Death Allies

Malakithe

28 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I will probably stay almost pure Flesh-Eater Courts as I like their fluff.  Allies will give me the option to run a Court Wizard (i.e. Necromancer) or Winged Angels (i.e. Morghast) I guess, but that's basically it.  I'm more curious what the allegiance abilities will be...

Those guys look really cool. I play them in Total War, Isabella gets tons of bat-buffs in her skill tree. Great fun to play. 

Death preview article is up.

No allegiance-level spell lores, which is a huge disappointment to me.

Everything in the deathlords faction got at least 20 points cheaper, up to Nagash who is 100 points cheaper.

Ghouls get a variety of faction traits which should let you tailor your army a bit.

hexwraiths are battle line for nighthaunt armies - possibly instead of spirit hosts?

Nighthaunt armies get a 'deep strike' option that lets their units set up anywhere from reserve so long as a wraith or banshee is on the table.  Need to roll a 3+ for each unit, though.  Wouldn't shock me if this replaces their summoning spells.

soulblight will get bloodlines, to be previewed in a future article (necrarch-esque and blood-dragon-esque options mentioned)

apparently units will get a points discount when taken at their max size.  If skeletons remain as they are, that would be pretty disgusting, though I fear we'll see the existing 'hoard bonus' for skeleton warriors nerfed in some way, either in this book or a future one.

Not too much info.  None of what's there is bad exactly, but I'm mostly disappointed about what isn't there - spell lores in particular.

This isn't mentioned either way, but it's a worrying omission as it would be an obvious selling point. Soulblight still might have a lore, which would explain why they are getting another specific article later.

I'm not seeing much point to the Nighthaunt trait. Deepstrike to 9" is fine for Pew Pew Stormcast, but not much help for Death. 

"Followers of the Great Necromancer can expect updated command traits, artefacts and allegiance abilities."  Sounds like a complete list, and no spell lores mentioned.  I'm 100% positive that if they were there, the preview would have mentioned it.

Nighthaunt trait might be better than foot-slogging it for some slower stuff, but yeah, in general doesn't seem like a big deal.  Hopefully they've got some other ability to go with it, otherwise I doubt battleline hexwraiths would be worth trading deathless minions for that.

I guess the real question is, are there any allegiance abilities worth sacrificing the "death save" for. 

Allies are something I have been hoping for. Support units like Necromancers are designed to benefit other factions. They needed a way to allow them without messing up allegiance or more importantly battle line options. Now my Deathrattle can take one, and my wife can use her Mortis engines with her night haunts. 

I agree no spells is a bummer, if true. Flesh Eater Courts especially deserve some as they are the only book out. Hopefully they squeezed some in.

Meh, Flesh Eater Courts hardly have any wizards to their name.  The main subfactions that would really benefit from spell lores are Deathlords and Deathmages, neither of which is getting subfaction rules.  Mostly it was allegiance level lores I was hoping for, so it's a pretty big disappointment that they aren't there.

Frankly, the biggest changes for Death armies out of this preview are allies and horde discounts, neither of which is even Death-specific.  So far, it looks like they could have left the death section out of this book entirely, and it wouldn't have made much of a difference one way or the other.

Eh.  Maybe something will come of the bloodline rules.  I don't know.  For now, I'm going back to sleep.  Please wake me up when there's an undead model release announced for AoS that isn't just repackaging old models with round bases. -_-

2 hours ago, Sception said:

2 hours ago, Sception said:

The main subfactions that would really benefit from spell lores are Deathlords and Deathmages, neither of which is getting subfaction rules.

Well, let's hope that the reason why there are no additional spells is the same as why there are no deathlord allegiance abilities - because they will be included in the upcoming battletome... Given the importance of magic for Death (especially with Nagash), it would make sense to give them a few more spells, similar to Tzeentch.

I might be wrong, but I am sure that GW has a masterplan...

I’m a little disappointed about spell lore too, but I think to do death magic justice would really require a battletome (unlikely, unfortunately). Maybe in the future they could roll deathlords and death mages into a battletome with a spell lore and expanded allies choices for taking minions. That’d make me happy.

There is no reason why an alliance level spell lore couldn't be done in the general's handbook with all the other alliance level traits and abilities.  We're talking literally six lines.  With the requisite paragraph on how to select them, it wold still be only one column out of a single 2 to 3 column page.  Furthermore, battle tomes only cover subfactions, they don't cover alliance level stuff, so a battle tome literally couldn't do a Death spell lore.  Subfaction lores, sure, but those would be pretty narrow.  Deathlords hardly has any units in it, and all their characters are unique, so a spell lore doesn't really make sense for them.  Death mages have no units, just one character and one behemoth (that frankly would fit better in nighthaunts), so there's no way they're getting a battle tome at all.  Flesh eaters only have a few casters, all of which are mostly melee characters with casting ability as an afterthought.  Deathrattle and deadwalkers and nighthaunts have no casters, if you don't count commander traits.  Tomb Kings are relic unlikely to see future official support beyond the occasional points cost updates.  About the only subfaction that /really/ makes sense with their own spell lore is soulblight, and that's only really if we get vamp casters that aren't first and foremost fighty heroes.

I'm not saying you /couldn't/ do subfaction spell lores for death subfactions, but if you wanted a proper lore of Necromancy, the best, and frankly near about the only place to put it isn't in a subfaction battle tome, but rather at the overall allegiance level, and the proper place for that is either in the general's handbook or in the grand alliance compendiums.

1 hour ago, Sception said:

There is no reason why an alliance level spell lore couldn't be done in the general's handbook with all the other alliance level traits and abilities.  We're talking literally six lines.  With the requisite paragraph on how to select them, it wold still be only one column out of a single 2 to 3 column page.  Furthermore, battle tomes only cover subfactions, they don't cover alliance level stuff, so a battle tome literally couldn't do a Death spell lore.  Subfaction lores, sure, but those would be pretty narrow.  Deathlords hardly has any units in it, and all their characters are unique, so a spell lore doesn't really make sense for them.  Death mages have no units, just one character and one behemoth (that frankly would fit better in nighthaunts), so there's no way they're getting a battle tome at all.  Flesh eaters only have a few casters, all of which are mostly melee characters with casting ability as an afterthought.  Deathrattle and deadwalkers and nighthaunts have no casters, if you don't count commander traits.  Tomb Kings are relic unlikely to see future official support beyond the occasional points cost updates.  About the only subfaction that /really/ makes sense with their own spell lore is soulblight, and that's only really if we get vamp casters that aren't first and foremost fighty heroes.

I'm not saying you /couldn't/ do subfaction spell lores for death subfactions, but if you wanted a proper lore of Necromancy, the best, and frankly near about the only place to put it isn't in a subfaction battle tome, but rather at the overall allegiance level, and the proper place for that is either in the general's handbook or in the grand alliance compendiums.

Yup, hence why I believe the tome chaos have been got blades/disciples would suit us best a hordes of nagash style book. 

13 hours ago, Sception said:

I think you're probably right. Though I'd also be happy to get a reworked grand alliance compendium with shuffled sub-factions and a deep spell lore.

21 hours ago, Malakithe said:

It was just a preview. I'm guessing the necro bloodlines will get some kind of wizardry stuffs...

I like the deepstriking ghosts...need to block a charge of high rend guys? Poof, spirit hosts. Or surprise! Back door mourngul!

The question though is if it is worth losing the 5+ death save, which right now is key to their survability. It really going to depend on everything else they get. They really need the Mortis engine. Then their new deployment would be brutal.

2 hours ago, bonzai said:

The question though is if it is worth losing the 5+ death save, which right now is key to their survability. It really going to depend on everything else they get. They really need the Mortis engine. Then their new deployment would be brutal.

Nothing is wprth that losss.. to see anyway the other option, that I agree

Archived