Blight war - new starter? New boadgame? New campaign?

Sadysaneto

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed with much of what has been said above, the focus on the miniatures themselves in the video suggests a new boxset, whether to replace the original AoS start set or to compliment it! Hinging on the inevitable love Nurgle is about to receive. Papa will be happy.....

I'd say its to either compliment it or stand alone. If it were a replacement for the current starter set, the models would be monopose clip fit, similar to the existing starter set. The models in the video look to be the existing nurgle and stormcast multipart kits (excluding the characters ofc)

2 hours ago, The_Chin said:

Based on the models seen in the video, it would seem likely that it will be a box to kick off the start of the new narrative arc, potentially with a link to the new city based army boxes. Correct me if I'm wrong but the video shows:

2x new characters - nurgle and stormcast assassin

10 Plague bearers

3 Plague Drones

10 Vanguard Hunters

It would fit into the style of the old 40k boxes, ala Stormclaw and Leviathan. 

I'd love to see it as a boardgame style box, like the recent Commoragh box, but given we havent seen any card scenery or board tiles its probably a narrative box with 3-4 scenarios. Looking forward to seeing the narrative behind this - Sigmar moving towards more clandestine operatives is an interesting darker shift!

This sounds extremely plausible! Do you think a hardback realmgate wars style book would be included in the box? I think that would be cool if the price was reasonable. 

My gut reaction, assuming I'm correct, is that it would be a paperback booklet, equivalent size to the one we get in the starter set, with a hardback book launching shortly thereafter. I don't know if we'll see the same size campaign books again - at a guess I'd say they'll be the equivalent size of the "Gathering Storm" campaign books released before the new edition of 40k. Again this is all supposition, I could be completely off base. I'd love a big hardback tome, but as I don't think this is designed as a starter kit ala Dark Imperium, I'd be surprised if we did get such a book in the same box.

I can see one off campaign supplements being a great way to do some of the "world building" some hobbyists have been calling for. You can flesh out a region, include a couple of new characters (potentially buffing a a weaker faction in the process) and give narrative players something to get their teeth into. The great cities sets seem to be doing the same thing.

Development wise Nurgle is well stocked in terms of characters and centrepiece units. What I really hope we see is a couple more mortal units to accompany the blight kings. A poxwalkers equivalent which could be kitbashed with the 40k range and a cavalry/monstrous infantry unit would be great.

12 hours ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

They've already done this with the Thunder & Blood and Storm of Sigmar sets.

They did, yes; but the current 'main' box is only £75 and has no book. I think he was getting on to the fact there'd be a new £95 box similar to Dark Imperium, that contains a big tome with all the gaming stuff in similar to the General's Handbook and a load of models.

8 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

They did, yes; but the current 'main' box is only £75 and has no book. I think he was getting on to the fact there'd be a new £95 box similar to Dark Imperium, that contains a big tome with all the gaming stuff in similar to the General's Handbook and a load of models.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I suppose a new starter set bundled with the General's Handbook would be cool. The only thing is they'd need to either repack or come up with a new starter set each time the GHB is updated.

22 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Ah, I see. Yeah, I suppose a new starter set bundled with the General's Handbook would be cool. The only thing is they'd need to either repack or come up with a new starter set each time the GHB is updated.

Yeah, hence why I think it'd probably be similar to GHB, in that it'd offer a basis of 3 ways to play, but might not contain points or anything like that. Who knows!

Might not happen at all, but it'd be nice. I'm a sucker for a starter set!

I am very sure that will be happening. If not it makes no sense what so ever to exclude Nurgle from the new GHB2 as everything we know so far indicates.

I expect Nurgle to be just as lethal as any Tzeentch or Khorne force after Blightwar is released. Still very unsure about what new miniatures and warscroll we will see though. Also interested to see if the great unclean one and or Exalted great unclean one has a change of profile. 

When Forgeworld created the Exalted great unclean one it struck me as weird that they did not change his flail since the model has never been able to carry one and GW seem kinda focused on WYSISYG.

Since the Thunder and Blood starter is fairly new, I would say it's probably not going to be a new starter, but then again T&B is a smaller reboxing of the old starter for the most part so I won't count it out entirely since maybe GW would like to have Good Guy vs Nurgle in all their starters, but the fact that T&B seems made to fit right into the middle tier so 40k and AoS each have three tiers of starters makes me think that they'll stick with Stormcast vs Khorne for AoS. I would really love a Stormcast vs Nugle starter and would buy it more readily than the current ones, but I don't think it's in the cards. At this point I'll just be happy with new units(i.e. beasts) of Nurgle.

1 hour ago, Mr. White said:

I waa contemplating picking up the nurgle start collecting box to compliment the blight kings in hammerhal. seems those two would be the start of a decent force.

Perhaps I should wait and check this out first? 

Start collecting nurgle + blightkings, that was my initial Nurgle army at first. It's far from competitive but it is a good starter at  680 pt givibg you a good chance to learn their profiles before adding new stuff.

Nurgle need something to handle shooting, a recast of an old model (GUO), a unique, non elite, none Daemon Battleline, and some better synergy. I think they'll be a quick fix, and I am confident GW will handle them well. This release has me excited, especially as I can port my daemons back and forth from AoS to 40k for a quick boost of points.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:36 AM, Sadysaneto said:

yeah, they did, but they never named the release other than tzeenuary or something like that.

Don't forget Orctoberfest and Tanksgiving.

Also, no useful news from GenCon on it.  Shadespire had some demo tables, but after I saw the news about Blightwar online, I went back and asked for details.

The guys at the booth all claimed they knew nothing about it and couldn't tell me anything...which is very possible.  Also possible they were instructed not to talk about it.

22 hours ago, Mr. White said:

I waa contemplating picking up the nurgle start collecting box to compliment the blight kings in hammerhal. seems those two would be the start of a decent force.

Perhaps I should wait and check this out first? 

... and here we see why rumor control and tight lips over release Hi important to sales. 

I just bought a Nurgle Start Collecting box about 4 weeks ago.  I would have waited. 

Now I'll buy both. 

Archived