Lets chat Soulblight

TerrorPenguin

13 hours ago, Malakree said:

The one thing I've noticed is that people aren't really using Fell Bats which confuses me a little.

i have noticed them too but i am never gonna play them by any means. 

Why? 

99810207012_FellBatsNEW01.jpg

I thing this goes into the top3 ugliest models GW ever made. I mean, you should have -2 to bravery just by stanging in the same room. 

On an other note, they cost a leg and an arm and a kidney and your house.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

Bat swarm is for sure better then bats if you play only 3 of them! -1 to hit in shooting phase for 80 points is amazing imo. The sigil is intresting but if you play swift death you don t need it, and if you must form I think is better artifact 1/2 for you vlozd. If you like bats you can play 6 bats and one unit of swarm instead of 5 blood Knights . You got a big unit of 10 of them, and this unit is really good if charge! In long combats vargh are better. About skeletons I'm not a big fun of ally that big unit, I mean, in this meta is for sure good have a 40  bodies unit but I think for this particular army is better go in with dk and vargh .a  play style similar to ironjawz for ex. 

I know ironj got ardboys to hold points but in many list you can see like brutes spam or a gruntas list .. You can play them " all in style". :)

I disagree.  

The Bat Swarm is good and can be summoned if they're a shooty army... if not,  Fell Bats have a bigger output than Bat Swarms, are THREE 40mm bases and can cover more for area denial, and are 2" faster movement, along with a 6+ natural save that can be boosted.

Swift death affects movement, not charges.   The sigil ensures that if you roll a poor charge, that you can reroll for that clutch charge that is needed ESPECIALLY considering the bonuses that Bloodknights get on a charge.

The unit of 10 Bloodknights is good, because if they happen to kill 5 models, I can retreat the rest and regenerate another model next phase, whereas the entire unit would have been wiped and unable to recover another STRONG model.

Skeletons are to absorb alpha strikes from Bloodletters, Stonehorns, Cav Charges, etc. since they would receive that 6+ Banner Save against ANY type of wound, and would increase the longevity of the unit.  The Knights/Vargheists can fly over the line and flank charge b/c of Swift Death after.

I think you're missing the point here.

3 hours ago, kozokus said:

i have noticed them too but i am never gonna play them by any means. 

Why? 

99810207012_FellBatsNEW01.jpg

I thing this goes into the top3 ugliest models GW ever made. I mean, you should have -2 to bravery just by stanging in the same room. 

On an other note, they cost a leg and an arm and a kidney and your house.

Yeah, there don't seem to be many alternatives either. £10 each for one of those models. Eeesh

3 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I disagree.  

The Bat Swarm is good and can be summoned if they're a shooty army... if not,  Fell Bats have a bigger output than Bat Swarms, are THREE 40mm bases and can cover more for area denial, and are 2" faster movement, along with a 6+ natural save that can be boosted.

Swift death affects movement, not charges.   The sigil ensures that if you roll a poor charge, that you can reroll for that clutch charge that is needed ESPECIALLY considering the bonuses that Bloodknights get on a charge.

The unit of 10 Bloodknights is good, because if they happen to kill 5 models, I can retreat the rest and regenerate another model next phase, whereas the entire unit would have been wiped and unable to recover another STRONG model.

Skeletons are to absorb alpha strikes from Bloodletters, Stonehorns, Cav Charges, etc. since they would receive that 6+ Banner Save against ANY type of wound, and would increase the longevity of the unit.  The Knights/Vargheists can fly over the line and flank charge b/c of Swift Death after.

I think you're missing the point here.

+2 in mov phase Is important because you can be do an easyer charge during charge phase . If you retreat with bk enemy can t charge you after or they can focus you with spells or shoot and you dont di damage because not in combat. Bat swarms add good because vargh have not good defense and -1 to hit mitigate damage that you can take . About skeletons they apre for sure good! But I think in this gh2 too you can win a game with all in tactic! Soulblight are amazing for it . Most form gives your general a flexibility that other big mounted models haven't.

Anyway I have a question about fell bats ability, if I push them foward( for ex I move and charge them to an unit of 30 swordsman). When I activate them in combat phase I kill 3 model with all my 3 attacks per model. Enemy unit pile and attack me. I give my bats 6 attack each during my next turn right? ( if I got near 6" another unit of bats they got 6 attacks each) but if not and i havnt unit near,i have to wait next turn for "scent of Gore" proc?:) thx :)

47 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Anyway I have a question about fell bats ability, if I push them foward( for ex I move and charge them to an unit of 30 swordsman). When I activate them in combat phase I kill 3 model with all my 3 attacks per model. Enemy unit pile and attack me. I give my bats 6 attack each during my next turn right? ( if I got near 6" another unit of bats they got 6 attacks each) but if not and i havnt unit near,i have to wait next turn for "scent of Gore" proc?:) thx :)

The way I read it is that it triggers the moment an enemy model dies within 6" of them. So if you have them within 6" of a model that dies to arcane bolt it would trigger. 
The biggest thing I foresee with this is that it's model within 6" not model of a unit within 6". So if your opponent removes models from the unit but they are more than 6" away it wouldn't trigger. That actually reduces their effectiveness quite a bit.

Really good if you have anything which can deal mortal wounds on charge, see black coach, and their insane speed of 14" means you should be able to hit smaller units defending objectives or skirmishing easily to trigger it.

The big use I see for them is as incredibly cheap support for your flanking/skirmishing forces to attack objectives. So in your list you could drop to two groups of 3 Vargheists and run two groups of 6 Felbats with them. Each block of 3 Vargheists and 6 Bats then represents an incredibly dangerous threat to any smaller units, single characters or objectives. You also then allow your Bats and Vargheists to be able to split and/or use their huge speed advantage to actually engage in a way that is favourable to both, Bats into the swarm unit and Vargheists into the armoured. Additionally if one of your sides gets cornered you can use the Bats to get the Vargheists out.

Another good use can be kill single models like wizards or support heroes.  For 6 bats you got 18 attacks 4/4 . If you do that you trigger your ability . You can try to use then to kill enemy backline , archers for ex. They only thing that i dont like about them Is that ability trigger next turn they killed one model. For ex i can t roll( for a unit of 6 )first 3 attacks from a bat ,  if i kill something i think i cant roll for the other bats ( considerino them 6 attacks each) . But I have to roll every 18 attacks and if I kill one model next turn this unit got in total 36 attacks. Sorry for English:)

16 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

+2 in mov phase Is important because you can be do an easyer charge during charge phase . If you retreat with bk enemy can t charge you after or they can focus you with spells or shoot and you dont di damage because not in combat. Bat swarms add good because vargh have not good defense and -1 to hit mitigate damage that you can take . About skeletons they apre for sure good! But I think in this gh2 too you can win a game with all in tactic! Soulblight are amazing for it . Most form gives your general a flexibility that other big mounted models haven't.

Right, but rerolling a charge so that you can FLY over/around enemy units is so vital.  Your VLoZD has a massive base, and can be cumbersome to charge into some places.  The Bloodknights and Skeletons have a musician for the 6" charge, but your Vargheists and heroes do not.  The sigil allowing a reroll is immensely important.

i planned this list for my Soulblight

VLoZD
Coven Throne
Vampire Lord on Nightmare

2x5 Blood Knights
1x Vargheists
1x Bat Swarms
60 Zombies (Allies)
1 Corpse Cart (Allies)

2000 Pts.

Already have all but the Blood Knights an Coven Throne. I wanted to mix the Dragon Princes (Riders) and Black Knights (Horses) together with the Soulblight Shield Upgrade Kits.

Not sure about the Traits and Artefacts though

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

I wanna post my updated list:

swift death

vlozd 440

-mist form

-sigil

vl on foot 140

- fly

10 blood knights 520

6 vargheist 320

6 vargheist 320

6 bats 160

bats swarm 80

tot 1980

i can add a mortis engine instead of bats . What do you think guys?:)

I am coming round to vargheists, if nothing else the mobility to get to objectives is fairly key. Let us know how it gets on

17 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

I am coming round to vargheists, if nothing else the mobility to get to objectives is fairly key. Let us know how it gets on

you right, this list havnt unit that can hold points. But i think is not the end of the world honestly. we can charge into enemy line easy because we are so fast and destroy opponent.

varg are storng in close combat vs every time of units and bats can destroy horde ( eventually slow them keeping this birds in combat). our vlozd is versactile, with mist form  we can retreat and charge/fight in combat phase so we can eventually defend a point if we need.

i have seen many list with like 10 akinks or 10 skeletons hold a point. if we charge them with our units i think they cant do so mutch about it. our units can fly and are all so fast.

my idea is chage enemy and take enemy obective. offense is better then defense in that type of army . xD

On 9/5/2017 at 3:55 PM, TerrorPenguin said:

I tried the coven throne this evening. Not really sure what it's supposed to do. Was a bit ineffectual. 

My opponent just ignored it, ha ha

I think it's mostly there to tie up a big block of troops, but it may be that she can't do that consistently enough to be worthwhile. Some battleplans she'll grab objectives. Honestly though Soulblight characters are really underwhelming. 

1 hour ago, swarmofseals said:

Honestly though Soulblight characters are really underwhelming. 

Quoted for truth. With the exception of vamp on dragon, mainly because the dragon does all the heavy lifting. I just dont see how they can price a vamp at 140 points, if it had a 3+ save maybe but as it stands vamps are way too easy to spike down and they arent exactly stellar on the attack either.

Though in my opinion, most of our foot characters are overpriced. At least,  compared to stormcast. 

I'm starting a soulblight army and wondering about what would be suitable amount of points left for summoning. I'll be playing 1000-1500 points as I'll probably never get more than two Soulblight battleline units, because I don't like the vargheist models. My first list for 1000 points has 300 points left with two wizards. Will I ever summon enough models to fill that? Maybe not?

5 hours ago, Lestatjohnraven said:

Vampire lords heals 1 wound if they kill at least a model. Once per battle they heal 1d6 wounds thanks to the chalice. They are also mages. They can fly or have a nightmare.  What do you want them to be at 140 points? 

Yep that's really good stuff for the points. 

The problem is all the Death heroes are super squishy. Not just vamps. 

10 hours ago, Lestatjohnraven said:

Vampire lords heals 1 wound if they kill at least a model. Once per battle they heal 1d6 wounds thanks to the chalice. They are also mages. They can fly or have a nightmare.  What do you want them to be at 140 points? 

5 wounds, 4+ save, 4 attacks 3/3 rend 1 d3 damage. Mage.  140 points

Lord relictor: 5 wounds, 3+ save, 4 attacks 3/3 rend 1  1 damage, priest (heal d3 wounds or d3 mortal wounds & -1 hit). 80 points.  Relictor > vampire all day, every day.

Branchwraith: 5 wounds, 5+ save, -1 to hit.  Wizard. Can heal d3 wounds, teleport. 80 points 

I can pull examples out all day of cheaper or similarly priced units that are better/more durable than a vamp in either of the roles it tries to fill.

Basically, i want them to be WORTH 140 points. Is a 3+ save too much to ask? Or an extra wound? 

Archived