Any other Wanderer/Wood Elf players here?

Avian

Hi Guys I've just come across this forum and it's nice to find a wargaming forum that's active after witnessing the slow death of Asrai.org and Herdstone.

I've been playing Wood Elves since early 8thed and have a pretty substantial force, how have others been finding them in AoS? I have yet to play a true wanderer force from the book as I'm still using my older models from the legacy scrolls (Mainly because Orion and the Twins are bloody amazing) But I'm building up my army so that I can play a force purley from the grand alliance book. 

What have other people's experiences of them been?

I am playing the Sylvaneth/Wanderers combo now the Wood Elves have been split. On the Wanderers side I am not using that much, just large units of Glade Guard, the Sisters of the Thorn, Waywatcher and Wayfinder. I supplement this with treemen to do the actual fighting. Lots of treemen.

I am building some Wildwood Rangers to try them out and bring me up to the requirements of the formation in the grand alliance book. It looks quite interesting and the Rangers themselves seem quite choppy on paper. Still die to a stiff breeze though, just like everything else in the army. Still seems finesse; as I am learning the game over the last Month I am taking the more obvious smash face with treeman approach than any of the Wanderer combat units.

I got to try out the WWR for the first time this weekend They only really got to fight against a Dragon and a Pheonix (so an optimal matchup for them) but holy god were they effective! they put double the number of wounds on the Pheonix that it starts with!

I think the tricky thing is that as you say, they die to a stiff breeze but I have a couple of ideas of how to mitigate that. the Eternal guard though a bit guff on their own, start to become quite hard to shift once you have Fortress of Boughs up put mystic shield on them and have a Nomad Prince behind them giving them rerolls. I've yet to give it a go but they should make an excellent anvil unit to the Wild Rider's Hammer with Glade Guard softening enemy units up before they hit the line.

I'm a long time Wood Elf player (since 3rd ed WFB) so have a quite a collection - sadly a lot of which is still unbuilt.  However, I have enough to put together a decent force using the Warscrolls in the Order book. I haven't had a game yet but I'm focusing on the time-honoured WE tradition of lots of bows from the Glade Guard with some fast moving cavalry in the form of the Wild Riders.  I will probably use either a Waywatcher or Wayfinder as my general as I prefer their Command Abilities.  Really looking forward to giving them a go.  Looks like a typical WE force though as in they can dish it out as long as the opponent doesn't push back.

Played a few games with wanderers/sylvaneth now and I think they play same as they ever have-fast, lightly armored, choppy but lack staying power.  The wildwood rangers are my mvp's of the list right now. 2",  3+,  3+,  -1, 1(D3) is great with their smaller base size allowing  alot of models to pile in plus the 2" reach is just awesome.  It allows you to run a smaller frontage hopefully keeping some enemy  models out of reach for their own pile ins.  Def. want these guys striking first though, at only 5+ save they would require at least a mystic shield to have any hope of sticking around. 

The biggest disappointment for me are the wild riders... they just aren't anywhere near where they used to be.  The run and charge rule is good, but once they are in combat...not so good. 

Spellweavers auto dispel ability and healing(D3 models) capabilities are great. Sisters of the thorn, and sisters of the watch are both solid. Same for the glade guard although I don't run as many as I used to(only 20 now).  4+, 4+ no rend just isn't that great.  Overall I find that shooting is no longer finishing anything off but still really important to the list, such as when to use the -3 rend arrows of the glade guard and the trusty old HoDA on the way strider.  The way watcher lords command ability to pass his invisible hunter -1 to hit in shooting phase to other units seems great against shooty stormcast but I have yet to use him.  

Biggest weakness right now is the lack of multi-wound units, pretty sure it is just the cav with 2 wounds.  That is where the sylvaneth come in with the treelords though, adds an element of toughness lacking elsewhere in the list.

Anyway I have had a lot of fun with them and was thinking of adding 2 lion chariots with some eternal guard heads and ranger draichs for some added speed, punch, and wounds.  Plus think it would fit well aesthetically.

Happy Gaming!:)

Hey all, 

totally loving the Wanderers and Sylvaneth right now. Have to disagree Mikosan, Wild Riders are nails. It's all about where and when you get them into combat. I run a unit of 10 supported by a Spellweaver on purebreed (whose job is to heal D3 a turn) and Orion (who makes them ignore battleshock and if he is your lord, re-rolls 1 to wound). On the charge these guys are very tasty, 21 elf attacks hitting on 3's, wounding on 3's rerolling 1's potentially - not to forget the steeds. These guys are my staple. 

My personal fave unit is the wardancers, supported by a bladesinger. OMG have you tried bridge of shadows on a unit of 20 of these? Insane. 

And yes.. WARHAWK RIDERS! Wickedness. 6 of these supporting Orion, 10 wild riders, 2 eagles and a purebreed steed and a lord on eagle is so hitty, so fast. Deliver a lot of hurt wherever you want, when you want. 

Shame they dropped some of the old stuff from the new Wanderer list, but luckily you can still run the old scrolls. 

I kinda miss some of the various arrows Glade Guard used to have - but IMO the army is so much more fun to play now that it ever was in 8th. So fun, so fast, so fragile. DIG IT. 

34 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

IMO the army is so much more fun to play now that it ever was in 8th. So fun, so fast, so fragile. DIG IT. 

I will agree with you on this!  I def. see where you are coming from on the synergy potential on the wild riders too, I just love me some rend and I have found without it my guys attacks just bounce off of armor.  I think they are dead useful for early/long charging of weaker units or following up a retreat from an iffy combat, just not the powerhouses they were, which to be fair was pretty outstanding by 8th standards.

PS Orion is awesome!  Finally his rules do justice to the character, love it:D.  The fact that a lot of the "legacy" scrolls are like this more than anything drew me into AoS during the rough early days. 

I agree abut the legacy Scrolls Orion and the Sisters Of Twilight are my favourite ones.

The Forest Dragon's Soporific Breath rule is amazing. It really lets you control a combat allowing lots of small units to gang up on and destroy a larger one without fear of retaliation. I've been using them next to Orion and two units of Wild Riders to pick out units and remove them rapidly. If you can soften them up with Glade Guard first it's even more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience of the Wild Riders is also that they are very underwhelming. I used them in a support role, getting to where they are needed quickly to help tip combats my way or clean up missile troops. The run and charge with the accompanying bonus is great for this but still, they just lack the punch I really want from the unit. I am fine to them dying easily in return, not being able to fight protracted combats is the way it should be with them. Still, would really like something fun like on the charge if you roll a 6 to wound they blow you up, or even a flat -1 rend on the charge.

Only ran them in 5s so far, do you have any issues with the base size getting all 10 to fight @warhammernerd ?

No issues with getting 10 to fight as they have a 2" range which is the same as a cav base. Can see how the rend thing might be an issue - I've yet to find it an issue. My thinking is not to charge them headlong into anything unless they can pretty much take it down in one or two rounds. Best to pick on the small stuff, and pew pew all the armoured stuff with bodkins arrows and some shots from Orion or whatever Lord you have. 

Really need to get me a sisters model, cripes they aint easy to find. Whenever I find one I'm skint, and whenever I have money they are nowhere to be found. Also, seriously want some Treekin - but same problem! 

Anyone tried them out yet? They seem pretty legit.

3 hours ago, warhammernerd said:

Really need to get me a sisters model, cripes they aint easy to find. Whenever I find one I'm skint, and whenever I have money they are nowhere to be found.

You might be best off converting a High Elf dragon into a forest Dragon and using bits from the sisters of avelorn/the thorn kits.

Apart from anything else that metal Dragon is a swine to put together, mine has about 15pins holding it together most if which are drill bits that snapped and I couldn't be bothered to extract. It took a while Saturday of frustration and blind rage to build.

on a totally different note, I was thinking,Wood Elves were always about controlling the movement phase so that they could pick combats on their own terms. This was mainly because they hit like a glass hammer, they hurt like hell but can't take the damage back. This is still the case.

Some of the staple tactics for Woodelves to acheive this were; charge redirectin and speed bumping. 

Speed bumping seems to still be a very viable tactic, for those unfamiliar with it, you take a lo value unit and throw it under the bus by putting it in front of a more powerful enemy unit to slow it down for your other units.

I'm not sure what unit to use as they need to be both fast and cheap (we have been balancing on wounds in my local area) however, the idea is that they are able to rapidly position themselves in front of more important units (glade guard or eternal guard who have moved to position ready to set up Fortress of Boughs for example) in order to protect them from being charged. This would allow us to control the movement phase to set up suitable combats. 

Do you guys think this tactic is viable and if so what units would be suited to the role?

Depends on how you are playing - locally we are playing Grand Alliance battletomes at the moment and nothing in 'legacy'. I guess that will change with the General's handbook and future Sylvaneth releases but we'll see.

Treekin look quite good on paper for speed bumping/tarpitting. Decent move, large base size and self heal wounds. A supporting buff or two and I can see them being hard to shift.

Last game I used two units of 10 Dryads with mixed results. 7" move + run means they are getting to where they want to be, but once there it is a bit meh. In fairness both stood and held a unit for a turn, but those units were Dwarf warriors and longbeards which don't exactly kick out the damage themselves. Under most comp systems they are pretty cheap but for 10 models per scroll. I would prefer them to be costed 5 models per scroll so they can be run in 15's. That way you can block even more effectively with the big base but also get the save buff for a turn. 20 for 10 (under SCGT) is more than I want to pay for chaff.

It is quite a different challenge now, maneuvering the enemy to where you want them to be but without redirecting or march interdiction. Would be interested to hear the thoughts of guys with more AoS games under their belt than me on this!

I'm hoping the general handbook will point up the units by how many are in the box. So we will get points for 14 Dryads, which is what I'd like to take. I bought 3 boxes, which means I have a few spare left over.

Wood elves were the very first army I got for Warhammer Fantasy, and while the first models I got were stolen, I have rebuilt them. Now that Age of Sigmar is here, I am returning to my Sylvaneth and Wanderers. I just love the character of them. 

I've been slowly working through my force. I have a WiP thread here showing what I've done recently. I'm taking them along with some Sylvaneth to a small event in Leeds this month which should be good. I'm considering trying out some old school wardancers as I have a few of them. 

Ive found the shadowdancer to be good with the treelords as his spell gives you some much needed added movement, same with Durthu. Being able to put woods in tactically interesting places is a nice thing. 

• 4 months later...

Wood elves/wanderers have Always been and will always be MY army. I Had about 20.000 points of them in oldhammer, and could field a freakin huge wanderers list if i wanted. I don't play the game though. I Only paint, and I am still adding to this army. I plan on having at least a full autumn and a full winter themed army.

I do think It's sad that the Sylvaneth and the wanderers are split, but I like the Sylvaneth a lot so I'm building up Sylvaneth now.

if I where to combine these two and play some old 8th edition again I guess I could play a 50.000 point battle with only wood elves....

I think that the wood elves got the better of the three elves races in AOS, and avoided being split into multiple useless factions. 

I still am confused about the wanderers/wood aelf lecacy list. Is it really two versions of the same or same-same but different....

7 hours ago, Baardah said:

Wood elves/wanderers have Always been and will always be MY army. I Had about 20.000 points of them in oldhammer, and could field a freakin huge wanderers list if i wanted. I don't play the game though. I Only paint, and I am still adding to this army. I plan on having at least a full autumn and a full winter themed army.

I do think It's sad that the Sylvaneth and the wanderers are split, but I like the Sylvaneth a lot so I'm building up Sylvaneth now.

if I where to combine these two and play some old 8th edition again I guess I could play a 50.000 point battle with only wood elves....

I think that the wood elves got the better of the three elves races in AOS, and avoided being split into multiple useless factions. 

I still am confused about the wanderers/wood aelf lecacy list. Is it really two versions of the same or same-same but different....

The split was mostly done to differentiate between models still in production, and models out of production. All of the Elf models in the Wood Elf legacy list all have the "Wanderer" keyword, so they are effectively part of the Wanderer faction.   

Same for Treekin and the Sylvaneth - they can be part of a Sylvaneth army without breaking any allegiance, and keeping all the Sylvaneth special rules and abilities.

I have been play testing wanderers and sylvaneth combo lists for the last few months. I've come to the conclusion that although glade guard have the awesome alpha strike potential they are too costly points wise. I tried 3 units of 3 waywatchers as my battleline yesterday and it was great. I had more points to spend on harder hitting units like tree lords and sisters. Very happy with my list.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I have been playing wood elves since just before end times and have now had a few games with wanderers which I love playing though I don't tend to win many games. With the generals hand book I have found them to be rather expensive compared to other armies who have better units for cheaper, you could even say that for all elf forces as I do have a sizeable high elf army as well.

i love the sisters of twilight, though I have found that the best thing about them is the dragons breath which I think is a must for not getting hit back but I have found i miss a lot of the attacks so I never leave home with out my trusty unit of wardancers, if I get in a rend 1 dance and with the dragons breath, it's an awesome combo.

glade guard seem expensive too cor what they are as I don't tend to actually cause that much damage but I don't think I can leave home with outs the 3 rend just so I can snipe a character. Also I always have to have a blocking unit or the glade guardmdont survive round 2.

i think wild wood rangers are great though cause of the cost I find it hard to fit them in and not sure if amunit of 10 will cut it, I would love to have a unit of 20 haha.

tree kin are awesome tanks, especially with a mistic shield though again no rend so I have trouble clearing bad guys. I do have 6 and field them almost every game, points cost is 100 for 3 which is great but hard to get them on eBay.

i have used a,unit of 10 wild riders but I guess for the points verses how much I kill makes them rather expensive though I do like the model.

sisters of the watch seem expensive, I do have 10 but usually find it hard to fit into an army due to the points

way watchers have done great for me, I have only 6 but at that size they can put out a lot especally when rapid shooting all the time.

i have an 1250 point tournament coming up with the rules of 1000 point army so 2 battle line and I'm thinking of taking this force.

lord on green dragon

spell singer

20 glade guard

6 waywatchers

6 treekin

15 wardancers

I use the lord on dragon because I like his command ability and I can give him items like the dawn stone to heal and the 6+ ward.

hope it goes well as most of the guys in it have the newer forces or ogres so a lot of face smashing lists that move so dam fast.

Archived