Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

xking

Let's Chat Dispossessed

106 posts in this topic

xking    164

I thought there should be a thread for the Dispossessed. So I made one.

Edited by xking
  • Like 4

someone2040    472

I think overall they're going to be more interesting to play. 

The dispossessed allegiance ability at a glance looks like it'll be better than generic Order from GHB1. Then you'll have access to items like the Ancestral Pickaxe which will add some interesting opportunities. A couple of units went down in points which means can squeeze more stuff in.

In terms of list, this is what I've been thinking about based on the models I already own plus the information we have so far:

Warden King x2

Runelord x2 (1 with Ancestral Pickaxe)

3x 10 Dwarf Warriors

10 Longbeards

20 Hammerers

10 Irondrakes

30 Quarrelers

Allies 

Runesmiter

20 Vulkite Berzerkers

The idea being that the Runesmiter and Vulkites will cause mahem in the backline while the Dispossessed can move into position for round 2. In round 2 or perhaps round 3 based on how things look, the Runelord with Pickaxe buffs a unit, and then disappears along with a different unit (Probably the Irondrakes whom may not actually be in range anyway). Next turn, back comes the Runelord and Irondrakes, who the Runelord can now buff said Irondrakes who can double tap (I believe this is the case, as they wouldn't have moved in the preceding movement phase, just popped up in the hero phase).

Not sure yet whether or not I'll go along with it. I probably have most of the models (Apart from the Quarrellers), but unsure if they're going to feel a bit samey as my Free Peoples army (Which will also likely have the 30 Xbows, seems to be the strong unit).

stato    170
5 hours ago, xking said:

I thought there should be a thread for the Dispossessed. So I made one.

Excellent!  I thought I couldnt find one.

Bought a load of warriors in anticipation of GHB2017 and excited to see the opportunity for a massive regiment. Id like to buff their save a bit as 5+ isnt particularly strong even with the re-roll in combat, I see this as their main weakness. Longbeards still I think benefit from being ran as 10s, so I currently have 2x10. I have hammerers too which im still unsure about and only have to fill the requirements of the clan throng battalion.

One thing I think to consider is the use of compendium warscrolls with GHB2017 allegiance abilities. If you look at Keywords they could be considered to be applicable (as the Dwarf compendium has 'Dispossessed' keyword for all uints). Not sure what I think of that, but might not be an issue in competitive events if compendium is not allowed.

I still like the battalion for the re-roll 1 to hit, either the Grudgebound War Throng or the Compendium Clan Throng. I know they are expensive but for a gunline build that re-roll to hit combined with the +1 to wound a unit from the King (or 2 unit if you have a second Warden King and use the longbeards) is a good combo.

Looking forward to seeing the full capability with the new abilities and artifacts, its a fun time to be a Dwarf King. 

Edited by stato

Seraphage    48

It is a fun time indeed to be a dwarf king ! 

The new point costs might as well allow us unit oriented armies and not war machines - which I obviously love but cannot be relied due to the sniping possibilities of all armies. List building will be more fun than ever !

stato    170

Warhammer Community have just released some info on the new Dispossessed Allegiances, and they look pretty fun!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/24/davids-duardingw-homepage-post-3/

Grudges now have an impact beyond your person vengance, giving you re-rolls against types of units. So when you see your opponent dropping down large units -I have a grudge against those, re-roll!-  or slannesh turn up and try to run riot -I have a grudge against fast guys, re-roll!-  this could be so much fun!

• Like 1

Laerethian    2

I wasn't really impressed tbh... Other factions got better reworks (Free People in particular, they have awesome battle traits and general traits). GW basically copied and pasted the rules from the Grudgebound War Throng, which is acceptable, if we considered that it was pretty unplayable in 2000 points. But come on, at least give us a new and easier battallion, like for fyreslayers... At least they got points right

stato    170

I dont think any legacy factions are getting new battalion, only the ones with older Battletomes.  The War throng may not give much but re-roll 1's to hit, on what will be typically be a battalion of ranged units, is pretty big.   

I played a small game last night (and have a tournament on Saturday) and was constantly irritated by the short range on the thunderers. They seemed to either be singled out and destroyed early or if left then never had any targets. I was running them mostly as objective holders and due to the game being 750pt I had to move the other units up, hopefully if i can keep them nearer my other units they might prove more effective. 

stuntymike    61

So plenty to digest with new book dropping. Headlines for me are that we're prob going to be rerolling 1s to hit a lot and not worrying too much about battleshock. I think there's probably some decent lists we can come up with, the ancestral pickaxe is pretty much an auto-take and due to the lack of a viable battalions I'd be surprised to see the other artefacts.

What's everyone's thoughts for allies?

I'm thinking we need to add speed or stompiness. 

My first thought is something like a Knight Ayzros - need a speedy hero imo -  and 2 units of prosecutors/Skywardens/Endrinriggers. Maybe even try and squeeze a gryph hound in. 

A runefather on Magmadroth sounds like fun though maybe not optimal, a couple of Fulminators are also a good shout. 

There's also the option of a Runesmiter and pals. 

Anyone got any cool ideas I'm not thinking of?

This was the first list I've come up with, bit I'd like to try a 30 of IBs and also 20 Drakes at some point.

30 Quarrelers seem to be the only thing we prob don't want to leave home without.

Allegiance: Order

Heroes
Warden King (120)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Knight-Azyros (80)

Battleline
10 x Longbeards (120)
40 x Warriors (280)

20 Hammerers (360)

Units

30 x Quarrellers (360)
20 x Ironbreakers (320)
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)

Total: 2000/2000

Edited by stuntymike
  • Like 1

stato    170
3 hours ago, stuntymike said:

My first thought is something like a Knight Ayzros - need a speedy hero imo -  and 2 units of prosecutors/Skywardens/Endrinriggers. Maybe even try and squeeze a gryph hound in. 

This was the first list I've come up with, bit I'd like to try a 30 of IBs and also 20 Drakes at some point.

30 Quarrelers seem to be the only thing we prob don't want to leave home without.

Allegiance: Order

Heroes
Warden King (120)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)
Knight-Azyros (80)

Battleline
10 x Longbeards (120)
40 x Warriors (280)

20 Hammerers (360)

Units

30 x Quarrellers (360)
20 x Ironbreakers (320)

Total: 2000/2000

Ha! I was thinking a very similar thing for allies. They seem to be a good match and the Azyros will help for the gunline. 

stato    170

Well the compendium are out now, and it's a big shock. Full re-write, points appear to not have changed but no more Dwarf battalions either.

So, we have finally lost our named characters, goodbye Thorgrim, Josef, etc. 

In addition the dispossessed leyword has been removed so no integrating compendium with the new allegiance abilities.  No indication of allies either so implication may be you can only run these as Order Grand Alliance.

Pretty surprised to be honest, this is really a strong step.

Got to say really upset by this move. It really does feel like they want to phase out dwarfs entirely and move to the two new duardin factions. We've lost some massive abilities by losing named characters, losing our king and his extra attack buff and losing thane battleshock immunity within 16 were two major parts of my strategy that serviced me very well. 

For me the battleshock is probably the biggest lose, particularly seeing they've handed the same ability to empire generals. I feel it's thamatically off, as the dwarfs feel no more tough than anyone, and the free peoples just seem like a misguided bunch not the proud soldiers the empire once were. 

Also I don't believe any of out hero's now would stand up to the really big hitters that empire and others have. 

And finally the fact we're not gaining a lot at all, hurts me. 

Another big hurt is the loss of artillery buffs for artillery. Flame Cannon can now only ever do d3 damage, grudge thrower can now only ever do one attack..... And soo on,  making engineers rather useless. 

So tempted to ignore these new warscrolls entirely. And just use want I want from GHB. They say 'it's your game' after all (I only ever play at home anyway). 

Edited by Shackledhorf

stuntymike    61

Aye, you can always play with your mates how you like. The original compendium pdf is there if you want to use it.

This move was always coming, to be honest the writing was on the wall after the Order book came out when the character choice and flavour got gutted. I live in (faint) hope that we'll get some new models and maybe a battletome but in the meantime I'll try and make the best of what we've got. 

• Like 1

Seraphage    48

I honestly believe that we will get new models at some point and a battletome. Not trying to be hang on false dreams but the whole range of our units is still out and just got upgraded in circle bases. They do NOT plan to take them away.

Will just replace the heroes with new ones that every one can buy so no one is left out if new. 

• Like 1

Mordeus    14

It just sad because the stuff is so bland now. We lost abilities, have no character or fluff to create anything, it just feels so bland. It wouldn't take them that long to just add a bit of fluff, invent new characters to replace the old ones. Belegar could have been recast as someone else, Snorek of the Flashy Mountain or something, give him one special rule and call it quits! This would have made the whole rule set a bit more of an easy pill to swallow. Between this and all the Kharadron FAQ stuff, I am going to need a lot of Bugma.., no sorry i mean Far-Ranger ale to keep me going! And whats up with the Anvil only buffing itself haha!

Yeah I hope that, they do develop them further and give more in the future. But I feel like they're just getting split between the new factions. I first thought this when we got the ironweld artillery arsenal. Now with the loss of the key words of feels like it's going further so the units still in print will just be options for other order factions to use. 

I honestly think I'd have been happier to 'swallow' the loss of names hero's (who are now very weak), if we hadn't lost the thane battleshock ability and above all else our artillery buffs, for a factions famed for its artillery, they're now a bit poo lol. 

It just doesn't fit with lore when. We've lost a lot of battle shock abilities and our artillery buffs. 

I'm glad we got hammers as battleline. Bur it feels like they've heard everyone moan about dwarfs being massively handicapped through battlelines, give us that and then downgraded everything else :(

jamierk    30

It was mega disappointing when they created two new 'dwarflike' factions without giving anything to the actual dispossessed faction in terms of character or new models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerlin    93

This thread feels pretty negative.  To me it is just complaining about a bit op fluffy older models.

I have several of the heroes, and most of the artillery so I feel the pain. But they just gave dispossessed huge buffs to points, massive regiments, and abilities. Especially compared to other factions.  

I knew this was coming, so I was mentally prepared. I played my last game with all the old warscrolls last night. I may go back and use them sometimes, or I may not. 

I think this is still cool. Many factions got rebalance at once, not just dwarfs. There are a lot of people naval gazing and ignoring the game wide balance.

How many games have you all played so far with the new rules? None? Then try them first.

I have been writing lists for my games this week and next week and the dispossessed list plus allies looks awesome.

I can drop Kharadon overlords, and bring some dwarfy cavalry. Or I can just be old-school and bring cannon. The gunsmith is now better than the cogsmith, but Grimm is gone so that's how it is.

Heck, this may get me to buy some fyreslayers.

• Like 1

stuntymike    61

Ah bloomin' heck folks the past is the past is the past, (and as every Dwarf player knows, things were better then!) But let's try and move this thread in a positive direction. What lists are everyone thinking? Who's got some games coming up?

I quite like the look of this, though I wonder if it's better to have a big unit or Warriors for the bodies, or whether Fulminators are a better option than Prosecutors.

Warden King 120
Runelord 80
Runelord 80

10 Hammerers 180
10 Longbeards 120
10 Hammerers 180

30 Quarrelers 360
20 Drakes 400
10 Ironbreakers 160

Knight Ayzros 80

Prosecutors with Javs 100

Prosecutors with Javs 100

Gryph Hound 40

Edited by stuntymike
  • Like 2

Fungrim    366

I'll be rebasing 30 hammerers and 30 ironbreakers in the coming weeks!

The points reductions and battleline options are great. As is the ability to use ironweld, kharadron or fyreslayers as allies

Super excited about dusting off my dorfs! 

Edited by Fungrim

Fungrim    366

Also folks, instead of debating how negative or not this thread is, how about putting a bit of effort into being positive (this includes constructive criticism), seems like an easier, more fluid solution (as opposed to sarcasm and personal jibes)

• Like 1

Dave Fraser    132

More likely I'll just be using the dispossessed as allies into other order armies where I want a solid defensive unit (30 ironbeakers). 

As a standalone army they lack enough interesting options to make them jump out to me ahead of my other armies. 

hobgoblinclub    493

Please think about you present you opinions on TGA and how you speak to others. I've had to hide one post on here which was purely sniping at a previous poster.

Steve. 

Seraphage    48

I am definitely going to try the big number units. 30 man warriors and ironbreakers with the pickaxe could actually be useful to stop the opponent from moving as freely against as as in the past.

I think the reason I've found this a pain. Is because I seems like it's confirmed to me that they're being phased out to be replaced by the two other duardin races,  with the named characters for those two fact ions and the loss of keywords and other majod buffs (engineers in particular). 

I think as a lot of people have pointed out they will he using allies to strengthen their army. I've never had interested in fielding anything but old school dwarfs. So will try my best and build a new list, but I'm not hopeful. 

One question. As the updated warscrolls are only including a few warscrolls, I'm assuming all units not included still stand from the old scroll?