Varanguard... maybe?

shadowgra

will varanguard maybe start to become a thing?

i mean, if they get their warscroll changed (hopefully) or they do get a good reduction in points they could become useful. they fill a specific role, the high damage cavalry, which isn't too much explored in chaos (and in general). now that they don't break allegiance there can be more of a point to pick them, also because archaon (little) can be still included in every chaos god list and make them hit at +1 and change their keyword, in order to benefit from buffs. the increasing in magic lores and such can make their shield more useful than at the start of the gh1. and of course they are awesome ^^

example: no warscroll change but they are 300 points for 3. would u pick them up or just pass?

I'd field them if they were 280pts and able to be properly marked. Until then, they are just gonna be fielded as Chaos Lords on Daemonic Mount to lead my similarly-overcosted Chaos Knights haha... Poor cavalry. Poor poor cavalry.

Didn't think archaon on horse worked with varanguard. As it's archaon.
not archaon, the everchosen 

That looks right.

The Varanguard ability to be keyworded requires Archaon. The ability on the Varanguard isn't In keyword bold for the name Archaon. So it is the model named Archaon. Not Archaon, the Everchosen.

I wouldn't expect a reduction on Archaon but one on the Varanguard feels right. Paying 120 points a model is really steep, and isn't even really justified when including the HUGE Archaon tax for the +1 to hit.

I'm toying with a fun list with Archaon, Varanguard, a few Skyfires, and a mobile general with the +1 to hit...for daemon weapons and arrows of fate doing mortal wounds on 4+.

Cheaper would certainly fit the bill! I think it would also really help if they could still have a mark without Archaon (just one). But to me a lot of things in the Everchosen Battletome seemed rushed so can be finetuned into something nice. Which will probably at some point happen :P

Never really looked at Varanguard before.  Quite like the idea of running them with Daemonweapons - because everything is better with Daemonweapons :D   Out of curiosity, why do people tend to veer towards Archaon on mount rather than foot or Everchosen?

3 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Never really looked at Varanguard before.  Quite like the idea of running them with Daemonweapons - because everything is better with Daemonweapons :D   Out of curiosity, why do people tend to veer towards Archaon on mount rather than foot or Everchosen?

He doesn't work with the varanguard, only the big one

On 8/23/2017 at 6:22 AM, Retro said:

It's a shame the gaunt summoners on foot went up, could have had varanguard and gaunt as allies in a 2000 pt game and archy already has all the marks so doesn't count as an ally!

I think we're going to be seeing a lot of the Gaunt Summoner, even at 120 points. But yeah, Everchosen in general got a lot better.

I could see Archaon + 3 Varanguard, 2 Gaunt Summoners and some points left over for summoning chaff and objective claimers.

38 minutes ago, Nico said:

They are extremely good on the charge (especially with a double activation). They are better Fulminators. With Daemonic Power buff they really rock.

Not really better xD

If they were fulminators tier i will buy them istantly

Archived