• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep I like it how many different armies can be made and be competitive :

- Horde army 

- Elite force with for example Temple test 

- heavy magic army

- MSU very mobile 

or you everything can be mixed, what I like the most is the fact that it doesn't seem to be one over the top combo. It's more about syngery between units and majority of those start when buidling an army with tough choice to take : temples, battalions, prayers because many things could work. There are great spells, great artifacts, great prayers but nothing is much better then other choices. 

On 19/03/2018 at 3:41 AM, Burf said:

Oh have you now? How did 20 in shadow hammer compact do against fyreslayers? Tzeentch? Stormcasts? Kharadron? What about seraphon or LoN or Nurgle? What about a unit of ten? What about 40 in Cauldron guard?

Or did you mean to say 'I played like 2 games with them and they're not for me.'?

Just a poke, but you could have said this in a much nicer way. Please try and think a bit more about this when posting

I still haven't played a game with Morathi - I think she is good but a lot of points in one place doesn't seem to suit my playstyle. 

The more I play Draichi Ganeth with Slaughter Troupe the more I like it. Hordes of witch elves are devastating - and buffed hordes of witch elves.. Well they make my Khorne army look a bit rubbish at fighting things...

The army takes lots of time per turn though :( moving 100+ models + continually retreating and charging them takes forever combined with a fair bit of dice rolling - even with move trays I think I might struggle with this list if time was a factor.

I'm going to give temple nest a run now the FAQ has confirmed the rules :) 

8 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I still haven't played a game with Morathi - I think she is good but a lot of points in one place doesn't seem to suit my playstyle. 

The more I play Draichi Ganeth with Slaughter Troupe the more I like it. Hordes of witch elves are devastating - and buffed hordes of witch elves.. Well they make my Khorne army look a bit rubbish at fighting things...

The army takes lots of time per turn though :( moving 100+ models + continually retreating and charging them takes forever combined with a fair bit of dice rolling - even with move trays I think I might struggle with this list if time was a factor.

I'm going to give temple nest a run now the FAQ has confirmed the rules :) 

Agreed... a buffed horde is extremely damaging.  30 Witch Elves with Mindrazor, Catechism of Murder, Witchbrew, rerolls... wow... it was dozens and dozens of -1 rend, 2dmg saves that they had to make.  

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

I have to say, after seeing Idoneth Deepkin I am even more glad that I chose DoK.  I mean, it would have been nice to get the breadth of model range that deepkin got, but Medusae and Harpies are way cooler than bald elves riding eels.  

ahh that is just the first sight. You judge a bit to fast there. Lets see the rules first and the first few really awesome paint Jobs. Those eels could be painted like chinese Dragons...

But nevertheless I am with you and will also work on my DoK army (first).

-----------

With which weapon Setup should the Sisters of Slaugher be played? With bucklers or knifes?

1 hour ago, Kaleun said:

With which weapon Setup should the Sisters of Slaugher be played? With bucklers or knifes?

There are compelling arguments for both setups, but I'm leaning more towards knives since with a 6" pile in, it is likely you'll get all 90 attacks out of a unit of 30.  Still haven't decided if the points premium over witches is worth it though.  

The mortal wound reflection of the shield us more efficient on small units.  A single model with a shield will reflect the same number of wounds as a unit of 30 against an identical round of attacks.

1 hour ago, Richelieu said:

There are compelling arguments for both setups, but I'm leaning more towards knives since with a 6" pile in, it is likely you'll get all 90 attacks out of a unit of 30.  Still haven't decided if the points premium over witches is worth it though.  

The mortal wound reflection of the shield us more efficient on small units.  A single model with a shield will reflect the same number of wounds as a unit of 30 against an identical round of attacks.

it is kind of a strange choice. With the 2" reach the SoS would be better behind a 1" range Witch elve squad. So the witches would stand in front of the SoS. Then the Witches should maybe have the bucklers and right behind two rows of witches the 2" range/6" pile-In behind them?!?

27 minutes ago, Kaleun said:

it is kind of a strange choice. With the 2" reach the SoS would be better behind a 1" range Witch elve squad. So the witches would stand in front of the SoS. Then the Witches should maybe have the bucklers and right behind two rows of witches the 2" range/6" pile-In behind them?!?

That would be ideal, but in my experience setups like that require too much effort to execute.  Battles are dynamic things.  What happens after the first turn when you roll a two for your run roll on the witches and a six for the sisters?  Do you gimp the sisters by keeping them behind your witches in a neat formation? 

I'm also very glad that I bought DoK as I don't like Deepkins at all. I think that Morathi, Melusai and Khinerai are better then anything from Deepkin range. 

Also love how DoK plays and how many builds ca be made. 

I will test out 30 Witches with Bucklers along with 30 SoS with knives, I like bucklers for objective bunkering reasons, 30 witches still produce a lot of attacks but with extra save and bucklers are great to guard objectives.

I like Sisters of Slaughter a lot but only if I have points for them - 6'' pile in is sweet as well as 2'' range and they don't need DoK hero nearby to get extra attacks. 

I am still thinking about 10 Doomfires and how I could I fit them, as in certain matchups they are golden and in HaggNarr you could easily guard them comfortably. 

What are you experience with battalions in competitve games I find it hard to fit them pointwise only one I tried was Slaughter Troupe as it's quite easy to take it. 

I think I'm going to keep shields on SoS as I would prefer them to stay at 2" from the enemy, instead of being hard pressed to be within 1" because of the knife.

As for the battalions I don't like Cauldron guard because of the lifetakers, and I don't like stormcast so I don't like Shadow hammer either. Temple Nest looks great but you need to commit to it completely, with 30 snakes minimum plus characters. Slaughter troupe is cool because the low investment and great bonuses, though I only planned to use a single SoS unit. Shadow Patrol is expensive, and requires you to run a lot of Khinerai, but I think it's also the answer to your other problem, as it would allow you to teleport the 10 doomfires for an awesome Alpha strike. 

I think cauldron guard has potential in a witch horde list.  60 witches with an average threat range of 20" is frightening.  I think that extra threat range plus reduction in drops, plus an artifact may be worth the 100 points battalion cost and two units of mediocre life takers.  I haven't been able to test yet to find out though.

10 hours ago, DantePQ said:

I don't as 2A per model isn't good enough on a big unit also with 6'' pile in it shouldnt be a problem to get majority of them into range. 

Yep but with Shadow Patrol it's 2x5 Doomfires so I would need to take 15 :P

Well, I really like how Doomfires play, so taking a second 5 man unit isn't a drawback to me... An additional mobile platform of spells and rend attacks is always good on my list.

1 hour ago, GammaMage said:

Shadow Patrol needs 4 units of Doomfires.

No, only 2 units of Doomfires, it needs 4 units of Khinerai Wich, at least for me, means playing them in units of 5 as more than 20 heartrenders seems a bit excessive. 

Will be buying what I need for my 2000 list tomorrow, so hopefully I'll soon have more comments to make about that army.

11 hours ago, Richelieu said:

I think cauldron guard has potential in a witch horde list.  60 witches with an average threat range of 20" is frightening.  I think that extra threat range plus reduction in drops, plus an artifact may be worth the 100 points battalion cost and two units of mediocre life takers.  I haven't been able to test yet to find out though.

I think there are many ways to build different armies and I think horde of witches in Cauldron guard is one of them .

You could easily build an army with : HaggNarr Slaughter Queen, 3xHag Queens, Medusa with Shadow Stone and Mindrazor, 3x30 Witches, 20 Lifetakers, 5 Lifetakers and 5 Heartrenders. Cauldron gives them extra save (but hard to have many of them in range) and 5++ so they are hard to kill with witchbrews. Huge unit of Lifetakers can wreak havoc and with +1 to charge dropping them in 2nd turn with re-rolls of 1 can be tricky as they will be quite more likely to make that 9'' charge, small units of Lifetakers and Heartrenders for tactical reasons. It's 150 wounds as well many of them with possible 5++ save. And if dont perform well enought there is 200 points to play with (another medusa, maybe hag queen on another cauldron, doomfires - plenty of options). Also you can hide 420 pts of your army and bunker witches near Cauldron to have whole army in first turn with 5++ save. Even if you fail a charge -  unit with Martyr's Sacrifice on would pretty hard to crack, Cauldron hits like a truck especially with Mindrazor (and is tough to move with all those saves). And you can set up multiple charges turn one.

I like this idea a lot actually. as even if you fail a charge for example unit with Martyr's Sacrifice on would pretty hard to crack, Cauldron hits like a truck especially with Mindrazor

@The Traitor I like Doomfires a lot (much better then Medusa without artifact) but 15 seems pretty excessive plus there is 120 point cost of Battalion. There little room for anything else as Shadow Patrol with 10 Doomfires + cheapest Battelines = 1220. Also I've played some games with 10 Doomfires and they are kind of cool but they cost a lot for one spell and it's easy to quickly reduce them to 9 when then lose a lot of their bonuses.

But another idea I am toying with is heavy magical army becasue with Morathi and Doomfires and Medusa you could really do some serious damage (as you can cast Arcane Bolt, Black Horror and Doomfire) and with HaggNar they would be pretty hard to kill. But such army could use some shooting at apart from 10 Heartrenders and 10 Doomfires there is none. Which bring us to Stalkers and how I  am still disappointed with them as they are awesome minis and shooting that I think even not that great could benefit DoK a lot but in my opinion apart from maybe some kind of Shadowhammer uses are the worst unit in DoK. I don't get it as they should be battleline with Medusa (yes it seems powerful but having Medusa as your general is really limiting and 160 Batteline isn't cheap), have mortal wounds on 6+ in every phase(nothing crazy as having Morathi doesn't give you acess to fantastic temple abilities) or they should cost 120-130 points.For 120 I would probably take 2 units of them.  But as for now they are just bad - maybe GH2018 will reduce them in points or make them Batteline with Medusa. 

1 hour ago, Oldmanlee said:

Hi all 

I'm looking for a new army to start and I like the look of dok my question is can you make a competitive list round the snake lady's at all?

It depends how comeptitive you wanna go. Temple Nest HaggNar could be quite good and successful but I doubt it will be top tier. 

4 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

So I think Temple Nest is perfect for you as it could be quite flexible with mix of magic, melee and shooting especially if you you plan to add Morathi. 

Ahhh ok that's cool need to pick up the battle tomb and have a good read through the book see what I can come up with 

Archived