Shadespire Warband Wish List

Gaz Taylor

The thing about the warband requests is that because they are not customizable and that there are no points or scalability to the game, the warbands would need to match up to the power levels of the ones that have been presented.  That makes some of the requests such as Ogres/Warherds/Demons/Spellcasters very unlikely unless your warband consisted of 1 or 2 models and I though somewhere I heard the minimum was 3 (I could be confusing Skirmish - which I honestly think I like better already).

From what I have read and watched so far I don't think spells/prayers/etc. will be more than a playable card.   I could be wrong, they could be a character-card specific ability but I don't think you will see an actual "magic system" set up.  Ranged attacks will be tricky as well  While at least one of the existing models does have a ranged attack, it is on a chain so very limited number of hexes it can reach.  If you start introducing actual firearms ala KO, things would skew pretty quickly due to the limited number actions/moves per round unless like charging, each model can only do it once per round.

I am not sure what I think of this game so far.  I love the skeleton miniatures though, those will be bought.  I wish the game boards had more dimensionality to it.  There are LOS/movement blocking hexes on the boards, why couldn't they have included a few plastic walls/columns/fences?  Actual object objectives would have been nice too but you have to actually stand on them to claim them so not sure how easy that would be.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me here are the ones that are at the top of the list:

1. Flesh-Eater-Courts - Would love to see some models more in line with the new FEC fluff, plus those Ghouls sculpts are so old.

2. Skaven/Eshin  - Who does not love ninja rats and these sculpts are ancient too.

3. Squigs -  Everybody loves them, they are distinctly GW in theme and have no plastic sculpts.

4. Devoted of Sigmar - Plastic warrior priests and witch hunters - yes please.

5. Bonesplitterz - I know we have pretty good plastics but I don't care I love my Savages, plus we do need some more heroes.

The Carnival of Chaos was great. No chance of the carnival wagon showing up in Shadespire but the others could theoretically be reworked, maybe some scaled up to Blightking size. They were fantastic sculpts: the plaguebearer reciting Hamlet was a gem and the brute was sort of the precursor to the Brian Nelson plastic Nurgle lord so beloved of converters. I'd love to see some of that Blanchian Mordheim weirdness reappear but not sure if that's the approach GW is taking with Shadespire's art direction, sadly.

What about Black Ark corsairs? You could have some fun with the variety of equipment. Have some with repeater crossbow pistols, some with twin swords, some with nets or hooks, maybe a champion with a boarding axe. It would make for some interesting warrior and ploy cards, corner that tricksy playstyle.

I'm a fan of all these characterful suggestions for sure. A smaller skirmish crew of Black Ark Corsairs stuck in Shadespire makes a lot of sence. The same would apply to knightly dressed up Flesh-Eater Cults there to make sure the city of Shadespire is defended well (being delusional or confused about wether or not Nagash is still there, but they thought so :P).

All in all a ton of additional warband options will follow. I think it might freak out people but I'm certain that even a return to Mordheim would technically not be impossible. Afterall this is the Warhammer Underworlds, not Age of Sigmar Underworlds or Warhammer Fantasy Underworlds. In other words... every possible city could be implemented if the designers felt like it would make sence.
There simply said is a wide future in this game and there is little to no reason to not have Warbands show up from any Fantasy related Games Workshop content :D 

Meanwhile, some model inspiration I'd love to see:
img3e318a3a7c854.jpgFemale vampire princess, leading the Flesh-Eater Courts.

c5a2410e2d3abfb5dec60d43894d9070.jpgA Skirmish of Black Ark Corsairs ready to see which treassures the city has to offer.

2 hours ago, Centuryslayer said:

I want to see a flesh eater warband. A few ghouls, a  big crypt horror as the leader of this noble retinue, searching for holy shardglass for their king ;)

This would be great, but I really want some ghouls models that dive into the new FEC fluff.  Some deranged, noble ghoul models would be fantastic and would absolutely make my day.

On 27/09/2017 at 6:18 PM, Travis Baumann said:

The thing about the warband requests is that because they are not customizable and that there are no points or scalability to the game, the warbands would need to match up to the power levels of the ones that have been presented.  That makes some of the requests such as Ogres/Warherds/Demons/Spellcasters very unlikely unless your warband consisted of 1 or 2 models and I though somewhere I heard the minimum was 3 (I could be confusing Skirmish - which I honestly think I like better already).

From what I have read and watched so far I don't think spells/prayers/etc. will be more than a playable card.   I could be wrong, they could be a character-card specific ability but I don't think you will see an actual "magic system" set up.  Ranged attacks will be tricky as well  While at least one of the existing models does have a ranged attack, it is on a chain so very limited number of hexes it can reach.  If you start introducing actual firearms ala KO, things would skew pretty quickly due to the limited number actions/moves per round unless like charging, each model can only do it once per round.

I am not sure what I think of this game so far.  I love the skeleton miniatures though, those will be bought.  I wish the game boards had more dimensionality to it.  There are LOS/movement blocking hexes on the boards, why couldn't they have included a few plastic walls/columns/fences?  Actual object objectives would have been nice too but you have to actually stand on them to claim them so not sure how easy that would be.

Could they implement a big monster scenario?  I know it's meant to be competitive not narrative but a minotaur breaking in mid game to wreck havok would be great! Or maybe some npc rules as well

On 10-10-2017 at 11:31 PM, CDM said:

Could they implement a big monster scenario?  I know it's meant to be competitive not narrative but a minotaur breaking in mid game to wreck havok would be great! Or maybe some npc rules as well

I think Shadespire lends itself extremely well for dungeon play with models like this and automatically generated card effects. :) 

However I am uncertain if the designers of WU will go this way, by large because they put the emphasis on organized play a lot. Offcourse there is absolutely nothing stopping us from creating our own sub-set of rules that allow us to do this.

Many designs from the Dungeons and Dragons tile-game and WoWTCG Raid decks have incorporated an AI very well.

I think, for me personally, I'm not too fussed as too what factions get done or in what order, as long as we get too see something for each of the main AoS armies. Rather, I'd like GW to take the oppurtunity to provide models/new concepts of older designs that wouldn't normally be re-visted or even re-imagined anytime soon. Really I like too see stuff like the following;

- A Tzeentch warband containing a Pink Horror character, the model itself could be two Blue Horrors splitting from the original body, That way you could have the character's "Inspired" ability be splitting into two blue horrors upon death. Essentially you'd have to kill the model twice. Because the model would be modelled as both 2 Blue horrors/1 Pink Horror you wouldn't need any extra spare models on the sprue.

- A FEC warband of say 5-6 ghouls dressed as Jesters, Knights, Hunters or whatever, similar to the skellies having some "characters" amongst their midst. 

- A Moonclan Warband, with each Goblin having a "special weapon" Eg; Fanatic, Netter,  Attack Squig, Map Cap Mushrooms etc;

On 23/08/2017 at 2:45 PM, awcamawn said:

A troupe of Wandering Aelf Wardancers, fast and maneuverable glass cannon elites.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more - was thinking the same thing but mainly in the hope that they would come with an  AOS  warscroll and points.  I won't be getting into the Shadespire game; I vowed off card collecting games since university when Magic started and people were buying whole cardboard boxes of card packs to rifle through.  I decided that my wallet couldn't compete then and it can't today.  Will still get the figures if I like them though and can use them.

I think those who feel very creative could allready just make a replica of another Warband and use different models for it in a game. I wouldn't mind, makes the mirror not feel as much like a mirror ;) . Unfortnatly tournament rules don't allow for it but then again Shadespire is very cool just with friends also.

On 25.9.2017 at 10:43 AM, ageofpaddsmar said:

Seraphon would work well

I also think Seraphon would work well (and not only because I like them), because they would have a totally different philosophy than others, not searching for treasure nor renown, but to keep Chaos, and Destruction from misusing the powerful magical stuff they could find there. Both Saurus and Skinks could make cool units.

The other ones I would find interesting is KO (for reasons already mentioned by others) and Sylvaneth. The latter ones would try and fight Death there, since they are fans of life. Growing stuff, which also could be an interesting game mechanic maybe.

EDIT: That being said: I kinda expect no new warbands beside the ones already announced and hinted at by artwork. Dunno why, I hope I am wrong.

Duardin treasure hunter warband, handful of belligerent hirsute folk in it just for all the loot ;)

An Ogor and Gnobblar warband could be quite interesting too, one slow lump of muscle and then a bucket load of one and two wound cunning chaps who fall over in a stiff breeze. 

I do think that later on we may see some more interesting warbands, that aren't just the 'regular dudes' in a unit. In a similar way that the Fyreslayers is a Runefather + Vulkites.

The Ogor and Grot warband particularly appeals to me. If only because I hope they take a page out of the Bloodbowl playbook and allow the Ogor to throw Grots (perhaps as a power card or special action on his own card). Think it'd be super interesting.

I really want to see some Devoted of Sigmar warbands as well. I think the 'easy' one to pull off is a Warrior Priest + Flagellants. But more interesting to me would be a Witch Hunter warband, a Witch Hunter + His followers. You could have the Witch Hunter + Templar Knight + Other Guy + Pet (Warhound). Would be super cool I reckon.

I think you can do a lot of interesting things with the Aelven warbands. Wanderers are pretty easy, so won't comment on them but...

Daughters of Khaine are pretty simple in that you snag a Death Hag + Witches + Sisters of Slaughter. 

Scourge Privateers I think are an excellent chance to make a bunch of dynamic swashbuckling Corsairs. Would love to see a female Fleetmaster like in City of Secrets.

Lion Rangers I think you could do an interesting warband by having a Leader + 2 White Lions + ACTUAL White Lion. Potentially could even have further different models depending on how GW want to expand the faction in future (That being said, I don't think GW are really looking to do that).

Last one I'll list are Eldritch Council. A loremaster or archmage in search of knowledge is super suitable for Shadespire, being protected by the loyal bodyguard of Swordmasters. Would expect 1 of the Swordmasters to be dual-wielding. Super great opportunity to make some dynamic Swordmaster models (Especially with Spire of Dawn going OOP soon).

If rats could get a skill to steal other players cards from their hand I will play them every day to ****** off my opponent.

And I would like to see shooting mechanics at some stage so Elves, goblins etc. They can shoot in straight line with a D6 as a range+attack dice.

EDIT

Just found it on BolS

• Skaven have ranged weapons and a theme of extra bonuses for supported attacks versus isolated victims.  Beware leaving stragglers alone in the dark when the Skaven are about…

Hooray!!!

I don’t think we’ll see a huge amount of different war bands for this game. I think, since it’s emphasized that this game is for organized, competitive play, that a new war and needs extensive play testing and balancing. From what I’ve heard the game works very well now with regards to balance. The more war bands there is the more difficult it is to maintain this balance. 

That being said, since we’re wishlisting here...

wanderers and swifthawk agents would be my cup of tea..

Archived