Warhammer Azyr App: Worth it?

Nubgan

Hey guys, its been a little while since the app got introduced and was wondering how its doing currently. Seems like a relatively decent time to jump into the service with all the new points and such. Are people finding the service decent? Would they recommend it?

My Problem is Its nice that GW are putting FAQ's and such out regularly, but I have no idea what I have missed and whats been updated since certain book releases. Does having the app overcome this? Or do you still have to fish out FAQs?

Thanks in advance! :D

PS: On a more side note, does anyone know whether updates get incorporated into digital files or do they get froze at the time of printing?

I like it - it's fairly simple to use, your armies on it are completely customizable and it blocks you from using restricted lists and such. My one complain about it is that you can't quick look at a warscroll while using, you have to back out to the warscrolls section of the app. But it does have an option to put your amry in the "My Battle" section of the app, too, which is super handy.

As for updates, they update the points quickly - I've only noticed the FW updates but the Rogue Idol warscroll and new point value was up there real quick.

It's pretty handy and nice layout for list building tbh, and you can add your own photos of units to the list for easy identification. Fairly easy to switch between war scrolls, rules and your list. Worth 99p a month easily.

FAQs are in the app as PDF. I don't think they currently update the data but it might be something they do in the future.

I love the service. It is well worth the 99p. I am often gaming in a non-wifi area and so can't use Warscroll builder. This allows me to create lists on the fly for both me and my opponent. Very useful for pick up play when one of you might need to quickly drum up a list. :D 

It's okay, but not great.  Cheap enough that I have it just go to my monthly phone bill (via google play) and can forget about it, but it's not really that good IMHO because other than units thing are still locked under a paywall.  If it was a bit more but allowed access to all the books and things via it, that would be better (even say $9.99 a month like other subscription services).

9 minutes ago, wayniac said:

It's okay, but not great.  Cheap enough that I have it just go to my monthly phone bill (via google play) and can forget about it, but it's not really that good IMHO because other than units thing are still locked under a paywall.  If it was a bit more but allowed access to all the books and things via it, that would be better (even say $9.99 a month like other subscription services).

I don't think I would be the only person that would spend something like £5-7 a month to have everything unlocked. It also annoys me that although I have this stuff in physical format I still have to have bits behind the pay wall.

Thanks for the feedback though guys :D

I love it. It give you all the points which is handy but far better is that it make it really easy to add the photos and names of your own miniatures. Great stuff and it solves any issues with what is what as you can provide your opponent with list which each unit pictured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

If one hasn't bought books in the AoS app, are the warscroll Battalions unlocked for use in the Azyr app?

Or is one blocked from using the "not unlocked" warscroll Battalions?

All of the battalions and any info that comes in specific separate books are locked unless you buy the corresponding Battletome or campaign book through the App.  That part is a bit annoying as I have hard copies of several tomes and wish there was an unlock code or something to get them in the App.

The army builder works fine and having a quick button to transfer everything into the area where the warscrolls are is nice.  I cannot get the print function to work or save a PDF out though.  I asked several times via their feedback email and no response nor improvement.  I like being able to just browse through different units and read their scrolls just to see what various factions can do.  It comes out to $1.29 with tax a month so around $14 US a year.  I haven't used mine in like two months though... I should go mess around with it.

41 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

If one hasn't bought books in the AoS app, are the warscroll Battalions unlocked for use in the Azyr app?

You can include them as part of your army, but you can't view them without unlocking IIRC.

All of the battalions and any info that comes in specific separate books are locked unless you buy the corresponding Battletome or campaign book through the App.  That part is a bit annoying as I have hard copies of several tomes and wish there was an unlock code or something to get them in the App.

So, if I'm understanding correctly; you can't build lists that use a battalion, if you don't buy the book in which the battalion was published in the app.

(I'm not looking to get the rules for the battalion, I'm looking to use the points for the battalion in the builder.)

12 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

So, if I'm understanding correctly; you can't build lists that use a battalion, if you don't buy the book in which the battalion was published in the app.

(I'm not looking to get the rules for the battalion, I'm looking to use the points for the battalion in the builder.)

You can build the list and include the battalion (with its points) but there is no verification of having the appropriate units in the battalion or anything. It's a great addition to the physical book (e.g., my Seraphon battletome). 

You get the points for everything, it doesn't have the rules though, they're in the Warscroll section and are unlocked by buying the ebooks through the app.

Although it's in the same App it seems Azyr is it own entity and not linked up in the same way as the other sections. Its a list building device not a rule repository. In essence it's a fancy version of Warsrcoll builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to try it out and I love it, definitely sticking with it. Being able to build a list on my ipad, then export the warscrolls from my list to "my battle" (where they are all in one place) means I just use my ipad while playing to look up warscrolls. Works great.

I'm interested to see what happens with existing saved army lists in the app when the points are updated tomorrow - will our saved lists be recalculated with the new points?

I like the app - definitely worth 99p a month.

The unlocking issue just isn't an issue with regard to the Azyr app in my mind - as @Ollie Grimwoodstates, the app really is two separate apps in one, a Warscroll repository (where you just pay for those Battalions if required) and the subscription Army Builder.

Archived