Best cavalry army?

Tomb Kings, probably. Necropolis Knights are the best cavalry unit in the game. You can support them with Skeletal Horsemen and Chariots.

Bretonnians are really good if they can make the charge.

GHB17 makes armies with Saurus Knights look very strong.

Stormcast - all units offer great value/points. The Dracothian Guards hit hard and are very tanky (the Fulminators are my favorite, and are best against shoot armies); the Vanguard-Palladors are a bit less tanky, but are able to move around the board much quicker - with a Lord-Aquilor as their general, they can go from on side of the board to the other every turn. 

Really don't like all suggestions for tomb kings and bretonnia, since if you are new, and don't already have them, it is near impossible to get the models.

But stormcast can do it well, or soulblight with blood knights and vampire on zombie dragon

Slaves to darkness might also be good, with chaos knights, marauders horsemen with javelins for some range, and chariots. Back this up with lord on demonic mounted and sorcerer on manticore could be good. All going down in points for ghb17, and gaining alligence abilities

Without knowing the full extend of ghb17, I'm going to say slaves to darkness/slaanesh. Hellstriders are awesome battleline with debuff, and chaos knights charging with double pile from slaamesh lord seems disgusting. Giving a ten man unit 40 3+/3+ -1 dmg 2 attacks. That's without the horses.

other than that I second the dragon blades. Lord on dragon for 340 is a steal:)

I think there are definitely a few interesting cavalry armies around (Even excluding Brettonians which may become even better in GHB2017 if the points drop).

I posted this as a suggestion in the Chaos GHB2017 thread:

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount (General)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Steed

9x Chaos Knights

9x Chaos Knights (or 2 sets of 5)

Gorebeast Chariot

Gorebeast Chariot

Chaos Chariot

5x Marauder Horsemen

5x Marauder Horsemen

3x Varanguard (For some punch and fits the theme)

Fatesworn Warband

I think that'd likely end up being an extremely competitive all cavalry army. You can even combine the Marauder Horsemen units into 1, and then drop off 1 so you get the Tzeentch protection bonus in the Fatesworn warband (But it may be better to run 2 units as chaff). The entire army (horses and gorebeasts included!) gets rend -1 which to non-seraphon armies would pack quite the punch. 

You've got 3 options for allegiance abilities. Slaves to Darkness would let you tank up quite a few units re-roll save rolls of 1 (2 from both Sorcerers, then gifting out the Tzeentch mark to everyone). Definitely something that has potential.

The more aggressive side is you go Grand Alliance Chaos. On a 6, you get +1 to hit. Lord of War is still there and kicking (even if only on a 3+).

Lastly you can go Tzeentch, not really sure it's worth it for Destiny Dice though, and the Sorcerer Lord's only cast 1 spell so unlikely to make much use out of the extra Tzeentch spells. Certainly didn't feel exciting to me.

Quite tempting... if only I had more time to do all my projects...

As for other armies. With GHB2017 there are a huge amount of factions that can run all cavalry now due to extra battleline IFs. 

I'm sure at some point something will pop up and surprise. Could be Order Draconis, now with cheaper everything and plenty of synergies. Maybe it'll be Soulblight with Blood Knights.

One thing for sure though, the armies will need to have a good plan for tackling horde units. So they'll likely need to be killy enough to punch straight through (or tanky enough to hold a horde unit in place).

Thanks for the responses.  I probably wouldn't play SCE fulminators because they just look absolutely goofy.  I'm not going to play in a tournament ever, so proxying/converting Brets is always an option.  I thought about a slaves to darkness cav army with an inclusion of a mammoth.  BCR always seemed like a fun choice.  I've seen the Beasthammer in play and it seems like a very good way to deal with hordes. 

4 hours ago, PJetski said:

</snip>

GHB17 makes armies with Saurus Knights look very strong.

Can you elaborate? At 100pts for 5 i still dont see a real reason for them. Their warscroll just isn't that good. I didnt watch the stream so was there something in there i missed?

Sorry to be blunt here but you are all wrong.

For your viewing pleasure the best Cavalry army (under ghb1)

VLoZD

VL on Nightmare

GKoT

GKoZD

3x 5 Skeleton Horsemen

Terrorgheist

2000 bang on

Now "you're welcome" [emoji6]

Ask any of the guys at South London Legion, they'll tell you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Megaboss on Maw-krusha
Megaboss on Maw-krusha
Gorefist
6 Gore-gruntas
6 Gore-gruntas
6 Gore-gruntas

1,980 points of pure win under the General's Handbook 2017. You're welcome.

Sounds extremely boring to have an army made of 2 types of units. Win rate < fun. 

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

Sounds extremely boring to have an army made of 2 types of units. Win rate < fun. 

Haha it's a joke list dude! No ones spamming Gore-gruntas for wins!! Where's my crying with laughter emoji at?!

Fun very much > win rate there my friend!

34 minutes ago, Tzaangor Management said:

It's Tzeentch, with Skyfires and Enlightened being the best cavalry in the game... for another four days...

Yeh....Skyfires totally aren't still the best unit in the game in GH2017 :ph34r:

But yeh, there's your serious answer to the question posed by @BaronBanana

5 hours ago, Gotrek said:

Can you elaborate? At 100pts for 5 i still dont see a real reason for them. Their warscroll just isn't that good. I didnt watch the stream so was there something in there i missed?

At 100 per 5 they seem to be strictly better than Liberators, and that's before you consider all the amazing buffs that Seraphon can throw on them.

They're not going to punch through 2+ saves but they might be the best battleline unit in the game.

10 minutes ago, PJetski said:

At 100 per 5 they seem to be strictly better than Liberators, and that's before you consider all the amazing buffs that Seraphon can throw on them.

They're not going to punch through 2+ saves but they might be the best battleline unit in the game.

I kinda disagree because of their save (they are horrible glass cannons) so you have to play hundreds of points of support units to make them worthwhile. They are quite good when fully buffed, which means Hunter's Steed+Starlight+Mystic Shield+Serpent Staff+Celestial Rites+Firelance but that's not exactly cheap.

Best battleline in the game IMO is Skinks. 200 points for 40 little guys with the wary fighter ability is pretty good, and they don't need many buffs to be pretty great. Just a Skink Chief and Mystic Shield and they can win.

(and yes I know this is about cavalry, just sayin')

With the new points, and if the leaks are any indication, Free Guild may just be on this list.  If demigryph knights get a major cosy reduction and battleline if, plus some outriders and pistoliers supported by a couple Freeguild Generals for combat and buffs, that would be deadly. The Freeguild general buffs the Griffin bites too.

This is even before I have seen their new items and abilities.

Also Freeguild can take archer only battleline which is good support for your cavalry charges.

Archived