The Painting Contract - August 2017

Mohojoe

Some good stuff here this month! I made a strong start today with these, time to get some basecoats down 63c8c104c6f1cbca198fca65923a84ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh, that warboss head actually works well with them. I always thought it looked a bit meh.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huh, that warboss head actually works well with them. I always thought it looked a bit meh.

Thanks, just noticed a blob on top that needs sanding! It took a little work on the neck to get it to sit right as it looked too low originally. How's the Tzeentch going?

Thanks, just noticed a blob on top that needs sanding! It took a little work on the neck to get it to sit right as it looked too low originally. How's the Tzeentch going?

Armour needs final highlights, and maybe a blending layer. Basecoat started on cloth

I finished another Poxwalker last night. Man, many of these guys are juuuuuuust a little off from being zombies for AoS. It would not take much to convert them. 
20170809_085455.jpg.e1ebb5eaf8d2fc6aab4f2137fd1b0f5e.jpg
20170809_085534.jpg.1b12530c223ef9b3762a040ad1f08295.jpg
These look sweet, would love to know how you did them (for when i inevitably buy some!)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Hope I'm not too late to start this. I endeavour to paint the remaining 8 models of my 20 Moonclan Grots, and finish the 10 Spiderfang Spider Riders I started last week. Hopefully not too much to aim for for a slow painter! 

(4 weeks overseas after that, so cannot paint :(  )

3 hours ago, mastercrafted said:

These look sweet, would love to know how you did them (for when i inevitably buy some!)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Here's the thing.  I'm painting them using techniques I have not used in the previous 31 years of my painting history. I'm following Duncan's How To video for them

The result is a model that looks only about half as good as it should,  but still pops on the table and is much, much faster to do. 

Traditionally, I prime everything white,  paint the darkest shade of each color inn the model (black for metal areas), and then highlight about a zillion times up to the high points. 

This method relies on mid tones, washes, single highlights. It's been very, very difficult to stick to the method, but so far it's going well. 

My Black Plague experience probably prepped me mentally for this.  I have been speed painting and experimenting on those for about a year,  and that's made this easier.

I have 42 more of these to go,  so I'll probably be adding steps as my speed and comfort increase.

One specific thing - the tentacles are done with thinned Carroburg washes. 

Thanks mate, appreciate it!
If anyone has recommendations for Speedpainting 'ardboys, please let me know! Really not very keen on the model... that chainmail blob is just... bad [emoji20]

The only method I have found is to melt them into a single ball of plastic and then kick it as far away as you can ( I also hate ardboyz)

5 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

The only method I have found is to melt them into a single ball of plastic and then kick it as far away as you can ( I also hate ardboyz)

I'm more more starting to consider actually painting some hard boys. So many complaints about that unit and I don't see it in the pictures. I'm honestly building up a morbid fascination with them :D

I'm a bit late to the party so I'm gonna go easy on myself...

I pledge to assemble and base coat 10 pink horrors...and possibly paint 3 screamers. We'll see about finishing them, but I'll get them started.

Look forward to seeing them!

Btw: Screamers are a quick paint (or can be). The teeth are loads of fun. (I'm working on mine this month!)

I am very new to the hobby so I will start small with my first contract. I will paint 10 blood letters, and paint two realm gates. 

Ps. I've already finished the contents of Burning of Prospero this month ? Can post pictures of them as well at the end of the month.

Alright, very late start. I am 2.5 brutes in from June, missed all of July, so here we are. I will:

Finish 2.5 Brutes

Stretch: Warchanter

Build: 5 x boar boyz, 1 x Maw Krusha (this will be Decembers pledge, nice xmas present)

Archived