Blight war - new starter? New boadgame? New campaign?

Sadysaneto

I don't know who sculpted Slimux but I agree it is fantastic. The mount reminds me of the Beast of Nurgle illustration in the bestiary from 4th Edition Warhammer in the early 1990s. Even though I prefer the roaring horror aesthetic of the existing Beast of Nurgle, the lolloping, happy expression on this beast fits the background perfectly.

Be fantastic if snail like Beasts of Nurgle make a comeback - overall, I love it!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I expected much more from Blightwar than 2 new minis and stormcast vs pre-AoS minis (although they are very good). It should have been the other way around - one old mini and a new range of Nurgle minis (mortal ones). Maybe this starter will be expanded like the first one was and by the end of the year we will receive few more units with a battletome. 

As for the snail - it is too cartoony for me. I wanted this snail to be more glottkin style rather than nurglings. 

For those not liking the old nurgle daemons inclusion rather than some newer mortals, keep in mind one of the big reasons they would have been chosen was to get some of the newly established 40k Nurgle/death guard players to pick up the bundle and potentially dip their toe into starting AoS as well.  I think it's a good selection for that purpose, even though I didn't really want more drones.  As said above, they are all great models even if getting on a bit (and hopefully the bundle will be priced taking that into account).

Based on the models included in the box, and assuming the price point is that of a starter kit (Dark vengeance) it looks like you save €52 on the contents. That's without factoring in the cost of the two characters, rules and nurgle counter. Overall, probably a saving of €100 plus, given the characters will be fairly large models. 

My poor wallet.....

2 hours ago, BrAiKo said:

For those not liking the old nurgle daemons inclusion rather than some newer mortals, keep in mind one of the big reasons they would have been chosen was to get some of the newly established 40k Nurgle/death guard players to pick up the bundle and potentially dip their toe into starting AoS as well.

But still it's a bit incomprehensible that they said about this alliegance stuff for nurgle inbox as it suggests there will be no mortals or battletome soon.  I'd rather it was a full release like Tzeentch or Kharadrons had. 

5 minutes ago, Widdershins said:

That would be unpleasant and counter productive given that the box has no book in it, whereas Dark Imperium came with a full hardback for the same price. I'd be surprised if it cost more than the existing starter.

It is not a true starter set. These are full multipart plastic sets.

In 40k there have been a whole series of similar products. Blood angels vs Tyranids, spacewolves vs orks and recently harlequins vs deathwatch.

They all had a collection of old minis with one new hero per side and a small book. 

The deathwatch, Harlequin box was also £95. 

58 minutes ago, Chikout said:

It is not a true starter set. These are full multipart plastic sets.

In 40k there have been a whole series of similar products. Blood angels vs Tyranids, spacewolves vs orks and recently harlequins vs deathwatch.

They all had a collection of old minis with one new hero per side and a small book. 

The deathwatch, Harlequin box was also £95. 

The prices have leaked already, 160USD or 95 disney bucks.

12 hours ago, Aryann said:

But still it's a bit incomprehensible that they said about this alliegance stuff for nurgle inbox as it suggests there will be no mortals or battletome soon.  I'd rather it was a full release like Tzeentch or Kharadrons had. 

Having rules in the box in no way precludes a seperate nurgle battletome coming out soon 

If Blightwar is $160 then I'm not so sure on it anymore, that's an awful lot to pay for that.  I mean I guess it's functionally two start collecting sets which comes out to the same, but damn I was hoping closer to AOS starter price. 

I actually think $160USD makes sense, but finding someone to split the box makes it much more attractive. I'm splitting the nurgle stuff with a friend who has no interest in the stormcast stuff. 80 bucks for the raptor box, the pallador box, 5 hunters, and a hero is a steal!

This set looks good to me.  I have the original Starter set but the contents by itself did not make an entire 1000 pnt SCE army so I am hoping between what is in this box and what I already have I will get closer to 1500/2000 pnt army.  The new heroine looks pretty awesome to me.

I am not too sure about fielding a Nurgle army but they look super fun to paint.  I do wish there were more Pox-Walker type guys or even Nurgled out Chaos Warriors reminiscent of the original Chaos Champions from 20+ years ago as I am not the biggest fan of Plague Walkers but the Snail and Drones look cool.

I have avoided getting back into 40K, initially due to all of the info I heard/read/witnessed around 7th edition and while 8th is much more enticing, I really enjoy the AoS worlds more.  I am thinking about trying to convert Mortarion however, his model looks really cool and I think that a battle between a character like him and Allarielle would look epic on the battlefield.

I hope to see some more diversified Nurgle units emerge from the Garden in the near future.  A missile unit hurling pus-filled skulls via sling-shots mounted on slug-beasts would be super cool.  I wouldn't mind a little more horrific type creatures as well, I like the humorous side to Nurgle but the original Lost and Damned book was actually pretty terrifying.  A Great Unclean One is something right out of a freakish anime designer's mind with faces all over the place, tenticles, intestines, razor tooth filled maws, and lots of bodily fluids.  The good thing, is Nurgle is pretty easy to customize relatively speaking.

Yes, I think they will give it a month or two period of exclusivity for the Nurgle Rules in the box, then a Battletome will follow. Those who can't wait, or just fancy the miniatures in the box, can buy now and the rest won't have to wait long. Alas, I suspect the cool Nurgle dial will remain exclusive to the box. Although EBay box splitters may solve that problem! 

I think Blightwar has been released because Septmeber is set to be quite 40k heavy, I'd expect AoS nurgle to follow at the end of September, and Blightwar is out for people to chew over whilst they wait. I can certainly see us getting a new Beast of Nurgle kit, and maybe a Great Beast of Nurgle too. Hopefully a new Great Unclean One, since the guys with 3 horns and the sword with the censer style brass orb on the hilt has turned up in images a few times.

It's wonderful to see GW putting out more background material to flesh out the setting and advance the narrative like this... but at the same time I'm slightly uneasy about the way they're describing the Blightwar so far. From the descriptions we have, the war for the fate of Ghyran is being fought between Nurgle... and Stormcast.

No mention yet of Sylvaneth or Alarielle, despite, y'know, Ghyran being kind of important to them xD

Hopefully my fears are unfounded they have some presence in the full book!

I've been on the fence about starting some kind of Chaos army that would let me dip my toes into 40k with the chaos side. While I've got a Khorne warband for Skirmish, there's not really enough sunk cost there to make it my go to. I'm really liking Nurgle and the asthetic of the army and of course the new Plague marines and support on the 40k side makes that a bit more attractive on that side. I also seem to have a stormcast army slowly coalescing despite not purposely collecting one, so the unit in the box would help that grow a bit to the point that I might have a real Stormcast army which might me neat. So I'm thinking Blightwar might be a buy for me. I wonder if/when horty will get get 40k rules.

Archived