Lets Chat: Darkling Covens

GammaMage

@Black_Fortress_Immortal

I definitly like your approach and concept. However I would maybe put the Sorceress on a dragon to give her more survivability. The points can be gained with excluding the Vortex, 1x10 Bleakswords and the sorc on foot of course. You would be on 1990 points then.

Have you tried the 42" range Sorceress? Personally she feels a bit squishy on her vortex and you can summon the Vortex only once per game so she better stands on a Misson objective and she kinda costs 180 points with the Vortex now (not sure if she can make her points back).

I also see the Bleakswords superior to Dreadspears.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I only used Dreadspears because they were 80pts. My Bleakswords outperformed them in all my games. Sure, the Dreads have the 2" range, but that didn't come up as much as you would think.

The Sorceress on Black Dragon may not be as good as the other behemoths in the game, but she can survive pretty well if you use her right. Plus it means that Stormcast can't star-fate your general out the game on turn one.

What are people's thoughts on Drakespawn allies? One squad of ten or two of five each?

4 hours ago, Kaleun said:

@Black_Fortress_Immortal

I definitly like your approach and concept. However I would maybe put the Sorceress on a dragon to give her more survivability. The points can be gained with excluding the Vortex, 1x10 Bleakswords and the sorc on foot of course. You would be on 1990 points then.

Have you tried the 42" range Sorceress? Personally she feels a bit squishy on her vortex and you can summon the Vortex only once per game so she better stands on a Misson objective and she kinda costs 180 points with the Vortex now (not sure if she can make her points back).

I also see the Bleakswords superior to Dreadspears.

Aye, a dragon increases survivability, but I think having 2 is way too much.

The vortex, imo, is way too important to ignore.  That first turn -1 to hit can be pretty helpful, especially if you get your Dragon with -1 to hit already for any enemy attacking her.  Even if the enemy gets a double turn, their main striker unit will have -1 to hit, so if they try and gang your Dragon, that's -2... most units will have to rely on 5s and 6s to get anything on her.

@GammaMage

to make this clear. The Spell of the soreress gives the enemy an -1 to hit debuff. On the Vortex and with the artefact the spell gets a great range. However you cant put a Black dragon on the Vortex because it is a monster and therefore permitted from the use of the Vortex. (note that the Vortex is a piece of scenery with +1 save and it also triggers the artefact for +6" spellrange)

The list I found for me is pretty similar to the one of Black_Fortress_Immortal. I post it here:

Allegiance: Darkling Covens

Leaders
Sorceress On Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Darkling Sword
- Trait: Impossibly Swift
- Artefact: Decanter of Egos
- Witch Rod
- Artefact: Incorporeal Retainer

Battleline
30 x Black Guard (430)
- Darkling Covens Battleline
10 x Executioners (180)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)

Battalions
Thrall Warhost (180)

Total: 1990/2000

It is also a one drop army, but I traded the Vortex (100), the Sorceress (80) and one unit of Bleakswords (100) for the dragon with a 6++ ward save. Tactics are best described by Black_Fortress. The main reason for the second dragon for me was increased mobility of this darkling coven army, but at the cost of the debuff of course.

Kaleun

PS: The reason for the split in multiple units is that I get two more champions with a +1 to hit on the Darkshards.

Hmm. I missed that Black_Fortress was already playing a Sorceress on Black Dragon. While I would encourage playing one, I don't think two is a great idea. And you should always play at least one foot sorceress, preferably two so you can cast arcane bolt, mystic shield and word of pain.

honestly why would you? I can see that Mystic Shield might be of some use on important units, but at the start of the game there are 24" between you and the enemy so no offensive magic if you have the first turn. Even later the damage spells push out two mortal wounds on average, not really a game changer on 2000 Points.
In my experience magicians on foot with damage spells arent really worth it. Its just to easy for your enemy to avoid or simply tank the damage.
Support/Debuff-mages are a different thing and also if you can increase the 18" spell range.

but thats just me.

9 hours ago, GammaMage said:

Hmm. I missed that Black_Fortress was already playing a Sorceress on Black Dragon. While I would encourage playing one, I don't think two is a great idea. And you should always play at least one foot sorceress, preferably two so you can cast arcane bolt, mystic shield and word of pain.

I think Word of Pain is an amazing spell.  The ability to grant -1 to hit and deal a mortal wound is a very good utility, on top of the wizard being able to sacrifice a measly model for a +1 bonus?  Yes please.

Also, possibly allying with Grey Battlemage to cast Mystifying Miasma for yet another -1 hit roll to a unit?  Hmm...

EDIT: Not to mention that it boosts the effectiveness of Bladewind... oh man...

6 hours ago, Kaleun said:

honestly why would you? I can see that Mystic Shield might be of some use on important units, but at the start of the game there are 24" between you and the enemy so no offensive magic if you have the first turn. Even later the damage spells push out two mortal wounds on average, not really a game changer on 2000 Points.
In my experience magicians on foot with damage spells arent really worth it. Its just to easy for your enemy to avoid or simply tank the damage.
Support/Debuff-mages are a different thing and also if you can increase the 18" spell range.

but thats just me.

The 24" split doesn't matter when you can cast Balewind Vortex with a +3 casting bonus.  This lets you debuff a dangerous unit from the get-go, or nail someone with an arcane bolt, while your Darkshards can hit from a range of 6"+3"+D6"+16" effectively a 25-31" range, you can strike anything on the front line reliably with your Darkshards.  

Let's assume law of averages:  40 Darkshards = 80 shots to 40 hits to 20 wounds at an effective 25"-31" range with a 1 drop army.  That to me, is VERY powerful.  Throw on top of that D3 mortal wounds at 36" range, you can possibly nuke the support heroes that the enemy has, or trigger a nasty battleshock.  I would love to see this in action.  Not to mention the utility of the Battalion itself...

6 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I think Word of Pain is an amazing spell.  The ability to grant -1 to hit and deal a mortal wound is a very good utility, on top of the wizard being able to sacrifice a measly model for a +1 bonus?  Yes please.

Also, possibly allying with Grey Battlemage to cast Mystifying Miasma for yet another -1 hit roll to a unit?  Hmm...

EDIT: Not to mention that it boosts the effectiveness of Bladewind... oh man...

does the -1 to hit work together with bladewind? In the warscroll it says "...to hit characteristic..."

9 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

This won't work if the army should have Darkling Covens Allegiance because the Faction doen't have Collegiate Arcane as Allies.

1 hour ago, GammaMage said:

We don't have any ally options that include wizards, sadly. Hopefully when the rumoured Shadowkin come out, they will have some cool options and be able to ally with Darkling Covens.

The discouraging thing is that since Allies are printed in the book, it seems "sloppy" to me for them to FAQ it for every faction released within the next year.  Last GHB, we saw faction previews before the release, which makes me wonder about this year, and if there's just going to be updated allegiances and not so much new model ranges?

28 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

The discouraging thing is that since Allies are printed in the book, it seems "sloppy" to me for them to FAQ it for every faction released within the next year.  Last GHB, we saw faction previews before the release, which makes me wonder about this year, and if there's just going to be updated allegiances and not so much new model ranges?

The Question is, how many new fraction will come out before the next Grand Alliance Book (2018). There are some quite big armies that didn't got Allegiance Abilities with the last book (Swifthawk Agents, Deathrattle, Grots, Gutbusters), there could be a Nurgle release that will have some change on allies and we have the strange case with Deathwalkers, that can have Allies, but don't even have a hero for there own group. And with the Rumours Engine Posts I heard several times the term Chtuhlu Aelves, which could simply be Scourge Privateers (which also have no own Allegiance yet).

And when the Rumors are right this year we will only get Shadespire for AoS, so I don't really think that there will be completly new faction coming out before GH18.

17 hours ago, EMMachine said:

And when the Rumors are right this year we will only get Shadespire for AoS, so I don't really think that there will be completly new faction coming out before GH18.

Well completely new faction maybe not. But in the shadespire teasers they announced two big expansions in November. They also showed an image with a gutter runner/skaven assassin and all the other releases got new models. So there's is valid hope for some models there. But I wouldn't expect more than a 'blight war' kind of update for the faction. With the seasons of illness (forgot what the rule was called) nurgle forces have a very thematic alliance ability and I assume it would be easy to use in regular games with nurgle. Also if it comes to a nurgle book i think most likely gw will put all updates there and do the same for new forces. Otherwise no reason to buy those books ;) also allies are an easy FAQ fix. 

Wouldnt count it out but I agree that I wouldn't bet on a totally new faction before 2018 but a revised faction wouldn't suprise me. 

The two lists written down together:

Allegiance: Order
Sorceress On Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Darkling Sword
- Trait: Impossibly Swift 
- Artefact: Decanter of Egos 
Sorceress (80)
- Artefact: Anklet of Epiphany 
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
30 x Darkshards (300)
30 x Black Guard (430)
10 x Executioners (180)
Thrall Warhost (180)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1970/2000

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaders
- General
- Darkling Sword
- Witch Rod

Battleline
30 x Black Guard (430)
10 x Executioners (180)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)

Battalions
Thrall Warhost (180)

... how would these lists succeed against typical lists of the AoS meta?

.) Stormcast Eternals with Dracoths and Stardrake

.) Tzeentch Skyfires

.) Stormcast Teleport (Skyborne Slayers)

.) Ironjawz

.) Seraphon

.) Wanderers (bows everywhere)

.)...

how would you rank our Darkling Covens chances against these lists?

6 hours ago, Kaleun said:

The two lists written down together:

Allegiance: Order
Sorceress On Black Dragon (300)
- General
- Darkling Sword
- Trait: Impossibly Swift 
- Artefact: Decanter of Egos 
Sorceress (80)
- Artefact: Anklet of Epiphany 
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
30 x Darkshards (300)
30 x Black Guard (430)
10 x Executioners (180)
Thrall Warhost (180)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 1970/2000

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaders
- General
- Darkling Sword
- Witch Rod

Battleline
30 x Black Guard (430)
10 x Executioners (180)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Darkshards (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)
10 x Bleakswords (100)

Battalions
Thrall Warhost (180)

... how would these lists succeed against typical lists of the AoS meta?

.) Stormcast Eternals with Dracoths and Stardrake

.) Tzeentch Skyfires

.) Stormcast Teleport (Skyborne Slayers)

.) Ironjawz

.) Seraphon

.) Wanderers (bows everywhere)

.)...

how would you rank our Darkling Covens chances against these lists?

1st list is a winner.

Archived