GH2017 - Ironjawz Review & Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Maybe I'm be wrong but I have an idea about how to play pigs!

- if you play bloodtoof you can try the 8" charge for the d3 damage ( you need a 6) 

- if not bloodtoof i think they best use Is as tanky unit. I tested with gorefist and it worked really well..1 turn they can charge for sure into enemy line and stop important units, when your army slowly follow you:)

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I've been playing around with units of 3 Goregruntas and honestly they just seem mediocre. Someone above has said that a unit of 6 is far better and I had been playing around with that idea myself although don't have more than 3 models atm.

You don't need 4 battleline so maybe try them as both 2*3 and a single block of 6?

So at the risk of being a heretic, have you considered dropping the Ironfist in that list? If you did you would be able to field 3 units of 10 Brutes for your battleline and have 100 points left over for a warchanter. Alternatively you could go for 

Allegiance: Ironjawz
Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad 
Troggoth Hag (360)
Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
6 x Goregruntas (280)

Total: 2000/2000

Since you don't have 2 IJ heroes you are missing out on the extra artefact from having a battalion. With the price hike I'm really not sold on any of our battalions at the moment if I'm honest.

I have considered dropping the battalion yeah. I made this. No MK allows for more stuff but I might drop the battalion from that one since the Brutes would outrun the Megabosses

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Troggoth Hag (360)
Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Total: 1960/2000

So my list tonight was 

Mawkrusha, Ironclad, destroyer

warchanter

10 brutes

30 ardboyz

3 goregruntas 

3 goregruntas 

troggoth hag

i played a stormcast Hammerstrike list, so bubble wrapped the army with the 30 Ardboyz,  gave him first turn (was duality of death) so he pushed forwards and as prosecutors dropped had to commit (well made sense too as I could double turn him a probably find or kill his prosecutors) my Ardboyz absorbed the shock (losing 10 guys) then with the double turn back (played for and got ?) Paladins all died (as did another 5 Ardboyz. Turn 3 prior would still have seen him 7-0 up on VPs so I'd have had to of won it in T5 but as it happens I won priority and that was game over pretty much. 

Was a great game that I am doing a disservice to here but am tired and wanted to make the following points as they may help peeps with lists and stuff

1) Troggoth hag is great, but not auto include (thank Gork) a discussion on whether 10 brutes instead of her is a valid choice and something we will discover over the coming months. 

2) loss of Ironfist is not so bad, as long as you compensate and include some goregruntas for a speed element. More models is good for its loss methinks

3) gorepigs are now great (because they cost 140 pts) I was a fan of them before in 3 or 6s but now at a lower cost I like them even more as a speed choice over Ironfist loss. 

4) 30 Ardboyz is also great and gives us a proper screen to absorb anything, they hit back okay and as much as I don't want them to be auto include am no struggling not to put them down in every list (I'm not but it's a struggle)

5) aside from as a points filler is anyone else finding it hard to justify a Warchanter now? 

7 minutes ago, sporadicMike said:

Hasn't been my experience. Any heavy shooting army I've come across has destroyed me. 

Yeah im still on the fence. If you dont take the Ironfist then you need to have something fast in order to get in their face or at least distract them. Which I think some sort of monster can do

I managed to make it a even 2k for once lol Megabosses on foot auto buff Brutes so of course one boss for the unit of 10 while the other boss follows whoever...thoughts?

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Troggoth Hag (360)
Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

50 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I managed to make it a even 2k for once lol Megabosses on foot auto buff Brutes so of course one boss for the unit of 10 while the other boss follows whoever...thoughts?

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Troggoth Hag (360)
Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

You will either need to play hyper aggressive or play the objectives properly. 

I have noticed that one of my big downfalls is going super aggressive early, getting wiped out then losing on VP. If I held off on the aggression till turn 3ish then when I surge forward and grab VP's he doesn't get the uncontested turn or 2 after he wipes me out.

I think modern IJ are going to have to play smart.

The list itself looks quite tasty. Having the Footboss+10 brutes is a hell of a hammer, he probably needs Daubing of Mork though. Maybe even give the second artefact to the other Footboss, with the +1 damage or -1 rend on his boss choppa he becomes quite the threat on his own.

1 hour ago, Sangfroid said:

so bubble wrapped the army with the 30 Ardboyz,  gave him first turn (was duality of death) so he pushed forwards and as prosecutors dropped had to commit (well made sense too as I could double turn him a probably find or kill his prosecutors) my Ardboyz absorbed the shock (losing 10 guys) then with the double turn back (played for and got ?) Paladins all died (as did another 5 Ardboyz. Turn 3 prior would still have seen him 7-0 up on VPs so I'd have had to of won it in T5 but as it happens I won priority and that was game over pretty much. 

Awesome to have a report of the Ardbubble working :D Good to know that we have benefited from the massive unit change!

2 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

5) aside from as a points filler is anyone else finding it hard to justify a Warchanter now? 

Personally I'm finding the opposite :-)

+1 to hit has become rare and precious with the loss of Battle Brew and Bellowing Tyrant.  I'm more keen on him than ever - I look to fit in two where I can.  One for the MBMK, one for the 10x Brutes.  Being cheap characters, you can also leave them behind on objectives (on battleplans that require it) without sacrificing too much.

What makes you say you don't like them now?

The only downside I can see is that Mighty Destroyers is so hard to trigger that it's not worth pumping in the heroes for the Destruction Phase move?  

2 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Personally I'm finding the opposite :-)

+1 to hit has become rare and precious with the loss of Battle Brew and Bellowing Tyrant.  I'm more keen on him than ever - I look to fit in two where I can.  One for the MBMK, one for the 10x Brutes.  Being cheap characters, you can also leave them behind on objectives (on battleplans that require it) without sacrificing too much.

What makes you say you don't like them now?

The only downside I can see is that Mighty Destroyers is so hard to trigger that it's not worth pumping in the heroes for the Destruction Phase move?  

I dont include Warchanters now due to a a few things. The only things worth buffing are units of 10 Brutes and the MBMK. Now if your running a Ironfist youll be able to buff the unit once, maybe twice before the unit out runs all the foot heroes and they are never in range of eachother again. Same thing goes with the MBMK. Your very first hero phase you can buff him then he flies off...and is gone. That Warchanter wil never catch him again.

Its the same reason im shying away from footBoss when running a Ironfist...he is just way too slow

55 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I dont include Warchanters now due to a a few things. The only things worth buffing are units of 10 Brutes and the MBMK. Now if your running a Ironfist youll be able to buff the unit once, maybe twice before the unit out runs all the foot heroes and they are never in range of eachother again. Same thing goes with the MBMK. Your very first hero phase you can buff him then he flies off...and is gone. That Warchanter wil never catch him again.

Its the same reason im shying away from footBoss when running a Ironfist...he is just way too slow

Totally agree on the foot Boss, I have not yet had him in combat once without Rampaging.  He will have to go unfortunately.  

With the Chanter I've not had quite the same problem, because his ability does have that extra 10" reach.  By running him twice (not interested in charging him anyway, so there's no dilemma there), you will be able to reach units that have moved on average 25"  by turn 3 (4" plus 4" plus 2 D6" runs plus 10" range).  That being the case, I've personally not had many problems making use of his ability, other than when I've deliberately cut him adrift to babysit an objective at the back (which at 80 points you can afford to do).

That's just what I've found though, and I guess it comes down to playstyles - maybe I play more compact than you?  However I can honestly say he's doing a good job for me so far.

Good discussion guys, I meant with the chanter that I am struggling to get him in from a points perspective, the way the units fit together I often find he is an after thought becasue i have 80 points left at the end if that makes sense, whereas previously when I built lists it would be boss, shaman , Warchanter (or 2) then units. Maybe it's just me being greedy but I'm finding with lists I want a Mawkrusha, 20 brutes (in varying unit sizes) 30 Ardboyz, a shaman (maybe now a troggoth hag instead ;-) so that's 1750/1990. 

It's a nice conundrum to have I guess so many options :-) 

i am finding like @Malakithe my chanter is getting left behind as well mainly to sit on an objective but my playstyle I do often spread out to fight (or could just be the games I've had (only 7 so far under GHB2017) 

@sporadicMike so far faced Kharadron, clan Skyre and stormcast shooting and found that the 30 Ardboyz moving up as a buffer seems to work as a significant distraction (particularly in the mission that a 20 man unit pips others) that they focus fire on to the Ardboyz meaning the brutes and Mawkrusha hit home realatvily unscathed. It really does take a serious amount of effort to kill off all 30 boyz especially if I get the mystic shield and Inspiring presense off on them as well.  That said I've only played one game with out Ironfist so far so will try some more and see if I still prefer the extra bodies :-)

10 hours ago, Soul oWar said:

IS this a plausible list? Rock Lobba and full general crew

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- Ironjawz Battleline
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)

Really like this list. Got a decent amount of bodies on the table.

I keep looking at lists similat but think maybe split one of the Brutes into 2 x 5 units and then have the Gruntas as a 6? Maybe worth a try.

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Hulking Muscle-bound Brute 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Destroyer 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1990/2000

Just wondering if target saturation could work? I've quite often been surprised just how destructive a Megaboss can be. Maybe difficult to connect with this list since it's quite slow, but pretty hardhitting and many wounds. 

Is mawkrusha really worth 3 Bosses on foot? 

1 hour ago, Screamer said:

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Hulking Muscle-bound Brute 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Destroyer 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Megaboss (140)

Battleline
30 x Orruk Ardboys (450)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1990/2000

Just wondering if target saturation could work? I've quite often been surprised just how destructive a Megaboss can be. Maybe difficult to connect with this list since it's quite slow, but pretty hardhitting and many wounds. 

Is mawkrusha really worth 3 Bosses on foot? 

Holy hell that looks awesome lol but yeah a Maw-Krusha is worth his points in gold. Speed, killy, and importantly, one of the only sources of MW. Ive been debating similar lists but the key is to keep the Megabosses with the Brutes for the buff but the Ironfist will leave the slow Megabosses in the dust. That would look terrifying though lol 

I went with a different idea this time.  Might as well rename the Gargants to distractions 1 and 2

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (170)
Aleguzzler Gargant (170)

12 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Yes, especially if I've already squeezed a Megaboss on foot in there for the re-rolling 1s on multiple units. He's harder to kill and poses more of a threat.

Add to this the fact we can now access much cheaper shamans at 80 points, the only time I'm putting Weirdnobs and Warchanters in my lists now is to fill points allocations and making sure I've got enough heroes. Still find Weirdnob too pricey at 120, and as I say, Warchanter, although I like having at least 1 around, often loses out to a grot shaman.

At first I was concerned with our faction ability I'd want to maximise Ironjawz heroes for that potential 6" move, but popping on 6s just isn't reliable enough to bank on to be honest!

46 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

Yes, especially if I've already squeezed a Megaboss on foot in there for the re-rolling 1s on multiple units. He's harder to kill and poses more of a threat.

Add to this the fact we can now access much cheaper shamans at 80 points, the only time I'm putting Weirdnobs and Warchanters in my lists now is to fill points allocations and making sure I've got enough heroes. Still find Weirdnob too pricey at 120, and as I say, Warchanter, although I like having at least 1 around, often loses out to a grot shaman.

At first I was concerned with our faction ability I'd want to maximise Ironjawz heroes for that potential 6" move, but popping on 6s just isn't reliable enough to bank on to be honest!

Totally agree in 7 games I've rolled the 6, 3 times and for 1 of those was unable to actually do any hing with it due to the fact a unit was 11" from my brutes but they couldn't have charged as the Ardboyz were in the way (and in combat AND more than 6" from the Warchanter anyway!) 

the 4+ has happened maybe 6 or 7 times (well below average btw ;-) but I just now view it as a nice bonus rather than something to count on. 

10 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

the 4+ has happened maybe 6 or 7 times (well below average btw ;-) but I just now view it as a nice bonus rather than something to count on. 

Same! It basically helps me decide how my Mawkrusha moves in my first few turns. That T1 charge against the right opponent could be wonderful (I need more games!)

15 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Leaders
- General
Troggoth Hag (360)
Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Total: 1880/2000

You can drop a unit of brutes and get a warchater, like this:

Allegiance: Destruction

- General
Troggoth Hag (360)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)

Total: 1980/2000

This can be a massive destructive/tanky list.

3 hours ago, Fungrim said:

I agree with your assessment of the Weirdnob whole heatedly. Most of the time I just find him casting Mystic Shield or Arcane Bolt. When doing that I'm paying 50% again the price to potentially inflict mortal wounds on myself....It's one of the reasons I like the look of the Troggoth Hag, she's a caster that's super hard to snipe, has a great kit, does stuff outside of the spells and the mortal wounds go on my enemy not on me haha

30 minutes ago, Malakree said:

....It's one of the reasons I like the look of the Troggoth Hag, she's a caster that's super hard to snipe, has a great kit, does stuff outside of the spells and the mortal wounds go on my enemy not on me haha

Yes, absolutely. I'm constantly debating the Hag vs the Idol in my head. I'll be at WW soon as well so will probably pick one up... wavering toward the Idol at the moment though, the bravery buff and combat threat might be too wonderful to pass up. (Ironically I'll then probably add a Weirdnob back in!)

Has anyone used the Orruk Great Shaman in their lists? His power doesn't seem much different from a Moonclan Shaman, it has a decent casting value, and with 30 'Ardboyz being quite handy to have, the Great Shaman's WAAAGH power  would be buffed by all those bodies for a while. Bonus that he doesn't blow up your own units either.

So this would seems better?

- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning 
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
10 x Orruk Brutes (360)
- 3x Gore Choppas
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)