!

9LGnwil.jpg

y4cBWSQ.jpg

kA4soa7.jpg

17 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

It's less him being and engineer (which the community site article already introduces him as), and more about him having the ENGINEER keword that allows Ironweld artillery to benefit if he's stood next to it. The Empire compendium's Engineer on Mechanical Steed and the Kharadon Endrin Master are both engineers based on their respective job descriptions, but don't have the ENGINEER keword. :)

I figured it was about the keyword.. didn't know that about those other engineers though... I guess that makes it less likely indeed.

Great advice in this thread.

And since we're sharing, here's the gyrocopter I painted up as an ally for my Overlords army. Sounds like running him with a Steam Gun is the way to go. I think I'll eventually make it a whole Tempest's Eye army. I also have a Knight Venator and want to get some javelin Prosecutors to make it a wholly airborne force. 

image.png.2882fcc6b81b39ea5578678baf76efd4.png

Just wanted to say, this thread has been DELIGHTFUL. You've really made me want to keep my focus on the Ironweld Arsenal (and perhaps do my own Let's Chat on the Collegiate Arcane). Just need to get around to converting my own Steam Tank and figuring out how cheap I can snag some copters! Also, that Ordinatus is now my favorite Stormcast (Relictor/Azyros a close second.) Depending on how crazy a release comes with him, might be more Stormcast in my future. lol

4 hours ago, MacDuff said:

Has anybody tried an army with multiple Steam Tanks? I have the old metal one, but would love to customize a couple new plastic ones if they'd be effective.

I don't think the Steam Tank's the best unit in the world on paper, as for 280 matched play points there are much better ranged units and flighty behemoths available to you. With the majority of it's weapons needing a 4+ to hit, a Loremaster casting Hand of Glory is almost mandatory for a remotely functional Steam Tank, and with rules of one being the norm you're not going to get away with casting Hand of Glory twice. :(

On 03/01/2018 at 5:46 PM, Double Misfire said:

@AdrianDrake22

He looks awesome - I love the dirty white of his armour and the extra cogs you've based him with.

Thank you kindly :) My local store has started a 'Project 52' where you pledge to complete something each week, so I'm using this to help motivate me to paint all my Ironweld force. My army is based around the 'Stonebreaker Battalion' fluff in the Grand Alliance Order book, which for those who haven't seen it, is basically a siege army composed of various Order elements drawn up around a solid Ironweld core.

That game I mentioned has been postponed until next week, my opponent is currently building a large Bonesplitters army. Does anybody here have any suggestions for facing the Ol' Savage Orruks?

Lastly, I've attached more pics for those who are interested :) 

IMG_20180105_122835.jpg

IMG_20180105_184159.jpg

IMG_20180105_184334.jpg

IMG_20180105_235917.jpg

@AdrianDrake22

Wow, I love it.

The Organ Gun (is it an Organ gun or a Helstorm?) looks amazing, I love anything involving the new dwarf plastics without those silly Warcraft sized shoulderpads, and the Brettonian handgunner is aces and probably matches the look of your duardin a lot better than a conventional Empire one would, hats off!

Are you planning on using Tempest's Eye allegiance for the force?

On 1/6/2018 at 12:26 AM, AdrianDrake22 said:

Thank you kindly :) My local store has started a 'Project 52' where you pledge to complete something each week, so I'm using this to help motivate me to paint all my Ironweld force. My army is based around the 'Stonebreaker Battalion' fluff in the Grand Alliance Order book, which for those who haven't seen it, is basically a siege army composed of various Order elements drawn up around a solid Ironweld core.

That game I mentioned has been postponed until next week, my opponent is currently building a large Bonesplitters army. Does anybody here have any suggestions for facing the Ol' Savage Orruks?

Lastly, I've attached more pics for those who are interested :) 

IMG_20180105_184159.jpg

Oh they are so very pretty!  very nice indeed.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:24 PM, Lord Panther said:

Great advice in this thread.

And since we're sharing, here's the gyrocopter I painted up as an ally for my Overlords army. Sounds like running him with a Steam Gun is the way to go. I think I'll eventually make it a whole Tempest's Eye army. I also have a Knight Venator and want to get some javelin Prosecutors to make it a wholly airborne force. 

image.png.2882fcc6b81b39ea5578678baf76efd4.png

Ive gone down a similar path, cant quite field an entirely airborne force as i have Frigates not a Ironclad so some of my battleline will ave to footslog to keep up.  But Prosecutors, Khradrons and Gyrocopters.  Much more of a narrative force than competative but really looking forward to getting them finished and played in my clubs map campaign this year.  Love that copter paint shceme, might have to use it as 'inspiration' for mine :D

6 hours ago, MacDuff said:

I wish they'd bring back the Da Vinci guys with mechanical wings. I forget their name, but they were an old Dogs of War merk unit.

Ah, the Birdmen Of Catrazza.  I almost forgot about them!

I love this thread by the way!  It’s a shame the Ironweld don’t have a battleline unit but I’m hoping one day in the future that will change.

Background wise, how much do the Duardin and Humans cooperate in the Ironweld Arsenal?

9 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I love this thread by the way!  It’s a shame the Ironweld don’t have a battleline unit but I’m hoping one day in the future that will change.

Roll on Battleline Organ Guns in the GHB 2018 ;) 

Background wise, how much do the Duardin and Humans cooperate in the Ironweld Arsenal?

In Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows (which I highly recommend checking out), Ironweld members of both races seem pretty well integrated with each other with duardin teaching humans and a human gunmaster overseeing a duardin crewed cannon. Humans and duardin do seem to have their own ranks within the organisation though, and there's no mention made of duardin gunmasters or human cogsmiths (though who's to say they're not culturally specific terms for the same job?).

"To be a member of the Ironweld was to be an heir to the triumphs and losses of two nigh-extinct cultures, to walk the line between two fallen worlds, and pay homage to both, in word and deed."

On 1/8/2018 at 4:12 AM, stato said:

Ive gone down a similar path, cant quite field an entirely airborne force as i have Frigates not a Ironclad so some of my battleline will ave to footslog to keep up.  But Prosecutors, Khradrons and Gyrocopters.  Much more of a narrative force than competative but really looking forward to getting them finished and played in my clubs map campaign this year.  Love that copter paint shceme, might have to use it as 'inspiration' for mine :D

Yeah, I've got an Ironclad and a Frigate and the Gyro. I was wandering if I could make a Skycutter work as well but it's some silly elf nonsense so I won't talk about it too much in this thread.

On 06/01/2018 at 11:38 AM, Double Misfire said:

Wow, I love it.

The Organ Gun (is it an Organ gun or a Helstorm?) looks amazing, I love anything involving the new dwarf plastics without those silly Warcraft sized shoulderpads, and the Brettonian handgunner is aces and probably matches the look of your duardin a lot better than a conventional Empire one would, hats off!

Are you planning on using Tempest's Eye allegiance for the force?

Thank you :) Yes its a much modified Organ gun made from spare parts. Whilst I agree that the Brettonian models with handguns would be much more fitting for my army, I haven't got enough parts for a whole unit so the chap pictured is being used as my Gunmaster for now. I've just picked up 20 Freeguild handgunners as, having read your earlier advice, I gave them another look and realised they're amazing. I'll just have to convert them slightly to fit the theme.

I'll be looking at the Firestorm rules in the upcoming campaign next month but at the moment I dont own a copy, and therefore I dont actually know what Tempest Eye allegiance does. For now im using vanilla Order allegiance mostly to get four lots of artillery in, but I considered Disposessed allegiance for the hilarious ability to throw a unit of 30 Thunderers across the table turn one xD 

On 07/01/2018 at 3:08 PM, stato said:

Oh they are so very pretty!  very nice indeed.

Thanks :) unfortunately they dont tend to last long on the table :(

In other news I had my game in the local store today, and what an exciting mashup it was. I'll save you the wait and tell you now I lost, but it was great fun. We played Starstrike and I was up against a Bonesplitter horde. Orruks should not be that good at shooting damn it! But whilst I lost on victory points at 3 - 8 I think, I take great pleasure in the fact that at the end his casualty pile was easily twice the size of mine.

I ran a pretty simple list:

Warden King - Inspiring, Relic blade.

Warden King

10 Longbeards, 10 Warriors, 10 Warriors

30 Thunderers

10 Irondrakes

2 Cannon, 2 Organ Gun

Gunmaster

Cogsmith

Loremaster

1960 points.

Things that went well included my general (King with relic blade) successfully killing 10 Savage Orruks on his lonesome over two rounds of combat, one of my cannons hitting with both its shots and subsequently dealing 10 damage. And my Organ Gun crew repelling a Savage Boarboy charge with the aid of my Cogsmith. Things that didnt go so well was the Loremaster failing Hand of Glory (the only reason he's in the list) on the first turn; which could really have helped the Organ Gun stop the Boars before they made combat. Twice those bloody Orruks deflected cannonballs with their bloody warpaint! Image the scene for a minute, frothing greenskins charging across the field and a disciplined Duradin crew calmly loading the cannon, safe in the knowledge that their powerful warmachine will blitz the oncoming horde. The crew fires, the cannon roars and the deadly shell flies true, only to somehow bounce off some random Orruks beer-belly... the crew bewildered, are looking at the cannon and then back at the horde. What the hell just happened!?

Only one of the Organ Guns jammed so I count that as a win really. The Thunderers were ... cheated I think. The unit of 30 cost 360 points, which I understand is a hefty price, so I knew they were a bit of a risk to begin with. But my reasoning was that I didnt have any Arrow Magnets to distract fire from my artillery, so they were standing in for that part. In their defence they actually did that very well; my opponent targeted them early on and they survived until the end of the game. The artillery meanwhile lost two crew members out of 12 and a couple of wounds off of one Organ. However the Thunderers didnt put out as much hurt as the points cost would have you believe. This was in part due to my opponent cannily placing his troops just outside of range after his turn one ended. In the end I got one good volley from everything before his charges hit home because I lost the priority roll for turn two :( 

The Irondrakes similarly didnt pull their weight, they held down one flank and protected the artillery behind them for two turns, during which time they slowly punched the Orruks to death. But because they were in combat they only fire once, halving their potential damage output. I took the Longbeards and two Warden Kings with the intention of allowing both Kings to grudge an enemy unit giving my guys +2 to wound, but in the end there were very few enemy units I needed both grudges for. Next time I think ill drop the extra king and the drakes, and take of Freeguild general and some Handgunners instead.

IMG_20180110_161249.jpg

IMG_20180110_161256.jpg

IMG_20180110_161620.jpg

IMG_20180110_161627.jpg

IMG_20180111_005536.jpg

IMG_20180111_005555.jpg

Archived