GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

14 minutes ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I saw that!  I never got a chance to re-paint and re-base my rescued Grimgor Ironhide.  Shucks.  I guess he could still work as a Warboss with Waaagh Banner in the meantime.

Put him on a 40mm and voila Gamgor ironhide, Brute boss of your Ironfist (that's how I've been using mine since GHb 2016 dropped) 

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/22/2017 at 2:40 AM, Sangfroid said:

Good morning gorks fans 

th pieces of the puzzle are slowly falling into place but I'll caveat this with the fact that as I haven't actually seen the wording myself some of these abilities/items may work differently depeding on the exact wording. 

Bloodtoof:

love the idea of this battalion and the new battalion tax finally bites home for IJ though to be fair if it didn't cost 300pts it would be in every single IJ list I imagine. 

Megaboss on MawKrusha: General, Ironclad, armour of Gork 

weirdnob: boss skewer

megqboss: Meat ripper (-1 rend one )

10 brutes

5 brutes

5 brutes

3 goregruntas 

3 goregruntas

ironfist

bloodtoofs

=2000pts

I have been using this exact list (with a Warchanter) and it's pretty nails (Previosuly talisman on Krusha brew on footboss) and was the list I was going to use to for mine and @Chris Tomlin (Sorry I mean Megaboss Krunk) grudge match at Bristol Smash that the famed Megaboss chickened out on (just kidding was a ironclad reason Da dum dum tsssh). 

I think with the new allegience abilities it really pumps up first we have +2 to charge the brutes become bravery 8 (9 if the boss skewer works need to read that really) and so you can almost not use inspiring prescene at all instead hitting up a Waaagh once engaged (still use it while you advance to be safe). 

If im reading it correctly you have a general that reduces the rend of incoming attacks by 1 (so -1 becomes 0 -2 becomes -1) and if we get the mystic shield on him is bouncing a mortal wound back on a 5+ (against a natural rend -1 and 0 attacks) and a 6+ against rend -2, he becomes a great horde killer, against 120 4 to hit 4 to wound rend -1/0 damage 1 attacks, he will take on average 5 wounds and bounce 20 mortals back, also makes him a good shout against Stardrakes and things that don't have better than rend -1 (rend -2 at a push if we think he can take them down quick) 

with the footboss having meat ripper we also then have 5 sources of rend -2 across the army. 

not sure if I can actually get any work done today, might just spend the day on TGA list theorising with you fellow Megaboss :-)

I love this list, it's a shame it actually comes out to 2020... I am heartbroken... :(

Darn it (mind you I didn't have the book then ;-) easy solution is to drop one of the 5 man brutes to a pack of goregruntas or Megaboss to a Warchanter/second shaman

as an aside now battlebrew is gone unbuffed 3 goregruntas with choppa on average do a similar amount of damage as a Megaboss on foot with no artifacts! I'm lovin that the new points makes more options worthwhile my only gripes so far is no gutbusters as allies and the fact that the Ardboyz mighty horde cost is an "odd" ten at 450 I'm often finding my lists hitting 1930/1950 which is a bit too much points to leave out imo or 2010 (which is infuriating ;-)

i like the idea of allies but then when you get there I find it hard to allocate the points 170 for a gargants or 140 for 3 piggies 

58 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Darn it (mind you I didn't have the book then ;-) easy solution is to drop one of the 5 man brutes to a pack of goregruntas or Megaboss to a Warchanter/second shaman

as an aside now battlebrew is gone unbuffed 3 goregruntas with choppa on average do a similar amount of damage as a Megaboss on foot with no artifacts! I'm lovin that the new points makes more options worthwhile my only gripes so far is no gutbusters as allies and the fact that the Ardboyz mighty horde cost is an "odd" ten at 450 I'm often finding my lists hitting 1930/1950 which is a bit too much points to leave out imo or 2010 (which is infuriating ;-)

i like the idea of allies but then when you get there I find it hard to allocate the points 170 for a gargants or 140 for 3 piggies 

I think dropping 5 brutes for 3 Gruntas is the most optimized, as I think that extra rendy megaboss do hurt more than gruntas. it's a shame to lose a 5 man brute squad, as they are just fantastic, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Well, I think that becomes very hard when you allocate 460 pts to one model already. Allies may play a bigger role in armies that are not using a Maw Krusha.

For example:

Heroes:
Megaboss

Megaboss

Weirdnob

Battleline:
x10 Brutes

x5 Brutes

x3 Gruntas

x3 Gruntas

x3 Gruntas

Battalions:
ironfist
bloodtooth

Allies:
Gargant
Gargant

2000/2000

What are people thinking for 1k ironjawz now? Ironfist simply seems too pricey to include any more. 

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Megaboss

Warchanter

10 Brutes

5 Brutes

3 Gore Gruntas

This leaves 100 points. Not sure what to squeeze in then, Rock Lobba? Or do we go for the bare minimum three units at smallest size and run an ironfist?

1 hour ago, Soulsmith said:

What are people thinking for 1k ironjawz now? Ironfist simply seems too pricey to include any more. 

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Megaboss

Warchanter

10 Brutes

5 Brutes

3 Gore Gruntas

This leaves 100 points. Not sure what to squeeze in then, Rock Lobba? Or do we go for the bare minimum three units at smallest size and run an ironfist?

I would be tempted to run a Grot Sharman to cast mystic shield and provide support. After all I find at the lower levels the Megaboss is basically there to provide inspiring to the large brute unit and clean up heroes/ assist with combat. Anything that makes the brutes tougher/the boss bossier is good. Giving the boss Live to Fight and either claw (to give rend 2 to the boss chopper) or Destoryer (for the extra damage) makes the Mega boss a potential source of extremely high quality damage that no hero of his cost can match. And a huge target (Though between him, the brutes and the gore grunters, having more threats is awesome!.)

I'm kinda tempted to do a double wizard list using a Grot and a weirdboy as the leaders. One to cast mystic shield, the other to provide some reach and mortal wounds every turn.

Either that or make the warchanter boss and replace the megaboss with a Orc big boss with banner to provide rerolls to wounds; between the chanter and the banner every point of damage usually begins sticking on a huge radius so that even the units not receiving the warchant are enhanced and he can afford to be fairly standoffish, the trade off being that neither of these heroic options are as good as cleaning up stragglers as a Megaboss, which results in the list's relying more heavily on the brutes to carry the list.

I honestly think that it would take away too much from any list to run Ironfist at 1000 points.

I was wondering what a megaboss-less 1k would be like. Would be intriguing to see a double caster list. I certainly have options, just waiting for the warscroll builder to update with new points so I can knock out some lists. I have got a banner boss and warchanter sorted so I may give that a go, just as a deathstar-esque list.

Just now, Soulsmith said:

I was wondering what a megaboss-less 1k would be like. Would be intriguing to see a double caster list. I certainly have options, just waiting for the warscroll builder to update with new points so I can knock out some lists. I have got a banner boss and warchanter sorted so I may give that a go, just as a deathstar-esque list.

I find usually at the 1000 point mark is where the megaboss usually excels at, but on the same note I find that is when the casters are also at their strongest as their mortal wounds have a greater impact on the state of play and there are fewer units to buff.

The main advantage is that the banner boss and sharmans are usually harder to deal with as they mightn't be so close to the frontlines as the mega boss, the main disadvantage is that neither is as immediately impact as a brutal axing. xD Though the absence of battle brew might act to diminish some of his strength.

I picked up the spiderfang grotz box, thinking I could use them as allies to my Ironjawz. I am gutted to have read this thread & the generals handbook to find their not able to ally. I haven't opened it yet so I'm thinking of returning it now [emoji852]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Snitchey said:

I picked up the spiderfang grotz box, thinking I could use them as allies to my Ironjawz. I am gutted to have read this thread & the generals handbook to find their not able to ally. I haven't opened it yet so I'm thinking of returning it now emoji852.png

If your heart is set on Ironjawz that may be the best way. But they are great fun, so if not have a thought.

If your heart is set on Ironjawz that may be the best way. But they are great fun, so if not have a thought.
I've always wanted a giant spider. Really gutted that I now have one & can't use it. Unless I start a whole new army

I'm the same, the arachnarok is something I wanted since they released it though. At the end of the day, not everything is about the game I guess [emoji4] 
Thanks you are right. I started Ironjawz because I liked the models. Not because of rules. I should look at the Spiderfang grotz in the same way & hope that one day they amend the allies list [emoji4]

My 2000 point list is this

1 megaboss on foot as general I havent decided on trait/artifact

1 megaboss on foot 

1 warchanter 

1 weirdnob shaman

30x ardboys with shields

5 Brutes

5 brutes

formation either weirdfist or ironfist

allies: 1X Idol of Gork 

1 balewind vortex thing.

with weirdfist clocks in at 1990 with ironfist clocks in at 1950.

I would use the 2 megaboss's, brutes ,and Idol of Gork to go smash into enemies lines plus 1 bravery from idol and I could use command traits to increase their bravery even further. I would use the 30 ardboys and the vortex and weirdnob to provide decent support from the backling with a 36 inch reach plus a 2, 3 or 4 to casting depending on how far my idol has ran up the board and basically dish out some mortal wounds at a 36 range if I am running weirdfist I can add 6 inches depending on role or a extra mortal wound to that spell for a 42" range or for gorks foot or whatever the gits call it d6 +1 also depending on how far brutes have gone so essantially first turn I can target heroes and everything else with magic dishing out some mortal wounds in a very far corner.

40 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

It costs points now for every time you cast it. So if you cast it then unsummon it to move somewhere you have to pay the points again...so basically if you dont want to pay for it more then once youll have to never move and castle up

wow that is poo where is the faq for that located?

Archived