GHB2017 Death Preview!!

Iskander

Glad to see nagash dropped by a good amount. Didnt expect the morghasts to go down though. Curious as to how much of a reduction maxed out units will get. All in all, its good but not quite enough to bring me back from khorne yet.

I've been mostly negative in the other thread, but what's on display here isn't exactly bad.  Just not really what I was hoping or looking for, and it's disheartening to once again be getting the least support out of any of the four alliances.  The most interesting bits for us out of the General's Handbook 2 so far are ally points and discounts for max sized units, and neither of those changes are specific to Death.

Probably.  But unless we're getting more new units for it than "the same skeleton warriors you already have, with helmets", "the same skeleton warriors with no helmets", and "miscelaneous skeleton warriors with random weapons from the shadespire set", I'm not sure how much excitement that really warrants.  Give me skeleton mages, skeleton archers, skeleton chariots, skeleton catapults, skeleton monsters - with or without skeleton heroes riding them - give me /actually/ new stuff to sink my teeth into, and I'd be all over it, but I don't think we expect anything like that.

6 hours ago, Sception said:

Probably.  But unless we're getting more new units for it than "the same skeleton warriors you already have, with helmets", "the same skeleton warriors with no helmets", and "miscelaneous skeleton warriors with random weapons from the shadespire set", I'm not sure how much excitement that really warrants.  Give me skeleton mages, skeleton archers, skeleton chariots, skeleton catapults, skeleton monsters - with or without skeleton heroes riding them - give me /actually/ new stuff to sink my teeth into, and I'd be all over it, but I don't think we expect anything like that.

They better should do that, after mentioning an army called "crimson dynasty" that uses chariots in Godbeasts.

And I really should read the lore of the FEC Battletome, after that "we see our selfs as noble knights" thing in the rules again ^_^

So something I've noticed on this forum, everyone's convinced Deathless Minions and/or Ruler of the Night should/will be nerfed. Why's that then? It's good but, for me, it fails more often than not... but then the dice gods do hate me! Are we gonna nerf Disgustingly Resilient for nurgle while we're at it as well? Disgustingly Resilient is far superior. What's everyone's beef with Deathless Minions?

So something I've noticed on this forum, everyone's convinced Deathless Minions and/or Ruler of the Night should/will be nerfed. Why's that then? It's good but, for me, it fails more often than not... but then the dice gods do hate me! Are we gonna nerf Disgustingly Resilient for nurgle while we're at it as well? Disgustingly Resilient is far superior. What's everyone's beef with Deathless Minions?
Basically because unless it is it's Superior to any pure Allegiance ability. It has nothing to do with the rule itself and the fact that it has to be changed or there's no points to ever take the specific ability when the generic Alliance ability is better.

I am overall happy with what I have seen from my flesh-eater courts however I feel unless something is done to stop character sniping it will not matter in the end because no matter what the ability is the whole Army collapses if your opponent shoots and kills three to four characters, the majority of whom have a poor save and not that many wounds.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

the problem with deathless minions + RotN aren't really things points changes can fix.  The problem is that the ability, especially with RotN, is so good that it twists everything else around it.  Who cares what subfactions get battle tomes, if you'll never use their subfaction rules because DM+RotN is always better?  Who cares what cool command abilities undead characters might have, when DM+RotN is so important that you're pretty much always better off making a random unit champion your general for the 40-odd ablative wounds?  Because of the DM+RotN interaction a /random zombie/ is arguably a more fit commander of the undead than a Vampire Lord, Ghoul King, or even Nagash himself.  The only commander even close to worth giving up RotN for is Settra, and his buffs are practically parody levels of over-the-top ridiculous.

It's not that I want it to go, i depend on RotN as much as any Death player, probably more because frankly I'm kind of bad, and it makes my army more forgiving of my mistakes.  But I still can't imagine it staying as is.

20 minutes ago, Sception said:

the problem with deathless minions + RotN aren't really things points changes can fix.  The problem is that the ability, especially with RotN, is so good that it twists everything else around it.  Who cares what subfactions get battle tomes, if you'll never use their subfaction rules because DM+RotN is always better?  Who cares what cool command abilities undead characters might have, when DM+RotN is so important that you're pretty much always better off making a random unit champion your general for the 40-odd ablative wounds?  Because of the DM+RotN interaction a /random zombie/ is arguably a more fit commander of the undead than a Vampire Lord, Ghoul King, or even Nagash himself.  The only commander even close to worth giving up RotN for is Settra, and his buffs are practically parody levels of over-the-top ridiculous.

It's not that I want it to go, i depend on RotN as much as any Death player, probably more because frankly I'm kind of bad, and it makes my army more forgiving of my mistakes.  But I still can't imagine it staying as is.

Hmmm... actually, this makes a lot of sense to me. Where I play there's basically a house-rule that your general must have the hero keyword so I've never really considered a random zombie in the middle of a horde as a general. Can see how this could be taken advantage of though.

To be honest, I rarely play RotN as I think Red Fury is a an absolute beast on a VLoZD. Anywho, cheers for pointing this out.

On another note, I thought the preview was awesome! Really excited by what I saw and can't wait for the book to drop.

To be honest, I rarely play RotN as I think Red Fury is a an absolute beast on a VLoZD. Anywho, cheers for pointing this out.

This is a costly mistake. I've won several games against Death solely on the back of them taking Red Fury.

47 minutes ago, Nico said:

This is a costly mistake. I've won several games against Death solely on the back of them taking Red Fury.

And I've won a fair few games through Red Fury's savagery! Lost games as well of course but... Hey ho! 

vamp preview isn't up yet.  Death preview said the bloodlines would be previewed in a future article, but no idea when it's coming, other than some time before the book's release.

Change to hero generals only would be nice.  Giving smaller heroes the same protection as in 40k would be nice, too, but I don't think that's expected at this time.

Archived