How bad is it(Update)

Eonx_

2 minutes ago, Eonx_ said:

I think I have used the incorrect colors. The white seems like it doesn't belong. 

Maybe basing the white area in blue and then highlighting it with white would have given an effect you're going for, kinda like the stars on the flag.

Currently, the white is heavy yes, but it's early in the process for me to judge otherwise. Base coats on an unfinished model often don't look great. I think the colour scheme is cool and promising.

A shade and highlight to the white will also help.  If you go blue, you could shade it with Drakenhoff Nightshade (dark) or Guilliman Blue (bright).  You could also create a shade with Celestra Grey for a cooler tone.  The reapply White Scar in a couple of thin layers.  You could also paint the belt buckle white to break up the red.  I think a red helmet with blue tassel would look good.

A brighter edge highlight will also help the miniature stand out.

Okay, I know that this model isn't a blood angel tactical marine. But it is a solid painting tutorial on painting red armor.

You have base colors, and a wash (it looks like) so you need to brighten up your colors via hilights.

I'd recommend doing the face mask in gold would be a solid contrast.

Take a look at the video and that should help move you in a good direction for painting your model. :)

Not bad for a start.  Just keep at it and you'll keep getting better.  There are a lot of tutorials for red armor and I highly recommend watching the Duncan videos on Warhammer TV.  He provides a lot of useful tips.  Even though they are not the exact colors, check out the Age of Sigmar videos.  They are intended for new hobbyists.  The Blood Angels one from above is also very good for what you are trying to achieve.

Learning process man. Not bad at all for being new to painting. Next one will look better and soon enough you'll find your groove in how you like to do models, what colours go together, how to tackle certain parts, etc. As with anything, finding out what doesn't work helps as much as finding out what does.

I think the blue and red shoulder and leg dress thing (not sure of name for that part) look the best on the model. The gold pops nicely on the blue. Keep it up!

I think you could get your desired effect if you changed a bit which parts where white. I think the eagle head Pauldron is to prominent a piece to be white. The other pauldron with the hammer could be white instead along with the plume. Then paint the eagle pouldron blue. You could also try with only the liverie being painted white...

White in this color scheme is what is called your "spot color": a color which stands out from the rest and is best used on smaller parts of the model   

But I recommend you leave this one as it is and paint another model with the switched around colorscheme and see which one you like best. 

Archived