Blight war - new starter? New boadgame? New campaign?

Sadysaneto

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wayniac said:

Campaign is my guess, or just what they are calling the forthcoming releases for Nurgle and the Stormcast hero.  Didn't they do something similar with Tzeentch when they came out?  Teasers and the like?

yeah, they did, but they never named the release other than tzeenuary or something like that.

IMO it could be botha a new starter AND new campaign books or a new board.

?

I'm so hoping this is another campaign like Realmgate Wars. I love me some narrative missions, lore development, and all those Battleplans!!

Almost all my games I play using Battleplans from the campaign books or battletomes and I love the variety!

?

Horticolous they call me, that is the name sung, those same songs tell that I am the first of Nurgles creations.  The Realmgate War is over and the Grandfather is displeased, thus begins the Blightwar.

Come Black Talon, Sigmars chosen Assassin, your blood shall water my masters rotten earth, your storm-forged bones shall be planted in the poisoned soil of Nurgles great garden

Might have got the name wrong, but it certainly sounds like the next Story Arc

1 hour ago, Kamose said:

?

I'm so hoping this is another campaign like Realmgate Wars. I love me some narrative missions, lore development, and all those Battleplans!!

Almost all my games I play using Battleplans from the campaign books or battletomes and I love the variety!

?

Agreed, the campaign books are great!  

I think it's a series of new Campaign books and obviously new models. Most probably the Pox-Walkers from 40k come with weapon options for AoS, kind of like the Tzangors. Maybe something else new, besides the Stormcast heroine, but I wouldn't expect them in a new boxed set or Start Collecting box until next year.

Well, I was wrong, it's a boxed set after all.

When I went in GW recently the fella was saying that due to Dark Imperium's success, they will likely adopt the same sales model for AoS; a £95, £50 and £25 boxed set. The former will likely contain a General's Handbook-esque tome in it, a long with two armies.

Perhaps this is it? It's a different beast now, AoS, so hopefully this is a reboot to draw some new blood into what is becoming an increasingly better supported and enjoyable game!

I wonder if it'll be more akin to those boxed sets we saw in 40k a few years back.

Think it was like 'Shield of Baal' where they had Tyranids vs Blood Angels in a boxed set and released a few campaign supplements for it. The boxed set basically had kits from the current range + special character for both sides thrown in.

That's what I'd expect in terms of the kits/models. Then we'll probably get a Nurgle Battletome and a narrative book to go along with it.

I don't expect this will be a replacement starter set. They just re-released Thunder and Blood, and I don't see them tooling up a bunch more Stormcast and Nurgle models as push-fit miniatures.

I find it really interesting that this sounds like a Nurgle focused campaign/story/supplement. Nurgle's role in the story so far hasn't exactly seen him win a lot of victories - mostly his forces have been a punching bag for the Stormcasts (and later Sylvaneth). Would have expected Tzeentch to get the spotlight next after Silver Tower and the Disciples release! This could suggest a reversal of fortune for the rotbringers, which is not a development I was expecting...

Anyway, I'm sure my Sylvaneth will be raring to show their old foes the folly of their ways :D

4 hours ago, someone2040 said:

I don't expect this will be a replacement starter set. They just re-released Thunder and Blood, and I don't see them tooling up a bunch more Stormcast and Nurgle models as push-fit miniatures.

I agree and more choices are always good. Especially if it's a two army set

7 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

When I went in GW recently the fella was saying that due to Dark Imperium's success, they will likely adopt the same sales model for AoS; a £95, £50 and £25 boxed set. The former will likely contain a General's Handbook-esque tome in it, a long with two armies.

Perhaps this is it? It's a different beast now, AoS, so hopefully this is a reboot to draw some new blood into what is becoming an increasingly better supported and enjoyable game!

GW already planned this prior to 40k (Storm of Sigmar and Thunder & Blood)

6 hours ago, Davariel said:

I find it really interesting that this sounds like a Nurgle focused campaign/story/supplement. Nurgle's role in the story so far hasn't exactly seen him win a lot of victories - mostly his forces have been a punching bag for the Stormcasts (and later Sylvaneth). Would have expected Tzeentch to get the spotlight next after Silver Tower and the Disciples release! This could suggest a reversal of fortune for the rotbringers, which is not a development I was expecting...

Anyway, I'm sure my Sylvaneth will be raring to show their old foes the folly of their ways :D

There's part of me that says that Nurgle hasn't really been trying and simply letting his children get on with their own agendas.  He achieved great things during The End Times and could well be dozing.  This is actually reflected in the game rules a bit, where a combined Nurgle force is a bit of a mish-mash.  I wonder if with the introduction of his first-born we may see them as a force becomes more harmonised with common goals and more synergy between the various units?

8 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Personally, I'm hoping its a new starter set with cool models to go with a new story. I'm hoping that the Snail rider is not just a hero and a unit of monster riders but we will see :D 

We would be so lucky! Although I think it would be hilariously Monty Python-esque as they would never reach the enemy as they slip and spurp across the battlefield, never seemingly getting any closer :P

7 hours ago, someone2040 said:

I wonder if it'll be more akin to those boxed sets we saw in 40k a few years back.

Think it was like 'Shield of Baal' where they had Tyranids vs Blood Angels in a boxed set and released a few campaign supplements for it. The boxed set basically had kits from the current range + special character for both sides thrown in.

That's what I'd expect in terms of the kits/models. Then we'll probably get a Nurgle Battletome and a narrative book to go along with it.

This does reek of Shield of Baal really doesn't it. Given the models that were shown, the quantity etc. Will probably end up being a limited run 'Starter/campaign' type box that things like Stormclaw was too.

10 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

I think it's a series of new Campaign books and obviously new models. Most probably the Pox-Walkers from 40k come with weapon options for AoS, kind of like the Tzangors.

A lot of the poxwalkers have very obvious sci-fi equipment and clothing on their bodies. It's not the same as the tzaangors which can just have different weapon options for 40K and AoS. Poxwalkers would need a completely different kit, not just an alternative weapon sprue. It seems unlikely that GW would plan the kit that badly if they wanted to introduce poxwalkers into AoS. 

9 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

When I went in GW recently the fella was saying that due to Dark Imperium's success, they will likely adopt the same sales model for AoS; a £95, £50 and £25 boxed set.

They've already done this with the Thunder & Blood and Storm of Sigmar sets.

I agree with those saying that this seems to be the next chapter of the narrative that started with The Realmgate Wars. I'd be surprised if it lasts for 2 years like RGW did given that it's focusing on the minions of just one Chaos god who only seems to be active in just one or two of the realms, but who knows. For those who were hoping that the next arc would lead towards new aelves and Slaanesh, it's not looking very likely is it? Nurgle isn't the natural enemy of the aelves or the natural ally of Slaanesh.

2 minutes ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I agree with those saying that this seems to be the next chapter of the narrative that started with The Realmgate Wars. I'd be surprised if it lasts for 2 years like RGW did given that it's focusing on the minions of just one Chaos god who only seems to be active in just one or two of the realms, but who knows. For those who were hoping that the next arc would lead towards new aelves and Slaanesh, it's not looking very likely is it? Nurgle isn't the natural enemy of the aelves or the natural ally of Slaanesh.

Completely agree, one of the general comments about RGW was that it was difficult to pick up in the middle, so a shorter campaign would make a lot more sense.

There's nothing stopping having more than one story-arc running though (we've just never really seen it).  We know we've got a continuation of Seasons of War coming so we could see Blightwars being a shorter run to bring Nurgle back up to level and then a summer campaign next year with Aelves & Slaanesh?

Who know!  I'm loving that GW can still produce surprises like a magician producing something out of a hat! (is it a rabbit, bird, multi-tentacled beast?)

Based on the models seen in the video, it would seem likely that it will be a box to kick off the start of the new narrative arc, potentially with a link to the new city based army boxes. Correct me if I'm wrong but the video shows:

2x new characters - nurgle and stormcast assassin

10 Plague bearers

3 Plague Drones

10 Vanguard Hunters

It would fit into the style of the old 40k boxes, ala Stormclaw and Leviathan. 

I'd love to see it as a boardgame style box, like the recent Commoragh box, but given we havent seen any card scenery or board tiles its probably a narrative box with 3-4 scenarios. Looking forward to seeing the narrative behind this - Sigmar moving towards more clandestine operatives is an interesting darker shift!

imho is a starter set like the one with khorne and stormcast.

it has to be related with the gh17 and since the last set is pretty old and outdated. they released recently bloodsecretor, khul and vandus in a way  that they can stop producing it. 

this also means an analogy with 40k and since the two games are related and the new 40k set is dark imperium, i am expecting blight war to be a starter set.

4 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

it has to be related with the gh17 and since the last set is pretty old and outdated. they released recently slaughterpriest, khul and vandus in a way  that they can stop producing it.

That's a good point actually - does this mean we might see the current starter set retired and them finally release the remaining missing models?

Archived