Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They likely can be used as new Cairn Wraiths until we get the proper kit.  These ones are push-fit models, and the real kit is very unlikely to be so.  I imagine the proper kit will have 10 wraiths in the box and include the parts to build the Bladegeist Revanants as well.

If you ask me how you will tell your Cairn Wraiths apart from your Grimghasts then I don't have an answer for you there... but they are also so similar to the Cairn Wraith it could already be an issue.  :P

44 minutes ago, Nevar said:

They likely can be used as new Cairn Wraiths until we get the proper kit.  These ones are push-fit models, and the real kit is very unlikely to be so.  I imagine the proper kit will have 10 wraiths in the box and include the parts to build the Bladegeist Revanants as well.

If you ask me how you will tell your Cairn Wraiths apart from your Grimghasts then I don't have an answer for you there... but they are also so similar to the Cairn Wraith it could already be an issue.  :P

Sure, you can find uses for them, i mean, i can use them as paperweights also. The point is that you can't use them as a unit, so i was wondering if there was another "easy to build" box with the rest or something, like they did with the retributors from AoS box.

48 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

Sure, you can find uses for them, i mean, i can use them as paperweights also. The point is that you can't use them as a unit, so i was wondering if there was another "easy to build" box with the rest or something, like they did with the retributors from AoS box.

You know... On a similar note...

You get 5 glavewraith stalkers in the starter, and 4 in the easy-to-build box... for a total of 9.

They are costed as units of min 4 max 16... odd.

What is all the hate with the easy to build models, the monopose? Cause I think the banshees look fairly neat.

Unitsizing is odd indeed.

Not sure if a Chainrasp horde for 80 pts. is too much. I wasn't very impressed with their profile. Guess they'll stink against f.e. Witch elves with buffs, if NH doesn't get their own witchbrew.

45 minutes ago, BenOutTheDen said:

What is all the hate with the easy to build models, the monopose? Cause I think the banshees look fairly neat.

Not sure if a Chainrasp horde for 80 pts. is too much. I wasn't very impressed with their profile. Guess they'll stink against f.e. Witch elves with buffs, if NH doesn't get their own witchbrew.

NH get +1 to wound and reroll 1s to hit. Anyways i don't think that horde should be able to compete with WE in damage output, and they are 40 models instead of 30.

52 minutes ago, BenOutTheDen said:

The models look great! I will definitely be fielding at least 4, I just don't like having duplicate models. If they only come as an easy-to-build kit I'll have to brush up on my hobby skills if I want to field more.

7 hours ago, BenOutTheDen said:

Chainrasps at 80 for 10 is a bit of a steal imo; I was expecting them to be 100 for 10 when I saw the warscroll. In units of 10, they're better than just about any other unit in the 80-100 price range. Saurus, skeletons, Orruks, etc... are all worse in units of 10. They just don't get bonuses for being taken in huge units like skeletons do, though they aren't that much worse than skeletons in units of 40,  as they're more durable, faster + flying, aren't too far behind in damage output, and they don't lose any bonuses until they drop below 10.

12 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I am actually most disappointed by the Banshees.  Just being able to be a less good dispel/unbind source than a wizard isn't a lot.  I thought they would at least still have banshee screams.  Seems like it would have made more sense for them to have their unbind/dispel power up their banshee wail instead of powering up their daggers.

That said, they will murder mages.

The Glaivewraith Stalkers are actually better than I expected with the drum.  Being able to fall back and charge with fly no less means they can jump from combat to combat even getting behind enemy lines to assassinate squishy targets.  Re-rolling all misses on the charge, and being able to fall back and charge just means you are basically always re-rolling hits.  Rerolled 4+ is better than a 3+.  Only downside is of course the - rend and 1 damage.  But I used to play Pheonix Temple, and I can tell you 3+, 3+, 1 damage can ruin things when you have 2" reach guys who can pile on the attacks.

Horse Shrouds is unfortunate that the can only target one unit, although is he is leading a Hexwraith charge that is a lot of damage for them.  From the wording I am pretty sure the horses would get +1 attack as well as it says all their weapons.

Grimghasts are cool battle line units.  Like mentioned at length, they are our Grave Guard, not bad but chain rasps will likely outclass them.

9 minutes ago, Nevar said:

I am actually most disappointed by the Banshees.  Just being able to be a less good dispel/unbind source than a wizard isn't a lot.  I thought they would at least still have banshee screams.  Seems like it would have made more sense for them to have their unbind/dispel power up their banshee wail instead of powering up their daggers.

That said, they will murder mages.
[...]

Yeah... just realized that: Banshees without screams? What is this? LOL
I can't even say I'm  disappointed with all the hype I already have, but, well, I was expecting them to be a ranged unit. Even though I play Nighthaunt allegiance, GA Death in general could use some more.

I like the banshee unit myself. They are undeads cheapest dispelling option at only 80 points, with potential bonuses to the unbinding roll. They also hit fairly  hard for their points value, especially if they get a dispell off.

Tomb banshees are still available for screaming.

49 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

I like the banshee unit myself. They are undeads cheapest dispelling option at only 80 points, with potential bonuses to the unbinding roll. They also hit fairly  hard for their points value, especially if they get a dispell off.

Tomb banshees are still available for screaming.

Don't get me wrong, I am stoked for everything and I still will buy and use these guys.  I think they will be good, I had just hyped them up more in my brain because I was assuming they would be banshees and have wails... and then GW said they were mage hunters... so I was imagining a ranged unit with bonuses vs. mages.

2 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

I like the Banshees, potentially useful in the new magic meta.

I'm totally not cool with the 'Grimghast Reapers'....probably not even worth getting the +1 attack from the Knight of Shrouds command (He's decent btw).

Am I missing the Pre-Order right now? I can't find the option on the gw-page, although I had the 16th in mind?

6 minutes ago, BenOutTheDen said:

I'm totally not cool with the 'Grimghast Reapers'....probably not even worth getting the +1 attack from the Knight of Shrouds command (He's decent btw).

Am I missing the Pre-Order right now? I can't find the option on the gw-page, although I had the 16th in mind?

You have to switch to a nation in an different time zone. I personally pulled these from the New Zealand page.

18 minutes ago, Ahn-ket said:

Maybe but I think it's a combination of  boxes but how should a nighthaunt player use it

yeah, that's why i was wondering if it is a new box? if it is new… there has to be a change in the terrorgheist keywords?! or the wording is just poor.

3 hours ago, BenOutTheDen said:

Grimghast reapers are pretty good... they get to reroll to hit against units of 5+ models with weapons with rend and they are battleline. What's there not to like?

I'm pretty disappointed with the stats on these tbh.

Glavewraith and Grimghast are both single wound single damage battleline, and though they both have slightly different uses, (glaives being able to advance up the field and ghasts getting a decent reroll vs large units) ... I cant help but compare their offensive potential unfavorably to Spirit Hosts and their survivability unfavorably to massed chainrasp.

Backed by a KoShrouds on foot, Spirit Hosts outshine nearly every  entry in the new lineup, even backed by a mounted KoS.

We went from KoShrouds aeo buffing everyone's to-hit to buffing 1 unit's attack, a clear nerf.

We went from frightful touch on nearly anything to zero frightful touch on any new units they have shown.

AND I was hoping the Myrmourn banshees would have a collective banshee wail, with its strength perhaps dependent on the number of models, with Tomb Banshees still remaining the best screamers, and some sort of Bravery-sapping synergy.

3 hours ago, Neck-Romantic said:

I'm pretty disappointed with the stats on these tbh.

Glavewraith and Grimghast are both single wound single damage battleline, and though they both have slightly different uses, (glaives being able to advance up the field and ghasts getting a decent reroll vs large units) ... I cant help but compare their offensive potential unfavorably to Spirit Hosts and their survivability unfavorably to massed chainrasp.

Backed by a KoShrouds on foot, Spirit Hosts outshine nearly every  entry in the new lineup, even backed by a mounted KoS.

We went from KoShrouds aeo buffing everyone's to-hit to buffing 1 unit's attack, a clear nerf.

We went from frightful touch on nearly anything to zero frightful touch on any new units they have shown.

AND I was hoping the Myrmourn banshees would have a collective banshee wail, with its strength perhaps dependent on the number of models, with Tomb Banshees still remaining the best screamers, and some sort of Bravery-sapping synergy.

In the NH faction focus they mentioned Frightful Touch would be a key aspect of the army. This tells me one of two things.

1. Frightful Touch will be an allegiance ability for NH. All units will gain it in a NH aligned army.

or

2. These warscrolls are temporary and incomplete. We wont see the full and true warscrolls until the NH battletome drops. The 1st edition starter saw changed for almost every model in the box between its release and the release of the SC and Khorne battletomes.

Archived