Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

This year is going to be insane! 

I'm ready for you my Queen!!!:D

I'm ready for them to do something to fix witch aelves. Even in the discount box they're insanely overpriced. I'm hoping this goves me a good reason to expand my little Daughters army.

I'm ready to believe it's not butter...

But yes, having our main battleline we need hordes of to not be £35 per 10 would be lovely.

I'm hoping they'll do some fun stuff with the snake theme. Having a big monster version of a medusa would be great. And also my DoK may be heavy on the snake theme so it would be great for me to have more snake options...

56 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

I'm ready to believe it's not butter...

But yes, having our main battleline we need hordes of to not be £35 per 10 would be lovely.

I'm hoping they'll do some fun stuff with the snake theme. Having a big monster version of a medusa would be great. And also my DoK may be heavy on the snake theme so it would be great for me to have more snake options...

I hope they go more snake, less pron star with future medusae-esque things. If Morathi really is getting 2 models I'd want the centerpiece one to be as snake-y as possible.

...Come to think about it, we have giant: dragons, beatles, mammoths, minotaurs, birds, chimera, rats, skelepopes, and dinosaurs, but no giant snakes. They better get on that.

I doubt they will drop the price. Fyreslayers are £35 rrp too.

It does make it one of the more expensive armies to collect but it its a really nice kit so I can't say i'm that bothered really..

I think there will be new models added to the existing range but all the DoK models are quite new so I doubt they will re-work the aesthetic very heavily.  I think people are over estimating how much the style of the promo video will foreshadow the style of any new models. 

1 hour ago, Burf said:

I hope they go more snake, less pron star with future medusae-esque things. If Morathi really is getting 2 models I'd want the centerpiece one to be as snake-y as possible.

...Come to think about it, we have giant: dragons, beatles, mammoths, minotaurs, birds, chimera, rats, skelepopes, and dinosaurs, but no giant snakes. They better get on that.

Agreed. Armour that snake girl up! She needs a 4+ save with the amount of firepower she attracts.

But yes, giant snakes please GW. Give me my witch aelf thresher maw.

1 hour ago, The Traitor said:

Please please please let this be secretly a Cult of Slaanesh and not just Khaine... Morathi should stay loyal to her true master!

Didn't that same master eat her? I'm not familiar with WHFB or End Times lore but the video kinda states that slaanesh totally tried to eat her.

28 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I doubt they will drop the price. Fyreslayers are £35 rrp too.

It does make it one of the more expensive armies to collect but it its a really nice kit so I can't say i'm that bothered really..

I think there will be new models added to the existing range but all the DoK models are quite new so I doubt they will re-work the aesthetic very heavily.  I think people are over estimating how much the style of the promo video will foreshadow the style of any new models. 

Hopefully we might be able to get a start collecting box. That would be nice.

I'm super hoping for some greek hoplite witch elf spearwomen though.  Those would be hella cool. And possibly give us a unit with reach or some kinda toughness. I'd also like to see sisters of slaughter made a bit more elite tbh. They seem good on paper vs low rend guys but usually those will kill them with weight of attacks or they'll die to shooting.

Giant snake monsters would be good though, something with some rend and bite would be great for us. I wouldn't mind sylvaneth style of like only 2-3 extra kits tbh (heck those extra kits could easily be dual kits so like 1 new troop, 1 monster/hero and 1 foot hero could be super cool), some stuff to round out the faction a bit more would be nice. Possibly another type of hero and definitely a special character would be lovely.

Slaanesh wouldn't try t eat a follower for sure, he/she is a pretty nice guy/gal deep inside :P... Joking aside, maybe he/she did, so what? Morathi knew she would eventually have to pay the price for the power she had been given. I still have faith in Slaanesh getting something cool (at least lore-wise) because of this.

I'd heard that Slaanesh elf cults used to be a thing but got axed in like 7th ed of WFB? AoS is my first real venture into fantasy so I'm behind on fluff.

Did Morathi come out as a slaanesh worshipper in the end times?

Tbh being betrayed by slaanesh could be a super cool character development point sort of thing for an order focused Morathi, betrayed by slaanesh, looked down upon by sigmar and the other gods. It's no wonder she's so angry and wants to claw her way to the top so she can put the beatdown on everyone and prove herself the best ;)

Wonder how  much we can read into the video? 

Bloodwrack medusas heroes? perhaps we'll get medusas as a cavalry style  unit?
They don't look as big or powerful as the one shown on the bottom image. 

Sneks.jpg.1cf26b88ceb7c49eeae4d3422942e82d.jpg

And harpies, from the looks of the two people at the end of the top and bottom pattern. 
update for these old minis? or a re-envisioned mutated witch elf perhaps.

Harpies.png.1461f8b7a741d03016450a3e6d264d49.png

Well the only concrete thing I feel you should see into it is that there will be new Harpies for DoK. In addition I think it's also not too unlikely that Medusaes will be there as a monster unit. Then factor in some new heroes.

Biggest piece might actually be Morathi herself, being able to turn into a huge hydra or just comming with one :) I think this is the character displayed on the second picture.

Would be cool to have them change too, as a spell for example.

55 minutes ago, Killax said:

Biggest piece might actually be Morathi herself, being able to turn into a huge hydra or just comming with one :) I think this is the character displayed on the second picture.

Would be cool to have them change too, as a spell for example.

The second image is a very accurate representation of the current bloodwrack medusa (in terms of component features) - the others just appear to be unarmed/armored.

We might get a separate kit with some additional build options. I'm expecting bloodwrack stare to work differently for the infantry version then it does for the shrine version aswell.

I think the Morathi model will be quite a lot bigger - possibly with a part elf/part demonic face - a bit like the Yncarne in 40k.  The human form/ medusa form idea someone suggested would be awesome

It would be great if they would bring back dark Pegasus models as a support character or as a monstrous cav unit but I don't think that's likely.

The faction is really not missing too much - other than rules - a variety of characters is probably the biggest gap

Can only agree with that, thing is that I can forsee some new units, heroes and the like but much like Maggotkin, Blades of Khorne etc. I don't expect a full and massive overhaul. I also feel it isn't really needed either. If anything the Daughters of Khaine and Scourge Privateer models still look incredibly asome. Especially the witches are just much and much better on single un-ranked bases. The models are way too dynamic for a square base ;) 

I think that a double Hydra kit wouldn't be out of the question which indeed would also allow for a Hero build. We've seen it with Stormcast and Nurgle now too. 

The Morathi model could indeed be much bigger, I'm eager to read more about it. Greater Daemon size would indeed be ideal! A Dark Pegasus return would indeed be awesome but I think that the Harpies will have their hero too. At that point flying steeds would become a bit redundant I think? 

Battletomes so far have indeed spelled new rules and more often are paired with a lot of Heroes. But to be honest I can even see GW do something with a lot of the seperate pieces that come with the Blood Cauldron also. 

12 hours ago, Rid said:

Maybe they will turn the spare khaine statue you get with a bloodwrack shrine into a unit haha

Haha, that would be good fun. But on a serieus note, that does raise a good question. . The best releases so far are armies with a distinct playstyle. Sylvaneth with the woods, Bloodbound with the blood tithe points, Tzeentch with destiny dice, Kahadron with zeppelins, etc. Nurgle got the garden of Nurgle thing with the mutated tree (although I don't know how it will work in real life) Because of this precedent, I expect more of GW than a 'blood tithe' - like system for this new faction*

So I put it to you, what kind of playstyle 'gimmick' would make them special and make the fluff come to life? How much impact would the shadow realm have?

*if it's indeed dedicated to Khaine & Khaine is indeed a offshoot of Khorne. I always suspected Khaine was an specific facet of Slaanesh, the ecstasy of battle, rejuvenating your looks. When I started with WHFB they used to kind of suggest it was Khorne, but it was always: 'Some say that Khaine is actually Khorne'. So would be an amazing long game by GW if they just go, 'Khaine was Slaanesh all along and the only part of Slaanesh that survived. Bent on revenge on his former brothers, Khaine seeks the ecstasy of war, that only fighting on Sigmar's side can offer. Also if Order wins the grand war, he automatically is the best chaos god..' 

Khaine being Slaanesh would indeed be a very cool twist. I don't think we can speculate about which faction rules they'll get because they will most likely get a pretty important lore overhaul, however I think it would be pretty cool if they got a sacrifice dynamic, like get bonuses for dying or killing, though that might be too similar to Blood tithe, so maybe auto inflict mortal wounds for powers? Or even trade leadership for other things as Slaanesh devours their soul? It would be pretty cool to be able to summon Slaanesh daemons with them, I hope they delve into the "forbidden" stuff, it was a really cool characteristic of the old Dark Elfs that seems to be somehow gone now that they're part of the Order Grand Alliance... We want sacrifices and black magic back!

I doubt they will get some kind of Ynnari "Soulburst", there are two ways to go :

- some kind of movement rule for Shadow 

- some kind of bonuses for killing stuff 

but it could be something totally different and I hope it is - but having distinctive style of play is granted as almost every post Sylvaneth BT has it. 

I'm super stoked I have 40 plastic witches, 2 plastic hags, 1 metal hag and 30 metal witches still in boxes :D I hope there will be an use for some Sorceress as well as I have one metal one and DE Dragon kit in boxes as well :D so I guess it could be quite cheap to assemble huge army and to buy just new stuff ;)

Hah, it actually raises a kinda tricky issue; at the moment DoK are only really a vaguely competitive force thanks to the, ah, questionable legality of the stacking cauldron shields, so if they are given an updated scroll with more rigorous wording then the faction would need quite an overhaul in other areas to still work well.

It's hard to speculate on an allegiance ability without knowing which way they're taking the fluff, my best guess would be some sort of blood sacrifice thing where killing units empowers them, but that is basically just a less good Khorne trait, so probably not.

At the very least there will likely be a selection of new Prayers to choose from...

Edit: Better quality pictures.

Here's some screenshot from the video! Some great looking models. 

Wondering if the wings here are more for show, or will give her some greater movement? 

1.png.395d26d7da41fc85283c8723bf48a434.png

1.2.png.62ff6743b5143bb8c9781e1130d66345.png

Looks like there are two flavours of harpy? similar to the two flavours of witch elf?

2.png.b37fbadf11c9608f1aaa7280ba4f63c1.png

3.png.1aa8af4881cc9455528af9ea4be26733.png

Same perhaps with these Gorgon style ladies - some masked, some unmasked. close combat and ranged troops. 

4.png.183d52013b88b03d8a56f78ebd64d57a.png

5.png.261249e69f5a7c080e270191acca1e12.png

And then there's this big beauty - Morathi in her final form? 

6.png.5a1bf1ebdab4d571744543a7caecc52e.png

7.png.78847e11f73efd6a64f73913b51a370f.png

8.png.2904a93cabd2a6e5344fb379e15cf5ab.png

8.png.2904a93cabd2a6e5344fb379e15cf5ab.png

9.png.d3edcf01b7935faf43cd8abb44f74c8c.png

Also, the dragon in this one solves one of the rumour mill pictures

Screenshot_20180126-074337.png.8b811dd09348efd517c937e964ac0568.png

You gotta love this, I immidiatly ordered another blood coven box,  haha. 

I think this is the right way to treat old factions. Keep some stuff, add some new models that take a specific element up to 13, and keep the PR short and sweet. 

Of course it doesn't say anything about playstyle, but it's a very good move. It sadly does say we will be getting them after Death, but as far as I know, we haven't seen any new Death models right? Or a ETA on the Death update? Which feels a bit weird to me as the campaign part of Malign Portents starts 15 feb. 

Archived