GHB2017 - Dealing With Change(s) - an important read!

Major

On September 4, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Tittliewinks22 said:

Only change that has left a sour taste in my mouth was the Kharadron Thunderers.

I refuse to accept or acknowledge the excuse of "we changed the warscroll to match what comes in the box" when stuff like Stormfeinds and even the arkanaut company don't follow suit. 

Having a complete warscroll change that invalidates a 4 month old book that people spent hundreds on to build according to the presumed play-tested rules is laughable.  Not to mention they still sell the damn unit cards on their website without this change.

This.

On September 4, 2017 at 11:50 PM, Major said:

maybe some of the above steps could help with that Thunderers problem your having? I think it was an ok change...

Because you clearly didn't spend hundreds of dollars on Thunderers boxes that will never hit the table.

On September 5, 2017 at 7:28 AM, Auticus said:

A big part of getting angry at the new rules is simply GW has a decades honored practice of invalidating your army to bring forth new armies that are the hotness...   

Except most of us didn't think these invalidations would happen 3 months after release...

On September 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM, SuperHappyTime said:

Personally, I'm more annoyed with "Sunshine Pumpers" than I am with the Negative Nancys. I've seen more threads and heard more podcast/youtube rants about people complaining than I have actual complainers. Maybe Ben is doing a good job of deleting complaint threads down, I dunno. 

Contrary to popular belief, it's beneficial to everyone that someone complains and voices concern, when it's needed. If no one voiced concern about a lack of balancing structure (aka Points, because "Don't be a ******" doesn't usually work for pickup games), we may not have points today (or at least in the timely manner in which we received them).

This x100.

I played Warhammer 40K from 5th Edition all the way through 7th Edtion, and I can tell you that change is going to happen, and the best you can do is try to enjoy the game.  My Imperial Guard and Space Wolves/Marines had positions all over the board on effectiveness and "competitiveness" over the years.  I was taking Ogryns because they were cool to me.  I took Thunderwolf Cavalry when the kits were brand new and they weren't overpowered.  I would bring an Imperial Knight with my Space Marines, and use Land Speeders as fire support.  Some of my favorite kits have been the underpowered weaklings for the past 7 years.

How am I affected by the changes in the GH2017?  Not much, actually.  With the points discounts on units and increase on Battalions, my entire  playable Destruction army went down 10 points in total.  That's right, TEN.  ONE-ZERO.  I can safely say that I have never had an army have such a small percentage-change in points between a major update like this before.  As such, my army is basically the exact same in construction, and looks to play similarly once I get a chance to play the GH2017 rules.  Granted, I play Ironjawz, and the army is basically move-forward-and-crump-things, but that's what drew me to the army initially: Orky simplicity!  Waaagh!

I reject the changes I don't like. If someone really has a problem with me using old warscrolls with my metal wanderer army, they can pick one of my other armies to fight. 

While I do pay them to write rules for me, occasionally GW goes a direction I can't follow. I'm going to complete my project anyways, with or without their support. I don't need their permission to have fun.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:51 AM, Thomas Lyons said:

Because you clearly didn't spend hundreds of dollars on Thunderers boxes that will never hit the table.

@Thomas Lyons I wish I could say you were right, however, I did indeed. $210 to be exact :( Since GHB2017 they have hit table twice, won once and a couple of em will be in a game of skirmish today. Maybe I've just gotten used to this happening (which may not always be a good thing) so am no longer surprised when it happens.

10 hours ago, Auticus said:

Do you have a TLDR for that video?

Regarding the KO, apparently in a panel the designers of the KO book full on admitted that it was a mistake.  They did not have the full kitted out miniatures yet and built the warscroll around a configuration that was not on the table for the kit.  The book was already going to press and so they adjusted it on this round of errata.  The guys on Warhammer Weekly were understanding to a point but felt that the mea culpa should have come quicker but in the end that there was no conspiracy to get people to try to get more kits just for the one weapon configuration... it was never meant to be.   They did not go into any other changes than that.

They talk about a lot of other things as well that you might like but mostly in cursory fashion including that the Narrative event at Nova was massively popular and that it was supposed to be over by midnight but they kept playing until 2:30 AM because everyone was so into it (and using treachery cards and what not as well).

They went over a lot of Shadespire stuff as well and shared lots of details about the decks, it will be a seasonal event.. the four factions we see now are probably it for initial launch but still no talk or confirmation about whether the warbands are customizable.

They spoke quite a bit about the next two years being huge for AoS starting with the Deathrattle stuff the other side of Christmas and the big campaign they teased is much bigger than just Death, it should have a lot of stuff to move the entire story along.  They hinted that the design team really doesn't know what to do with humans in the AoS world for the long run.  Discussion came up that they could actually fit into every grand alliance in some way but at this time that is not planned.

I have appreciated the last two (which are the first two I have seen of it).  It is cool to get info on what transpires at the Tournaments and Conventions I cant get to, especially the panels with the designers and staff at GW as well as insight from impassioned AoS fans.

Has it come up at all in what you and Vince have heard regarding customizable warbands in Shadespire?  I don't love deck building so that will be the make or break trait of that system for me.

Archived