Let´s Talk Skyre

Xanax Lot

10 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

I am really curious how this list fares against Ironjawz and Blades of Khorne.

I know about the potential of the Stormfiends, but I hardly can believe that you bring enough to the table to kill, let's say a

Gorepilgrims + 20 Bloodletter, 30 Bloodletter, Fury of Khorne list with 2 Bloodstokers.

He will probably be in your range units by turn 2 (latest) and can you really win a game with Stormfiends alone?

Or let's say the typical IJ Mawcrusha, GoreGruntas and Brute list.....

Does anyone have experience how Skryre does against these type of hard hitting lists?

Challenge accepted! I am going to ask my khorne friend to bring this list and play against it.

I will let you know how it goes!

it does certainly sounds like a challenge

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been playing around with this idé. What do your guys think? Any strengths or drawbacks that I might have missed?

Arch-Warlock
Warlock Engineer (general) - The "weapon teams rerolls 1s to hit attribute)
Packmaster (allies)

6 Stormfiends - mixed warpflame&shock gauntlets (so that they can handle every situation))
3 Stormfiends - 2doomflayers and 1 warpgrinder (just to have the option to deploy underground vs right scenario/opponent)
5 Skryre acolytes (runs in clanrat blob)
40 Clanrats (allies)

Warp Lightning Cannon

4 Poisoned wind mortar weapon teams

Balewind vortex (for the arch-warlock most likely)

6 hours ago, Betelgeuse said:

Have been playing around with this idé. What do your guys think? Any strengths or drawbacks that I might have missed?

Arch-Warlock
Warlock Engineer (general) - The "weapon teams rerolls 1s to hit attribute)
Packmaster (allies)

6 Stormfiends - mixed warpflame&shock gauntlets (so that they can handle every situation))
3 Stormfiends - 2doomflayers and 1 warpgrinder (just to have the option to deploy underground vs right scenario/opponent)
5 Skryre acolytes (runs in clanrat blob)
40 Clanrats (allies)

Warp Lightning Cannon

4 Poisoned wind mortar weapon teams

Balewind vortex (for the arch-warlock most likely)

With your plan of running the acolytes in a blob of clanrats, 10 might do you more good than 5. Adds more punch, and makes your relatively safe unit more of a threat = if opponent ignores them, they do a lot of harm , --> if he deals with them (shooting) then he is not dealing with your other, much scarier threats. A downgrade of 20 clanrats, or removal of one of the poisoned wind mortar will make the point trade work ;)

Why is the warlock engineer your general? 

I assume the doomflayers are there because of leftover kit pieces. Works out. Doomflayer is decent. You might want to combine this with the 3 warpflame stormfiends though instead of the shock rats, since your shock gauntlets will suffer horribly if unable to pile in properly, which is easily accomplished against a 6-model unit of their base size. This way you can have your warpflame in optimal range (front) without knowingly sacrificing the heavy oomph your non-warpflame fiends would be capable if THEY were in front. With 9'' range of warpflame, putting them behind will ensure you're never in range.

Alternatively, you can split up into 3-3-3. It is more universally appliable, where 3-6 is good only in specific situations. You're unlikely to have less drops than your opponent anyway, so you lose nothing from this.

Your warpgrinder/doomflayer is then your 'least valuable' stormfiend unit, which should serve as a shiny behind-enemy-lines/on-the-objective tunneling distraction that hogs your opponent while your shockfiends+packmaster and warpfiends pick their flanks and footslogs forward. Very flexible, in that regard. Assuming you'd go 333 and not 3-6.

Alternatively you could drop one unit of stormfiends for 40 more clanrats and whatever you want for 100pts to shore up some weaknesses, like your lack of protection for your artillery ;) clanrats become cavalry-fast when running, so this will allow you more opportunity to challenge/contest objectives as well, since numbers usually equals ownership. This keeps you within the 400 ally pts as well, and your acolytes ensure you still have the minimum 3x battlelines. 

What artifacts/command traits are you going for? Verminous valour (whatever it is called: throws rats in front of damage) is invaluable to keep your general standing. 

1 hour ago, erasercrumbs said:

It seems like the new warlord traits and warpstone sparks make Ratling Guns exponentially better.  

Warpstone sparks affect a single succesful attack, so only one dmg 1 hit from ratling would be doubled. 

Interestingly, shock gauntlet generating hits count as one attack, so doubling that can be insanely good. 

I use the engineer as general since he will be more mobile then the arch-warlock who most likely will be standing on balewind throwing lightningbolts. Might switch back to arch-warlock since I  use the warlord trait that lets the mortars reroll 1s to hit and they will probably not move that much any ways. Warpstone sparks is fantastic on these little fellas as well. 

Acolytes does approximately 2,5 dmg per 5 models and dies to a light breeze. So if my opponent shoots them it's fine with me. If not... well i'm fine with that as well. They are to fragile and unpredictable to build a strategy around. 

Splitting the stormfiends in three might be interesting though. If I do I would most likely drop acolytes and take another mortar. Was planning on using them in group of 6 in order to secure objectives and get more use out of mystic shield. Your absolutely correct regarding the grinder/doomflayer fiends. They are mostly there to scare the opponent with the possibility of a surprise attack. Might not even deploy them under ground. Just force my opponent into sub optimal deployment. I do like the flexibility.

I haven't decided on artifact yet. The forced +1 to hit injector could be interesting on large blob of clanrats or stormfiends depending on situation. 

Greetings rat-kins got a question for you.

I'm dipping my toes into the Skyre pool, got myself some lightning cannons, an arch-warlock, and grinder (and some of those pesky clanrats to attack-flood the enemy). And now I've come to buying Stormfiends. I plan on going 3x3x3 but... how to glue them? Each and every option they have looks nice and viable (well, maybe the ratling gun and mortar is on the weaker side but still). Is there a "safe and solid" way to glue them or I'm in for a hefty brainstorm? My plan is more or less to throw clanrats ahead, shoot with cannons and then bring big daddies (was thinking about putting one unit with grinder for some surprise element). 3x Warpfires 3x Gauntlets 3x??? Is the drill a good option to put onto them (and thus sacrifice 1/3 of models power)? Use your smart-wits and help me, lads ;)

On 2.11.2017 at 4:55 PM, Betelgeuse said:

I use the engineer as general since he will be more mobile then the arch-warlock who most likely will be standing on balewind throwing lightningbolts. Might switch back to arch-warlock since I  use the warlord trait that lets the mortars reroll 1s to hit and they will probably not move that much any ways. Warpstone sparks is fantastic on these little fellas as well. 

I don't see that rerolls of 1 being that good of an ability. Here's couple of reasons:

1. You're not gonna get many rerolls in the first place. If you do some math, you'll find that you get maybe 2-3 extra hits with them, assuming they all survive to the end of the game.

2. You're blobbing unit that doesn't need blobbing. One of the best things about mortars is that they can be spread all around. This means your opponent has harder time hunting them all down. But if you blob, well single deepstriking unit can kill all of them in one swoop.

3. Warlock has to standby and babysit them. You're basically paying 100 extra to get hit rerolls of 1 and it just ain't worth it.

4. Extra d3 warpstone spark tokens gives you more damage doubling opportunities and you get bad roll fail-safe. This extra damage will likely exceed whatever extra damage you might do with those small hit rerolls.

Good point. Spreading them out might cause som 9" dilemma for armies than surprise attacks as well. Not sure about the big block of clanrats either. Might be better to just use several small units of skryre acolytes as screen/chaff. Maybe squeezing in another packmaster as well or a plague priest.

19 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Greetings rat-kins got a question for you.

I'm dipping my toes into the Skyre pool, got myself some lightning cannons, an arch-warlock, and grinder (and some of those pesky clanrats to attack-flood the enemy). And now I've come to buying Stormfiends. I plan on going 3x3x3 but... how to glue them? Each and every option they have looks nice and viable (well, maybe the ratling gun and mortar is on the weaker side but still). Is there a "safe and solid" way to glue them or I'm in for a hefty brainstorm? My plan is more or less to throw clanrats ahead, shoot with cannons and then bring big daddies (was thinking about putting one unit with grinder for some surprise element). 3x Warpfires 3x Gauntlets 3x??? Is the drill a good option to put onto them (and thus sacrifice 1/3 of models power)? Use your smart-wits and help me, lads ;)

3 guys with flamers is a very safe bet. The others is up to playstyle. Do you plan to use packmasters? Because if you do the gauntlets is a really nice choice as well. The drill is a trickier question... You are perhaps sacrificing some potential since it only hits on a 4 but it is always nice to let your opponent know that he/she might risk having 3 stormfiends running wild in their back line. 

Also... have anyone tried the gautfyre skorch battalion since ghb2017 with success or is it just plain to expensive now? Thinking something in the lines of this. Will be a hard time holding objectives.

Arch-warlock
engineer (in gautfyre)
engineer
packmaster (ally)

3 Stormfinds w. warpfire (in gautfyre)
6 Stormfiends w. shock gauntlets and doom flayers
2 x 5 acolytes

Warp-grinder (in gautfyre)
Warp fire thrower (in gautfyre)
Wind mortar

Clan skryre w. gautfire & chokelung

Lads, one more question about Stormfiends... how you get with their limitations when it coming to glue?

Let's say I want 3x Warpfire (easy to do, since I have 3 boxes) and 5x Gauntlets + 1x Drill. Greenstuff the missing gauntlets? Buy spare bits and greenstuff them in since they have different hands sockets?

5 minutes ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Lads, one more question about Stormfiends... how you get with their limitations when it coming to glue?

Let's say I want 3x Warpfire (easy to do, since I have 3 boxes) and 5x Gauntlets + 1x Drill. Greenstuff the missing gauntlets? Buy spare bits and greenstuff them in since they have different hands sockets?

I have yet to try it.... Skaven are low on my list of armies to add to my Hord of Chaos. 

But this looks like a plan ... http://thepaintedrat.blogspot.com/2015/03/stormfiends-magnetizing-guide.html

This guide is nice but... not tackling my problem at all. Let's say there are 3 bodies per box - A, B and C. Each can be armed with two weapons A with A1 and A2, B with B1 and B2 and so on. I want to have:
3x A1 - not a problem

1x B1 (not a problem)

5x B2 (big problem since I'm left with only 2 type B bodies and spare C that I don't need)

2 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

This guide is nice but... not tackling my problem at all. Let's say there are 3 bodies per box - A, B and C. Each can be armed with two weapons A with A1 and A2, B with B1 and B2 and so on. I want to have:
3x A1 - not a problem

1x B1 (not a problem)

5x B2 (big problem since I'm left with only 2 type B bodies and spare C that I don't need)

Either buy some stormfiend wespon bits as separate pieces (and some greenstuff to make the different poses work) - or go crazy with the green stuff :o

• 3 weeks later...

I never played skryre in GHB2017, but I was wondering if its possible to make a viable list with the stuff I currently own?

The models I have that would fit into a Skryre list:

1 Arch Warlock

2 Engineer

10 Acolytes

3 Stormfiends

1 Warpgrinder Team

4 Warpfire Thrower teams

4 Poisonwind Globadier teams

3 Jezzails

1 Doomwheel

Most potential allies I can think of:

80 Clanrats

Verminlord Deceiver

Of course I can always pick up another box of Stormfiends if needed. I can also convert some Ratling teams or more warpgrinder teams out of clanrats if needed with the spare bits from the stormfiend kit.

6 hours ago, Kugane said:

I never played skryre in GHB2017, but I was wondering if its possible to make a viable list with the stuff I currently own?

The models I have that would fit into a Skryre list:

1 Arch Warlock

2 Engineer

10 Acolytes

3 Stormfiends

1 Warpgrinder Team

4 Warpfire Thrower teams

4 Poisonwind Globadier teams

3 Jezzails

1 Doomwheel

Most potential allies I can think of:

80 Clanrats

Verminlord Deceiver

Of course I can always pick up another box of Stormfiends if needed. I can also convert some Ratling teams or more warpgrinder teams out of clanrats if needed with the spare bits from the stormfiend kit.

I too dont play pure skryre but also wanting to build a pure skryre force. I think that the heart of what makes skryre good is simply stormfiends as battleline. The traits are great, but there isnt much in the way of doubling damage that gives HUGE potential. Probably the best thing to double is a PWM lobbing into a large unit to get 12 dmg. Anyway, the point im trying to make is we need more stormfiends lol. I, like you, only have 3, which is insufficient for skryre allegiance. We really gotta capitalize on stormfiends as battleline and arent doing ourselves any favors by bringing only 3. Im still unsure as to how to equip them. Pure warpfire projectors seems like a good option, but so too do shock gauntlets so i dont know (Gonna need at least some warpfire for that sweet m.w. output). 

For me, im still weighing the pros and cons of buying more stormfiends vs investing in an entirely new force. My only force is skaven, and im starting to desire something a bit more... consistent? (Does that sound better than competitive?  Lol). Considering sylvaneth, ironjawz, and stormcast. The dirty rats have been letting me down! :(

2 hours ago, Flood said:

I too dont play pure skryre but also wanting to build a pure skryre force. I think that the heart of what makes skryre good is simply stormfiends as battleline. The traits are great, but there isnt much in the way of doubling damage that gives HUGE potential. Probably the best thing to double is a PWM lobbing into a large unit to get 12 dmg. Anyway, the point im trying to make is we need more stormfiends lol. I, like you, only have 3, which is insufficient for skryre allegiance. We really gotta capitalize on stormfiends as battleline and arent doing ourselves any favors by bringing only 3. Im still unsure as to how to equip them. Pure warpfire projectors seems like a good option, but so too do shock gauntlets so i dont know (Gonna need at least some warpfire for that sweet m.w. output). 

For me, im still weighing the pros and cons of buying more stormfiends vs investing in an entirely new force. My only force is skaven, and im starting to desire something a bit more... consistent? (Does that sound better than competitive?  Lol). Considering sylvaneth, ironjawz, and stormcast. The dirty rats have been letting me down! :(

Luckily I have my 3 Stormfiends equiped with Warpfire already, so that team is done as far I'm concerned. Maybe I'll pick up more stormfiends, but the fact the boxes don't come with round bases really annoys me. I had to go ahead and purchase their overpriced bases after I got my stormfiend crew, and thats not something I'm looking forward to to do again.

But I feared as much, I guess acolytes just don't cut it. A real pity. I wouldn't mind investing more if at the very least the game was a bit more balanced.

It is really nice to have stormfiends as battleline but they are insanely expensive. Usually run two units or in some cases one large version (mystical shield efficiency) and just fill up with small units of acolytes since they are dirt cheap. I have run this list lately. 

Arch-Warlock  w. Assassins-bane rigging
Engineer - Overseer of destruction
Verminlord Deciever (Allies)3 stormfiends w. flame
3 stormfiends w. shock & doomflayer
5 Acolytes
5 Acolytes
5 Acolytes
Cannon
6 Jezzails
2 Poison Wind mortars
Rattling gun

Mystic shield on arch-warlock, teleport him to opponent side with deciever (preferably to somewhere that gives cover), blast with spells and flamethrower and finnaly charge with him if there are any suitable targets. The Regular engineer follows the weapon teams to give them rerolls of 1s. Acolytes are just cheap and kites the fiends or holds objectives. 

An alternative is to exchange the verminlord for a balewind vortex and whatever else you like. Arch-warlock gets 2+ save and a sweet spell range with that thing as well as the ability to push for example the cannon a couple of inches forward in order for it to shoot otherwise out of reach targets. You should be able to snipe a hero or two off turn 1 with this strategy/list.

15 hours ago, Betelgeuse said:

It is really nice to have stormfiends as battleline but they are insanely expensive. Usually run two units or in some cases one large version (mystical shield efficiency) and just fill up with small units of acolytes since they are dirt cheap. I have run this list lately. 

5 Acolytes
5 Acolytes
5 Acolytes
Cannon
6 Jezzails
2 Poison Wind mortars
Rattling gun

Mystic shield on arch-warlock, teleport him to opponent side with deciever (preferably to somewhere that gives cover), blast with spells and flamethrower and finnaly charge with him if there are any suitable targets. The Regular engineer follows the weapon teams to give them rerolls of 1s. Acolytes are just cheap and kites the fiends or holds objectives. 

An alternative is to exchange the verminlord for a balewind vortex and whatever else you like. Arch-warlock gets 2+ save and a sweet spell range with that thing as well as the ability to push for example the cannon a couple of inches forward in order for it to shoot otherwise out of reach targets. You should be able to snipe a hero or two off turn 1 with this strategy/list.

I quite like this list! :) Looks really fun to play too. I think you could even put a packmaster in there for the Stormfiends alongside the Verminlord. How are you dealing with objectives though? Assuming it'll be quite hard to score with as little miniatures as these?

Yepp scoring is the hard part with clan skryre. Great damage output but few och tanky hord units. The skitterleap helps a bit and if you view the acolyte as nothing ells then objective holders the raw damage output of the rest of the army should focus hard on anything that will counter them. A good opponent will see through this sadly and focus down your acolytes from the start. It is however a truly enjoying army to play.

If you go down the rout of balewind + 40 (or 80) allied clanrats however scoring becomes alot easier... But the deciever... it's so fun to play with I usually agrees to the qbjective difficulty just to bring him in anyway.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:25 AM, Betelgeuse said:

5 Acolytes
5 Acolytes
5 Acolytes
Cannon
6 Jezzails
2 Poison Wind mortars
Rattling gun

Ya this does look like a cool list. I noticed you dont have any formations. What are your thoughts / experiences with that? Do you feel they are just overpriced and would rather bring another unit?

39 minutes ago, Flood said:

Ya this does look like a cool list. I noticed you dont have any formations. What are your thoughts / experiences with that? Do you feel they are just overpriced and would rather bring another unit?

My experience with the Skyre battalions is that they are waaaaaay over priced.  When you take the battalion you have to take the Clan Skyre base battalion (100) plus any 2 of the others.  So the points really rack up fast. The minimum you can get away with is 200 (base 100 + 2 of the cheap and not as good 50 point ones).  To get the deepstriking goodness of the Guatfyre Skorch you are at 300 (100 base + 150 + 50 for one of the cheap ones).  That 300 is another unit of Stormfiends or a bunch of other stuff.  

Ya i figured as much. I havent experimented with skryre very much outside theory hammer. I dont really have all the models id want to feel i can be really effective. I only have 3 stormfiends, arch warlock, warlock engineer, WLC, 6 jezails, 2 warpfire thrower teams and a poison wind globe team. No skryre acolytes, no 2nd WLC, no more stormfiends :(. I have tons of other stuff, but thats pretty much all my skryre haha. 

Ive been fielding mixed chaos for the most part. I really like double vermonlord with deceiver and warbringer. Thats worked out ok for me. Like i said before, i want to get more skryre, but at the same time think it may be more worth starting a different army. 

Anyeay, in theory every time i write a skryre list it never seems worth including a battalion, as like you said i think id just bring another unit of stormfiends. Thats really too bad because i feel its such a waste to have all those great and interesting battallion options just sit there and do nothing. :(

Have you thought about bringing a lot of weapon teams? Like 6+?

49 minutes ago, Flood said:

Anyeay, in theory every time i write a skryre list it never seems worth including a battalion, as like you said i think id just bring another unit of stormfiends. Thats really too bad because i feel its such a waste to have all those great and interesting battallion options just sit there and do nothing. :(

Have you thought about bringing a lot of weapon teams? Like 6+?

Yea it is a bit of a bummer.

As for weapons teams, one of my normal lists includes 5 Poison Wind Mortars.  With the Skyre doubling ability, they can wreck some face (in a game a couple weeks ago I turn 1 blew up a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon when I snuck two wounds through and rolled a 6, which I doubled to 12, and a 4).  I also love that I can spread them out and either hide them behind terrain or use them as chaff/blockers.  I think this aspect get overlooked a bunch.

Archived