GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

@Southern trolls 

i make it 2300pts so gonna need to trim away at that sadly, it is a good idea for a list though. 

Hey, sorry @Southern trolls, just ran the maths myself. @Sangfroid is right. That's a 2300 point list....I thought it looked big haha!

4 minutes ago, Donal said:

If I run Ironjawz to take advantage of Ironjawz battleline but use destruction allegiance, can i give a destruction Artefact to an ally?
I get that i couldnt give Ironjawz artefact to an ally hero, but would i be able to give a destruction?

I'm thinking about this for other factions rather than Ironjawz, but not clear on what the new rules are

Interesting. Didn't even cross my mind to look at this! Will have a look in my book when I get home.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Chris Tomlin i really love this

Megaboss on Maw-Crusha - Ironclad, Daubing
Megaboss - Destroyer
Weirdnob - Boss Skewer
Warchanter

Ironfist & Bloodtoof

5 Brutes
5 Brutes
5 Brutes
10 Ardboys
10 Ardboys

im trying to find a list with 10 brutes , megaboss, maw , ironfist and bloodtoof but i think is impossible, if i drop warchanter i can t benefit from hit reroll that is a must imo.

anyway can be a good idea drop 5 brutes for 3 gore gruntes? we got a tanky unit if Big Boss is into gruntas and we can d3 damage in charge with a roll of 6 ! what do you thing about this choice?

and how you build brutes in this case?XD

Man I feel bad for being salty last weekend when the destruction preview came out. Knew there was a bigger picture though and it's starting to look clearer. So many new ways to build Iron Jawz armies now it is making my head spin. Just need to see the new battleplans to really work out what I want to build.  But guessing gonna be searching for Beast claw crossbows for some conversion fun!

I don't have the reps you guys do but I'm still thinking the 10 or 15 strong brutes are worth a consideration.  A big unit like that is the best way to take advantage of the new traits and such that proc on 5s and 6s. And way better shot at getting bashing triggered.  Maybe I am naive though about the morale issues you could face. 

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

@Chris Tomlin i really love this

Megaboss on Maw-Crusha - Ironclad, Daubing
Megaboss - Destroyer
Weirdnob - Boss Skewer
Warchanter

Ironfist & Bloodtoof

5 Brutes
5 Brutes
5 Brutes
10 Ardboys
10 Ardboys

im trying to find a list with 10 brutes , megaboss, maw , ironfist and bloodtoof but i think is impossible, if i drop warchanter i can t benefit from hit reroll that is a must imo.

anyway can be a good idea drop 5 brutes for 3 gore gruntes? we got a tanky unit if Big Boss is into gruntas and we can d3 damage in charge with a roll of 6 ! what do you thing about this choice?

and how you build brutes in this case?XD

I was thinking of a similar list earlier. Only I would have packed two units of Brutes into a 10 man, added some Gore Gruntas and dropped the foot boss. 

Is the foot boss a big must for a list like this? I'm not exactly experienced with Ironjawz so trying to soak in all the knowledge I can!

To bloodfist or not to bloodfist, that's the question...

My bloodfistless list:

Megaboss on Maw-Crusha - Brutal Charisma, Daubing of Mork
Megaboss 
Weirdnob - Boss Skewer
Warchanter

Ironfist 

10 Brutes
5 Brutes
3 Gore Gruntas
10 Ardboys
10 Ardboys

2000 pts on the nail, using all units and characters, some bodies with 2 Ardboys units, 4 characters for Destroyers, Gruntas for speed and Big inspired presenced brutes. Also with charisma, the 2nd brutes unit won't be so scared of bravery losses.

21 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Problem with some of these lists are lack of bodies, which is what I was thinking was going to happen with Ironjawz. There are new battleplans that require units of 20+ to even capture objectives now...so yeah...the new horde meta is real

From what i've seen they dont require 20 models, its just that if you have 5 models holding the objective and they bring 20 you lose control of it to them.

5 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

From what i've seen they dont require 20 models, its just that if you have 5 models holding the objective and they bring 20 you lose control of it to them.

Ahh ok that makes more senese now...but even still. Other then Ironjawz and Stormcast every other faction has a way better means of getting multiple 20+ units out there

Overlords dont really either.  At most we generally run a single unit of 20 company, although that may change with the GHB2, there are a few armies that focus on more elite units that will have a disadvantage in that scenario but you are correct that most have easy access to cheap chaff units.

Wouldn't it be worth to try to fit an Orruk Warboss with Great Waaaagh! Banner into a list like that? Even if Brutes are smahsing 4+ wound models, they re-roll hits, not wounds, so it will always be a good perk. The range on the Banner is also 16", which is not a bad range. He also cost the same as the blood toof battalion. Just tossing the idea in there.

...  I mentioned it above in a reply, but to reiterate; I did make a mistake in my initial review in that your General must be a Leader. The Megabrutes are officially dead. Long live the Megabrutes!   That's the last I'll say on the matter. I'm over it. Not a big deal. I expected as much and I'm looking forward to exploring something new going forward. They'd definitely become something of a crutch.    At present it seems everyone is looking at a blurred foreign leak page or two of their favourite allegiance and are getting upset about their Battalions going up! This really is a bigger picture type thing and I for one can't wait to see the sort of lists people start trying out, starting at my event, BLACKOUT, next weekend! ... [emoji172]

They did that specially for you Megaboss;) at least this is what they say on Twitch;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's an idea for a Horde list.

Megaboss, Bestial Charisma, Destroyer

War chanter, Boss Skewer

30 Ardboys

30 Ardboys

5 Brutes

5 Brutes

Ironfist

2x Gargant 

plenty of bodies on the field there along with some brute muscle and some gargant back up. Sad to leave the cabbage out but I may give it a whirl

First @Chris Tomlin   thanks for those posts!

It seems new stuff makes IJ more fun to play! Obviously I can not say yet about competitiveness. There is one thing though, that I hoped for being included in IJ army one way or another. Some sort of 'deep strike', a way you can hold on to some of your units in reserve and unleash them at your convenience. Think about 'cabbage' swooping down on your enemies and being able to transport, let's say  5 brutes...aaaah I got dreamy and all...

I am saying this because lots of armies have this sort of capability, we really don't. Recently I played against Kharadrons. He started (on the table) with 3 basic units and gave me first turn. SO I was quick and deadly and pretty much destroyed all of his 3 units turn 1.  And then it was his turn....
Relatively small ship appeared in a place of his convenience and ridicules looking amount of models (including 3 chemists I think) got out of it - >some balloon dudes were towed :). He shot to pieces any units that I could use my turn to charge him. On the next of his turn he shot the rest, and that was it beginning of the turn 3.
O.o

I think that, what I am saying is you can't kill things that are not there :D , and if opponent have a way of dropping down on you his 'stuff', to take out your heroes etc. you are in big disadvantage.

Well...we will see what has changed for others in that regard...

Ironjawz have caught my eye since release. Now that they have new fancy rules, and since I am parting with my old Ogre army and will no longer have a Destruction force (still have VCs, SCE, and DoT), it might be time. Might go the cheap route (cheapest I can see), and get 2 each of the Start Collecting boxes, and Skirmish boxes, alongside the double giant box and do a list like:

Mawcrusher
Weirdnob
Warchanter
20x Arboyz
10x Brutes
6x Gore Gruntas
2x Giants

Not necessarily the actual squad sizes, just how many dudes I would bring (which would be every model minus the extra shaman and chanter).

@Chris Tomlin Hey Chris, if you have a minute could you clarify something about Rampaging Destroyers/Mighty Destroyers?

Do you get the option of choosing the 6" move/Charge/Pile in or is it solely based on your proximity to enemy models? For example if you're within 12" of an enemy model you must Charge if you roll successfully for Mighty Destroyers.

It's a small thing, as you can just choose not to try for Mighty Destroyers (and most times Charging will probably be better) but it'd be interesting to have the option.

57 minutes ago, VoodooChileIRL said:

Do you get the option of choosing the 6" move/Charge/Pile in or is it solely based on your proximity to enemy models? For example if you're within 12" of an enemy model you must Charge if you roll successfully for Mighty Destroyers.

Soley based on the proximity to enemy models. There's no decision for us to make;

No enemies within 12" - 6" move
Enemies within 12" - Charge
Enemies within 3" - Pile in

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Soley based on the proximity to enemy models. There's no decision for us to make;

No enemies within 12" - 6" move
Enemies within 12" - Charge
Enemies within 3" - Pile in

Hope this helps.

That's great, thanks for confirming that.

I was only thinking about when it would be best to try and use it to Charge vs Maneuvering first in the Movement phase. I'm probably overthinking it as it has me wondering if taking more Shaman or Shooty Allies so if your Maw-Krusha has ended up Charging in the Hero phase and left something alive, that freeing him up for an additional Charge later (with magic or shooting) might be worth it.

Hey guys, the battle between Pete Foley and Ben Johnson on the Warhammer TV stream today was amazing and absolutely worth watching.  One of the most exciting games I've seen on the stream to date!

Brutish Cunning happened

(*not British Cunning, as some of my friends misread LOL - although that happened too!)

56 minutes ago, domus said:

Hey guys, the battle between Pete Foley and Ben Johnson on the Warhammer TV stream today was amazing and absolutely worth watching.  One of the most exciting games I've seen on the stream to date!

Brutish Cunning happened

(*not British Cunning, as some of my friends misread LOL - although that happened too!)

British cunning sounds good to me, was a great game and the chat was really cool too between the viewers

22 hours ago, Xelotath said:

Here's an idea for a Horde list.

Megaboss, Bestial Charisma, Destroyer

War chanter, Boss Skewer

30 Ardboys

30 Ardboys

5 Brutes

5 Brutes

Ironfist

2x Gargant 

plenty of bodies on the field there along with some brute muscle and some gargant back up. Sad to leave the cabbage out but I may give it a whirl

Painting 60 Ardboys though.... :/

Archived