The Painting Contract - August 2017

Mohojoe

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, Charles said:

Would you like the step by step for painting them?

Absolutely, let's hear it. :)

I'll also say that I've found things generally seem to go faster second and third time round (I felt the same way painting two batches of 10 genestealers recently and the second set definitely took less time), so don't be daunted by another 20!

Another tip would be if something feels overwhelming it may be that your batch size is too large - if you find yourself happier at the idea of painting another 7, 7 and 6 try that instead. Once you're set up to make steady progress you inevitably get there sooner or later - which is way better than taking on too much and burning out!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pledge was:

Chariot base for Herald of Tzeentch with Screamers

IMG_3036.thumb.JPG.3ba992188b6cc8680ff3e40482f7514a.JPG

3 Screamers Magnetized and Painted

IMG_3035.thumb.JPG.986a21d4427c37078a1e763dab1f3fbf.JPG

IMG_3038.thumb.JPG.60935565d6a5d7ae00bc4a6b3068e9eb.JPG

Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch - not successful on completing ... [emoji20]

I had a stretch goal that included 2 Silver Tower Skaven Deathrunners. They ended up taking the place of the Summoner...

IMG_3033.thumb.JPG.2da9c42195074a71de3db649d5733dd2.JPG

All in all a successful month!

So shock horror I've done poorly. In fairness, lots of work and helped girlfriend move to another country for phd stuff for the year. But I at least did some building and undercoating. Silver isn't anywhere near that bright my phone is just not playing ball. All gotta be done in two weeks so will be cracking on!1acf2fd9add6ab58d0a6e74541b057df.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Sorry but a rather pants performance from me too. Did a little work on the Bloodthrone but still not finished and didn't even get to look at the guys from Gorechosen. Managed to pick up some wrathmongers at the weekend though. The backlog is starting to build up and not enough time to get it all done.

I guess Gorthor isn't Gorthor anymore, just as he is done too, although I kind of like that I can make this guys story my own now!

As for the others, this hasn't been a great painting month but I got all 40 of my ungor raiders built and I may have five of them done before the month officially ends, I'll update here if that happens. All in all I'm happy, as this is the first kitbash/custom thing of any real size I've attempted.

Also, sorry about the picture quality, shakey hands >.<

beast1.png

beast2.png

beast3.png

On 23/08/2017 at 0:18 PM, Charles said:

I have completed my Bloodletters ??? 

I have also completed some bonus stretch goals, the Numinous Occulum & Ophidian Archway ?

The Baleful Realmgates are nearly finished, just need to complete the mist, although it will be really tight before September as I am Best Man at a wedding this weekend . . . Brown trouser time!

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3857.JPG

I finished my Realm Gates in time for the deadline ?

I will post the sword painting information in a second, thanks for all the kind words. 

IMG_3999.JPG

So partially successful this month, got 2 units of endrinriggers, 1 unit of skywardens, Brokk Grungson (though in wrong colours) and a third arkanaut company completed and made a start on the ironclad. Nearly finished this army now, got a few pictures in my plog of everything painted so far.

IMG_1981.JPG

On 2-8-2017 at 9:15 AM, Kramer said:

- 3 daemonettes  and on more as a stand in herald
- Chaos Sorcerer (might be my hundredth as well)
- Brettonian Trebuchet (annoyingly this was the cheapest option to add a grudge thrower to my dwarfs O.o)
- a new test base as my current basing looks great but falls apart during play.

Stretch goal:
- Thanquol and/or Boneripper (the old models as a reward if I finish the rest)

Well mixed month. Thoroughly enjoyed painting my sorcerer (hundredth model), managed five Daemonettes but didn't find inspiration for the test basing and failed painting the trebuchet at the first hurdle... I ran out of Chaos black spray ?

But did paint a test cold one (only base layers for now). What do you think fire orange head or green scaly head? 

IMG_0582.JPG.7634f0a827a0784b4ca1b7ed3a439eb5.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG.434cf4f13d22891e80aa4ef984b20631.JPGIMG_0584.JPG.3cf0fa66a565e5daf5a43a579a8cac96.JPG

11 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

@Kramer fire Orange face, and the plates/scales on the top of the head in green scales to blend in with the rest of the body style.

Up to the snout you mean? That's good! Quit hard to see on the picture I admit, but on this test model the lower jaw is indeed orange! Thanks!

On 25/08/2017 at 1:42 PM, Tommy said:

Absolutely, let's hear it. :)

On 25/08/2017 at 2:45 PM, TheOtherJosh said:

Will it make your dream come true, [mention=7946]Sheriff[/mention] ?

Just give us the secret, [mention=7010]Charles[/mention] ... we just need you to clue us what to do ...

Sorry for the delay everyone, I've been channeling my inner Duncan.

The Blood Letters swords were;

1. Two thin coats of Abadon Black

2. A light dry brush of Khorne Red, focusing on the sharp edges (leaving plenty of black visible)

3. An even lighter dry brush of Evil Sunz Scarlet, only on the edges and raised centre

4.  Using a small layer brush I put a 50/50 mix of Wild Rider Red and Lahmian  Medium. Edge highlight the blade, strongly on the tip and then two or three separate lines in the middle of the blade (not all connected leaving big gaps) I think two looks best.

5. Then Troll Slayer Orange in the same areas but don't cover all of the step 4 red (used a small amount of Lahmian Medium again)

6.  Moved to my XS Artificer brush and did they same thing with Fire Dragon Bright, except for instead of following the central line I added random dots all over the centre line.

7. Then used Flash Gitz Yellow on the tips and in the centre of the Fire Dragon Bright dots. 

Occasionally I will water the paint down to much and if it started to look too thin I would reapply another coat of what ever colour I was doing. 

Archived