Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

wont really know until the book drops but really depends on which heros can res stuff

even with the knight of shrouds that would boost the effectiveness of the army, like if archan doesnt have to be the general and can still heal units they will be tonnes stronger

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sold on the knight of shrouds being your general. 

His command ability specifically states units wholly within. Which really limits his effectiveness as a 5 wound model.

However if you have Arkhan as a general in a sacrament list you can add 6 inches to all spells and you can summon your spirit hosts out of grave markers meaning you have a strong tanky, mortal wound machine ( especially if there is some damned terrain ) that can be brought back and buffed with van hels in the opponents face quite early.

With the additional bonus of tanky shielded casters who can bring the hurt from your own zones due to extra ranges on death spells. 

What's going to make or break it for me is whether the spell lores have good ranged dmg spells.

5 hours ago, Ashtyn said:

Based off of the current previews do you guys think you will run one of the new allegiances or stick with Nigthaunt? 

I feel like sacrament might be really upping the value of spirit hosts, especially with the ability to be affect by vanhels now.

What are you guys thinking?

I think new allegiances will be better, but running a bunch of non nh characters, and needing non nh battleline, kind of stops the army from feeling like a nh army.  At that poi t, you're just a generic death army with some nh units, and that was already better than a pure nh list, imo.

27 minutes ago, Sception said:

I think new allegiances will be better, but running a bunch of non nh characters, and needing non nh battleline, kind of stops the army from feeling like a nh army.  At that poi t, you're just a generic death army with some nh units, and that was already better than a pure nh list, imo.

I'm not to sure about feel though.

Mortis engines look very Nighthaunty.

All morghasts have spirits on the base.

Necromancers have always summoned or communed with spirits in a lore sense.

If spirits don't become battle line in sacrament you can run 3 units of dire wolves ( which can be painted as spectral dogs ) and easily convert a spirit based corpse cart.

The loadstone works amazingly well with regening Hexwraiths and spirit hosts (and dire wolves). We have yet to see a new hexwraith warscroll, I'm expecting some changes since they outright suck atm.

Anyhow I think a sacrament list could definitely look and feel nighthaunty. Especially since we can now get these models back! Making unrendable tarpits which can also dish out the hurt and deep strike due to gravesites.

I can't help but feel excited for this release :) 

8 minutes ago, Ashtyn said:

If spirits don't become battle line in sacrament you can run 3 units of dire wolves ( which can be painted as spectral dogs ) and easily convert a spirit based corpse cart.

Literally any unit could be converted or painted ghostly.  You can leave the heads off some blood knights, paint them pale blue or green, and run a whole soulblight army of ghostly headless horsemen.  Might even be a cool ghostly army, but that wouldn't make it a nighthaunt army.  :P

2 minutes ago, Sception said:

Literally any unit could be converted or painted ghostly.  You can leave the heads off some blood knights, paint them pale blue or green, and run a whole soulblight army of ghostly headless horsemen.  Might even be a cool ghostly army, but that wouldn't make it a nighthaunt army.  :P

True, guess it comes down to whether you define the Army by its keywords or its theme.

The main reason why I feel that a nighthaunt army and sacrament go so well is because that's what most nighthaunt armies were running as allies, Arkhan!

Deepstrike shenanigans now occur through grave sites so it seems as if the old nighthaunt allegiance is merged into all the legion abilities. Will be intriguing to see how it pans out. 

I personally expect nighthaunt to get their own book in the not too distant future.  Thats the only reason i can think why GW wouldnt have included the nighthaunt allegiance rules in this book, or incorporated them more explicitly into the legions.

If thats the case, then any nighthaunt army made now, regardless of allegiance rules, will be due for a significant revision not too long from now.

Mo, why?  Nihhthaunt is faction, malignant is species.  Just like every deathrattle unit also has skeleton, or every deadwalker unit also has zombie, or how most fec units also have mordant, except for the units like the ghoul king or terrorgheist that arent technically ghouls.

And not every malignant unit is in the nighthaunt faction (eg mortis engine), just like not every skeleton is in deathrattle (eg arkhan).

i think since NH got aligence in the GHB17 they dont have any books coming

in saying that though if you can field a NH army lead by arkhan and the ability to heal spirit host units, i think that makes NH tonnes stronger

and again NH was never going to be a teir 1 army, but they will be better imo

22 minutes ago, Gill said:

It would suck if Nighthaunt were not in the GHB18, leaving us without an army :D

I think you will love Legion of Night still though. There are so many aspects in Legions of Nagash that make a Nighthaunt heavy army function way more better as the GH2017 counterpart of it.

Flying Mortal Wound unit ambushes are.... Deadly.

9 minutes ago, Sception said:

I still expect nighthaunt to see their own book in the not too distant future.  It's the only reason I can imagine their allegiance was left out of LoN, when they reprinted Death Alliance and Soulblight.  We'll see, though.

I get why the would reprint the generic death allegiance abilities, but it is odd that they reprinted Soulblight but not Nighthaunt. Other than rewording few things(for not actual changes I can tell), it looks like they only added Lore of the Vampires. They could have just put a blurb that soulblight gets Lore of the Vampires, but it could just be that they wanted to Soulblight players to be able to use one book for their allegiance stuff so they reprinted the updated version with that in this book. But if it's not that and the reason Nighthaunt didn't get printed in this book is between them getting a book soon or them going to be gone completely from the GHB2018, I'd unfortunately bet on the later. Now there are some hopeful souls out there that want to believe that maybe the harbingers are also harbingers for GW tipping their hand on what factions will get more stuff this year, and Moonclan Grots, Marauder themed StD, and Nighthaunt are certainly armies that have room to grow lore wise and in models lines, but I can't get my hopes up there too much.

As for me and my army options going forward, it looks like I'm going to be stuck with Nighthaunt for a while, at least with any kind of matched play. For one, I don't have enough of the generic battleline stuff to run an of the Legions, just a single box of zombies. I'll probably pick up another box of zombies and throw away 180 points on 3 minimum units to get battleline then build my army from there when I don't want to do straight Nighthaunt, but until then, it's all Nighthaunt with soulblight allies for me. Another reason I'll be keeping Nighthaunt is the wording on the legions in the book would currently exclude my Mourngul anyway and he's only a couple of months old and I don't want him to become a dust collector just yet, so I'll be playing plenty of Nighthaunt games unless they FAQ him into the legions. I had started working on a Soulblight army where I could take him as an ally, but Vargheist going back to non-battleline throws some coldwater on that. I was going to convert a unit or maybe two of dragon blades to blood knights just for thematic flair, but I don't feel great about using converted models for all my battlelines, so unless reasonably priced plastic blood knights come out, all my vampires stuff is only for the legions or generic death and some allies for my Nighthaunt. 

At least even with running Nighthaunt allegiance, the warscrolls themselves got buffed with everyone getting a variant of the spirit host's frightful touch. The hexwraith getting an exact copy(on their scythes), the tomb banshee getting one with D3 mortal wounds, and the cairn wraith and the black coach(via it's cairne wrait) getting one that does two moral wounds. It still relies on a wound of a six and nobody puts out the number of attacks as the spirit hosts who almost always good for a couple mortal wounds, but could help with some of the damage output that I've found to be the biggest problem with them.

8 minutes ago, theJoeMan said:

Until the Mourngul warscroll is changed we can still summon them via the old summoning spell method.

Ever since they got their abilities in the GHB17, I've preferred using their hiding in the underworld ability. Sure you have to roll for it, but 3+ rerolling with the command trait isn't too bad and is so much more versatile than either old summoning, and as a deployment tactic, far better than the grave site summoning, but without the healing and bringing back stuff.

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

Ever since they got their abilities in the GHB17, I've preferred using their hiding in the underworld ability. Sure you have to roll for it, but 3+ rerolling with the command trait isn't too bad and is so much more versatile than either old summoning, and as a deployment tactic, far better than the grave site summoning, but without the healing and bringing back stuff.

I was thinking more along the lines of bringing in a Mourngul to a Nighthaunt LoN list, but i agree the underworld ability is probably the way to go for a Nighthaunt allegiance list.

Archived