What allies for Ironjawz (GH2)?

Anaticula

The first look into the new GH is online, and from that we can see that one of our requests has been worked into the new matched play rules: Allies.

AoSGenHandbookPreview_Image1s.jpg

Now we can finally add some shooting or a Gargant to our army.

What are your first thoughts? What would you go for right way?

• An Arachnorok (if available).
  • A Warboss on Wyvern, since his command ability buffs all Orruks (although you might thereby lose out on a trait).
  • A Warboss with a banner, since his buff affects all Orruks.
  • Rock Lobbas or Bolt Throwers
  • A Troll Hag

I've been playing a Gargant in my Ironjawz army above 1000 points and it does pretty well for me, either as a distraction or dishing out damage.  The new army construction guidelines just made my army legal :)

As for a good ally for Ironjawz?  The Ironjawz weaknesses are Mortal Wound output and ranged offense.  Perhaps a Stonehorn or Thundertusk would be a good choice?

Oh yeah, a Warboss wouldn't be bad.  On that same note, maybe a big blob of regular Greenskin Boys to up the model count around a Weirdnob Shaman?

21 minutes ago, Nico said:
  • An Arachnorok (if available).
  • A Warboss with a banner, since his buff affects all Orruks.
  • Rock Lobbas or Bolt Throwers

these seem like the ones I'd go for. Definitely want to play an Arachnarok, so in a larger battle this might be the chance.

The banner warboss helps with the wounds, but he would just make us do better what we do already pretty good.

Spear Chukkas can be nasty. If not sure, take these.

Or a moonclan shaman. 

I'm biased towards spiderfangs personally. I do think the models look awesome and they would kinda help with the mortal wounds.

A boss + 2 units of five (or 1 unit of 10) costs 300 points leaving you enough for a rock lobber, or a grot shaman.

Still I don't know the first thing about how that would behave on the table i just like the models

Forgot about the cost of the batallion. Have points increases been announced? Shouldn't that tally up to 460?

You have to take 100 of Boyz too on top of the 300 for 30 and the Big Boss, which is another 100. Rukk might actually be cheaper.

I'm waiting to see what restrictions the Allies have, specifically if they'll still be able to benefit from the Ironjawz allegiance. Though at 2000 pts (and current GHB pointing), I'm thinking of:

Allegiance: Destruction
Icebrow Hunter (160)
2 x Frost Sabres (60)
2 x Frost Sabres (60)
2 x Frost Sabres (60)
Skal (60)

Total: 400/400

Thoughts: Give an option to deep-strike, with some more bodies on the table to tie up units in melee.

or

Allegiance: Destruction
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)
3 x Leadbelchers (160) / 1 x Ironblaster (160)
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

Total: 400/400

Thoughts: Getting the Gargant in. Also, filling some gaps, by either having some ranged/artillery, and getting in the very cheap shaman.

or

Trolls (Assorted or Hag)

Thoughts: They're just fun to use.

I am nearing painting completion of a brute boss on Wyvern, so am pretty stoked I can legally use him.  and of course a gargant for some good, swinging fun!  as much as I know it would be legal, hope we don't see a ton of Stonehorns showing up in most lists.

23 minutes ago, Blueisola said:

I know it would be legal, hope we don't see a ton of Stonehorns showing up in most lists.

He now in same category, as stormcast lord-celestant on drake, based on of path to glory info, so i think we will see price of Frost Lord on Stonehorne near 600 points.

2 formation it's very cool i think. As i understand it's will be 2 level battalion on top of gorefist and ironfist, so i think roster of battalion will be like this:
Bloottoofs:
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha
GoreFist (5-10 units)
Any number of any other battalion
Any number of Ironjawz units
Ironsun:
Megaboss on foot
Ironfist(5-10 units)

2 hours ago, Imperial said:

2 formation it's very cool i think. As i understand it's will be 2 level battalion on top of gorefist and ironfist, so i think roster of battalion will be like this:
Bloottoofs:
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha
GoreFist (5-10 units)
Ironsun:
Megaboss on foot
Ironfist(5-10 units)

I hope not! Mega batallions are a total waste of time and gw should stop supporting them. The people playing games at this size is next to nothing. Fingers crossed for accessible cool batallions. 

10 minutes ago, Koalaninja said:

I hope not! Mega batallions are a total waste of time and gw should stop supporting them. The people playing games at this size is next to nothing. Fingers crossed for accessible cool batallions. 

I hope we will see second level battalions. It's will give good boost for ironjawz.

So, going off the Death preview today, looks like Allies will be decided by keywords (no surprise there). This will allow them to include entire races (Orruk), factions (Greenskinz), and individual units (Orruk Warboss).

I've always been thematic with my Ironjawz in fluffy list building, trying to keep to the idea that they "Always look down upon the smaller green races." Now I'm just hoping that the Ironjawz preview in the coming days/weeks will stick to some of that. Yes, that's even knowing that the under-costed Grot Shaman will be out of our range.

24 minutes ago, Tuluth said:

I've always been thematic with my Ironjawz in fluffy list building, trying to keep to the idea that they "Always look down upon the smaller green races." Now I'm just hoping that the Ironjawz preview in the coming days/weeks will stick to some of that. Yes, that's even knowing that the under-costed Grot Shaman will be out of our range.

I totally agree with that, though I have to point out that in one of the AudioDramas there is a big mob of Grots accompanying an Ironjawz army. I must say I liked the idea that the IJs did not tolerate anyone. That made them so nicely elitist. As you say, we will see how far they go. For the gameplay it would be good to have access to some Grots. For "da feelin" it wouldn't.

I'm pondering making an Arachnorok with a Shaman, and convert it to have lots of steel on the back instead of the basket, and use a converted shaman/chanter I have leftover from the countless bundle-boxes to make a Gul'dan to stand atop it. We'll just said he's still a grot, but uses growth hormones. Made of mushrooms. And demon blood.

Archived