Moving hordes of models around the battletable more efficiently

Groomy

Your armies are growing in numbers, and it seems that players will get benefits from bringing an even larger amount of hands on to the battlefield. At this point I begin to wonder and look for guidance about moving models around the table more efficiently (read: fast). I noticed in one of the Twitch games, guys were using those half wooden trays but am curious if any alternatives have been discovered/created.

I personally am just really bored spending much of time moving minis, it kills part of the joy from the game and would love to learn from your approach on the matter. Generals of moonclans, savage orcs, skaven, hordes of brimstone horrors and others, talk to me. :)  

I got all my movement trays from TectonicCrafts - love them. If I were an Ironjaws/Khorne player I would have everything deployed on movement trays, do all my bonus movement, and then just take them off the tray as I charged. As Wanderers I basically just use the trays to help me run away lol. Definitely makes the game play faster. 

I love moving my mini's around the table, and I hate movement trays. I also like Daisy chaining them to get buffs while far from my heroes. I also find myself playing with a lot less mini's lately, thanks to Skirmish and Path to Glory. To each there own I guess...

I only use movement trays for the legacy armies in squares (skeletons, gobbos, etc.) where the rank-and-file look fits better. For rounds it just doesn't look right, plus you would end up removing models from the holes to pile in, get in range, etc. anyway.

Yeah, a good question for those that use the movement trays is what do you do once the unit gets into combat? At this point the movement trays become useless as things turn into a scrum, so assume you have to move the models off.

Do you end up just leaving the movement tray where it is, and have models on and off the tray (or even half in slots as they've moved in closer)?

One comment I will put into the mix for anybody who uses or is planning to use movement trays.

Please consider your movement trays as an extension of the bases of your models.  Plopping down a bare laser cut MDF movement tray doesn't do anything to enhance the aesthetic of the game - at a minimum whack an undercoat on it, or better still pop some sand/textured paint on and make them match your models!

33 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

Yeah, a good question for those that use the movement trays is what do you do once the unit gets into combat? At this point the movement trays become useless as things turn into a scrum, so assume you have to move the models off.

Do you end up just leaving the movement tray where it is, and have models on and off the tray (or even half in slots as they've moved in closer)?

I move them off the tray and then remove the tray. 

1 hour ago, Gorks Pokin' Finger said:

When I first started playing Warhammer Fantasy back in the 2000's, I used chunks of folded paper to move my rank-and-fine Orcs and Goblins. I wouldn't suggest it now, but hey, it would allow you to move the horde and keep them in any formation you'd like 

For quite a few years the trend for square-based, rank-and-file games is to use magnetic trays. It helps a lot with transport, too, since models just don't fall out of the tray.

10 hours ago, Koalaninja said:

Coins in bases. Sounds strange but when the modes are weighted moving them becomes far easier as it's harder to knock them over with fast arm movements. 

Great point. I have a couple models with coins at the base and they do tend to feel easier to move around. Gonna "coin" a unit to see how much the difference is. Still, when you have 174 bonesplitterzs... It even stops being polite to your opponent. 10% play, 90% they watch you move your minis. I start to feel bad for them at that point. It's like accidentally stepping on a drum set and kicking it over at a funeral. Awkwaaaard

Well.. if your playing Gobbo's or Orruks you are supposed to make fitting grumbling noises and inter-unit squabbling while you move them.  It fills in the time and helps with the immersion.

Movement trays were fine for WHFB days with rank and file but they are an eye-sore with the skirmish-style round bases and loose unit formations used in AoS.  Not to mention you will fail to utilize your units potential tactical strengths in exchange for laziness.

Bring some role playing to it and have at it with your little characters and enjoy the moment as they climb over one another to get to the kill'n.

14 hours ago, Koalaninja said:

Coins in bases. Sounds strange but when the modes are weighted moving them becomes far easier as it's harder to knock them over with fast arm movements. 

When coming back into this hobby and being fully used to metal figures, it took me a while to appreciate how amazing the detail and poses had become with plastic (and even good spin cast resin like Loud and Ragin use).

The downside to these materials is they are light as a feather and I end up accidentally flinging Deamonettes all over the place.  Weighting them definitely helps in stability, movement, and feel.  I don't use coins but I have been putting little rocks and stuff on the bases scenically which helps and I have weighted some of the under sides by gluing the bits of metal fabs or whatever that fit into the old slotta style bases as I rebase my older metal figures to round bases - that excess goes into the bottoms of the bases for the plastics and resins.

My next planned Tzeentch list is 145 models. That would take up so much time to move each turn and be an absolute bore for my opponent (not to mention the game time it eats up, especially in a timed event).

Cut that down to 6-8 trays and 4-5 solo models and it will improve everyone's day dramatically.

I have all my models magnetized (originally for transportation) and am getting magnetic sheets to use as "movement trays". Have to experiment a bit how much I can texture/paint the surface on the sheet before the magnets aren't effective anymore.

The best part of this solution is that the models don't have any fixed positions on the sheet, so I can place them in a true skirmish fashion while still being able to move them in bulk when needed.

Archived