The Shadespire News and Rumour Thread

Gaz Taylor

With an objective deck you take a HUGE risk even before the start of the first round...
Do you get lucky and get three objectives or are you basically f***ed for the entire game with only 2 objectives.

Also you risk starting with 5 and 1 (or 3), making even more of your objectives useless. Even if you are lucky and start with three objewctives, it could be 1, 3 and 5.
Bye bye keys. Bye bye Tactical Supremacies. 

In my opinion Hold Objectives decks needed a boost if anything - not a hard counter.

1 hour ago, Goblin-King said:

In my opinion Hold Objectives decks needed a boost if anything - not a hard counter.

I agree that at the moment they seem to be a little too dependant on getting three objectives on their board.

Maybe an objective card along the lines of "Hold all objectives in your territory (at least two)." could help?
A ploy or upgrade that would let you teleport to a random objective in your opponent's territory (or something like that) could also be interesting.

Although I suspect Skaven will play the objective holding game just fine.

3 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

A ploy or upgrade that would let you teleport to a random objective in your opponent's territory (or something like that) could also be interesting.

Oh oh oh! Roll off with your opponent --> winner chooses the unheld objective in the opponent's territory that the fighter teleports to :)

1 hour ago, Goblin-King said:

With an objective deck you take a HUGE risk even before the start of the first round...
Do you get lucky and get three objectives or are you basically f***ed for the entire game with only 2 objectives.

Also you risk starting with 5 and 1 (or 3), making even more of your objectives useless. Even if you are lucky and start with three objewctives, it could be 1, 3 and 5.
Bye bye keys. Bye bye Tactical Supremacies. 

Yep, Shardercaller may not be the only one of his kind (why not a ploy doing the same thing, switching 2 objectives?).

And i agree that Skavens, with speed 5, resurrection in enemy territory, seems to me more able to play holding objective than the Sepulchral Guard. 

And let's be honest here - while Shardcaller has great potential it's a very balanced card.

1. You need to actually draw it in time to benefit from it.
2. At best it can trigger twice per game.
3. You need to actually have a specific guy standing on an objective (a condition easy to disrupt)
4. To benefit a second time, your guy needs to move to a different objective. Assuming you are wanting two specific objectives (2 & 4?)

You reap great rewards, but by golly you need to put a lot of effort into it. 
I agree with Hesa_FirstEarthquake seems like it casually destroys a whole lot of careful planning way to easy.
I hope we see a lot of cards that benefit different playstyles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goblin-King said:

Earthquake seems like it casually destroys a whole lot of careful planning way to easy

Yes. Too easy.  I'm not looking forward to this card. 

In general,  I find Shadespire to lean away from plans that take thought and multiple components and toward plans that reward seizing opportunities as they are presented. Have a deck that is an all around useful set of cards without depending on any one or two cards. Capitalize on mistakes such as fighters being isolated. 

It's,  again,  why Orruks are so good - no need for a kunnin plan.

(That said,  I did beat them 5 out of 8 games with undead yesterday. )

Edited by Sleboda

Apparently we’ve bought more shadespire in the UK than in the US, but GW are doing more events etc in the US and not over here. It’s a shame really. 

Shadespire is set to be mail order only from GW and GW managers have been told not to run shadespire events in store and to leave it to other places to do the organised play etc. It’s just funny that it took them ages to get the organised play stuff to stores, as locally we seem to have lost loads of competitive players as they’ve had nothing to win over the past few months.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:23 AM, Changer said:

Apparently we’ve bought more shadespire in the UK than in the US, but GW are doing more events etc in the US and not over here. It’s a shame really. 

Shadespire is set to be mail order only from GW and GW managers have been told not to run shadespire events in store and to leave it to other places to do the organised play etc. It’s just funny that it took them ages to get the organised play stuff to stores, as locally we seem to have lost loads of competitive players as they’ve had nothing to win over the past few months.

My understanding after talking to one of my GW store managers on Sunday was that GW have been told they're not allowed to run Organized Play events.

I guess there are a few reasons why this may be the case:

1. In general Games Workshops are not set up with an adequate amount of space to run these kind of events (Need demo table, other tables generally have non-flat Realm of Battle boards on them. No seating around gaming tables, etc).

2. They may wish to promote the games at Independents to establish a more healthier relationship with them. Have GW sell stuff (or the independents) and then push them over to the Independents for tournaments. 

3. There may be some caution given the limited space to run tournaments at GWs that it basically just becomes the Store Manager giving their live in mates free stuff.

I think 1 though is a particularly good point. Card game shops are more adequately equip to run Shadespire tournaments, as they've got far more space and tables available. That being said, why run a Shadespire event when you can just force more Magic or some other card game with boosters down some kids throat? I've played in my local card game shop a few times now and nobodies really even been remotely interested in what we're doing. I guess you probably need to hit some kind of critical mass of getting people to play something somewhere to get others interested.

Overall though, it's a real shame. Because the GW's stores in my area seem to be the only ones really interested in running anything, yet they can't really do much either because they can't get the organized play packs.

I believe the main reason for not doing organised play events in GW stores in mainly due to the lack of continuous spending Shadespire generates.  Even now, once you've bought the main set and all four expanion warbands you're still only looking at £110.  Ok, you can buy some dice and card sleeves etc, but that's still not an awful lot of money, and with the speed warbands are being released you're not likely to bring in the repeat custom GW thrive on.  Instead if a GW store focuses on AoS or 40k, their customers are (generally) continuously buying more and more products to expand their armies, start new forces etc...  This type of revenue just isn't brought in by Shadespire.

Yeah I got the feeling that GW were trying to link Shadespire more to independents who have the capacity to run OP events, but it does make me worry for the future of the game. Primarily because it doesn't feel like they have a great handle on where they want to go with it, which it really needs.  For example I think it's safe to assume that the next two warbands will be out quarter 2 2018, so when that happens if a new player wants to take up the game competitively they will need to fork out for the game and six expansions.  Individually these are very good value but I would say that's about the point where they buy in starts to become unwieldy.  So what happens at the end of the 'shadespire' season?  Will cards begin to be phased out? If not it's going to get out of hand very quickly.  I think probably the best thing GW could do for OP is allow all warband specific cards, and then only cards from the latest 'season', which would mean the max buy in for a new player taking on one warband would be a base game and 7 expansions (assuming 6 expansions per 'season'.

I understand there is a huge amount of assumption and extrapolation in this post, and this probably isn't the place for it, just something I've been thinking about.

So the impression I got from a local store owner is that Organized Play is really only being pushed in the States at first, potentially to be hyped later in other regions if it goes well. Maybe it has something to do with US players being more competitive focused (wonder what sales/playtime is like in MtG in US vs UK), but that's just the rumor I've been handed.

At my local GW store he currently is doing a weekly league and then he told us he is going to be doing a tournament in the coming weeks. We have other LGS stores that are willing to run events too but only if they can get enough people. It seems when we play at either GW or the LGS a lot of people are watching and asking us what we are playing but I've seen very few actually pick up the game and try it out. 

• 3 weeks later...