The Defenders of Colarcanium

TalesOfSigmar

So I thought I’d dabble in doing an army diary in the same vein as the fantastic threads ran by @Chris Tomlin @HobbyHammer and @Paul Buckler with a new project I’m looking forward to doing.

The plan is to have a full blown Devoted of Sigmar army but then using the new allies or generic Order Allegiance to add in extra units to represent certain elements of the City of Colarcanium such as the Collegiate Arcane and Stormcast factions.

I’ll be honest I don’t see this army being competitive at all (despite a few at the club saying it has potential). This army is mainly a lead up to the Rise of Empires: Border Wars narrative event in February but I’m looking at taking it to a few Matched Play Tournaments in the upcoming months just to have a laugh and try something different on the table.

At the moment the army is solely focusing on the Devoted of Sigmar and is going to be looking like this;

dos.jpg.710928217f33f0b54962e44cc7a7a6b2.jpg

At the moment I’m putting together the first 70 Flagellants which I'll hopefully have the majority done by the end of this weekend. Thankfully, despite their age, the flagellant models are really nice sculpts and they’re a dream to put together. I’ve already got one War Altar built after purchasing it from @Jimbo and I’ve just picked up another one this week after it finally came back into stock at Games Workshop!

I’ve salvaged two unpainted Warrior Priests from my 8th Edition Empire days that I’ll be using and need to pick up a Witch Hunter at some point.

Looking forward to running something different, and hopefully something fun. Fingers crossed they don’t get changed too much in General’s Handbook 2017.

49 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

When will they see the battlefield?

I've got 1,500pts of Devoted that I'm excited to have a run with soon. I only have 90 flaggelants but I have a few more Warriors Priests than this list. 

There's a local tournament in two weeks time where you don't need painted models. If I push myself I might be able to get it on the tabletop all built for then though that might be pushing it.

I'm aiming to get the full 2000pts painted to a tabletop standard for Facehammer at the very end of September hopefully.

14 hours ago, AlphaKennyThing said:

I would love to play you in a fluffy match against my planned Marauder horde! It'd be an epic and very cinematic battle.

That would be amazing, a whole lot of dice being rolled and not much dying haha!

23 hours ago, Davariel said:

I have tremendous respect for anyone willing to build and paint that many flagellants O.o

Any conversion plans to add some variety to such a massive horde?

I've got a few ideas, want to get the majority of the army built first but thinking of some "unit fillers" of four Flagellants carrying a statue of a stormcast into battle and things like that.

With allies coming soon, I think that Freeguild would be a great addition and if painted similarly to the priests, would also support the theme well.

I've been really interested in Devoted myself but can't imagine more doing more than a couple of units of flaggellants.  The new hordes rules will apply to flaggellants I imagine.  Will be following with interest!

No interest in the Excelsior Warpriest and Gryphon-hound?

15 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

With allies coming soon, I think that Freeguild would be a great addition and if painted similarly to the priests, would also support the theme well.

I've been really interested in Devoted myself but can't imagine more doing more than a couple of units of flaggellants.  The new hordes rules will apply to flaggellants I imagine.  Will be following with interest!

No interest in the Excelsior Warpriest and Gryphon-hound?

Yeah I've looked into Freeguild to give me some ranged support though I'm not a fan of the 'fantasy empire' models. I'm considering converting some models up using the Flagellants still as the base model and then adding whatever weapons I need.

I've considered the Excelsior but his prayer isn't the best compared to a normal warrior priests who have the same healing prayer and then some proper buff prayers for the flagellants. If I take a Gryph-Hound with him it breaks allegiance too if I didn't want to utilise the allies.

So a small update. My ambition of getting the first 70 built over last weekend was probably a bit too ambitious, I've spent the last week digging my whole back garden out so building time has been limited.

So far I've got 40 Flagellants and the first War Alter built. I've also sprayed 10 just to do some test schemes on. With 140 men I need a quick and easy scheme that'll work well on mass troops and still look effective on the table. So multiple washes on a Khaki primer is my plan.

Still got a couple of highlights and the basing to do but this is what I'm looking at achieveing.

5996abfcecd83_2017-08-1214_32_08.jpg.a3044bd4b6dc40286a9c9e3f048c8678.jpg

Oh man, wish I had the bottle and stamina for something like this because Flagellants like you say are still really good, charecterful sculpts. The test model looks fantastic. Any plans for an accent colours at all on the random items they carry/wear?

39 minutes ago, HobbyHammer said:

Looks Luvveerrllyy!

Cheers mate!

28 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

Oh man, wish I had the bottle and stamina for something like this because Flagellants like you say are still really good, charecterful sculpts. The test model looks fantastic. Any plans for an accent colours at all on the random items they carry/wear?

Thank mate. The first batch of models I've left off alot of the extra bits off them. I think I'll do half with all the extra chains and pendants and then half without. In regards to a colour I've not thought about it to be honest, I've got the red on their rags and the Warrior Priests will be in red robes. But apart from that I'm not too sure.

Just now, Thor said:

Man. I hope flaggelents gets the massive regiments discount

I'd expect they will and hoping they do!

I'm expecting most Battleline units (whether generic or Battleline-If...) will get it.

In the preview both Clanrats and Stormvermin get it for the Verminus allegiance.

3 minutes ago, TalesOfSigmar said:

I'd expect they will and hoping they do!

I'm expecting most Battleline units (whether generic or Battleline-If...) will get it.

In the preview both Clanrats and Stormvermin get it for the Verminus allegiance.

.I play stormcast so i wont get my hopes up. As the previewed judicators dont have the rule. I think your list is cool. I hope you find success.

Hopefully the lesset popular factions wont be forgotten.

Working on flagellants for #hollyhavoc with a solder feel to them. Like "we survived chaos, but at what cost"
Just a thought since you're building so many. Maybe throw a zombie kit in the mix. That's a great kit if you're not making zombies.
[emoji1365]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived