Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Sign in to follow this  
Mr. White

(Khorne) Bloodskins of the Iron Keep

18 posts in this topic

Mr. White    217

My son nearly has all of his half of the AoS starter (Stormcasts) painted, so I need to pause my work on Silver Tower and knock out the Khorne figs so he can play against more painted models.

bsik.png

3.jpg

20170902_082134.jpg

20170904_111040.jpg

Edited by Mr. White
  • Like 3

They look great! Always good to see an atypical paint scheme (says the man with the Khorne Red Bloodbound). The brighter silver on the trim gives a nice subtle contrast with the rest of the armour panels. If I have a criticism it's that the bright red skin looks a bit off somehow. It looks a bit flat and not quite up to the standard of the other elements - maybe just needs a wash and a simple highlight?

Mr. White    217

Thanks, @Jamie the Jasper !

Yeah, I washed the red skin with reikland, then went back over the raised bits with red again to highlight. The contrast didn't seem to come off as much. Do you suggest something else to shade red with besides that reikland wash?

Either way, they look great on the table to the naked eye. Plus, I sort of like the skin on my AoS models to be bold and colorful, so if I can't tune it up some this works for me.

I find that Reikland Fleshshade can be a bit too subtle over vibrant reds, but that's personal preference really. Both Agrax Earthshade and even Nuln Oil can work too though, and give a better contrast, although obviously they both create subtle tone changes to the overall colour besides just shading the recesses.

If you did want to do another round of highlighting, I think highlighting up towards Tuskgor Fur will maintain the vibrant red whilst shifting it ever so slightly towards a more natural skin tone.

But as you say, if it looks good to the naked eye then keep it as it is!

• Like 1

Soulsmith    741

Ace, saw them earlier on facebook. Metal looks really good. I would suggest using brown leather for straps and boots, it's a little too monochrome right now.

Redking    37

Very cool.  I would second the Nuln Oil on the skin.  For my Khorne armor, I use Agrax.  However, I find that the Nuln gives a better contrast for Daemon skin.

Where is the portcullis from?

Mr. White    217

@Redking, it's a repainted Gatehouse from the Mage Knight line.

I plan to paint some Reavers or that red ogre/spawn thing in the near future. I may need to use y'alls red skin shading tips.

Cheers!

Mr. White    217

Added the 'Bloodkorath' to the OP.

I wanted to not go all red, but still keep with the bloodskin theme, hence the blue skin. I'm not sure how well it came out. Looks sort of like superman. Shading red continues to be an issue, but with Bloodreavers next I should get plenty of practice.

Mr. White    217

Added the Blood Reaver photo.

Went with a Nuln Oil wash on the red skin and the shading is definitely more apparent.

Soulsmith    741

Really nice, solid painting. I would try and work some blue into your blood warriors but can't fault it!

• Thanks 1

Mr. White    217

That's funny be because I'm considering pulling the blue out of the Bloodreavers.

Seems for cohesion, I need to either remove all the blue or spread some to the Blood Warriors.

Edited by Mr. White

Soulsmith    741

If you aren't keen on the blue as is you could try a desaturated version so the red is your primary focus :) But having that other colour works well i feel.

Tommy    63
On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, Soulsmith said:

If you aren't keen on the blue as is you could try a desaturated version so the red is your primary focus :) But having that other colour works well i feel.

Did anyone else think that article on colour theory in last month's WD was one of the most helpful things they've done in ages? :)

• Like 2

Mr. White    217

The blue on the BloodReavers hasn't been sitting well with me.  Tested out a grey kit and this is much better. This Reaver better matches my Blood Warriors. 

Heck, Mil Muertes agrees...

20170914_063708.jpg

Edited by Mr. White
  • Like 2

Mr. White    217
On 9/7/2017 at 5:53 AM, Tommy said:

Did anyone else think that article on colour theory in last month's WD was one of the most helpful things they've done in ages? :)

I missed this article. Which issue?

Tommy    63

August 2017. Although they don't seem to list all the articles in the magazine description on the website anymore, so I had to google to make sure...

• Thanks 1

Mr. White    217

Last night I wanted to see how quickly i could finish a mini - full cycle. This fella took three hours from gluing, to priming, to painting, then basing. Now my Blood Warriors have a new Champion.

20171012_090100.jpg

• Like 1