Da Bonejawz, Mawcrusha finished

Xelotath

Hi everyone, after reading a certain Black Sunz blog I found myself inspired to start my very own Ironjawz army!
so I have started with trying out some colour schemes for the army and here is what I've got so far,

I'm liking the metal scheme a lot, both for ease of painting and appearance. The bone scheme I found quite challenging as I struggle painting over a white undercoat, I can be a bit sloppy! 

I have my first game against KO this weekend. I've never played against these guy before so, other than getting shot, I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have any tips for what I should expect to see or tactics against a 1000pt force. My army will be 

Megaboss
Warchanter
2x 5 brutes
10 ard boys
3 Gore Gruntas 
Iron Fist Battalion.

Thanks for looking and any feedback is more than welcome! 

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

Thanks! My problem at the moment is I really like both. Perhaps I'll just have to finish a whole unit in bone and decide from there. I have a few ideas on how to make painting them a little easier as well. I'll post the full squad once they're done! 

A relatively simple way to do the bone would be 

zandri dust basecoat 

agrax earthshade (or seraphim sepia if you want a more red, nuln if you want a darker effect) all over wash

Heavy drybrush zandri dust 

lighter drybrush of ushabti bone 

(OPTIONAL) edge highlights or lightest drybrush of screaming skull on the tips

i did the same with my Ghostwulfz (except it's ulthuan grey, nuln oil and white scar) and the IJ armour really catches and looks good with drybrushing (not always the case with models) because of the haphazard beaten armour effect but it's easy to get a decent effect. (Especially the brutes and gore grunta riders) 

6 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

A relatively simple way to do the bone would be 

zandri dust basecoat 

agrax earthshade (or seraphim sepia if you want a more red, nuln if you want a darker effect) all over wash

Heavy drybrush zandri dust 

lighter drybrush of ushabti bone 

(OPTIONAL) edge highlights or lightest drybrush of screaming skull on the tips

i did the same with my Ghostwulfz (except it's ulthuan grey, nuln oil and white scar) and the IJ armour really catches and looks good with drybrushing (not always the case with models) because of the haphazard beaten armour effect but it's easy to get a decent effect. (Especially the brutes and gore grunta riders) 

That's a nice idea actually I may have to give that a try. Currently the scheme is screaming skull>Seraphim Sepia>Praxetti white. 

Your suggestion seems like it'll produce a darker bone colour overall which could really work nicely. 

I like the sound of your scheme do you have a link so I could take a look? (To admire, not to steal honest!) 

They look ace! I personally wouldn't have used Blood for the Blood God but it really works on these guys. 

Feeling a bit more inspired to push on with the bone scheme now so hopefully I'll have some progress to share over the weekend.

Hey guys. Only a minor update but I managed to get a few more ladz painted. Would have more but unfortunately most of my brutes have a date with a pot of dettol and a toothbrush! 

So the army has been named the Bonejawz (or as my friend helpfully pointed out, the BJs) and while the brutes are stripping I have a megaboss to be getting on with. Also some sculpting work on my new friend Donnie the Weirdnob. 

Hope you guys like them, hopefully I'll have an update again soon but for now I'm off to go get eaten by some Flesh Eater Courts!

IMG_6157.JPG

IMG_6158.JPG

IMG_6159.JPG

Hello again, been a very busy week and despite my best intentions only really managed to get the Megaboss done this week. Quite happy with him so far, just the base to finish.

Had my first game against Flesh Eater Courts last week. It was brutal, my opponent had a ghoul king, varghulf, 3 flayers, 3 horrors and some ghouls. I went second and he advanced right up to the middle of the board and claimed most of the objectives. In my turn the brutes charged and wiped both the horrors and the flayers and then I doubled turned him and slaughtered the Varghulf and the Ghoul King. He conceded having killed a Brute and one Ardboy. Was a blast using them and I can't wait to get some more games in. Sorry the report was brief but I'm all kinds of busy with beer festivals and Breaking Benjamin concerts! ?

IMG_6184.JPG

IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6186.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, it's been a while since I last posted, bit of a hobby hiatus has been going on the last few weeks. Recently though I was invited to join a Firestorm/Path to Glory campaign at my local GW and finally I'm inspired to get back on the horse (squig?)

So my warband to start with was the Megaboss (known as Charles in charge) and two units of Brutes. 

The first game was against a custom Tomb Kings warband. My opponent had never played Ironjawz before and the game was over very quickly. I lost three Brutes in total. Was fun gaming against a new opponent and an army I had never fought before and we even rounded the game off with a heroic duel between the Tomb King and Charles.

The second was against Seraphon and was quite a bit tougher. A salamander in the back row basically immolated a whole squad of Brutes while Charles chopped up some Saurus Guard. Charles then dragged the bulk of the Seraphon force into the woods for some cover and relied on the Ironclad command trait to keep him alive while the remaining Brutes charged the back row and began chopping Skink Priests into kebabs. At this point it could have swung either way but sadly we ran out of time and I won on victory points. 

So in my first outing I had claimed two territories in the Firestorm campaign, I had better pull my weight as I'm the only player there representing Destruction!!

So a couple of games were all it took to get the hobby juices flowing again and I finally painted Donnie the Shaman! If I'm honest I'm not satisfied with what I've ended up with so I'll have to do some more work with him. Perhaps I should have made the cloak bone and the trinkets red? Anyway next up are the Gore Gruntas. Here's a few photos of the Shaman and the army so far, I haven't done the bases and a few of the lads still haven't got the memo about the change of armour colour! 

@Fungrim and @Chris Tomlin thanks for the encouraging words, glad you like the scheme. It's been tough working off of white as I'm so used to a more forgiving black undercoat but I feel like I'm improving so that's a bonus! And apologies it took me over a month to reply ?

IMG_6438.JPG

IMG_6439.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG

IMG_6441.JPG

@Xelotath

There was someone else's army on here who inspired me to do my shaman cloak the way I did. I'm ashamed to say I don't remember who.

One thing you could maybe do if you wanted more bone white is something like that. If you had the awesome red flames/spikes your megaboss has that would give you a reasonable colour break between the white at the top and bone tassles, plus it would tie him and the megaboss together.

My own take on it is very blurred lines because my freehand is awful, I'm sure you could really do it justice though!

Spoiler

20170905_041952.jpg

(Sorted the Spoiler for you - Chris)

Brief update tonight, been knocking up a new squad of Brutes and while I was clipping away I stumbled across my old 40k Orks, including an unopened box of Nobz! So I quickly set about cannibalising them to add some variety to the Brutes. I also realised that blue tacking brute heads to a sprue is a hilariously efficient way to get them painted. Very glad I discovered that, although I'm sure everyone was already doing that and are laughing at me for being an amateur! ?

I also got Wally the Warchanter painted up ready for a night of Warhammer quest this Thursday. I love that age of Sigmar offers things like Path to Glory, Warhammer Quest, Skirmish and the like that you can use models from your army for. In that way I feel your miniatures really build up their own backstory. 

Anyway I'll leave it there with a few pics of progress so far. Hopefully Friday Charles and his boyz will continue their conquest of the realm of fire! I really need to get those Gore-Gruntas done too. Damn so much to do

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6451.JPG

IMG_6452.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

image.jpg

24 minutes ago, Malakree said:

That warchanter is super sweet dude, looks so good.

Thanks a lot man! I wanna touch up the highlights on the sticks and maybe neaten up some of the freehand but I've a had a little too much caffeine tonight so shakey hand syndrome is real.

Today we played our first game of Hammerhal, not sure how interested you guys will be in this but I want to do a short write up because it so much fun and I want to make a little chronicle of it. Just as a foreword I wanna say that having a good DM adds so much to the game and really helps you bring life to your characters. 

So anyway, Wally the Warchanter ventured into Hammerhal searching for Gronk, the bosses pet squig. He's gone AWOL as he often does and da boss wants him found, the only reason he hasn't charged his whole army in is because he's worried his beloved squig will be lost, or worse, in the chaos of a siege. So with the unlikely allies of an elven Mistweaver and a Cogsmith he charged into the dungeon under Cinderdall searching for Gronk.

After a few skirmishes in the early dungeon Wally stumbles upon a half dead man chained up, having questioned him repeatedly about the missing squig he realises the guy knows nothing and, resisting the urge to bash his skull in, is convinced by Misty to set the guy free and, after doing so, is invited to stop by the church of the shattered blade. After some more searching of the dungeon, triggering a few traps and Cogsworth discovering his own boot after repeated searches of the same room, the team bite off more than they can chew, chased by ten adversaries, flee back to town.

In Cinderfall Wally heads to the Church to find out what his reward would be, the man turned out to be a monk and offered to cure 'the blight' from his group for free. 'That's it?' Thought Wally, no squig? No gold? Nuthin? Disgruntled the Orruk left, but not before trying to swipe the donations box on the way out. An act which resulted in the whole gang being banned from the church. Oops, the others weren't happy with Wally.

Back down in the dungeon the heroes actually managed to work as a team this time and brought down the enemy horse with relative ease, although the poor Cogsmith nearly died in the process. Having cleared the whole floor it was back to town for the group. The dungeon master was so impressed by our efforts that he rewarded the group with a level up! Score.

Back in town, Misty went to the church to apologise for their unruly Orruk acquaintance and the apology was accepted. Although Wally would have to come back in person to apologise too. He wasn't having that, Orruks aren't sorry unless the boss gives them a good thumping and unless he suddenly finds Gronk the squig he's of no use to him!

Cogsworth went to the market and bet a merchant three gold that Wally would win in the fighting pits. If Wally won then Cogsworth could take an artefact worth 5 gold for 3, if he lost then he lost the gold. Pressure! 

In the pit Wally was put up in a scrap against a man who was basically half giant (he had +2 to his brawl rolls! I had no modifier). Needless to say Wally lost, although he put up one hell of a fight. Cogsworth was not impressed however.

We called it a night there, although our DM has said that if I paint up a squig model then he will incorporate it into the dungeons somehow. So while I don't have a full hobby update just now, I do have a squad of 5 Brutes to finish off and a squig for our next round on Saturday. Before then though it's path to glory tomorrow and Charles is busy conquering the realm of fire. Hopefully I don't roll up a warchanter or I will have to explain to the organiser that Wally can't join as he is currently in Hammerhal searching for a squig ?

Hoping to have some pictures of a new unit over the weekend but until then, hope you enjoyed the read, cheers! 

Hey all, another weekend and another unit finished for the Bonejawz. This time it's the first 5 of a soon to be 10 strong unit of hacka Brutes. Had quite a lot of fun mixing in 40k parts with these guys and I've got some of the bone shoulder trinkets on a sprue waiting to be added to the unit. Also I learned today to be very careful when glueing painted models together, I accidentally got some glue on my thumb and transferred the white coat from the base to the face of a Brute. That was gutting, anyway after some tidying up the units finally done so without further ado here are some pictures. As always C&C welcome ?

IMG_6478.JPG

IMG_6479.JPG

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6481.JPG

IMG_6482.JPG

So not a hell of a lot happening hobby wise ATM. I started the Gore Gruntas but have since abandoned them to start work on the MAWCRUSHA.

All I have to share with you right now is a very, very work in progress pic of the early stage of painting. I've taken inspiration for the scheme from the Monster Hunters series' Tigrex. I'll add a picture of him for reference too. Anyway this will likely be a long process but I'll update as progress is made ?

Peace

IMG_6509.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6516.JPG

Definitely cool, you going to do some blue down the spine of his wings or is that all the lines done? I've got a ton to paint but I'm glad it's not an MK, I don't envy you the time and detail he's going to need to stand besides the rest of your army and be the centrepiece you deserve!

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

Definitely cool, you going to do some blue down the spine of his wings or is that all the lines done? I've got a ton to paint but I'm glad it's not an MK, I don't envy you the time and detail he's going to need to stand besides the rest of your army and be the centrepiece you deserve!

Thanks man glad you like it. It's a very different scheme and honestly I'm still terrified that after all the effort it's not going to work ? But I'll push on regardless. Honestly I was leaving the MC till last but I went for it before I lost my nerve to try this scheme! 

The wing spines I was planning on being yellow but I may do some blue on them too. That's just the front stripes mostly done, now for the back! 

Archived