Let's chat: Daughters of Khaine

Payce

Hey, new DoK player here, I'm finding the models an absolute nightmare to assemble, the sisters of slaughter whips seem to snap at the slightest provocation, anybody had much success in finding proxies, like bending wire or something?

Current collection...

20 Sisters, 2 currently broken. (14 unassembled)

1 Cauldron of Blood - mostly assembled, only needed 1 repair in the month i've owned it (the base column thing connecting the cauldron  to the chassis snapped) all the optional heroes are fine so far.

10 old metal Witch elves, from when I started a DE army 10+ years ago.

1 unopened box of Khinerai, I am bricking it over these, those tail stems look horrifically easy to break.

4 unopened Melusai boxes, I heard those blood sisters were handy.

If i have any more bother with the sisters 10 of the remaining 14 may become witches instead.

Presumably I'll need another 3-4 boxes  of witches to bulk those units out, and probably another cauldron. Should I then just spam purchase a load of warlocks and khinerai for a shadow patrol and a slaughter troupe?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of something along these lines, as a 2k starting off point before branching out into more khinerai and warlocks. But it would mean dealing with the assembly of another 44 SoS from where I currently am...

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
Hag Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (300)
- General
Slaughter Queen (100)

Battleline
30 x Sisters Of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives
20 x Sisters Of Slaughter (240)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
20 x Witch Aelves (200)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

Units
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

Battalions
Slaughter Troupe (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

2 hours ago, Khrae said:

I was thinking of something along these lines, as a 2k starting off point before branching out into more khinerai and warlocks. But it would mean dealing with the assembly of another 44 SoS from where I currently am...

Leaders
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
Hag Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (300)
- General
Slaughter Queen (100)

Battleline
20 x Sisters Of Slaughter (240)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
20 x Witch Aelves (200)

Units
20 x Blood Sisters (480)

Battalions
Slaughter Troupe (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 144

Make Slaughter Queen on Cauldron your general, and take a Hag Queen on foot.  Why take a unit of 20 Blood Sisters?  They don't really synergize with the battalion/setup very well.  I'd work on maxing out the contents of the Slaughter Troupe.

6 hours ago, The Traitor said:

@Olincay which temple are you playing? I would personally recommend Hagg Nar, but an argument could be made for Khailebron too. Also, since you're taking a battalion, you can take an additional artefact.

Hagg nar, totally forgot about the extra artifact! 

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
Hag Queen (60)
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
20 x Khinerai Heartrenders (320)
Slaughter Troupe (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 148

Something like that?

1 hour ago, Khrae said:
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
Hag Queen (60)
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
Slaughter Troupe (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 148

Something like that?

Yes, pretty brutal!  Only thing I may do would be to get a little bit more support, dropping a khinerai unit down to 5 or so, and nab a Medusa with Shadow Stone or Crystal Heart, and another Hag Queen for Witch Brew, and prayers are legit.   Possibly give the Sigil to the Slaughter Queen General so she can cast additional prayers.  Aim for Catechism of Murder, Blessing of Khaine, Martyr's Sacrifice, Sacrament of Blood.  Not an optimal list, and up to you how you build it, but if I went Hag Narr Slaughter Troupe, I'd go:

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Desciples 
- Artefact: Blood Sigil - Catechism of Murder 
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Martyr's Sacrifice
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Sacrament of Blood
Hag Queen (60)
- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- Artefact: Crystal Heart 
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
30 x Sisters Of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives
30 x Sisters Of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives
30 x Witch Aelves (270)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
10 x Khinerai Heartrenders (160)
10 x Khinerai Heartrenders (160)
Slaughter Troupe (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

A Witchbrew for every x 30 unit, and a variety of prayers so that your army will stay buffed.  Bloodwrack Shrine for spellcasting options and for Mindrazor Buff and Mortal Wound output/anti-horde if needed.  Deepstrike Khinerai.  I think this would be a 6 drop list, but that won't be as important in a few weeks time.  Martyr's Sacrifice on your sacrificial Witch Aelves with Bucklers will offer some mortal wound output, and your Sisters are going to be very mobile, being able to retreat, charge, and pile in 6", while being fully buffed.  With Catechism of Murder, Mindrazor, and Orgy of Slaughter, I'm thinking that many things will die.  Just keep your girls in range of the cauldron for the 5+ save, and pop BoK on what you want to survive.

9 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Make Slaughter Queen on Cauldron your general, and take a Hag Queen on foot.  Why take a unit of 20 Blood Sisters?  They don't really synergize with the battalion/setup very well.  I'd work on maxing out the contents of the Slaughter Troupe.

Personally, I don't think the battalion bonus is significant enough to push him to make decisions around it. I will say that no matter what direction he decides to go, a Slaughter cauldron is a great choice and he definitely need more hag queens.

Ultimately, I'd like to end up with a big enough army to try out lots of different permutations, that's months away though.

GW don't seem to be in any rush to release a separate Hag Queen model either. Hopefully I can find a steady trickle of blood covens online so I can get more witches while I collect Hag Queens.

Damn, Avatars of Khaine and Doomfire Warlocks are brutal. Played a 2k game against Seraphon last night. My opponent had Lord Kroak, a Trogg, a Razordon, a Skink Starpriest, 40 skinks, and a battalion of 3x10 Saurus Guard and a Sunblood, which gave all the Saurus Guard a 2+ save, plus they ignore -1 rend. They were really hard to deal with. I did eventually manage to take them all out with a combo of Doomfire mortal wounds, and Avatar on Foot, and my Cauldron of Blood, though I lost the Cauldron.

We played Scorched Earth. I made an early error by leaving one of my objectives unguarded, allowing him to teleport the Razordon there and burn the objective for 3 points. I was serverly behind behind all the way up to my turn 3/turn 4 double turn, in which I managed to outmanuver him and burn all his objectives. Hagg Nar rerolling all hits is soooo good. It's ridiculous.

I really wished I had taken Steed of Shadows over Mindrazor though. The -1 rend was mostly useless on my witch aelves, and it felt less than amazing on the Avatars. I think I need to be more strategic in what I take - Mindrazor is bad vs Seraphon, and not great vs undead, but is great against Ironjaws and Stormcast.

4 minutes ago, GammaMage said:

Damn, Avatars of Khaine and Doomfire Warlocks are brutal. Played a 2k game against Seraphon last night. My opponent had Lord Kroak, a Trogg, a Razordon, a Skink Starpriest, 40 skinks, and a battalion of 3x10 Saurus Guard and a Sunblood, which gave all the Saurus Guard a 2+ save, plus they ignore -1 rend. They were really hard to deal with. I did eventually manage to take them all out with a combo of Doomfire mortal wounds, and Avatar on Foot, and my Cauldron of Blood, though I lost the Cauldron.

We played Scorched Earth. I made an early error by leaving one of my objectives unguarded, allowing him to teleport the Razordon there and burn the objective for 3 points. I was serverly behind behind all the way up to my turn 3/turn 4 double turn, in which I managed to outmanuver him and burn all his objectives. Hagg Nar rerolling all hits is soooo good. It's ridiculous.

I really wished I had taken Steed of Shadows over Mindrazor though. The -1 rend was mostly useless on my witch aelves, and it felt less than amazing on the Avatars. I think I need to be more strategic in what I take - Mindrazor is bad vs Seraphon, and not great vs undead, but is great against Ironjaws and Stormcast.

Mindrazor still works on the Avatar since he gives the +1 to himself as well. Making him 11 Bravery vs. the 10 of the Seraphon. 

Or at least thats how I played it. Please correct me if im wrong...

35 minutes ago, Khrae said:

Ultimately, I'd like to end up with a big enough army to try out lots of different permutations, that's months away though.

GW don't seem to be in any rush to release a separate Hag Queen model either. Hopefully I can find a steady trickle of blood covens online so I can get more witches while I collect Hag Queens.

The Dark Elf Sorceress model matches the DoK aesthetic closely enough that she makes for a decent option for a Hag Queen, I guess you'd have to find a goblet from somewhere, or some sort of other suitably khainite artifact, so that people recognise she's not a sorceress.

13 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

The Dark Elf Sorceress model matches the DoK aesthetic closely enough that she makes for a decent option for a Hag Queen, I guess you'd have to find a goblet from somewhere, or some sort of other suitably khainite artifact, so that people recognise she's not a sorceress.

I suspect the blood angels goblet is going to be comically large for a witch elf, might be worth a look. I could always shove some green stuff in her hand and call it a heart.

On 5/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, GammaMage said:

I was going back and forth between  Bloodwrack Shrine or Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood as general - but with the new edition, I thought, why not have both? Bloodwrack Shrine as general, with SQoCB for her command ability. I reckon two of them near each other in a Hagg Nar army will be hard to deal with.

Not sure if anyone already mentioned this, but the Slaughter Queen on CoB has to be your general to use her command ability. This is the case for all heroes with unique command abilities in our faction - their abilities say "If this model is your general, it may blablabla...". So, the only way to Orgy of Slaughter is to use the Slaughter Queen as your general. Since the book was written with the new edition in mind, this is unlikely to change.

I suspect the blood angels goblet is going to be comically large for a witch elf, might be worth a look. I could always shove some green stuff in her hand and call it a heart.

There's a goblet in the Coven Throne kit which you can use for conversion.

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

There's a goblet in the Coven Throne kit which you can use for conversion.

There's also the melusai arm with a heart for the champ which might be useable, but thanks for heads up, it's a big old sprue the throne and I may not have spotted it.

8 hours ago, Solaris said:

Not sure if anyone already mentioned this, but the Slaughter Queen on CoB has to be your general to use her command ability. This is the case for all heroes with unique command abilities in our faction - their abilities say "If this model is your general, it may blablabla...". So, the only way to Orgy of Slaughter is to use the Slaughter Queen as your general. Since the book was written with the new edition in mind, this is unlikely to change.

Well that's completely silly. Why announce that in the new edition we can use all our heroes command abilities, and then go and word the latest hero warscrolls so that we can't? That is a rather confusing thing for them to go and do.

I’m not sure whether that will be true or not. But crucially, it looks like it’ll be 1 CP per command ability, and they’ve said you can use the same ability multiple times in a round. I’ll take Morathi as general if she can give every unit within 14” of her an extra hero phase pile-in by turn 3.

12 hours ago, GammaMage said:

Well that's completely silly. Why announce that in the new edition we can use all our heroes command abilities, and then go and word the latest hero warscrolls so that we can't? That is a rather confusing thing for them to go and do.

Yeah, I totally agree. I was excited that I would finally have a use for a Slaughter Queen on foot, and then I realized I still won't. FYI, it's the same with all of the heralds from Malign Portents.

11 hours ago, Selpharia said:

I’m not sure whether that will be true or not. But crucially, it looks like it’ll be 1 CP per command ability, and they’ve said you can use the same ability multiple times in a round. I’ll take Morathi as general if she can give every unit within 14” of her an extra hero phase pile-in by turn 3.

We'll see ? Yeah, I'm thinking the Slaughter Queen on Cauldron will be completely mandatory as general now.

5 hours ago, Solaris said:

Yeah, I totally agree. I was excited that I would finally have a use for a Slaughter Queen on foot, and then I realized I still won't. FYI, it's the same with all of the heralds from Malign Portents.

We'll see ? Yeah, I'm thinking the Slaughter Queen on Cauldron will be completely mandatory as general now.

For the most part, she was before anyways.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:57 AM, Solaris said:

Many command abilities  currently on warscrolls say "if this model is your general." One can only assume that phrase no longer applies in the new edition, considering ANY hero can use command abilities if you have the command points. That would be extremely restrictive and fly in the face of what they are trying to do in this new edition: make all heroes appealing to use.

31 minutes ago, DJMoose said:

Many command abilities  currently on warscrolls say "if this model is your general." One can only assume that phrase no longer applies in the new edition, considering ANY hero can use command abilities if you have the command points. That would be extremely restrictive and fly in the face of what they are trying to do in this new edition: make all heroes appealing to use.

I get the feeling some armies are designed for big command ability combos and some are not.  Both DoK and IDK sharethe restriction that the model using the command ability must be the general whereas maggotkin does not.  All three of these books claim to have been written with 2.0 in mind so I am assuming atm that the restrictions are intentional.

Archived