Let´s Talk Skyre

Xanax Lot

@mayple

I'm no fan of Gautfyre, but if your opponent is prepared to bring the Kroaknado then I'm prepared to bring Gautfyre :-)

Kroaknado is just ungentlemanly, so I wouldn't be pulling any punches.

I got another one for ya, but it's a little risky haha...

tunnel your jezzails with a warp grinder. If he's bunkered into a corner, you can pop them up (try) in your turn within range of the Kroak and pray It's enough to finish him. Kroak won't get to beat on them until you get a chance to shoot him and you don't need to slow crawl to get in range of him. You can also use a Spark to double damage on 1 of them. Fair chance you'll do 6-8w on him.

your army can charge forward and get a meat shield down in from of them hopefully.

6 stormfiends with ratlings and 1 grinder also, but if he's hard in a corner you won't get to him.

the jezzails will though! If you can roll a 3+ lol.

bloody lot of effort to deal with it...

your verminus list would definitely hard counter it. Any army That can afford to lose any part of it is the counter to that nonsense (duality of death aside). So pestilens and a ton of monks would likely also work.

I think skryre has a chance but it's a real dicey, luck heavy chance.

I totally agree Balewind is just not healthy, It's becoming bad news and very prevalent. I'd prefer to see it changed, too many tactics are starting to revolve around 1 nasty spell and Balewind.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nikobot

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to Gautfyre because I think it is too good. I'm opposed to it because I think it is garbage (really really bad against anyone that knows how to deploy against it) :o Garbage that in this particular case is neccessary. If Kroak brought 40, or even 80 skinks along, even Gautfyre won't do the trick.

Your tunneling jezzail idea sounds great though, but that is indeed a risky maneuver, in the sense that they might not be able to pop out at all if your dice rolling is bad, and might just come in -after- Kroak has killed off the rest of your army. Typical Skaven behaviour, but perhaps at too steep a cost in that case.

Bloody lot of effort to deal with it indeed :P Funny since KROAK is not that much of a problem in himself, but the Balewind just tilts him into the realm of the ridiculous. 

I was planning on going more heavily into Verminus anyway, so this is a good excuse to start doing so more heavily. If a tournament list (which this Kroak list was) can utterly destroy a "balanced" skryre list, but have actual trouble with a Verminus army, then that does lead me to believe that hey, maybe I can get away with the lack of allegiance abilities after all. Ain't nothing stopping me from bringing a Skryre battalion along for the ride anyway, and with a massive horde of rats in front of it, it might just do the trick. Such a bizarre position to be in :P

Essentially trading warptokens and the artifacts for (many) more clanrats and actual command abilities. Gonna experiment with that, see what happens. Narrative-wise, I imagine the weakened, retreating Skryre army got absorbed by a passing Verminus clan :) Together they shall wreak a terrible vengeance upon the foul, dishonorable Kroak. 

I also believe that, if sticking with Skryre, the Vial of the fulminator artifact could be very viable in this particular scenario, as you could increase the threat range of a warplightning cannon by an additional 4", although you wouldn't get the double-shooting, with some luck, you hit him hard, and he rolls terribly on his bravery. Wishful thinking, but that is at least a thing that could be done.

Outside of bringing a.. Ugh.. Balewind of our own. This is a nuke race, I tell you. 

@Mayple

We know that Gautfyre can be devastating to the unprepared. I suppose that what it might do in this case is really fool with his deployment up and turn the game on its head a bit. But as you say, may still not work depending on what he brings to the table. I look at it as being too extreme, not necessarily strong or weak, but extreme things tend to upset the fun of the game.

One of my last games saw my Stormfiends turn up on turn 4 :( So yeah, its high risk.

I dont think you will fit a Skryre battalion into a "verminus" army will you? I don't think you will get left with enough points to call it Verminus in reality, just mixed Skaven I should think.. But certainly a Verminus heavy army may be the answer. Or Pestilens - that would work well I think.

I hope you get get revenge of Kroak, for he is indeed foul. 

@ Filius

from the grand alliance: Chaos book. The grand alliance books are mostly redundant apart from a few battalions I think, this one included.

they come as part of the Skryre Battalion, in which you must choose at least 2 enginecovens, I think it's max 5. But they are part of That battalion and can't be chosen individually.

if you google image search "skryre battalion" you should find images of the pages.

5 hours ago, Nikobot said:

@ Filius

from the grand alliance: Chaos book. The grand alliance books are mostly redundant apart from a few battalions I think, this one included.

they come as part of the Skryre Battalion, in which you must choose at least 2 enginecovens, I think it's max 5. But they are part of That battalion and can't be chosen individually.

if you google image search "skryre battalion" you should find images of the pages.

Ah, yeah, googleing … stupid me, I should have thought about that myself, hehe. But thanks!

On a different topic: The Skyre Acolytes are not the freshest nor the most beautifull minis, esp. as they come in Units of 5 and there are only three different models. I think about converting some myself (using skaven an mechanicum minis/bits), but I wonder wether there's any source of skaven heads with gas masks / respirators other than the Acolytes (maybe third party bits). Does anyone know some?

10 minutes ago, Filius said:

[...] I wonder wether there's any source of skaven heads with gas masks / respirators other than the Acolytes (maybe third party bits). Does anyone know some?

There are some in the Plagueclaw / Warp-lightning cannon sprue (picture), but you only get 3 per boxes so it might not be the best source... Also the poisoned wind mortar team, but their heads are part of the models.

Otherwise, perhaps heads from Adeptus Mechanicus 40k?

I might be interested in converting plague monks into Acolytes if anybody has a conversion recipe?

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Num said:

There are some in the Plagueclaw / Warp-lightning cannon sprue (picture), but you only get 3 per boxes so it might not be the best source... Also the poisoned wind mortar team, but their heads are part of the models.

Otherwise, perhaps heads from Adeptus Mechanicus 40k?

I might be interested in converting plague monks into Acolytes if anybody has a conversion recipe?

Cheers

Ah! Thanks a lot! That's great! I will need some Warp-lightning cannon anyway so that's good to know. And I can do better search on ebay, hehe. Thanks again!

I'm waiting on some of Mantic Games' Veer-Myn models. They've got gas masks, so I'm hoping I can kitbash them together with the rest of what I've pulled together, because I really don't want to have to buy enough Doomwheels and Warplightning Cannons to get enough Skryre heads!

Haha, I started making weird acolytes out of some slinger nightrunners :D

28512103_10210887742339976_822935485_n.jpg.00b6fa4a1b30f340a1fd296dc0c84ddc.jpg

just the beginning, gonna add some robes and ropes and wires etc. The masks are quite terrible, but I think they can look decent enough with painting. I have a total 5 of these in the works, and the idea was that they can either be clan skryre acolytes with some training from clan eshin, or they can be night runners equipped by clan skryre.

So my second outing with Skryre to an event this weekend, quick question for the coven. Do you find the Skryre battalions are worth the investment? Right now my list is pretty standard and has no battalions, but I could easily cut some weapons teams and run like an Arkspark and a Chokelung. How do people find Skryre+allies with versus without battalions? 

1 hour ago, Goodapollo4 said:

So my second outing with Skryre to an event this weekend, quick question for the coven. Do you find the Skryre battalions are worth the investment? Right now my list is pretty standard and has no battalions, but I could easily cut some weapons teams and run like an Arkspark and a Chokelung. How do people find Skryre+allies with versus without battalions? 

What's your current list? :)

Okay, here is what I'm working with.

Allegiance: Skaven Skryre

Leaders
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Masterful Scavenger 
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Warlock Engineer (100)
Plague Priest with Warpstone-tipped Staff (80)
- Allies
Packmaster (80)
- Shock-Prod
- Allies

Battleline
3 x Stormfiends (300) (Warpfire)
- Skryre Battleline
3 x Stormfiends (300) (Melee)
- Skryre Battleline
10 x Skryre Acolytes (120)
- Skryre Battleline

Units
2 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (140)
2 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (120)
1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies

War Machines
Doomwheel (130)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 134

Have clanrats for chaff/objectives/hiding Acolytes, Stormfiends to be threats, weapon teams to hit hordes/poop out MWs, packmaster and plague priest to buff/de-buff units, kind of a mixed bag. 

I originally wanted to run 3x3 stormfiends, but I don't have enough hobby time to get that done for this event. Any advice is much appreciated :)

Split up the acolytes into two units, no need to have 10. 2x5 is better. 

You don't need the warpfire teams, since you've got plenty of other mortal wound ouput. Well. Not PLENTY, but enough that those won't do much. Replacing them with a ratling gun + mortar will increase your threat range nicely. 

Masterful scavenger is also wasted here. You won't use enough tokens to make it worth it. Overseer of destruction will support your weapon teams, and therefore your firepower, much better ;)

The plague priest with censor is much better than the staff one (cause of the book it has), but that's a minor issue. Change it if you desire. 

You should do fine against anything that isn't Kroak or Legions of Nagash (the latter because your list is poor at herosniping) - but that is an acceptable weakness. The lack of enginecovens won't hurt you too much. 

3 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Split up the acolytes into two units, no need to have 10. 2x5 is better. 

You don't need the warpfire teams, since you've got plenty of other mortal wound ouput. Well. Not PLENTY, but enough that those won't do much. Replacing them with a ratling gun + mortar will increase your threat range nicely. 

Masterful scavenger is also wasted here. You won't use enough tokens to make it worth it. Overseer of destruction will support your weapon teams, and therefore your firepower, much better ;)

The plague priest with censor is much better than the staff one (cause of the book it has), but that's a minor issue. Change it if you desire. 

You should do fine against anything that isn't Kroak or Legions of Nagash (the latter because your list is poor at herosniping) - but that is an acceptable weakness. The lack of enginecovens won't hurt you too much. 

Thanks! This will definitely help me get my bearings. 

• 4 weeks later...

talking with a friend who is a skaven player and thinking of working towards this 

Allegiance: Skaven Skryre
Arch Warlock (140)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Creature 
- Artefact: Esoteric Warp Resonator 
Warlock Engineer (100)
- Artefact: Vigordust Injector 
Warlock Engineer (100)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
5 x Skryre Acolytes (60)
3 x Stormfiends (300)
9 x Warplock Jezzails (420)
1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)
40 x Clanrats (200)
- Rusty Spear
- Allies
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
Arkhspark Voltik (50)
Rattlegauge Warplock (50)
Clan Skryre (100)
Balewind Vortex (100)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 200 / 400

Hi all,

I've been playing AoS a little over a year now and decided to try out a second army for a change of pace from my ironjawz and skryre was the choice. I'm working towards the following 1k list and would like help in expanding from there:

Arch Warlock

Stormfiends x3 - shock gauntlets

Acolytes x10

Mortar

Warp Lightning Cannon

Clanrats x40

I was thinking of expanding and going for the gas cloud + arkhspark. I currently have the above models plus 3 more stormfiends w/warpfire and 5 acolytes

25 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

Hi all,

I've been playing AoS a little over a year now and decided to try out a second army for a change of pace from my ironjawz and skryre was the choice. I'm working towards the following 1k list and would like help in expanding from there:

Arch Warlock

Stormfiends x3 - shock gauntlets

Acolytes x10

Mortar

Warp Lightning Cannon

Clanrats x40

I was thinking of expanding and going for the gas cloud + arkhspark. I currently have the above models plus 3 more stormfiends w/warpfire and 5 acolytes

Hey :)

Gas cloud + Arkspark is a solid choice. Rattlegauge + Arkspark also works pretty well if you invest into some Jezzails, but I'll let people with more experience with that particular combo talk about it's pros and cons - as for now, I suggest you split up your acolytes into two separate 5man units as opposed to one unit of 10. Unless you're going for a super low drop count army, or max out a unit for it's discout, you will always find that two smaller units are better than one medium one - as long as there are no "if there are more than X models in this unit" benefits. By splitting them into two, you rob the opponent the chance of destroying your acolytes in a single blow, and you also get to more efficiently split your resources across the board. 

@Mayple Thank you for the feedback. I hadn't thought of breaking the acolytes down right now, as I'm trying to build toward a max unit of 30 (biting the bullet and buying the GW models, as I actually like them, but dang...EXPENSIVE)

I'll try out the smaller units for now, as we've started up a slow grow league at my FLGS, so it'll be good to learn about them that way. Can you elaborate a little as to why you think gas cloud + arkspark is a solid choice? I was going for it due to it not being gautfyre, and I liked the bonuses given from the two engine covens. Just wanted to get the thoughts of a bit more experienced skryre player. Thanks 

6 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

@Mayple Thank you for the feedback. I hadn't thought of breaking the acolytes down right now, as I'm trying to build toward a max unit of 30 (biting the bullet and buying the GW models, as I actually like them, but dang...EXPENSIVE)

I'll try out the smaller units for now, as we've started up a slow grow league at my FLGS, so it'll be good to learn about them that way. Can you elaborate a little as to why you think gas cloud + arkspark is a solid choice? I was going for it due to it not being gautfyre, and I liked the bonuses given from the two engine covens. Just wanted to get the thoughts of a bit more experienced skryre player. Thanks 

You might want to look into getting those acolytes through conversions rather than buying them one by one. It's a lot cheaper that way. All you'd need is some plague monks, some mechanical bits for their backpacks (space marine backpacks, or Kharadron Arkanauts works well for that) and some green stuff for a globe to fit on their belts. Of course, how you go about it is up to you, but buying them at least seems like a needlessly expensive option :)

The Arkspark + Gascloud solidifies your army as a gunline type of army that can dish out a -lot- of mortal wounds consistently at medium range. Anything within 24" of your setup should find itself the focus of the equivalent of 2d6 mortal wounds in your hero phase (warplightning cannon and prototype gas bomb), then another D6 mortal wounds in your shooting phase from the warplightning cannon. That's just from what you're  getting anyway by having the two battalions, and not counting extra warplightning cannons. I usually run two. With two warplightning cannons, your total focus fire output would be the equivalent of 4d6 mortal wounds per turn, which can be pretty low, but also extremely high. I consistently blow up 13-15 wound models like Carnosaurs and such with one round of focus fire, but that's mostly their mistake for presenting themselves as the sole priority target (i.e: a luxury situation) - In addition to the mortal wounds from your weapons, you've got spells, mortars that are ideal targets for doubling damage with warptokens, and at least one unit of stormfiends with whatever loadout you favour. You'll have some points to spare to individualise, but at the end of the day your rule of thumbs are "please don't reach my lines with your melee dudes" and "I will destroy any big monster you put in my range" - so with that setup you will probably want some token clanrats to be your meatshields ;)

Notably, Arkspark + Gascloud falls apart against a Kroak on Balewind. As long as the player using him doesn't make a huge mistake, there is no tactical decisions you can make that will prevent him from tearing your army apart. 

In short: Medium Range mortal wound nuke that works great when the opponent comes to you, but not so much when you have to go to them, since a notable amount of your battalion benefits come into play in the hero phase, which means if you're out of range of things, you won't actually get to use it. 

Arkspark + Rattlegauge gives you a bit more range to work with, but can be weakened significantly by things that negatively affect your to hit values. A simple -1 or -2 to hit will make it much less effective, but your arkspark should round that out somewhat. Picking the right targets should also mitigate that potential weakness, and I doubt it'll come up often. 

I think a good way to look at it is like this:

- Short range: Gautfyre Skorch

- Medium Range: Arkspark, Gascloud

- Long Range: Rattlegauge

I've never seen anyone run any of the others, so if someone have some additional insight there, that'd be awesome :) Anyway, I hope this helps ya out.

Archived