The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

Some nice news for the fans from War of Sigmar.

Howdy Guys and Girls :)

Some Shadespire dates via Warhammer Community:

"You’ll be able to pre-order the Shadespire core set on the 14th of October. This boxed set contains everything you need to get stuck into fast-paced arena combat with your friends. Easy-to-build miniatures, quick-start rules and easy set up means you’ll be able to get playing straight out of the box, while the advanced rulebook is full of new ways to play. As well as two complete warbands, there are also two power decks, as well as a number of cards you can use to build and customise powerful decks of your own. You’ll be able to pick these up in store on the 21st of October.

The Sepulchral Guard and Ironskull’s Boyz will be available to pre-order on October the 28th with a release on the 4th of November. Each of these sets contains a new warband for the game, as well as 60 cards unique to the set. There’s something in each expansion for every warband, with cards in each set that can be used by anyone – you’ll want to pick up both to make sure you have the most tactical options when building your deck."

More Shadespire stuff is on the way next year - what factions do you want to see?

Regards, 
Lady Atia

and clear lore from War of Sigmar aswell :) 

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2445

Edited by Killax

Sounds very reasonable to me! Even if it ends up €25 like the Blood Bowl Teams Im okay with it, would be a tad expensive if your only in it for the models but the decks do contain new build options for every crew.

In addition I also think this game could have a very interesting double Warband concept for far future competative play. With this acting as a sideboard or generally allowing us to have all kinds of strategies.

While very much a thought of my own, I would not be suprised to see another starterbox with Death vs Destruction in the future if the game is a succes. This would also, all things considered, give every 'grand allegiance' at least 2 crews. 

I actually think a second starter set down the line is a great idea, gives the option of getting into the game without necessarily getting the Stormcast or Khorne.

In in terms of multiple warbands, setting up the game it says the first thing you do is choose your warband. Now I think some events will (and should) limit entrants to 1 or 2 warbands as there could be a definite advantage to knowing your opponent only has Orrucks when you have a choice of warbands against them. On the other hand I hope there are also events that don’t be limit anything.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, childoffang said:

I actually think a second starter set down the line is a great idea, gives the option of getting into the game without necessarily getting the Stormcast or Khorne.

Second starter set incoming: Stormcast Vanguard v Khorne Blood Warriors....

Boy I hope the Stormcast get a gryphound to face off against a khorne dog

????

• Haha 2

It's a little disappointing that you need a second core set for 3/4 player games. Space is important and most players will surely pick up the main box for the deck, I get the rationale, particularly if they're into it competitively.  But I was looking forward to getting the core set + skellies and throwing it down in front of more casual 'non-GW' gaming friends, as part of a board games night. Play a few rounds between Coup and Pandemic, that sort of thing.

I guess photocopying the board is always an option, maybe paste it to some heavy card and laminate?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

It's a little disappointing that you need a second core set for 3/4 player games. Space is important and most players will surely pick up the main box for the deck, I get the rationale, particularly if they're into it competitively.  But I was looking forward to getting the core set + skellies and throwing it down in front of more casual 'non-GW' gaming friends, as part of a board games night. Play a few rounds between Coup and Pandemic, that sort of thing.

I guess photocopying the board is always an option, maybe paste it to some heavy card and laminate?

I would imagine there will be people selling boards, cards, etc on eBay as well. It's clear they want anyone who wants to get into it to buy the core box regardless of whether they like Stormcast/Khorne or not, but people will buy it for their own reasons. 

Also we might see boards as separate releases in the future like they did with Blood Bowl mats.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I am in the same boat, I was planning to run this with regular board game night.

Looks like I will have to hold off introducing it to the gang until they release extra ‘pitches’ like blood bowl. I don’t want to buy the same set twice, if they put the Orks and Undead in another starter set I would get that to give me 3-4 player options.

21 hours ago, Requizen said:

I would imagine there will be people selling boards, cards, etc on eBay as well. It's clear they want anyone who wants to get into it to buy the core box regardless of whether they like Stormcast/Khorne or not, but people will buy it for their own reasons. 

Also we might see boards as separate releases in the future like they did with Blood Bowl mats.

I think the goal is to release new boards later separately (as Bloodbowl like you say). They are smaller and can be sold easier I would think.

18 minutes ago, Rhellion said:

I think the goal is to release new boards later separately (as Bloodbowl like you say). They are smaller and can be sold easier I would think.

Yup. I see this being one part of the Warhammer Underworlds game which will shift to different areas bit like how Magic the Gathering does with each major release. This means that they can theme the models for that release and we get to see cool stuff we might never ever have seen in the past. I'm expecting Shadespire to be for 12 months and then we see the next Underworlds release but the games can all work with each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That would be my exact expectation too, which is why I'm still very much excited.

In order to increase board clearity in objective locations and unpassable positions I also hope will eventually see tokens/board pieces for that. A pile of rubble in a hexagon shape would go a long way in really increasing board oversight while also adding slightly more interesting elements. 

In addition a full gameplay (very clear) gameplay explanation has been out and shared aswell, as before, I'm loving this game more with the second. The base rules are very simple, the complexity of play steps can be really high. 

Cheers,

Games Workshop's pre-order list has also confirmed they will be making sleeves for the initial two Warbands aswell.
My best guess is that they will do this for every Warband but I will also not be suprised if they'd alter the concept to a more Order, Chaos, Destruction and Death cardsleeve design (simply because it allows for multi-use and a lot of cards in decks allow for this within their own 'kind' e.g. Khorne cards or Stormcast cards).

The price of the Warhammer Underworld : Shadespire sleeves is $8, quantity of sleeves is unknown. We have confirmation for Steelheart's and Garrek's Warband card sleeves.

Cheers,

If I'd had to thake a guess what the cards will look like I'd reckon it would be these symbols on a "stone Shadespire" backdrop:

FactionRing_Stormcast.png

FactionRing_Khorne.pngFactionRing_Ironjawz.pngFactionRing_Deathrattle.png
[/spoiler]
For those who can't wait for these sleeves I'd also like to point out that Fantasy Flight Games has made sleeves in the past for their board/card games that match Games Workshop art. E.g. from Conquest LCG and Warhammer:

Bloodletter/Khorne: (Conquest lcg)
GWS10_chaos-daemon-sleeve.jpg
Slaves to Darkness Chaos: (Warhammer Invasion)
 exalted-champion-214x300.png

Chaos: (Warhammer Invasion)
mark-of-chaos-214x300.png

Empire/Free People: (Warhammer Invasion)
ghal-maraz-214x300.png

Edited by Killax

14 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

What/why are there 'full art' cards? Besides aesthetic...any reason to own them? 

Also, why would I pre-order this? Is there a pre-order special? These cards?

The Art Cards are alternative artwork cards that are being given to attendees of the first public Shadespire event in the UK. You don't need them but they are a nice little bonus for attending the event. 

As for Pre-ordering, it's all down to you. You get nothing special for it but it's always nice to have something on release day and sometimes you might get it through early.