Are these Forge World Models Worth it for Moonclan grots?

Congratz

Hey there :)

I want to expand my moonclan grots with some Forge World Monsters.

So i would like to know if these are worth it in a Moonclan list

Fimir Warriors with noble? They seem pretty okay. Great agaisnt ranged armies (Like Moonclan Grots) beecause of the +1 to save rolls. Otherwise kinda likee Ogors wich also works fine with grots as Hard hitters.

Bonegrinder Giant? I normaly don't run Giants but this one seems better then the normal giant. A nice ranged attack agaisnt (kinda unreliable) and 2 nice meele attacks.

Magmadragon? expensive as %!@# but really powerfull. Great against horde armies.

Dreadmaw? I don't run any Form for Goblin artillery so i guess this could replace the Spear Chukka because it can deal some nice damage agaisnt heroes.

Just because we talked about Artillery should i get some Goblin Artillery for my army and if so wich?

And btw i already usee Troll hag and Colossal Squig but 2 Colossal Squigs wouldn't hurt ;)

Have a great day

Not an expert on this but I did research extra units for my goblin army, at least theoretically. 

The consensus on artillary seems to be that either 2 divers or 2 spear throwers work best due to synergy (and choosing between them comes down to types of armies you are likely to play against)

For bigger monsters I looked into a whole bunch of stuff but picked rockgut trolls cos they look good :D (also good for soaking up wounds and having a nice high-rend ranged attack)

It looks likely that the giants will be 'allies' if keeping moonclan allegiance matters to you (hard to guess until we see what's in the handbook, all we know is that moonclan do not get an allegiance ability of their own). 

There are some cool looking forgeworld warboss models too! (a squig hopper, and a regular boss I think)

Here's where I used a bunch of Forgeworld dudes with Grots.

The Giant is meh.

The Rogue Idol is great fun - needs a cost reduction though.

The Magma Dragon is epic. Total wrecking ball with a long range and movement 16".

The Dread Maw is probably the best of the bunch as it's so tough and cannot be shot off before it pops up.

3 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Not an expert on this but I did research extra units for my goblin army, at least theoretically. 

The consensus on artillary seems to be that either 2 divers or 2 spear throwers work best due to synergy (and choosing between them comes down to types of armies you are likely to play against)

For bigger monsters I looked into a whole bunch of stuff but picked rockgut trolls cos they look good :D (also good for soaking up wounds and having a nice high-rend ranged attack)

It looks likely that the giants will be 'allies' if keeping moonclan allegiance matters to you (hard to guess until we see what's in the handbook, all we know is that moonclan do not get an allegiance ability of their own). 

There are some cool looking forgeworld warboss models too! (a squig hopper, and a regular boss I think)

I run Fellwater instead of Rockgut. Which Artillery would you pick?

2 hours ago, Nico said:

Here's where I used a bunch of Forgeworld dudes with Grots.

The Giant is meh.

The Rogue Idol is great fun - needs a cost reduction though.

The Magma Dragon is epic. Total wrecking ball with a long range and movement 16".

The Dread Maw is probably the best of the bunch as it's so tough and cannot be shot off before it pops up.

Any idea where i can get a Rouge Idol ?

Will prbly buy a Dread Maw or a Magma dragon, Fimir is just so cool tho 

59 minutes ago, bottle said:

Yeah the Rogue Idol will be at the next Forge World open day and for open purchase not too long after that. £65

You should also get the Warboss on Squig just because the model is so awesome!

When is this "Open day"?

19 minutes ago, Congratz said:

Where can't find it

Hmm....good question. I saw someone post this on /r/ageofsigmar on reddit and assumed it was also on the web store, but I guess not. My mistake.

I guess this is a leak?

3l3l3qxjnxez.jpg

3 hours ago, Trout said:

Hmm....good question. I saw someone post this on /r/ageofsigmar on reddit and assumed it was also on the web store, but I guess not. My mistake.

I guess this is a leak?

3l3l3qxjnxez.jpg

Was first revealed on warhammer tv last week. 

Fimir are amazing, I'm currently 12-0 with my Destruction army that uses a unit of 9 Fimir Warriors as general (including 5 games against international competition at 6 Nations and 5 in a local tournament here in Sweden which I won with the army). I wouldn't put it all down to the Fimir of course, but I'd say they are a really good addition to pretty much any Destruction army, since they are relatively fast, hit hard, have excellent rend and are quite durable for a low cost. Very, very good unit.

23 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Just a heads up. Tons of fake ones on eBay for super cheap. Wouldn't pay a lot for an eBay one.

If you want a legit one. Get it from forge World in a week or two.

What's the difference between a knockoff and an official in this case? How would you tell them apart?

I've seen some Rogue Idols in my days. Both original and good looking home made ones.

Original ones and knock-off are very similiar and can be hard to tell apart. It's a big, chunky (highly overpriced for what it is) model from decent resin with very simple sculpting. Not a lot of detail that requires cutting edge mold etc. Rule of thumb while buying Forld World stuff for 3rd party sites - ask if seller have a receipt. If not - it's probably a knock off.

But do yourself a favour, buy a new blade for hobby knife, few block of styrofoam and make yourself a way better one. If anything, the Rogue Idol is the the worst quality like FW model out there in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Trout said:

What's the difference between a knockoff and an official in this case? How would you tell them apart?

I assume they're pretty similar, my recast is very good quality.

I think its just real unlikely to find an unpainted one on ebay prior to the rerelease.

Pretty much any forge world model you can think of has recasts on ebay super cheap.

I think it would be pretty hard for someone to notice my one is a recast, esp after painting. Just make sure you don't pay a lot for it like it was the real thing.

I only got mine because it was unavailable at forge world and there was no sign of it coming back at the time. Remember as much as some people don't like gw, they do hire artists who make this stuff and it is their livelyhood, so I generally try to get all the stuff officially.

50 minutes ago, Riavan said:

I assume they're pretty similar, my recast is very good quality.

I think its just real unlikely to find an unpainted one on ebay prior to the rerelease.

Pretty much any forge world model you can think of has recasts on ebay super cheap.

I think it would be pretty hard for someone to notice my one is a recast, esp after painting. Just make sure you don't pay a lot for it like it was the real thing.

I only got mine because it was unavailable at forge world and there was no sign of it coming back at the time. Remember as much as some people don't like gw, they do hire artists who make this stuff and it is their livelyhood, so I generally try to get all the stuff officially.

If it's functionally identical, then I don't really care as long as we're talking about out of print items. I don't think it's unethical to purchase a knock-off of a product that is otherwise out of print.

Archived