The Wolf Pack! Dire Wolves battleline.

Kugane

With all the unit points being updated, I would like to take time to analyze different options we have to build a list. One of the things I kind of like is the fact that Dire Wolves can be used as a Battleline unit, making it very easy to meet the 3x Battleline requirement, or simply putting a massive 30 wolf pack on the table that can be quite tanky, especially alongside a Corpse Cart. What are everyone's thoughts on these 4 legged friends making their way into an army?

I always fielded at least 5 of them, often 10.

Personally I see this as a huge buff that lets me move closer to 3 standard battleline units:

1 = Set of 5-10 Dire Wolves

2 = Set of 10 - 40 Skeletons

3 = 10-40 Zombies

Previously I would run the dire wolves anyways and still have to find units to take up the mandatory battleline slots.

10 hours ago, Bradifer said:

I always fielded at least 5 of them, often 10.

Personally I see this as a huge buff that lets me move closer to 3 standard battleline units:

1 = Set of 5-10 Dire Wolves

2 = Set of 10 - 40 Skeletons

3 = 10-40 Zombies

Previously I would run the dire wolves anyways and still have to find units to take up the mandatory battleline slots.

I kind of like that idea! Perhaps even a 60 Zombie battleline would be great. I was considering to pick up more wolves (I have 10 at the moment), but I think I have plenty for now in that case :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

I take it that if you were to take dire wolves as battleline, it's for the simple reason to make most of writing a list which is cost efficient, in terms of leaving enough space in the army to take more expensive lethal units?

That, and it gives us a much faster Battleline. Between Dire Wolves, Blood Knights, Black Knights and the right Heroes, you can have a pretty fast Death force now.

17 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

That, and it gives us a much faster Battleline. Between Dire Wolves, Blood Knights, Black Knights and the right Heroes, you can have a pretty fast Death force now.

Not to mention Vargheists

I usually run two 10 packs of wolves, its surprising how much damage they can actually do, especially if your opponent is focusing on the bigger stuff in your army. My only issue is that sometimes it's hard to keep the Corpse Cart near them on large boards, especially if you charge them into melee pretty early on. They can make a good target for Danse Macabre too if you're not running 30+ unit skellyman hordes.

I usually run two 10 packs of wolves, its surprising how much damage they can actually do, especially if your opponent is focusing on the bigger stuff in your army. My only issue is that sometimes it's hard to keep the Corpse Cart near them on large boards, especially if you charge them into melee pretty early on. They can make a good target for Danse Macabre too if you're not running 30+ unit skellyman hordes.

Archived