GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

12 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

I think basically this problem stems from their rules in WFB with Armed to Da Teef basically allowing them to change equipment type every turn. What this has meant is that unlike every other kit in the game, the kit has not been designed with ensuring each model can be armed with each weapon type. And GW tries to be pretty WYSIWYG, so if a weapon is noticeably different (in this case it is - dual wielding vs one massive choppa) it has different rules.

I agree that this is probably the primary reason.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:11 AM, Garxia said:

Why is nobody playing Ardboyz these days? 

No role in the army? Expensive?

I think that most simply don't like the aesthetics of the models. I still like them but understand that they don't really blend with the other Ironjawz.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So general points.

Yes it is because ardboys equip per model not per unit as people said.

There is at least one other unit since Tzangor can do the same with their shields.

Personally I would prefer they unified the weapon profiles, or let us choose which to use each round (think idoneth reavers) and just rolled the 6++ in as they have for ironskullz. 

It’s definitely a models issue with Ardboys. Rules wise they’re not too shabby and compare well with other 2 wound battleline units. It would be nice to have models that fitted with the more modern Orruk aesthetic and be able to focus the equipment choices without having to buy a boatload of them. A Dam 2 special weapon wouldn’t go amiss either. 

Nah, the ardboyz are fine, you can have a unit of 30 and buff them with 1 or 2 warchanters + waagh + mistic shield and just destroy all.

His problem (the same for khorne) is the mobility. The shooting armys are controlling the meta (Tzeentch, fireslayers, kharadon and some disposesed/freepeople/mix order).

Then when ardboys arrive to combat, all his buffs just gone.

What's the solution? pick 3 units of 6 gore gruntas + one maw crusha ant try chargue them in turn 1, cause the shooting armies are vulnerable if you arrive.

Thats why you don't see ardboyz in lists. If the meta changues or GW put some skills to protect heroes, i think you can see them again, is the same for khorne ^^.

We only need the meta changuing, Indoneth deepkin with his battletrait and moorsars just obliterate the shooting armies, this is a bit step to changue the meta ^^.

Guys, I have an upcoming local tourney later this month and was looking for some feedback on the list I'm looking at running. Not a super heavy competitive scene, but can expect some of the stronger armies to show up. 

This is what I'm leaning towards, so let me know your thoughts

Maw Krusha 

Warchanter 

Troll Hag (ally)

Gruntas x6

Gruntas x3

Gruntas x3

Ard Boyz x30

Ironskull's Boyz

1990/2000

Some reasoning behind the choices. Krusha and Warchanter  - For all the reasons that have been outlined on here countless times. 

Troll Hag - Is another big beast, wizard and great support character. Adds a little in the ranged aspect and can punch in a pinch

GG - I used them in a previous tourney in the Gorefist and they performed bwtter than expected. They offer mobility in an otherwise slower army

Ard Boyz - I've played the max block before and with the proper buffs can be an adaptable in-game unit. Can score, tarpit, punch depending on situation

Ironskull's Boyz - I had 90 points left at the end and wasn't sure what would bring more benefit between these guys and another Warchanter. This unit I feel more comfortable leaving on a back objective or to clean up lone heroes/small depleted units if needed

As always, feedback and thoughts greatly appreciated. Looking for a decent showing from Da Eavy Fists later this month!

Currently I'm playing this:

Maw-Krusha Dabbing Ironclad
Warchanter x2
Fungoid Shaman

10 Brutes
5 Brutes
30 Ardboyz

3 Rock Lobber

Since my comeback to the game: 1-0-1 vs Khorne(4 demon) ; 0-0-1 vs Tzeentch tourney list ; 1-0-0 vs Sylvaneth

Quite like the list, rock lobber are so hit or miss not sure I will roll long with it, but it usually get down an hero I wouldn't be able to get too. Been following you guys to know what to do with my IJ. Having quite a lot of fun with them. Should start painting in a week or two (after I finish painting the house and doing an exam I have to pass soon)

My brother wants Ironjawz with Moonclan - or the other way round - after bashing my Shadespire teams with his mob.

I got Skull Pass minus a few gobbos here and there that I used for conversions, a handful of Ardboyz I didn't need for my old WHFB Orcs and the 2016 Battleforce Ironjawz ('Ardfist?). He has an old Ogre Kingdoms battalion. Plus a Moonclan Shaman on the way. He's looking at getting the weirdnob set or a SC Ironjawz, too.

Is there a semi-cohesive 1000 points list (or bigger) in there somewhere? Just for friendly games. I tried yesterday but Ironjawz are expensive and all the greenskin subfactions...whelp.

PS: And does anybody have the Darran Latham Bad Moon Masterclass from WD351? Or a list of the paints used, at least? More recent WDs quote that article several times as the guide used for very nice (reader) models, but that issue was long before I started buying WD again.

Thanks!

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, Soul oWar said:

Currently I'm playing this:

Maw-Krusha Dabbing Ironclad
Warchanter x2
Fungoid Shaman

10 Brutes
5 Brutes
30 Ardboyz

3 Rock Lobber

Since my comeback to the game: 1-0-1 vs Khorne(4 demon) ; 0-0-1 vs Tzeentch tourney list ; 1-0-0 vs Sylvaneth

Quite like the list, rock lobber are so hit or miss not sure I will roll long with it, but it usually get down an hero I wouldn't be able to get too. Been following you guys to know what to do with my IJ. Having quite a lot of fun with them. Should start painting in a week or two (after I finish painting the house and doing an exam I have to pass soon)

Very similar to my build, which has 5 Brutes and 2x3 Gruntas over the 30 Ardboys. I definitely prefer my variant as I think you can actively achieve more in an objective based game with the wider spread of units. This version certainly does have the ability to play a nice defensive game, which I can be quite partial to (though you can use Brutes or sideways Gruntas in those kind of roles if required).

I think this kind of list is right up there with the best Ironjawz lists we can build at this time.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, Malakree said:

Gotta be honest that's where I'm looking at going with my IJ! Not sure I could give up the weirdnob though, I attempt foot of gork basically every turn....

:o....you absolute madman haha!! :S 

47 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Very similar to my build, which has 5 Brutes and 2x3 Gruntas over the 30 Ardboys. I definitely prefer my variant as I think you can actively achieve more in an objective based game with the wider spread of units. This version certainly does have the ability to play a nice defensive game, which I can be quite partial to (though you can use Brutes or sideways Gruntas in those kind of roles if required).

I think this kind of list is right up there with the best Ironjawz lists we can build at this time.

:o....you absolute madman haha!! :S 

Yeah your list was my inspiration, but I do like the blob of ardboys, people start focusing them because when they get near there line or a number of models in 6" objective. Also I'm missing my last 5 brutes to have the nice number of 20 in my list. Never been a fan of gore gruntas but when the tzeentch player throwed 30 dice of mortal wounds at my blob I really wondered if they were worth it...

Gonna try my list vs the new iodepth tomorrow morning. will let you guys know how it did.

18 hours ago, Soul oWar said:

Yeah your list was my inspiration, but I do like the blob of ardboys, people start focusing them because when they get near there line or a number of models in 6" objective. Also I'm missing my last 5 brutes to have the nice number of 20 in my list. Never been a fan of gore gruntas but when the tzeentch player throwed 30 dice of mortal wounds at my blob I really wondered if they were worth it...

Gonna try my list vs the new iodepth tomorrow morning. will let you guys know how it did.

That's cool. I think I recall you posting in my topic now you mention it :) 

I think I'd actually quite enjoy the 30 man Ardboy unit myself, just need to get around to painting them all one day (own about 60 of the things!)...that said, I do really miss my Brutes when using anything sub 20 (15 is ok).

Interested to hear how you get on vs Deepkin.

12 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I think I'd actually quite enjoy the 30 man Ardboy unit myself, just need to get around to painting them all one day (own about 60 of the things!)

Thats it?

I thought I had about 90 of them.  Then last weekend I was looking for some old Night Goblin models I had squirreled away in a box in my garage and I found more unopened boxes of Black Orcs.  I had a box of 10 of the metal ones (same aesthetic as the current ones), then I found a box of 20 of the plastics for when they first swapped the unit from metal to the current plastics.  Then I found another box of 10...

So now I have no idea how many Ard Boyz I have squirreled away in various boxes over the years.  I think I should fish them all out and field them all as one army though!  Here is a thought:  A Megaboss, a Weirdnob, a couple Warchanters, and then just as many Ard Boyz as I could fit into an army.  Ironjawz as a horde - could be fun!

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

Here is a thought:  A Megaboss, a Weirdnob, a couple Warchanters, and then just as many Ard Boyz as I could fit into an army.  Ironjawz as a horde - could be fun!

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- General
- Trait: Prophet of the Waaagh! 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 252

Played the same list vs Iodepth, a melee vs of that army. my 10 brutes got demolished by the sharks charge which will happen everytime with the batallion that alloy a hero to appear with 3 unit, reroll charge add +3 to the roll... Their small fry are loos to our brute and ardboys, the bonus is vs 1 or 4 wounds, so our battleline eat them easily.

Maw-Krusha was the star, tabled them after I took control of points. Won't always happen, His list was far from optimized (don't ask me to name unit ... ) 30 small fry, 6 tank shark, 9 charging shark, 2 mage one big guy with water cape and one on ribbon thingy ... lol sorry

Started painting my Maw_krusha, Khorne red with a druchii wash, hoping to than lighten with orange dry brush with a yellow glaze on top... No idea how bad it's gonna look for now... I keep you posted

nice summary!

I'm wondering: I see couple of list with 3 rock lobber. I must admit i don't like artillery too much (too expensive per wound and damage done) but it  seem some poeple have success with them. 

wouldn't Spear chukka better to grind hero?

The 40" range is key because a wizard on balewind is 36" for almost all spells. No one of sight stops them from hiding lynchpin heroes from your only ranged threat.

Lastly they are 20 points cheaper so easier to fit into a list.

You are right though, chukka vs lobber is 100% personal choice and list specific. Both are equally good with their own advantages!

13 hours ago, Malakree said:

Lastly they are 20 points cheaper so easier to fit into a list.

I keep looking at all 3 artillery types and trying to figure out why they are priced the way they are and I still can't figure out the thought process that GW used (if any).  I have always loved Doom Divers going back to 4th edition.  All 3 artillery seems roughly equal to me.  If I was to choose one that was possibly the weakest of the bunch, and justified a lower cost it would probably be this version of the Doom Diver and not the Rock Lobber.  I think the Rock Lobber is fairly priced, but the price of the Doom Diver and Spear Chukka seems overly inflated for little reason to be honest.  Also, the Rock Lobber cost is right in that sweet spot where you can max the artillery allotment using your ally points for a standard game.

It's rules are certainly good, and it has advantages compared to the rest of the artillery (they all have advantages and a unique niche), but I would not say that it is explicitly better.  I am pretty certain that the reason you see the Rock Lobber in so many optimized competitive lists is due to cost.

• 1 month later...

Archived