Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

Ruler of spirits & light shard are imo the go to items

depends if you're building for specific scenarios or just a general list (better armour save & midnight tome in the hero capture scenario for a 2+ save is pretty rad)

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/09/2017 at 7:50 PM, Sutek said:

My list is this

Cairn Wraith - Ruler of the Spirit Hosts

Cairn Wraith

Tomb Banshee - Midnight Tome

Arkhan the Black (Ally)

6 x Spirit Hosts

6 x Spirit Hosts

5 x Hexwraiths

Mourngul

440 Point summoning pool to be used on

Morghast Harbingers

Morghast Archai

The Morghasts give a little extra punch when dealing with larger units.  Spirit Hosts instead of extra Hexwraiths because of the mortal wound output.

Also as the Morghasts and Arkhan float on Spirits they fit with the aesthetic of the rest of the list.

Hi All

New to the community. I'm wanting to start a Nighthaunt army and was thinking of doing a list quite similar to the above. Had a couple of quick rules questions in regards to the new Nighthaunt allegiance abilities and artefacts from GHB2017. 
1. Does the midnight tomb equiped give a Nighthaunt hero the ability to summon as a death wizard? Reading previous posts it's seems as though people agree that they can...? 
2. Can a Nighthaunt General with "ruler of the spirit hosts" be in the underworld using the 'Ethereal Rulers' ability, and still utilise the re-roll advantage as the General is still alive? 

Thanks very much

Hi,

In the end I didn't take that list to Facehammer GT.  It looks great but Arkhan died too easily in my warm up games and the Morghasts are still overpriced.  If you're not in a competitive gaming group it's fun though.

To answer your questions

1. Yes.  I used mine to summon the Morghasts and some Zombies.

2. He can be deployed in the underworld but only gets the re-roll if on the table.

Got a tourney on Saturday, gonna be running this list:

2x Cairn Wraith

3x Tomb Banshee 

6x Spirit Hosts 

6x Spirit Hosts

3x Spirit Hosts 

3x Spirit Hosts 

5x Hexwraiths 

2x Mournguls

Ruler of the spirts on a wraith, and maybe light shard on the other wraith rather than my standard midnight tome 

Very soon I should have about 1500 points of Nighthaunt. I started off with my skirmish warband pool with consists of a Tomb Banshee, a Cairne Wraith, a unit of Hex Wratihs, and a unit of spirit hosts. Got my Mourngul yesterday and he all assembed and will hopefully get painted this weekend. I've also got two boxes of the Nighthaunt Tormented Spirits box ordered so that should get me to right at 1500 points if my math is right. my allies are going to be the same as I mentioned before(Varghiests and Morghasts), but I'm still on the fence about the last 120 points. Nothing in the Black Coach warscroll makes it a must have, but taking it instead yet another unit of Spirithosts does add some variety to my army, but on the other hand, every time I go to the GW website to possible order it I can't make myself buy such and awful model on purpose.

Either way, I'll probably play around at the 1500 point level for a few weeks while deciding what to do. I'm really looking forward to the Nighthaunt allegiance deep striking abilities. It looks like it could be pretty powerful, especially in objective grabbing scenarios. I'm thinking come onto the board with pretty much my heroes and allies with the hexwraiths, spirithosts and Mourngul in the underworld. Summon the Mourgul generall behind enemy lines to cause some chaos and at the very least have unit of 10 hexwraiths and a unit of 6 spirithosts also in the underworld to summon near objectives. In the skirmish games I've played, my Nighthaunt stuff has always been pretty sturdy due to ignoring rend, but I've also not played them against stuff with too much in the way of mortal wounds, which I think is going to be a the biggest issue with this army in general, but I'm hoping the maneuverability will make up for it somewhat.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:08 AM, Rid said:

Got a tourney on Saturday, gonna be running this list:

2x Cairn Wraith

3x Tomb Banshee 

6x Spirit Hosts 

6x Spirit Hosts

3x Spirit Hosts 

3x Spirit Hosts 

5x Hexwraiths 

2x Mournguls

Ruler of the spirts on a wraith, and maybe light shard on the other wraith rather than my standard midnight tome 

Let us know how it does, did you rejig the list to be 2000 or under? I know personally I wouldn't risk being over, I've seen people have to alter their lists on the spot before for being over before the games begin, and if you don't have any back up models you just have to drop the cheapest unit. Shame nobody could lend you extra hosts!

I did yeah, I went with the following:

2 Cairn Wraiths

2 Banshees 

6 hosts

6 hosts

3 hosts

3 hosts

5 Hexwraiths 

2 Mourngul 

Game 1 vs fyreslayers 

duality of death, he got turn one and tunnelled a runesmitter and 30 berzerkers onto each objective! I ended up killing 70+ dwarfs but not quick enough to get a meaningful score up.

major loss

Game 2 vs Death

starstrike, I got to the first objective with some hosts and moved my Mourngul to engage Nagash and the zombie dragon.

2nd objectives came down in the far side of the board and I dropped the hexes on one and some hosts to go after his one.

major win

game 3 vs Death

scorched earth, we both held our own objectives till turn 5 when we got through defenders and raised one each, I rolled a one and he rolled a four haha

major loss.

Good fun event, nighthaunt can compete in most scenarios I feel but the lack of a real damage dealer now without allies can be telling at times.

I have accumulated the beginnings of a Nighthaunt army but just can't get motivated to start painting them up.  I love the idea and fluff behind a ghostly army. However, I have never been able to get super excited about painting an entire army in an ethereal paint scheme and I have not come up with an alternate paint scheme that really grabs me.  Have any of you felt this way about the army or am I just crazy. Also, any cool paint scheme ideas would be appreciated.

I just went with the standard nihilak oxide and some metal blades for mine, quick and easy to do and the army looks striking on the board even if it is a tad monotone as the thin paint gives instant shade n highlight especially on the spirit hosts

10 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

I have accumulated the beginnings of a Nighthaunt army but just can't get motivated to start painting them up.  I love the idea and fluff behind a ghostly army. However, I have never been able to get super excited about painting an entire army in an ethereal paint scheme and I have not come up with an alternate paint scheme that really grabs me.  Have any of you felt this way about the army or am I just crazy. Also, any cool paint scheme ideas would be appreciated.

I've seen some really well done ombre paint schemes.

10 hours ago, Rid said:

Good fun event, nighthaunt can compete in most scenarios I feel but the lack of a real damage dealer now without allies can be telling at times.

Yeah I've seen people start to take 5 x Bloodknights and a VL on Nightmare as allies but even that doesn't feel like a massive threat, I guess it's a good combination for more killing power. Seems like you had a good run though, what was the guys list from game 1? You must of killed most of his army and he still had enough models to claim a major that's brutal haha

13 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

I still need basing and a few more highlights,  but I am preparing for half-ethereal models like this one and the hex wraiths to bridge the gap between spirit hosts and skeletons (is this where I use "skittles? ")

1508096313235877585088.jpg

From memory:

runeson on magma

rune dad

runemaster

battlesmith

runeamiter x2

vulkites x30

vulkites x30

vulkites x10

HG Berzerkers x30

lords of the lodge.

he got turn 1 and put a smitter on the objectives then bubble wrapped 30 guys around it.

he went for two charges on my two bigger spirit hosts units but failed both so we engaged on the centre line... if he had made those charges we would have engaged by my deployment zone and I could have dropped my reserves down with space to kill his back field stuff!

i got a Mourngul in to kill a smitter to score a point in turn 4 but couldn’t get to the other ones smitter in time.

i think if I had played this game with battle for the pass or even scorched earth I would have won

Dear Nighthaunt bros, I attended a local 2k tournament yesterday, 3 games with some soft scores, below is the list I took;

Allegiance: Death
Cairn Wraith (60)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
Cairn Wraith (60)
- Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvent Moon 
Cairn Wraith (60)
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
Mourngul (400)
Mourngul (400)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1860 / 2000

Game 1 was against Dispossessed in knife to the heart his list was roughly;

Leaders
Warden King (120)
Runelord (80)
Unforged (100)

Battleline
20 x Longbeards (240)
- Axes or Hammers
40 x Warriors (280)
- Axes or Hammers
20 x Hammerers (360)
- Dispossessed Battleline

Units
10 x Irondrakes (200)
20 x Thunderers (240)

War Machines
Cannon (180)
Cannon (180)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1980 / 2000

he basically bubble wrapped his objective with the warden king, cannons and thunders, iron drakes & runelord were bubble wrapped by some long beards & unforged and hammers or something were tunneling.

Summary of the game was; I smashed into his unit of longbeards & thunderers with 3 units of spirit hosts, 2 wraiths and a mourngul & popped lightshard & ate the unit fairly easily.

Other mourngul & banshee's screamed and went into the big block of warriors, thunderers & cannons to get some nice -1 to hit from the mourngul

general & remaining spirit hosts protected my objective & controlling table space to put the deep striking unit in a position i wanted.

Basically ate his whole army by end of turn 3 and had more than enough spirit hosts to chew through the deep striking unit.

- major win nighthaunt

game 2 was against mixed khorne in scorched earth his list was roughly im forgetting something but i cant remember;

Leaders
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)

Battleline
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
- Khorne Daemon Battleline (Karanak General)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Ensorcelled Axes
- Khorne Bloodbound Battleline (Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut General)

Units
2 x Skull Cannons (320)
2 x Khorgoraths (160)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1890 / 2000

Summary of the game, he gave me 1st turn, i brought up a mourngul, 3 units of host, cairn wraith with light shard & a banshee. Got 4 turn 1 charges off and 1 shot a slaughter priest, took 3 wounds off another .

From there i just sucked at making save rolls and my army didnt have the numbers to stay in combat and got grinded away, 2 turns i was off one of my objectives but i thought you didnt need to hold them but the mourngul burnt 1 of the flank objectives. Blood thirster killed 3 hosts on 1 wound left and burnt my open objective resulting in him winning by 1 point.

So just bad luck there but couldnt be helped

- Major loss Nighthaunt

Last game was against a power Sylvaneth list in blood and glory, his list was roughly.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Alarielle the Everqueen (600)
Branchwraith (80) - balewind and the aoe spell
Branchwraith (80)
Treelord Ancient (300) - teleport ability
Loremaster (100) to baby sit alarielle

Battleline
20 x Dryads (200)
20 x Dryads (200)
5 x Tree-Revenants (80)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (180)

Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1920 / 2000

opponent set up woods on an objective entirely, i lost the roll for sides and was stuck with one of my own objectives that i couldn't really hold properly. 

Same thing again i got turn 1, decided to drop everything in because i was scared of the aoe spell rolling good and killing all my characters, tried to scream off the branch wraith before she went up on the balewind and was not successful even with it being a long shot, failed my charges by 2 banshees and the mourngul into the same branchwraith which made me sad.

Long story short got charged by the bettle, took 5 wounds off my mourngul, got held in combat by the banshee, got the priority next turn and put 10 spirit hosts in combat with the beetle, popped light shard and one shot her off which was amazing! two mourngul's ate basically 20 dryads and had their eyes set on the other blob on the other objective.

sadly by trying to avoid the aoe spell from the branch wraith i spread out a little too much and the tree revs teleported onto the objective covered in woods and took that and treelord teleported in on my other objective and killed 2 hosts to secure the other objective.

that sucked the most knowing that i could have very easily won that game if i was paying better attention to my army position

- major loss Nighthaunt.

All in all i was really happy with how the army plays, i feel it will always struggle agaisnt bodies & mortal wound heavy armies (like everyone) but i feel with more games under the belt it will be fairly strong in my local meta & potentially more of the aussie meta. Like it doesn't have many tools but same time it really works most of the time. I feel like it really lacks magic defence so im interested to trial putting in a vampire lord with flying horror & just hunt around buffing the mourngul & character hunt things, war machines etc

but ill keep everyone up to date with my games!

23 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

I addd some armour bits to get some unique ghosts to have some variety when painting. I painted mine as some kind of fire/blood spirits :) there are some cool schemes using blue like ice or mist

20171016_072054.png

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Greetings from Sigmar yesterday, took the following:

1 wraith (Ruler)

3 wraiths

1 Banshee (shard)

2x 6 Hosts 

2x 3 Hosts 

1x 5 Hexwraiths 

2 Mourngul 

Game 1 vs Bonesplitterz 

Duality of death, he game me turn one so it seemed rude not to put the two Mourngul on the objectives asap.

one died from 175 arrows on turn 2 but I was able to keep his heroes off that for most of the game... the other objective the Mourngul ate boar boys and a rogue idol ftw. Major win.

game 2 vs Tzeentch 

starstrike, worst match up I could hope for combined with an unfavourable drop of objectives and I was never in this. Mortal wounded at range and spells badly. Major loss.

game 3 vs nurgle

knife to the heart, mission had plenty of cover and I was able to get his glottkin in combat in terrain with 6 hosts and kill him on t4, 3 hosts got morbidex in the back field t3. At the end we both kept our objectives but I had killed 1180-580 so got the minor win.

i came 6/7th out of 16 players so was pretty pleased. Had I faced the Tzeentch on duality I think I could have won that but hey ho.

really enjoying the nighthaunt, rough match ups are really rough but I feel they have game into a lot of armies and they are a nice tactical challenge to play. I need more practice with the light shard to get better use out of it tho.

Hi all!

I was thinking about a heavy summoning Nighthaunt list with Arkhan as an ally.

This is the first attempt

Allegiance: Nighthaunt

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- Allies
Cairn Wraith (60)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts 
Tomb Banshee (80)
- Artefact: Lightshard of the Harvent Moon 
Tomb Banshee (80)
Tomb Banshee (80)

Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
- Nighthaunt Battleline
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
- Nighthaunt Battleline

Reinforcement Points (660)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 320 / 400
660 summoning point are for 3 unit of morghast or 2 terrorgheist or blood knight or zombie and other if I need mass etc etc.

The ghost will aip in front of the enemies and tarpit them babysitted by the shard banshee while the Summoned unit will do the dmg or take the objective.

arkhan apart from summoning have a very good dmg spell and can Summon and shield with his 2 spell x turn

this list will have very few drop probably 2 (arkhan and wraith)

Comments?

10 hours ago, Arael said:

Comments?

Running 1 wizard with 660 of summoning is typically not a good idea at all, especially with nighthaunt where you will be deploying even less units -if your turn goes bad and you get some unlucky dice, all someone has to do is kill your wizard and you lose 1000 points.

36 minutes ago, xspire said:

Running 1 wizard with 660 of summoning is typically not a good idea at all, especially with nighthaunt where you will be deploying even less units -if your turn goes bad and you get some unlucky dice, all someone has to do is kill your wizard and you lose 1000 points.

quite true but ur not considering u can always or nearly always choose to go first and with 2 spell x round +2 casting u will bring easily most of that point in first turn, or u can always choose to use 1 unit of spirit host to shield arkhan if ur in desperate need

4 hours ago, Arael said:

quite true but ur not considering u can always or nearly always choose to go first and with 2 spell x round +2 casting u will bring easily most of that point in first turn, or u can always choose to use 1 unit of spirit host to shield arkhan if ur in desperate need

I am considering that, see my post - 'if your turn goes bad' ; play around the worst case scenario not the perfect scenario where you get everything you want. Maybe it's personal preference, I prefer to take low risk army lists and make high risk plays in game when its suitable, rather than taking a riskier army list

Archived