Humble Ramblings from the Woodland Path

Paul Buckler

So following from my Overlords thread, I am going to start some battle reports for my new Wanderers list.

The list I am going to run is

Allegiance: Wanderers
Nomad Prince (general)
Spellweaver
Waywatcher
Waywatcher
Waywatcher
20 x Glade Guard
20 x Sisters of the Watch
20 x Eternal Guard
10 x Eternal Guard
5 x Sisters of the Thorn
5 x Wild Riders
Waystone Pathfinders

Going with Forget me Knot on prince and Starcaster on a Waywatcher

Trait is Stalker of the hidden paths

So starting points, which are relevant - Am am not aiming to win events with this, just go have a good time, surprise a few people and hope for 3/5 wins a weekend.  So not looking for min/max ideas, but just odd additions or left field swap outs.

Formation - a lot of points but I think 1 drop is big, and the hero phase shooting is really good.

Artifacts/traits.  Might look at Mist walker, depending on how often I catually go to a different board edge, but for now it sounds too good not to do.

Game 1 vs @ChippyRick

Scenario: Starstrike.

Ricky was running Skybourne slayers, addtionally he had a lightning chariot Guy, the +1 armour save lantern and the a Star fated arrow chap (I am useless at Stormcast names!)

I won the setup, and 1 dropped off the board.  Ricky setup the extra save guy.

Turn 1 - I gave Ricky priority, and he didn;t get anything down, or deploy the slayers.  My turn I came on mostly in his side right hand corner, apart from 1 unit my side left hand, ready for next turn.  I shot off his armour save dude.

Turn 2 I won priority and gave it away.  Ricky elected not to drop slayers and roled the lightning chariot guy to arrive.  He came down towards my board edge in cover.  My go I popped all bar wild riders, sisters of the thorn, and 10 eternal guard accross to my back board edge, they moved to the centre of the right hand flank, (wild riders) or my right hand corner (Guard and sisters) in prep of turn 3.  Cmet landed midle right so neither of us could claim.

Turn 3 -  Comet came down his centre and my right.  So we had lhs middle of the board, centre his zone right mine.  very staggered out which was good for me. Ricky won priority and passed it.  I moved big eteranl guard unit up Lh edge, running to get objective, ported boss to RHS corner, to allow 10 guard and susters of the thorn to port to LH edge. Then moved rest of stuff along my board edge to circle the general.  Wild riders moved to LH objective and trailed back forcing Ricky to deploy further away.  - I scored 6.

Ricky dropped onto the left hand side big, both his paladin units and boss.  He put 2 liberators and judicatoprs on centre objective, holding that.  Unsurprisingly he wiped out both eternal guard units, and held RH objective.  Judicators shot off Wild riders. He scored 6

Total 6-6

Turn 4 I got priority and took it.  I left 10 Glade guard to grab RHS objective, porting rest over to his centre.  Sisters of the Thorn moved to his LHS corner, meaning he had to come and deal with them or leave 10 Paladins on his objetive to stop me stealing it.  In the centre I shot off both units of liberators, but needed a 9" charge with my Sisters of the watch to get enough bodies to claim the objective.  Only my Nomad and a waywatcher made it, he fluffed his atatcks so rick remained on the objective.  I scored 4

Ricky moved 1 unit of paladins towards me, the other circled LH objective.  The flying hero tried his star fated arrow on the Nomad Prince, but the rerolls saves - saved his skin!  Ricky scored 9 points

Score 15-10 to Ricky.

This really was a key priority, I win I just shoot off his bits near my Prince, score the objective and get 10 points, He is too far away with paladins to hurt me, or get objective.  He wins he retreats Liberators scores 2 and wins.  We rolled the dice, Rocky got a mighty 2! drum roll....... 1! Victory to @ChippyRick 

Result: Major Loss

Conclusions

Really great game, was close all the way through.  The one one drop deploy nothing is great vs stormcast (warrior brotherhood aside), but I can see me just deploying everything and then board edge bouncing for the extra hero phase shoot as well.  Dropping the formation does give me a lot as well, either 2 Fulminators, or drop wild riders for a prime.  Either of which could be good I think.  Def need to play some more games and see how those options do.

Great report, nice to read. I think that list looks really good, kinda close to what I've been thinking about (I'd have to forgo the sisters of the watch due to lack of models, and sisters of thorns due to me finding them really underwhelming :) ). 

Yes the battalion is really expensive and a bit restrictive but wow does it also work well with the command trait and allegiance abilities. I think its worth it (although  this is strictly theorysigmaring as I've haven't had a chance to play a single gh2 game). 

Will be fun to read your further reports!

• 2 weeks later...

Game 2 vs @Lhw

Scenario: Starstrike.

So second game and it's starstrike again, which is fine as I like the scenario.

Laurie was trying out his new sylvaneth list, with gnarlroot etc, but now having drycha 2 bows 1 scythe and 20 dryad unit.

I won setup and picked a side, but deployed everything off the board.  Laurie had 3 woods central, deployed 3 bows left and right, scythes in the realms, drycha centrally.  The aincient and wytch to left, and used the dryads to block flanks and stop me arriving close.  I gave him turn 1.

He created another wood on the left with 2 bases and a third of 1 base.  He didn't push much and kept a pretty solid line.  I arrived everything to the left and shot the bow hunters killing 1 and wounding a second.

Comet arrived in the centre of the board which was bad for me

I won turn 2 priority and used the lords ability to pick the bow hunters, and finish off the unit.  I teleported the big eternal guard unit, Sisters of the thorn and sisters of the watch to my far right corner, and moved the wild riders up to charge the 10 dryads on his left flank.  In the shooting phase I killed 2 scythe hunters, and reduced the third to 1 wound.  The wild riders killed 6 dryads and took a wound in return in the combat phase.  I got lucky as Laurie battle shocked off the dryads, but also rolled a 6 for the hunters taking off the last model.

Lauries turn 2 he got his usual buffs up, he luckily teleported both drycha and the dryads through the woods rolling 6's so both could move afterwards, pretty much guaranteeing charges. He put revs and a wytch on comet location Shooting he killed 1 wild rider and my mage.  Drycha squirmlinged off 6 eternal guard.  In combat he charged aincient, Drycha and dryads.  he killed 3 of the 4 remaining eternal guard, and 8 Glade guard.  Aincient did 1 wound to waywatcher.  I battleshocked off 3 more glade guard.

Score 2-0 to laurie

Comets came down, both on the right which was good for me as it was away from the action on the left. 

Laurie got turn and took it, he removed drycha and dryads from combat to threaten RH objectives.  Dryads claimed 1 drycha got within movement range next turn of the other.  He shot 3 sisters of the thorn off, and retained centre objective with 2 units.  In combat the aincient did 3 more wounds to waywatcher.

My turn 3 I moved everything from left to right  Waywatchers in far right corner with lord, archers to my board edge centrally.  2 Sisters moved up to charge range of his wytch.  Guard moved up right flank.  Wild riders teleported along back board edge. I shot off 6 dryads, and killed the revs.  I needed a 9 inch charge to get sisters in to wytch and maybe claim centre objective.  I made it but failed a wildwood roll, then the wytch killed the last one!  I totally forgot to put something on the other RH objective so scored nothing!

Score 8-0 to Laurie.

I got priority turn 4, and shot off remaining Dryads, and did 4 wounds on wytch.  Wild riders moved up and charged her, finishing her off and claiming centre.  I ran with a waywatcher to claim the far RHS objective, but failed a run with my eternal guard to claim near RHS.  Lauire had 3 hunters aincient and drycha left.  I scored  8 points.

Laurie moved drycha to claim the near LHS objective, His bows to claim centre with a charge. and aincient to a wood to teleport next turn.  He shot off 6 sisters of the watch.  In combat he killed 2 wild riders, but unfortunately he couldn't get all 3 of his models in range to the objective it was 2-2 so we tied.  He claimed 1 and scored 4 points

Score 8-12 to laurie.

I got turn 5 priority and took it.  I shot off 1 bow hunter, and retreated riders so I claimed the middle.  Waywatcher stayed on far RHS and others teleported for shooting.  I did 4 wounds to drycha, and charged with all I could.  Failed with eternal guard block, but got 13 sisters of the watch and 7 glade guard in.  Laurie fluffed drychas attacks, so I survived to outnumber on the objective.  I scored 15 points.

Laurie Needed all 3 objectives to win.  He teleported aincient towards waywatcher, but couldn't roll a 6 so needed a 9 charge.  Bow hunters shot off wild riders to claim centre.  Drycha killed 4 of the 7 glade guard with squirmlings.  Aincient made his 9 charge! and swiftly killed the waywatcher.  it was all down to drycha, who rolled decently, but I had models left from the sisters of the watch after the dust settled.  on a 5 up he would battleshock them off, and I rolled a 3!  so he failed to claim that objective.  He scored 10 pts

Final Score 23-22 to me

Result: Major Victory

Conclusions - Such a great game, went right to the wire.  I forgot a few things (like claiming that objective).  But was fun, the movement really helped me here.  The Nomad prince in cover with mystic shield is pretty survivable, I have made 1 change he now has the -1 to hit item which helps a lot with the shooting. (Viridescent Shawl).  Laurie new list is better under GH2017 than his allarielle list I think.

2 games in, liking the army, never gonna win events, but great fun to play.

Love these! I'm also stress testing Waystone Pathfinders for an upcoming tourny, and I find myself constantly going to table edges other than the one I am on. This battalion is so much better now with the teleporting. 

Are you still running Sisters of the Watch? How do you like them vs more EG with Bodkins? I find I move so much that I don't get the double shooting and I really want the -3 rending. 

21 hours ago, Tidings said:

Love these! I'm also stress testing Waystone Pathfinders for an upcoming tourny, and I find myself constantly going to table edges other than the one I am on. This battalion is so much better now with the teleporting. 

Are you still running Sisters of the Watch? How do you like them vs more EG with Bodkins? I find I move so much that I don't get the double shooting and I really want the -3 rending. 

Sisters really need to be in the center, maybe move them them up once first turn and then just hope something comes into range. Teleporting with them seems not worth it unless you do it first turn and put them somewhere where they can cover and objective AND have relevant board control (but I'd say chances are higher they'd be in a better position to do that in the centre of the table).

6 hours ago, Runicmadhamster said:

So, what with the new Realm Wanderer ability, i was quick to drop the Pathfinders. I do so because, in my mind, Realm Wanderer replaced the deployment speacil rule, and protective volley, while great, wasn't worth it.

How did you find using both the Pathfinders, and the Realm Wanderer ability in the same list?

I am still not sure, being able to 1 drop is a MASSIVE bonus prob worth the 100 points extra, the question is was it worth the initial cost before the increase?  Null deployment vs some armies is really huge.  Stormcast for example if you null deploy and then make them go first, if they roll a 3 up they have to drop things which you can then pick off, or deploy them which you can then kill piece by piece. 

Hero phase shooting is really good though, def a big advantage in some situations.

All in all so far it seems really useful, the one drop especially.

Game 3 vs @Drakira

Scenario Duality of Death

So RIch is now running Nagash, which in this scenario means an auto win for him.  He also has 10 bloodknight, 5 bloodknights, 3x10 zombies, necormancer and a small summoning pool.

I deployed everything near my board edge, with a spellsinger and waywatcher on RHS side to rush objective.  Rich deployed Nagash centrally, 10 knights LHS, 5 knights RHS along with necro and zombies.  

I gave him first turn.  I was slightly puzzled as to why nagash was not going straight forwards, but then realised as Rich summoned a banshee onto LHS objective.  He hadn;t realised you have to move onto it, so his summon wouldn't claim it.  So he had given me a slim chance of victory. Necro failed to run onto RHS onbjective, as did Nagash.

My go I managed to run spellweaver up to RHS objective and claim, whiclst teleporting to LHS with nearly everything else.  I screened with 20 eternal guard, whilst then shooting the banshee with my army killing it.  I score 1 pt

Score 1-0 to me

Rich got the turn and hit my lines with the blood knights.  He magic'd off the spellweaver and moved the necro onto RHS objective.  Moved Nagash towards LHS, Blood knights killed eternal guard.  My lord killed 1 in combat back. He scored 1 pt

My go I hero phase shot knights, killing 5, which left 5 in cover (2 up reroll 1's vs no rend) so ported everything but 2 waywatchers to RHS, WIld riders went up far edge, to threaten zombies.  I killed 2 more knights in shooting phae, as well as the necro (who came back thanks to the ring!).  In combat phase lord killed 2 more knights (1 remaining!) I scored 0 points.

Score 1-1

Turn 3 I got priority and Hero phase shot off the knight, then ran waywatcher to LHS objective, whilst porting the other characters RHS.  I shot the Necromancer off again for good this time.  I scored 1 point.

Rich magic'd off the waywatcher on LHS objective, but failed his run move to get nagash onto it.  He summoned a wraith to LHS, but couldn't claim this go.

Score 2-1 to me.

Turn 4 rich got priority which was huge, Nagash and Wraith claimed their objectives, whilst the knights circled up.  He scored 2 points.

I shot off the wraith, but had long charges with my charaters to get onto objective.  If I made them and survived I think I was gonna get a minor victory on Kill points. Alas I roled a 2 and a 3!  and failed.  I shot off 2 blood knights beforehand and 2 units of zombies fell to wild riders, and shooting. I scored 0 points

Score 3-2 to Rich.

Turn 5 he won priority and auto scored 2 points meaning I couldn't catch him, Victory to the undead, at the cost of many bones!

Result Major Loss

Conclusions, Rich should ahve won it turn 1, by just sitting nagash on an objective.  I couldn't kill him, and as long as I didn't control the other for all 5 turns with 1 hero he auto wins, (which vs 15 blood knights can't happen).  However it was a good learning experience for both of us, he learnt not to summon onto objectives, I learnt I can kill a lot of blood knights pretty easily!  This is by far the most difficult scenario for Wanderers, with no big tanky hero to sit on an objective.  I guess if you take the can't attack unless closest item then its good, but you could still be magic'd off really easily still.

3 hours ago, Paul Buckler said:

Game 3 vs @Drakira

So RIch is now running Nagash, which in this scenario means an auto win for him.  He also has 10 bloodknight, 5 bloodknights, 3x10 zombies, necormancer and a small summoning pool.

I deployed everything near my board edge, with a spellsinger and waywatcher on RHS side to rush objective.  Rich deployed Nagash centrally, 10 knights LHS, 5 knights RHS along with necro and zombies.  

I gave him first turn.  I was slightly puzzled as to why nagash was not going straight forwards, but then realised as Rich summoned a banshee onto LHS objective.  He hadn;t realised you have to move onto it, so his summon wouldn't claim it.  So he had given me a slim chance of victory. Necro failed to run onto RHS onbjective, as did Nagash.

My go I managed to run spellweaver up to RHS objective and claim, whiclst teleporting to LHS with nearly everything else.  I screened with 20 eternal guard, whilst then shooting the banshee with my army killing it.  I score 1 pt

Score 1-0 to me

Rich got the turn and hit my lines with the blood knights.  He magic'd off the spellweaver and moved the necro onto RHS objective.  Moved Nagash towards LHS, Blood knights killed eternal guard.  My lord killed 1 in combat back. He scored 1 pt

My go I hero phase shot knights, killing 5, which left 5 in cover (2 up reroll 1's vs no rend) so ported everything but 2 waywatchers to RHS, WIld riders went up far edge, to threaten zombies.  I killed 2 more knights in shooting phae, as well as the necro (who came back thanks to the ring!).  In combat phase lord killed 2 more knights (1 remaining!) I scored 0 points.

Score 1-1

Turn 3 I got priority and Hero phase shot off the knight, then ran waywatcher to LHS objective, whilst porting the other characters RHS.  I shot the Necromancer off again for good this time.  I scored 1 point.

Rich magic'd off the waywatcher on LHS objective, but failed his run move to get nagash onto it.  He summoned a wraith to LHS, but couldn't claim this go.

Score 2-1 to me.

Turn 4 rich got priority which was huge, Nagash and Wraith claimed their objectives, whilst the knights circled up.  He scored 2 points.

I shot off the wraith, but had long charges with my charaters to get onto objective.  If I made them and survived I think I was gonna get a minor victory on Kill points. Alas I roled a 2 and a 3!  and failed.  I shot off 2 blood knights beforehand and 2 units of zombies fell to wild riders, and shooting. I scored 0 points

Score 3-2 to Rich.

Turn 5 he won priority and auto scored 2 points meaning I couldn't catch him, Victory to the undead, at the cost of many bones!

Result Major Loss

Conclusions, Rich should ahve won it turn 1, by just sitting nagash on an objective.  I couldn't kill him, and as long as I didn't control the other for all 5 turns with 1 hero he auto wins, (which vs 15 blood knights can't happen).  However it was a good learning experience for both of us, he learnt not to summon onto objectives, I learnt I can kill a lot of blood knights pretty easily!  This is by far the most difficult scenario for Wanderers, with no big tanky hero to sit on an objective.  I guess if you take the can't attack unless closest item then its good, but you could still be magic'd off really easily still.

I really hate this mission, IMO it's very poorly designed with only 2 objectives as this has happened in nearly all my games so far with it. 

On 9/12/2017 at 3:48 AM, Paul Buckler said:

Result Major Loss

^ nuff said. This scenario is basically unplayable as Wanderer allegiance. We have no heroes that move more than 6" and no behemoths. Our ability to fits fight over objectives in the center is pretty non-existent. Sure we can teleport around the edges and shoot stuff on the center, but that doesn't score any points for us. I just made a battle report for this scenario where I also had a major loss lol. 

Thanks for sharing.  Have a small local tournament( 1500 points) at the end of the month, so this is great.  Would you consider dropping the battalion for a phoenix?  they are very durable, esp with mystic shield and shield of Thorns up.  This would give you some fast middle of the board mobility but is it worth the one drop and hero shooting?

At 1500 wouldn't do the formation too expensive at that level.  Phoenix is a great call then for sure

Game 4 vs @Ninja_Badger_Rich

Scenario Side Patrol (aka Battle for the Pass)

Playing aagainst my Brother is always fun, and this time he had a Khorne list.  Aarchaon, Murderhost (2x30 Letters 5 dogs and skulltaker) Big axe Thirster, banner and some marauders. (Flanks etc in desription below are lengthways so image the short edges are the bottom of the board and flanks the long ones)

He deployed letters on flanks, aarchaon centrally, and spread out with his other stuff to mitigate teleporting. I put most on the right flank, 10 guard on my objective and wild riders on right.

I gave him turn 1 as he had moved up and gotten enough letters in range that I couldn't claim sides. Moving letters up to surround 2pt objectives, pushaed aarchaon centrally and spreading out a bit he grabbed 5 points. 

My go I teleported Wild riders to his board edge corner, hoping for a long charge.  The 20 EG formed a barrier around my archers, which blasted the letters in front of them.  The Sisters of the watch killed 22 letters in 1 volley!  I chipped away slowly until he had 1 left, leaving me a 6 inch charge with the sisters of the thorn.  Unfortunately I failed that and teh charge with the wild riders. Scored 1 point.

Score 5-1 to him

I got turn 2  teleported up to his thirster,  moved SOT onto RH objective and moved wild riders up.  Easily shot off the thirster, and killed 5 marauders, taking a wound back. Scored 3 points.  I moved EG off of my objective, as I figured eithe skulltaker or Aarchaon would murder them and claim it so at least I was free to jump back on later and keep him honest.

His go Skulltaker moved to my home objective, and aarchaon hit my massed telporters, thankfully EG were screening shooting.  His Hounds charged the riders.  Aarchaon killed 8 EG, whilst I killed all his marauders.  His hounds did 9 wounds to the Wild riders (Amazing rolls and ****** saves!).  He scored 8 points

Score 13-4 to him

Turn 3 I got the turn, and blitzed aarchaon with everything (hero and shooting phase), 21 saves from sisters he rolled 1x1!  He survived on 3 wounds :(  I flee my lone wild rider (1 less wound I woudl have had 2 and claimed his objective as only the Sectrator was on it). I claim my objective back from Skulltaker.  I score 3 points

Archaon kills the 2 EG left in combat with him, skulltaker fails a 4 inch charge to my EG so cant claim my objective.  Hounds try and fail to charge my lone Wild rider.  He scores 5

Score 18-7 to him

Turn 4 I get turn and teleport to his back board edge and LH flank, sisters kill 10 Letters, I shoot off all bar 1 dog, leaving a charge a 10 plus and my EG get his objective. (I fail, then roll an 11 for my boss who is 12 away).  I score 3 points.

Skulltaker charges and kills 9 eternal guard grabbing my objective, hound moves out of charge range, He scores 8 points

Score 26-7 to him.

Unassailable lead so game to Rich.

Result Major Loss

Conclusions  Was a great game, a few key dice rolls turned it.  Aarchaon surviving that round was big,  he should have died.  Also the hounds killing 4 riders.  Was hoping that skulltaker would fluff his attacks as well.  The sisters are awesome, after this game they seem so much better than the GG,  against chaos they rule the roost and murder letters and thirsters for fun.  3's rerolling 1's followed by 2's is insane.  GG did 1 good round of shooting and that was it, 4's to wound is pretty bad tbh. 

I should have taken turn 1, ported up got the sisters in range and grabbed 1 side objective when I killed letters.  Woudl have been a 4 point swing and forced him to move aarchaon earlier.  Overall at first I thought I was outmatched army wise, but looking back there are def areas that I could do thing in to help.

Gota  game vs the megaboss himself @Chris Tomlin on Sunday, will be interesting to see how I fair vs the Ironjawz

Wow @Paul Buckler, some of us can barely keep one lengthy battle report thread going...let alone consider starting a second one!

Awesome stuff as always. Great reports and interesting reports, especially with a more obscure allegiance like the Wanderers. Really looking forward to our game Sunday. Should be just what I need to get back into the habit of playing more frequently.

Keep up the good work,
Chris

Game 5 vs Matt Clarke

Scenario: Startrike

Had a game yesterday vs Matt Clarke and his Sylvaneth.  He was running what he had  so Aincient, Drycha, Durthu, 4 spites, 10 dryads, 3 swordf hunters and dreadwood.

I deployed off the board to negate the dreadwood teleport, whilst he spread out.  Matt go down several woods before I arrived, taking out some spite revs and dryads.  holding major position on the left.

Matt got turn 2 and comet arrived on the left in front of my forces.  He moonstoned the aincient accross, as well as drycha and the swords.  Flitterfuries chipped some wounds.  Aincient got in on my Nomad, but luckily did his usual fluff and failed to kill him.  Matt Scored 2 points.

My turn 2 I hero phase shot off the aincient (no gnarled warrior or oaken armour), and shooting phase took care of drycha.  The eternal guard camped on the objective. On the right he had durthu and a few spites remaining.

Score 2-2

Turn 3 comet arrived on the left his board edge and on the right mine.  I Shot off teh last of teh swords on the left, whilst moving 10 EG and Sisters of thorn to the right.  I scored 9 points.

Matt ported Durthu over and shot my lord, doing no damage, he failed his charge.  Scored 0 points.

Score 11-2

Turn 4 I got priority and Durthu was outside of 12 so just normal shooting phase.  I chipped some wounds off (matt saved well) but my nomad prince's falcon pecked out his eye!  I scored all 3 objectives so 12pts.

Matt sent durthu in hoping to clear out my forces, the -1 to hit was sooo helpful and he fluffed his attacks.  Matt scored 0 points.

Score 23-2

We basically called it there as Mat couldn't catch me.

Result: Major Victory

Conclusions:  The army works well for startstrike, its mobility really helps, and the null deployment is great as the game only really starts turn 2.  Matts list was far from optimal though, so think I would be tested more by a higher end sylvaneth list.

Game 6 vs @Chris Tomlin

Scenario: Battle for the pass

Its been a long time since Chris and I had a game and I was looking forwards to facing new Ironjawz.  He was running a Mawcrusher, 10 brute, 5 brutes, 5 brutes, 10 ardboyz, shaman, 2x3 gore gruntas and 2 spear chukkas.

I deployed pretty much back board ready to teleport, 10 EG on my objective, wild riders left Sisters of the thorn right. While Chris went crusher central gore gruntas either side, 5 brutes left 10 brutes and shaman right.  The rest he had to spread out to stop me teleporting in. 

I went first and pushed riders and sisters up to claim, whilst teleporting to LHS with the rest, I scored 5 points. 

Chris pushed crusher and Gore gruntas up, taking both side objectives with gruntas.  Crusher got the 6" extra move.  Chukkas killed 3 Sisters of the thorn. and Crusher shot off 2 wild riders.  Chris then made a 10 inch charge to Riders, destructiev bulking them off, and foillowed it up to hit my EG.  This is where I had made a massive mistake,  I put teh prince just over 1" behind the EG Screen, but when chris hit my lines he was able to get the crusher base in 'dimple' between 2 models.  Hence he got within 1" of my nomad and bulked him off.  Chris killed a fair few sisters of the watch this way as well.  He scored 5 points.

Score 5-5

Chris got turn 2 priority which pretty much sealed the game, but we continued anways.  Crusher chewed through more sisters (although he spazzed his rolls a bit) and gore gruntas killed some EG.  He moved his 10 brutes up to RH objective and pushed his gruntas at mine. He scored 5 points.

My turn 2 I shot the crusher, he bossed his saves (rolling 1x1 in about 30 attempts), then totally spazzed vs GG and failed 11 from 12!  Still he did well in teh combat phase leaving me with 5 sisters left.  Gore gruntas killed a waywatcher.  I socred 1 point

Score 10-6

I got priority turn 3, I ported a lone mage back to my board edge, ready to shift accross turn 4 and finished off the mawcrusher, (The starcaster longbow taking final wound).  2 remaining WW killed 2 gore gruntas.  In combat the last gruntas failed with his attacks, and I did 2 wounds back with EG.  I scored 1 point

Chris charged his gruntas into my 10 EG on my objective, but they only killed 3, the lone grunta in my lines took out teh last of the Sisters of the Watch. He scored 5 points

Score 15-7

I got turn 4 priority, and moved the mage to the RHS, so I could teleport up and grap the side objective if Chris moved away. I ported the 20 Glade guard up to the LHS objective claiming it . I retreated the EG from his gruntas on my objective, but still had enough to claim myself. Waywathcers killed 2 of those Gore gruntas.   I scored 3 points.

Chris retreated the last Grunta, then moved his brutes up for a long charge to my objective.  (Whcih he failed), the shaman held the RHS objective.  Chris scored 3 points

Score 18-7

Chris won turn 5 priority, and charged teh mage with grunta killing her, the brutes didn't quite make it my way so he only scored 3 points

We called it there as I couldn;t possibly get back, so final score was

21-7 to Chris

Result Major Loss 

Conlusion:  Take account for the dimples!  Actually I had a good amount of room near the board edge so could have comfortably put my boss 2 or 3" behind.  Low model count multi wound armies like Ironjawz have to waste a lot of powerful units to stop the teleport, this was also a valuable lesson.  I am likely to be facing about 50-70% of the army if they do that.  Stuff still dies even without teh prince, 1 up save crusher and gore gruntas easily went down in the end.

I am considering going second in this one most of the time though, as I am giving up 2 units to score 4 extra points, which late game I could get back easier.  It gives me a chance of a double which could decimate a flank potentially.

Good report @Paul Buckler,

I think that is definitely a fair summary of the game. I will write my take on it later today or tomorrow but tbh there isn't much more to say about it. I feel it was probably a more useful learning experience for you and whilst I felt a little bad at taking off the Nomad Prince (hence offering the take back) I reckon it was probably worth you essentially having to play a game without him just to see the effect it has on your list (if it wasn't  obvious enough).

In general it's worth consideration for everyone that round bases allow models to "tuck in" (even fractionally) when the models are spread out like that, which can allow a greater threat range than may be expected. Obviously you could've placed your models further back as you say, but you could've also tightened up the spaces between the Eternal Guard (as you didn't need them fully 1" spaced) which would've denied me as well.

I love the army though, so much to think about! You're totally right in that I had to waste 360 points of my army to stop you teleporting to my back/back side edges - I did feel this was necessary though. What do you think?

In hindsight, I do think you should've gone second. Wait for me to spread out and play the late game. I felt I had to play for the objectives but was wary of opening myself up. I think with the Prince alive, it's probably a win to you unless I get on your home objective early and double turn for a cheap 8 (which is possible).

Was great to play you regardless, looking forward to reading more reports of this armies escapades.

Chris

Think If you leave gaps I win.  I put my whole army behind you, you have to turn everything around or I grab your 4 pts for 1 or 2 turns, If you go for mine we just swap ends and I can jump and grab side ones easier.

Def worth playing without, as I know that if I can keep him alive turns 1-3 I am still in decent shape 4-5 if I lose him later game, just need to be in decnt position beforehand.

Prob going to be using them at club for forseeable future, while I take the wierder stuff to events for the rest of the year (Although they are going to RAW).

2 minutes ago, Paul Buckler said:

Think If you leave gaps I win.  I put my whole army behind you, you have to turn everything around or I grab your 4 pts for 1 or 2 turns, If you go for mine we just swap ends and I can jump and grab side ones easier.

This was essentially my thought process tbh. Felt rough having to utilise the likes of Brutes in that role, but allowing you to get on there just wasn't an option. It's not even just the back board edge that is the only problem, it's the fact you still keep accessibility to the side edges by stringing out units which means I can't reliably hold you off them either as you say.

You'll definitely catch people out with this for sure...as we said, drunk or hungover people at events will have their brains frazzled by it haha!! xD

Great reports man! Love seeing someone else use the Starcaster Longbow, I think it's underrated as a reliable way to finish off that last wound on key models. 

I play against Ironjaws a lot and my opponent has won 100% of our games when I play pure Wanderer allegiance. He is really scared of the teleporting and tends to spread out, like in your game, leaving me the chance to pit my whole army against a small portion of his. This allows for me to systematically wipe him off the table but I still fail to take/hold objectives from him, since he is generally able to get most of them on his first turn. 

Going 2nd seems to be the best choice in almost every situation for Wanderers. You can sit safely in a corner, teleport and hope for a double turn. 

I made a battle report of my game against Ironjaws, I'll link it if you're curious! Don't want to hijack your thread though. :)

Archived