Where did the chaos gods come from?

ChaosUnited

Are they just principles of life made form? 

Life forms die and rot. They kill out of survival or for fun. They think and plot for survival. And finally they feel pleasure in sustenance and procreation.  

Where do people think they started? Do they predate life itself. The process of the terraforming of a planet is performed by bacteria, so that'd suggest that nurgle at least does. 

IIRC they came into existence from mortals believing/ thinking of them being real

I dont remember where but i recall someone one telling me if people in the old world decided that they were not real they would fail to exist in the initial stages

very happy yo say i dont have any sources and could very much be wrong but i just remember hearing that when i first started the hobby when i was 12-13 years old

In the old Realms of Chaos books (where 40k and Fantasy shared the same universe), Khorne, Tzeentch and Nurgle originated from humans and their emotions from the first millennium onwards.

Khorne was first, coming from periods of wholesale war and bloodshed, hinted at from the start of the Dark Ages.

Tzeentch from intrigue in medieval to Renaissance courts.

Nurgle from medieval plagues like the Black Death.

Originally Tzeentch's main emotion was hope, and Nurgle's despair, which is why they are opposites.

Slaanesh came much later with the fall of the Eldar.

So I don't know how that all fits in now, but that's how it started.

The gods weren't created intentionally, they just coalesced in the warp from the dominance of particular types of emotions. Eventually they got stronger, and then when they got so strong that they became entities and could be worshipped as such they got stronger still.

Well when a Daddy God and a Momma God who happen to be siblings fall in love...

But seriously yeah Josh is right. The creation myth is a little more vague in AoS than it is in 40k. For instance Slaanesh didn't exist orignally, but was brought into existence as the Eldar fell to decadence and his birth ripped the hole in the universe that the Imperium calls the Eye of Terror.

In general, they are described as being created by people's emotions and belief. Which is why they all have very specific areas of interest.  In 40k its likely the reason the Emperor didn't tell anyone about them and tried to erase all traces of them from the world, as if he could have done that they would have become weak or even died out.

It's also why there are a bunch of other Chaos gods that pop in fluff every now and then, like Malal (Malice) or the god of the Chaos Dwarfs. Essentially if enough people feel or believe in something (like say... A two headed werewolf god) and put enough belief, the malleable stuff of Chaos will coalesce around those ideals and create a new creature most would call a Daemon. Then as it got more followers and believers it could potentially become a full chaos God.

39 minutes ago, przenicki1987 said:

So its like an instagram today get more followers and u will became god of internet :)

Wysłane z mojego SM-G928F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Jup, and like insta its easier to grow if you have one Maybe two subjects of interest for your feed ;) 

3 minutes ago, przenicki1987 said:

Ofc sex and alkochol :) and u get milion followers are now in slanesh times ? Omg kim kardashian is herald of slanesh ????!?!?!??

Wysłane z mojego SM-G928F przy użyciu Tapatalka

hahaha, What's the name of that girl whose butt implants rotted? Because I know a certain green god who might have had a hand in that ;) 

Yeah, the fluff's a bit vague but I've always understood they were reflections/embodiments of the mortal psyche — emotions given a life of their own through magic. Khorne is mostly rage, Nurgle is despair, Tzeentch is hope and Slaanesh is joy. The notion that "hope" and "joy" can both be so negative when taken to an extreme is one part of the old fluff that really appeals to me. The chaos gods, more in the old lore, were not so much "evil" as "severely unbalanced expressions of human emotion, without morality" (which I guess is still pretty much "evil").

I have a theory. The ancestrals tried to fix the dimension of the portals swalling this emotions in the warp, but they get corrupted by the emotions at last.

Now khorne, nurgle, tzeentch and slaanesh are in de bodies of the ancestrals.

I think the chaos gods in the bodyes of the ancestrals dont want exit from warp, beause the reality have danger for his states of possession.

Archived