Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

13 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

I do hope that the new NH army still makes you feel that spirit host and hexwraiths are still of great value. Maybe the spirit host will be our anchors then use the newer units to smash the enemy with. Will definately max out on the chainrasp infantry though!!!

Lol spirit hosts are already pretty good at smashing. It'd be a strong army indeed if they weren't the unit intended to do the bashing, because everything did it better. I imagine the chainrasps will do a good job at being an anchor for the army .

For sure they will need to find a way to  give some mitigation to minuses to hit because losing frightful touch to a modifier hurts damage output way more than usual.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PFI said:

Lol spirit hosts are already pretty good at smashing. It'd be a strong army indeed if they weren't the unit intended to do the bashing, because everything did it better. I imagine the chainrasps will do a good job at being an anchor for the army .

For sure they will need to find a way to  give some mitigation to minuses to hit because losing frightful touch to a modifier hurts damage output way more than usual.

Yeah spirit hosts are great offensively if you can avoid debuffs to their hit.  So far the only game I've played with Morathi where she died was because a unit of spirit hosts tied her up and put mortals onto her every combat.

She did end up stabbing them all to death along with a bunch of Black knights, but she eventually went down.  

Played in a tourney last year against sylvaneth, had a unit of 6 Hosts caught by a tree lord who got his stomp off for 3 phases, he had killed a base or two when at the start of the 4th phase he failed that 4+ stomp and my Hosts took that stupid tree off in one go haha

At the next event I had 3 bases nearly kill the glottkin in two combat phases before a couple of wraiths came in and mortal wounded the fat git to death!

Yea PH are very feast or famine depending on hit debuffs.

One thing I've been wondering if the black coach will get any significant changes. Not sure how it'll get powered up quickly in a NH army since you'll probably not be running too many wizards. It has a hard enough time soaking up power in a LoN army outside of +3 wizard lists. It just seems a little too slow for AoS (heck it was slow back in WFB). Maybe it should also absorb enemy spells as well? Or maybe run on a corpse count like some chaos units?

I'm interested to see how many of our new units will have the Summonable keyword, as Legions of Nagash is still quite new, and HAD to be designed with parts of AoS 2.0 in mind... seeing the massive interaction with summonable and healing makes me think they would have kept some of the mechanics in place for NH.

I'm hoping for movement shenanigans through either our faction traits or new spellcaster, as well as healing and possibly armor re-rolls, since we cannot buff our armor.

Ethereal + rerolls + healing/replenishment mechanics could see us become quite durable.

Black coach in nighthaunt currently powers up from nearby banshees or wraiths rather than wizards, hopefully this stays and includes the unit equivalent of those characters.

can see it getting some Spirit host attacks as it has them floating round the new model

I don't know, I would love to see the Black Coach get a massive rework, but at the same time it is likely going to compete for the 'center piece' position with the supposedly new Mortarch... and I don't want to be torn between them.  :P

Agree though, that it would be cool if it powered up based on kills, or could maybe sap spells from enemies.  Given the new 30" unbind, it could also level up when unbinding and maybe be able to unbind more than once.  That would be cool and give it a unique place in the army.

Has there been any conjecture around how the new Nighthaunt releases will interact with Legions of Nagash?

Presumably there will be the possibility of Legion of Grief / Nighthaunt / Grand Alliance: Death allegiances, but what about taking new units as part of a Grand Host or as part of the currently existing Legions? And vice-versa taking units from the Legions of Nagash book in the new Legion of Grief, do you think it's possible to do or it will only be allowed as "allies"?

I mean, the Legion of Grief feels as though it should fall under the Legions of Nagash and be part of the Grand Host. They are not like Flesh-Eater Courts who aren't fully convinced by Nagash's rule. They are proper creations of Nagash led by a Mortarch.

1 hour ago, ZaelART said:

Has there been any conjecture around how the new Nighthaunt releases will interact with Legions of Nagash?

Presumably there will be the possibility of Legion of Grief / Nighthaunt / Grand Alliance: Death allegiances, but what about taking new units as part of a Grand Host or as part of the currently existing Legions? And vice-versa taking units from the Legions of Nagash book in the new Legion of Grief, do you think it's possible to do or it will only be allowed as "allies"?

I mean, the Legion of Grief feels as though it should fall under the Legions of Nagash and be part of the Grand Host. They are not like Flesh-Eater Courts who aren't fully convinced by Nagash's rule. They are proper creations of Nagash led by a Mortarch.

Yeah I’m really curious about this. I love this new faction but I want to field Nagash as my general. I feel like Nagash should be able to lead any legion in the same way archaon can.

56 minutes ago, Nullius said:

Yeah I’m really curious about this. I love this new faction but I want to field Nagash as my general. I feel like Nagash should be able to lead any legion in the same way archaon can.

2 hours ago, ZaelART said:

I'm really curious also about this. Will they separate NH from other death armies like they did with flesheater court? I nope NOT. But I'm afraid they will.

BTW, did you read the official anouncement: summoning in AoS 2 is ....free (kinda)

40 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

BTW, did you read the official anouncement: summoning in AoS 2 is ....free (kinda)

I just saw it, sounds very good for Legions of Nagash! And the last paragraph gives us a bit of an idea about Nighaunt and LoN interaction:

As if there wasn’t enough good news for the Legions of Nagash – we’ve got some exciting announcements about the new Nighthaunt units. While the Nighthaunt will be getting fully realised as a faction in their own right, many of their units will also be accessible for Legions of Nagash armies – so if you’ve been eyeing up the new models, now you’ve got an excuse to pick them up…”

No idea what ‘many’ means with regards to units, or if this works both ways.

26 minutes ago, ZaelART said:

I just saw it, sounds very good for Legions of Nagash! And the last paragraph gives us a bit of an idea about Nighaunt and LoN interaction:

As if there wasn’t enough good news for the Legions of Nagash – we’ve got some exciting announcements about the new Nighthaunt units. While the Nighthaunt will be getting fully realised as a faction in their own right, many of their units will also be accessible for Legions of Nagash armies – so if you’ve been eyeing up the new models, now you’ve got an excuse to pick them up…”

No idea what ‘many’ means with regards to units, or if this works both ways.

My guess is that they're just saying that existing Nighthaunt stuff will still be legal Legions of Nagash.

3 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

My guess is that they're just saying that existing Nighthaunt stuff will still be legal Legions of Nagash.

As if there wasn’t enough good news for the Legions of Nagash – we’ve got some exciting announcements about the new Nighthaunt units. While the Nighthaunt will be getting fully realised as a faction in their own right, many of their units will also be accessible for Legions of Nagash armies – so if you’ve been eyeing up the new models, now you’ve got an excuse to pick them up…

They are referring to the new models as well. I mean it would be kinda stupid not to be able to take Nagash with some of the new nighthaunt. I also like the fact that death is more monolithic compared to the other alliances. I suspect the new general's handbook will cover it. 

Not clear what they mean by 'accesdible' either.  Do they mean 'can be given legion allegiance keywords to be taken directly as part of your army', or do they mean 'can be taken as allies'?

We'll just have to wait and see.

Played a doubles game last night against some hexwraiths and Spirit Hosts, let me just say I couldn't be MORE excited to see a whole army expanding on this range. 4+ with no modifiers, not taking rend, oh man are we going to be survivable. 

16 hours ago, Sception said:

Not clear what they mean by 'accesdible' either.  Do they mean 'can be given legion allegiance keywords to be taken directly as part of your army', or do they mean 'can be taken as allies'?

We'll just have to wait and see.

The wait is killing me.  I rarely get excited, last time was before the release of Destiny.

Since only units listed inside the Battletomb can get the Legion specific tag my guess is GW will retroactively add the units to the Legion Battletomb.  It’s the simplest method.

Although I wouldn’t put it past them to find a more convoluted way to do it.  Or worse the Warhammer Community press is blowing smoke and passing bad intel.

On 5/25/2018 at 7:21 PM, Goodapollo4 said:

Played a doubles game last night against some hexwraiths and Spirit Hosts, let me just say I couldn't be MORE excited to see a whole army expanding on this range. 4+ with no modifiers, not taking rend, oh man are we going to be survivable. 

It is higly unlikable that basic battleline unit (Chainrasp Horde) will have 4+ sv. They may have 5/6+ with etheral rule. If not they will be outstanding with 30+ wounds (i think that they will be in unit of max 30) with 4+ unmodified save and 6++ standard death "ward" save (still do't know if nighthaunts will have this 6++ (?)).

A more interesting question is what sort of healing and summoning will Nighthaunt get?

Seeing as the ability to deep-strike our units was kind of our thing, I don't see us losing that ability, but will they expand beyond that Spirit Torment for recovering wounds and models?  Hopefully we get access to grave sites, as that is one of my favorite mechanics.  Especially because it lets me convert some cool markers. :D

Archived