Speed painting - need help!

Kosmion

yo!

im considering starting a brayherds/warherds army, and ill be damned if i dont figure out the fastest way possible to paint those 100ish gors/ungors/bestigors to a decent standard...
i saw a video where a guy painted Orks using basically only washes. Think it was waywatcher green for the skin, and it looked really good! The goal i want to achieve is to be able to paint the same area 1-2 times maximum. or even just wash it once, if the undercoat is white.
so any ideas for washes or layer paints that wont require highlights after shading?

thanks!

Drybrushing would be your friend for a quick tabletop standard. They're typically a base brownish tone.

Options from GW sprays include:
Mournfang Brown
Rhinox Hide
Stormvermin Fur

Combined with a wash, a drybrush hilight and some drybrush for fur.... you're mostly there.

Take a look at how Hobby Hammer did theirs. :)

http://www.hobbyhammer.com/2017/07/how-i-paint-series-brayherd-ungors.html?m=1

I've seen the ork video.  However, I would recommend thinning your paints to glazes instead of using shades.  If you go this route, prime with a zentihal.  This will create natural shades and highlights.  Then thin your paints more than normal and use some glaze medium.

Another alternative is the dip method.  Pick a good main color spray (Army Painter Barbarian Flesh, Leather Brown, or Fur Brown).  Add some details to the fur, hooves/horns, metals, etc.  Then use the Quickshade (probably Strong Tone).  Brush it on, don't actually dip the model.  Do them in small batches and after you've brushed on 5 models, go back and gather up the excess so it doesn't pool.  Allow to dry for 24 hours, depending on the humidity, and then spray with a matt varnish (it may take two coats).

1 hour ago, Redking said:

I've seen the ork video.  However, I would recommend thinning your paints to glazes instead of using shades.  If you go this route, prime with a zentihal.  This will create natural shades and highlights.  Then thin your paints more than normal and use some glaze medium.

Another alternative is the dip method.  Pick a good main color spray (Army Painter Barbarian Flesh, Leather Brown, or Fur Brown).  Add some details to the fur, hooves/horns, metals, etc.  Then use the Quickshade (probably Strong Tone).  Brush it on, don't actually dip the model.  Do them in small batches and after you've brushed on 5 models, go back and gather up the excess so it doesn't pool.  Allow to dry for 24 hours, depending on the humidity, and then spray with a matt varnish (it may take two coats).

Seconding this - dips looks very good on organic horde armies. Look up Sorastro's Black Plague videos on YouTube. He offers a very good tutorial on the process.

As others and yourself have said, when speed painting beastmen there are several strategies which you could use; paint with glazes/washes, use "dip" and dry brushing (or a combination thereof!).

My advice would be to try a test with each method, and judge the quality vs time spent for yourself.

If using dip/all over brown wash, the choice of base coat colours is key - red, brass, iron and to some extent yellow and cream work well with this technique. Colours like blue, less so. 

@Mengel Miniatures has a post on his own blog site which describes painting a silver tower Skaven with GW shade paints - a lot of that would be applicable to beastmen, so I'd recommend giving that a read (actually, I'd recommend reading all of his blog!)

Good luck, and please post some of your models as you go. 

MGP

Do this:

Prime black.
Zenithal prime 45 degree angle with your choice of medium brown.
Zenithal top down with your choice of ligh brown. 
(you can use rattlecans for this, or aribrush for the smoothest)

Wash with reikland fleshshade all over.  (Maybe twice)(mengel has a good image of this working on skaven)

Drybrush the skin or highlight using a fleshtone (maybe cadian or kislev, depending on shades of previous colors).
Sometimes spending a few strokes on the cheeks and eyebrows instead of a drybrush can help increase the quality.

Select 3-4 colors for your details (I would guess a metal, a bone, and a wood, plus another single stark color of your choice that connects the whole army, I would use red) and knock out those details.

On my orruks painted with washes, I washed the whole model with a watered down agrax to bring it all together.  I did this before picking out the teeth and eyes with white.  I ended up about 15 min per model, not including basing.

Spray Brown (I use Halfords Camouflage Matte Brown)
Drybrush  - Fur with Terminatus Stone, 
                 - Skin with Gorthor Brown 
                 - Wood with Sylvaneth Bark

Paint Horns Zandri Dust, Paint Skulls and teeth Ushabti Bone, Ropes with Rakarth, Brass plates with Balthazaar, Cloth with spot colour of your choice and Metal with Leadbelcher...

Wash whole mini with Agrax. 

IMG_3026.jpg.580956d61b5abd2d68f506a34c68e656.jpg

Result.. 

Painted 50 Ungor in 2 nights using this technique. 

On 14/08/2017 at 6:05 PM, TheOtherJosh said:

Thanks for plug Josh! Yes this may help you a bit. 

Archived