Any other Wanderer/Wood Elf players here?

Avian

I played my first game last night with wanderers. So frustrated with my 2 units of 20 gladeguard. Even with nomad princes ability barely did anything! But waywatcher hero and-1 to hit ability was awesome in the second game. The characters are a lot of fun

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:22 PM, Tzr said:

My experience of the Wild Riders is also that they are very underwhelming. I used them in a support role, getting to where they are needed quickly to help tip combats my way or clean up missile troops. The run and charge with the accompanying bonus is great for this but still, they just lack the punch I really want from the unit. I am fine to them dying easily in return, not being able to fight protracted combats is the way it should be with them. Still, would really like something fun like on the charge if you roll a 6 to wound they blow you up, or even a flat -1 rend on the charge.

Only ran them in 5s so far, do you have any issues with the base size getting all 10 to fight @warhammernerd ?

A lot of cavalry suffers a lack of efficiency.. all empire knights are basicly useless too.

• 3 weeks later...

I have played a 15 or so games as pure Wanderer/Wood Elf (No Sylvaneth).  I have had success with them around the 1000pt range, but have been unable to succeed when going up to 2000pt.

I absolutely love the Nomad Prince though.  He is cheap, survivable and has a decent Command Ability.  I include him in any Aelf army be it Wanderers or not.

I have had a few games with my Wanderers, but they are mostly unpainted so I don't play them often. 

Here's what I learned: 

• Glade lord on forest dragon is great. 
  • Nomad Prince is a beat-stick. 
  • Eternal Guard when supported by sisters of the thorn and in cover are the ultimate anvil. 
    • Run 1 unit of EG in a block of 20 and then take 6 waywatchers as your BL 
  • Rangers are a must-include. They get a lot of work done. 
  • Spellweaver and Shadowdancer are both fantastic.
    • Buff the dragon with mystic shield, shield of thorns and bridge of shadows and then send it off 24 inches, reflecting mortal wounds on a 5+
  • Wardancers are chaff now
  • Sisters of the Thorn are a must include. 
  • Glade Guard are a waste of points. 

12 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Hey guys I know this isn't a painting thread but I'm painting old metal waywatchers as the first part of my wanderers army and I'm a bit at a loss. anyone have any good resources for them?

I can offer my mediocre paint job from a few months ago.  These models have a lot of detail in them and where a joy to paint.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Archived