Season of war: Firestorm

Arkiham

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a supplement book based on the results of the Season of War Campaign. Order won control of The Living City, Phoencium, and Greywater Fastness in Ghyran. It has rules for those cities, as well as Hammerhal and a few other cities from Aqshy. There are also three forces based on enemies of the cities, one for each of the non-order Grand Alliances. All of this stuff can be used in normal AoS.

On top of this, there are rules for running a map-based campaign set in Aqshy, with territory control and so on, unlike the above, this is a different way to play AoS.

I've moved a few of the posts in here as its going round in circles.  The 'lively debate' thats going on is a good one, but a few of you are getting a tad personal.  Please play nice. personal attacks will not be tolerated.  Also, if you want to enter a debate, please remember that others have the right to debate you, they are not there to preach at.  

So, despite the fact that the Wraith Fleet turned out to be a little underwhelming, does anyone think they might be inspired to create an undead pirate army full of tasty conversions? If I wasn't already committed to my Bretonnian-style Flesh-eater court I'd be all over this.

As inspiration, I leave these classic conversion created by Rob Hawkins for the old Lustria campaign book (plus some other nice stuff):

P1010071.JPG

CkXrKEUWYAArMxE.jpg

Pirates-small.jpg

13rxs23upwmj.jpg

19 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

New Destruction Firestorm abilities announced, and they sound awesome :0

For anyone worrying about the lacklustre Grand Alliance Destruction allegiance stuff, this seems to fix it!

Now that's what I'm talking about or rather it was before my post got caught up in the (now moved) painting shenanigans.  Still anyway there's gonna be a Waaaagh ?

2 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Now that's what I'm talking about or rather it was before my post got caught up in the (now moved) painting shenanigans.  Still anyway there's gonna be a Waaaagh ?

Yeah sounds like a propper Orcs and Goblins WAAAAAAGH! of various greenskins etc. like the good old days! 

My only gripe is that they have left trolls out of it, which seems curious as they would fit in nicely. 

4 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Yeah sounds like a propper Orcs and Goblins WAAAAAAGH! of various greenskins etc. like the good old days! 

My only gripe is that they have left trolls out of it, which seems curious as they would fit in nicely. 

Yeah but Aleguzzlers are in?  Though probably only because one was in the Ironjawz Christmas deal. 

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

New Destruction Firestorm abilities announced, and they sound awesome :0

For anyone worrying about the lacklustre Grand Alliance Destruction allegiance stuff, this seems to fix it!

Only Destruction abilites for greenskins and Gargants.

I would have wished they would also include Ogors. Or at least the Firebelly faction, because we fight in the realm of fire. 

I am a little bit disappointed. I hope GW isn't slowly abandoning Ogors in AoS, because they are such a unique faction. 

15 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

We have had Beastclaw Raiders so I think they'll be safe for now (maybe forever BCR do seem popular) 

I am just sad that BCR or Gutbusters aren't included in the narrative. I mean there would be cool ways to include a Frost faction in the fight for the Realm of Fire. It seems like a lost opportunity for me. It just seems like GW is only focussing on Greenskins and gobbos narratively for AoS. 

Ogors are the only Destruction faction (I know there i no destruction in 40k, but there are greenskins and gobbos) which differs from 40k. I would be happy if they would get a lot more love. Would be cool if there had been frost and icey abilites for the fight in the Realm of Fire.

Ogors didn't get anything in the new GHB2, so I had hoped that maybe they would get something for Firestorm. It just seems like they don't want to support this faction anymore. But maybe they will release something in the future, one can hope.

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

Seems that some factions seeeming a bit neglected in GH2017 was by design, as they knew extra allegiance abilities and faction combos were incoming. Seems a good omen to me! 

But how does this help those neglected factions? These extra allegiance abilities can be picked even when you use strong factions like Sce or ironjawz etc. Heck SCE can pick one of 7 possible faction bonuses while gutbusters, seraphon, bcr, deathlords etc. don't get anything. It's unfair and boring system that helps strong factions to be even stronger while leaving some factions completely neglected (even some that don't have anything but grand alliance as their allegiance).

I don't like being the party pooper here but I massively dislike how gw is pushing these abilities to be usable in regular games with no apparent penalty. It's one thing for certain factions not have their own unique allegiance traits but completely another when already strong factions get even more boost from abilities that are completely unnecessary for this game.

41 minutes ago, angrycontra said:

But how does this help those neglected factions? These extra allegiance abilities can be picked even when you use strong factions like Sce or ironjawz etc. Heck SCE can pick one of 7 possible faction bonuses while gutbusters, seraphon, bcr, deathlords etc. don't get anything. It's unfair and boring system that helps strong factions to be even stronger while leaving some factions completely neglected (even some that don't have anything but grand alliance as their allegiance).

I don't like being the party pooper here but I massively dislike how gw is pushing these abilities to be usable in regular games with no apparent penalty. It's one thing for certain factions not have their own unique allegiance traits but completely another when already strong factions get even more boost from abilities that are completely unnecessary for this game.

The gerneral feeling from what we were told in the lead up to the release of GHB2017 was that a number of factions would didn't get Allegiance abilities were going to get full Battletomes later in the year. 

1 hour ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

The gerneral feeling from what we were told in the lead up to the release of GHB2017 was that a number of factions would didn't get Allegiance abilities were going to get full Battletomes later in the year. 

Let's hope this turns out to be true. They also said that they will release some kind of book for all factions which didnt get allegiance abilities directly after GHB1, but it didn't happen. After they released GHB2 I had hoped they would release allegiance abilities for all factions which didn't get any, but they released only for a few allegiances (mainly Order). And for Destruction it was only Ironjawz. If it turns out that they were working on a Gutbusters book all along I take back what I said and I will be very thankful.

But because Ogors don't appear in any narrative besides the Beastclaw battletome (and one of the realmgate books) I have the strong feeling that Ogors won't play a major role and will only be some kind of Destruction henchmen, which sometimes follow some Orruks into battle. And eventually they won't be produced anymore or get cut off like Tomb Kings etc.

I am speaking more from a narrative and lore standpoint. I just want the Ogors to be some part of the story. I also would like the Trolls to play a major role as a faction. It would be awesome to see a whole troll faction for the first time. But I don't think this will happen. Because Trolls are even more neglected than Gutbusters.

I am not requesting GW to produce new models. I just want them to give Ogors some backround and some role in the setting (It doesn't have to be a major role. Maybe like Sylvaneth in the Order faction). They already said they will be releasing new heros for all grand allegiances next year, but I can already tell that Destruction will propably get an Ironjawz hero. If not it will obviously a Gobbo hero. Maybe I am wrong and we get an Ogor hero, but I think i am certain that it won't be an Ogor.

I would even be happy if Destruction would get a whole new faction instead of Ironjawz. Like Kharadron Overlords for Destruction (there was a rumor about sky gobbos). Maybe some other Ogor folks can understand me. I am an ogor player since 6th Edition. Maybe It is because only a minority buys or plays Ogors and that's why they don't get any love. But I thought Ogors were pretty famous in Warhammer Fantasy.

16 hours ago, angrycontra said:

This is a campaign in certain Realm and with certain Factions. I think the mistake GW made is writing that you can use the abilities in Matched Play, as now everyone sees Firestorm as an addon for Matched Play... and this is mainly Narrative.

49 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

This is a campaign in certain Realm and with certain Factions. I think the mistake GW made is writing that you can use the abilities in Matched Play, as now everyone sees Firestorm as an addon for Matched Play... and this is mainly Narrative.

Jeah. The rules shouldn't be transferred to matched play. Now it seems, like angrycontra said, that already strong armies will be getting even more advantage. 

But I am also disappointed from a narrative standpoint. I mean I could still play with my Ogors in Firestorm, but for me it feels like they don't belong there, because they are not allied with the Greenskins. Why would it be so hard to also add Gutbusters or Beastclaw Raiders to the new Allegiance? But maybe then people would complain about balance again. 

I mean there are Firebellies in the Ogor faction! They spit fire and fight with fire. Why not include them in the realm of fire? I can't agree with GWs design decisions at this moment, especially about Destruction and Ogors. I think since the GHB1 GW strongly focussed on balancing and competitive play. But i think they should go back to make abilities fluffy instead of balanced. At the moment most abilites increase hit, wound, save rolls etc.

For me this isn't interesting. I want fluffy abilites which fit the theme of the armies. They don't have to be fair. I also think the Death pirate abilities have nothing to do with pirates. Most of the abilites are just +1 to something, or -1 to something. Nothing about the abilites seems fluffy. Maybe this is because I was also in the camp of people who didn't want points for AoS before the GHB1. I am very happy that GW still releases narrative battle plans etc. even though many of the battleplans in GHB2017 were recycled from the Realmgate Wars.

But I had hoped for more in the battle for the Realm of Fire. As you can see this frustrates me very much. Because even though Firestorm should be a narrative campaign it seems like it still focuses too much on Matched Play. 

I even bought Ironjawz, because as a Destruction player you have no other choice. But there is a complete Ogor army on my shelf waiting for battle. Order seems so diverse with so many different factions. I just want Destruction to not be all about Orruks and Grots, like in 40k.

Archived